PDA

View Full Version : The Best Arcade Game Ever

Bricktop
06-14-2004, 03:05 AM
Today Arcades have taken a back seat to home consoles and it's easy to see why. Systems are more powerful then ever and more money can be made with a straight to console release today. But for some of the older folks on this board, we can remember both the first and second renaissance of Arcade machines; the huge boom in the 80's and the resurgence in the 90's. So after downloading a ton of wonderful games for Mame tonight, it made me think of making this thread. List the games which you found to be the best arcade games ever, the type of games you spent hours playing and wasted a shit load of money on. Here are my top three.

1. Street Fighter II- led the 90's Arcade comeback
2. Mortal Kombat I/II - Ground breaking for their time, esp part 2.
3. NBA Jam - the only sports game I ever played in the Arcade, totally addictive.

Honorable mention:
Virtua Fighter- introduced us all to the world of 3d fighting
the 2d side scollers (spiderman, Simpsons, final fight, TMNT I/II)

Funky Fly
06-14-2004, 04:45 AM
The ones you mentioned plus these:

Combatribes

virtually ANY shooter out there

WWF Wrestlefest

probably a bunch more I'm forgetting.

Ninti the Mad
06-14-2004, 04:57 AM
Heavy Barrel

Bricktop
06-14-2004, 11:05 AM
The ones you mentioned plus these:

Combatribes

WWF Wrestlefest

probably a bunch more I'm forgetting.

I downloaded these two as well. :y: You never realize how good the arcade versions were until you play them. I just played Narc again for the first time in 10 years and boy is it sweet.

AareDub
06-14-2004, 11:23 AM
I spent a lot of money on....

1. Mortal Kombat
2. Virtua Fighter
3. Tekken
4. Simpsons Arcade Game
5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :D

MrMeJW
06-14-2004, 11:51 AM
You never realize how good the arcade versions were until you play them.
Doesn't that go for just about any game?

Xero
06-14-2004, 12:01 PM
The Simpsons Arcade Game
Teenage Mutant Ninja Tutles Arcade Game
WWF WrestleFest/Superstars
Pac Man
This one jet game, I dunno what it's called, but you sat down and used a stick...
That tiny racing game I loved too...

The Ravishing One
06-14-2004, 02:06 PM
WWF Wrestlefest

Im glad you mentioned this. This was the game of the early 90's imo.

The Ravishing One
06-14-2004, 02:07 PM
The Simpsons Arcade Game
Teenage Mutant Ninja Tutles Arcade Game
WWF WrestleFest/Superstars
Pac Man
This one jet game, I dunno what it's called, but you sat down and used a stick...
That tiny racing game I loved too...

Was the Turtles game, a 4 player one?

If so that f'n ruled.

Funky Fly
06-14-2004, 07:27 PM
Die Hard/Dynamite Cop

Nowhere Man
06-14-2004, 07:31 PM
All of the Final Fight/Double Dragon clones, especially the X-Men and Aliens vs Predator ones.

Cyke
06-17-2004, 04:52 AM
I played a lot of arcade games, and I always loved it when some of them were ported to home consoles. Sure, I enjoyed Street Fighter: The Movie (probably the only one who did), X-Men (vs. and beat-'em-up), The Simpsons, Smash TV and Tekken, to name a few. However, if I had to narrow it down to 5, they'd be...

05. Killer Instinct - This series is now forgotten to most gamers today, but it's original introduction was a big one. This is the game that planted the seed in my brain to one day desire to pursue a game design career (Wow, I just remembered that). The graphics were drop-dead gorgeous, a big sign of things to come from RARE. The gameplay was addictive, and its home version, while technically inferior, offered the key elements that made the fighting game fun in the first place. A classic, in my book.

04. WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game - I don't know if this is the "WWF WrestleFest/Superstars" that you're mentioning, but I know it by the previous name. You selected from several superstars, such as Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, The Undertaker, Razor Ramon, Bam Bam Bigelow, Yokozuna, Lex Luger and Doink (I think that's all of them). It was over-the-top, crazy, heavy arcade-style wrestling that somehow managed to be extremely fun. I was so glad I had gotten my PS near launch just so I could play the nearly identical home version. It's pretty much my favorite wrestling game ever, bar none.

03. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time - You have to admit, those of us who grew up with the Turtles were truly spoiled unlike any other generation. Infinite amount of toys, "weapons," action figures and video games were at our disposal, and unlike most licensed games, TMNT titles ruled. They consistently provided fans of the show, or anyone else, with the best the now-ignored beat-em-up genre had to offer. TMNT IV was the culmination of the ideal: a game that could truly mimic the look and movements of the characters, whether from the comic book or cartoon, and implement them into a excessively fun action game. Kudos to KONAMI.

02. Mortal Kombat II - The pinnacle of the series. MK3 was nice, but it wasn't as big an upgrade as MKII, even with the combo system. MKII introduced fatalities, animalities, Baraka, Shao Kahn and numerous new stage fatalities. It improved on the gameplay set from the previous title, and creatively expanded on the gory aspect that made the series popular in the first place. Sometimes I have a hard time choosing between MKII and the game that shares my #1 spot, and that's saying a lot.

