PDA

View Full Version : Fubar

The Mask
06-15-2004, 07:55 PM
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0302585/

FUBAR (an obscene acronym from the military) is an amazing accomplishment. It tore onto the scene at the Sundance Film Festival in 2001, after being turned down by the Toronto fest. The classic success story of guys who maxed out their credit cards (including their Canadian Tire cards) and took a giant leap into the uncertain future - and it paid off. Telefilm Canada decided to fund the movie (after it was already shot on digital video), and "beefed" the budget up to $350,000 (Cdn.) They did a good job promoting the movie through a soundtrack featuring Sum 41, Gob, Sloan, etc. doing classic Canadian headbangin' tunes. This movie has it all: hilarity and drunken hijinx, intense drama, and incredible acting (although I wonder how much the beer had to do with this). Go see this movie, it is much more than the trailers would suggest: much more than guys acting loud and stupid. It's actually a touching film, with a look at the two main character's fear of mortality.

I just stole that from imdb, but man, I just got back from the cinema. It's like a mockumentry, but you could be forgiven for thinking it was serious. it's a couple of years old now but it's only just come on at the cinema here, and it was going to stop showing tomorrow so I went to see it. It's kind of hard to get into at first cause you just think of the two main characters as cocks, but they sort of grow on you.

There's plenty of stuff to keep it interesting and to say it's a mockumentary full of people I've never heard of before, the acting was incredibly believable.

Worth it just for this bit:

[at a funeral]
Dean Murdoch: Hey, Mrs. Mitchener, you wanna hear a joke?
Mrs. Mitchener: No, thank you.
Dean Murdoch: It's really funny. I'm sure you'll like this one. What do you call a Pakistani who's seen everything?
Terry: Done everything.
Dean Murdoch: Yeah. Seen everything, been everywhere, done everything. And he's from Pakistan.
Mrs. Mitchener: I don't know.
Dean Murdoch: Binder Dondat.

diothoir
06-15-2004, 10:15 PM
LOL at Binder Dondat