01. Street Fighter II: Turbo - Street Fighter II was already awesome, but not being able to stab an opponent with Vega, knock 'em out with Balrog, kick them to oblivion with Sagat, or Psycho-crush them with Bison was a big letdown... until Turbo came out. The amount of time I spent playing this game in the arcade and SNES is considered by many as unhealthy and life-threatening. This is the series that no only introduced me to fighters, but made me a loyal follower of the genre. MKII almost shares the top spot with SFII, but the latter's gameplay is simply unique in its ability to provide agelessly fun gameplay.

SukkaChump
06-17-2004, 05:46 PM
Die Hard kicked ass

along with WWF Wrestlefest
Marvel Vs. Capcom was great
also Time Killers was a badass game, banned from consoles.. heh

Requiem
06-18-2004, 02:48 PM
I always liked shooting games, with the hand-held guns.

Scarface
06-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Time Crisis 2
Simpsons Arcade Game
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Simpsons Arcade

All my fave arcade games, and they all still exist around my town cept Turtles.

Bricktop
06-19-2004, 11:47 AM
Doesn't that go for just about any game?

Sorry, I meant when you were weaned on the home versions, say the snes version of Narc, or Killer instinct, then play the 100% accurate arcade version. you really notice the port diffrences, which occured back then compared to today's systems.

Ferocious
06-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Its a straight out fight between Double Dragon, Golden Axe, and Bubble Bobble.

Penner
06-19-2004, 10:18 PM
Killer Instinct did kick ass. I remember all the combos and shit. Magnificent graphics for its time.

Nark Order
06-19-2004, 10:36 PM
Pacman. Only arcade game I'll play.

DaveWadding
06-20-2004, 07:11 AM
04. WWF Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game - I don't know if this is the "WWF WrestleFest/Superstars" that you're mentioning, but I know it by the previous name. You selected from several superstars, such as Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, The Undertaker, Razor Ramon, Bam Bam Bigelow, Yokozuna, Lex Luger and Doink (I think that's all of them). It was over-the-top, crazy, heavy arcade-style wrestling that somehow managed to be extremely fun. I was so glad I had gotten my PS near launch just so I could play the nearly identical home version. It's pretty much my favorite wrestling game ever, bar none.

03. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time - You have to admit, those of us who grew up with the Turtles were truly spoiled unlike any other generation. Infinite amount of toys, "weapons," action figures and video games were at our disposal, and unlike most licensed games, TMNT titles ruled. They consistently provided fans of the show, or anyone else, with the best the now-ignored beat-em-up genre had to offer. TMNT IV was the culmination of the ideal: a game that could truly mimic the look and movements of the characters, whether from the comic book or cartoon, and implement them into a excessively fun action game. Kudos to KONAMI.

No, Wrestlefest was OLD SCHOOL. We're talking Hogan/Perfect/Warrior/DiBiase/Natural Disasters old school. And WM: Arcade was crap.

TMNT III: The Manhattan Project still owns any other NES game ever, barring Battletoads.

Jonster
06-20-2004, 04:03 PM
Time Crisis 2.
Easily the one I've spent most money on, and I own it for the PS2 as well!

I have the top score for both machine's single player, and the 2 player top score (with a friend from uni, although he was dead for most of it) at the machine in our student's union.

Have had an audience playing the Time Crisis games, when I was in Majorca, some locals gave me money to show them more of the game (I wasn't at my best cause I was in a bar).
And some of the staff watched me play Time Crisis 3 in Nottingham a couple of weeks back.

Speaking of TC3, it's so hard - twice the length of TC2 :'(

Old school arcade game?

Probably Street Fighter 2 or Daytona USA.

Funky Fly
06-20-2004, 04:41 PM
Time Crisis 2 was pretty easy. :-\

Usually I suck at gun games like that.

Jonster
06-20-2004, 04:52 PM
TC2 is the easiest of them, but different machines have different difficulty levels.

My Final Heaven
07-08-2004, 12:10 PM
Street Fighter Alpha 3 is still one of the best arcade games I've ever played. We need more women wrestlers like Rainbow Mika in america!

http://www.powerall.com.ar/guias/dreamcast/streetfighter/index.18.jpg

http://rekkadragon.tripod.com/mikapowerbomb.jpg

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

blueskies
07-20-2004, 05:52 AM
Raiden
Aero Fighters

The One
07-20-2004, 03:53 PM
My top 5...

5. The Simpsons
4. Cruisein'USA
3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
2. Time Crisis II (I always used to play that with my dad)
1. Aliens vs. Preditor

Tornado
07-20-2004, 08:10 PM
Time Crisis 2
Simpsons Arcade Game
Simpsons Arcade

All my fave arcade games, and they all still exist around my town cept Turtles.

WHAT?

Where the fuck does The Simpsons Arcade Game exist in Worthing? Tell meeeeee

loopydate
07-20-2004, 09:13 PM
After Burner?

el fregadero
07-20-2004, 09:23 PM
Mortal Kombat
alot of those shooter games, too

Xero
07-20-2004, 09:40 PM
After Burner?
Yeah! :p

Just found a pic of the arcade case... I used to play the big one...

http://www.nemoprod.net/emu/arcade/fburnshot/ba.gif

Was the Turtles game, a 4 player one?

If so that f'n ruled.

I know I'm a little late, but yeah...

Oxstar
07-21-2004, 01:26 PM
European Football Champ