PDA

View Full Version : The Oddities?

Boondock Saint
06-18-2004, 04:25 AM
I'm watching Rock Bottom from '98 (dunno why) and the current match is the Oddities (Kurrgan and Golga) vs. Headbangers. Since I started watching wrestling a few months after (right before Mania XV), I think I missed the height of the Oddities populairty.

Just wondering how over they actually were because on this PPV they're getting pretty good crowd reaction/interaction. I found that interesting.

Looks like the stable is made up of Kurrgan, Giant Silva, Luna, and Golga? I seem to remember seeing them on Jakked back in the day, and they were sometimes accompanied by ICP right?

Also, was Golga someone else previously or was he just a random wrestler?

Thanks in advance.

Funky Fly
06-18-2004, 06:23 AM
Yeah, at the start, they had the ICP rapping their theme and they were fairly popular. Then ICP turned heel and everyone was like "WTF?". Also, I found it hard to believe that Luna was a face, since she was Psycho bitch just a few weeks earlier. And if I remember right, Golga loved this Eric Cartman doll thing and someone ripped it up for cheap heel heat. I think Golga was originally Earthquake (or maybe it was Sgt. Slaughter :?: ).

And if I remember right, Giant Silva only wrestled like 2 times (and sucked very very badly).

KayfabeMan
06-18-2004, 06:24 AM
Looks like the stable is made up of Kurrgan, Giant Silva, Luna, and Golga? I seem to remember seeing them on Jakked back in the day, and they were sometimes accompanied by ICP right?

Also, was Golga someone else previously or was he just a random wrestler?

Thanks in advance.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll......Sorry I was thinking of
LOD just now. They popped into my head for some strange reason.

Yep; it was Kurrgan, Silva, Golga, Luna & occasionally The ICP (like
you said) - also,at one point - you might kinda count Sable as one
of their "unofficial members".

Golga was portrayed by John "Earthquake" Tenta - a real good guy.

KayfabeMan
06-18-2004, 06:25 AM
I was posting at the same time; didn't see FF's post. My bad.

Danny Electric
06-18-2004, 11:08 AM
I think it was the Headbangers who ripped up Cartman.

BCWWF
06-18-2004, 12:29 PM
I remember Golga, wasn't he a giant?

I <3 Negros
06-19-2004, 08:56 AM
I remember Golga, wasn't he a giant?
That was Kurrgan he looked like a skinny Andre the Giant

The Mackem
06-19-2004, 09:10 AM
It was that Jackal person who introduced them wasn't it? Wasn't that Don Callis or somebody?

I remember Golga coming down at the Royal Rumble which started with Austin and McMahon (when Austin had "No chance in hell"). There was that $ bounty on Austin, Golga came down at 3 or something and tried to throw Austin out.

It was downhill for the Oddities after that :(

HeartBreakMan2k
06-19-2004, 01:10 PM
Jackal (Don Callis) introduced Kurgan as part of the Truth Commission. That eventually broke up and I believe Kurgan was the only one of the group (There were three, Kurgan, Recon and someone else) who stayed.

Kane Knight
06-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Jackal (Don Callis) introduced Kurgan as part of the Truth Commission. That eventually broke up and I believe Kurgan was the only one of the group (There were three, Kurgan, Recon and someone else) who stayed.
BEat me to it. anyways, i think the fourth person was named Sniper or something similar (The name meshed with both recon and Jackal, so I think it was Sniper).

HeartBreakMan2k
06-19-2004, 03:13 PM
BEat me to it. anyways, i think the fourth person was named Sniper or something similar (The name meshed with both recon and Jackal, so I think it was Sniper).

Sounds right to me.

Kane Knight
06-19-2004, 04:13 PM
It's funny, because one of the few Q&A forum questions I made was on the subject of the name of this stable...

Lot of people then thought I meant the Odditties too. :D

Longshot
06-19-2004, 05:57 PM
I never thought they were that popular...I kind fo thought they were lame, espically Golga walking around with his Cartman doll.

Hollywood Red
06-19-2004, 06:33 PM
Jackal (Don Callis) introduced Kurgan as part of the Truth Commission. That eventually broke up and I believe Kurgan was the only one of the group (There were three, Kurgan, Recon and someone else) who stayed.Didn't one of them go on to be known as Bull Buchanan?

Funky Fly
06-19-2004, 06:42 PM
Didn't one of them go on to be known as Bull Buchanan?
Yup. I think it was Recon.

06-19-2004, 06:56 PM
George "the Animal" Steele was also in the Oddities. He didn't wrestle, natch, but he did make the occassional appearance at ringside with them. And I'll have to agree with Funky in that I THINK Buchanan was Recon whilst Sniper was... some guy.

Kane Knight
06-19-2004, 07:14 PM
Didn't one of them go on to be known as Bull Buchanan?
Not exactly somethign I'd put on my resumé

Funky Fly
06-19-2004, 07:35 PM
George "the Animal" Steele was also in the Oddities. He didn't wrestle, natch, but he did make the occassional appearance at ringside with them. And I'll have to agree with Funky in that I THINK Buchanan was Recon whilst Sniper was... some guy.
Actually, Steele did have a couple of matches on Shotgun Saturday Night. I remember him teaming with Golga.

Rob
06-19-2004, 08:19 PM
Sniper was a guy called John Rambo. He was a big name on the European circuit at the time but I wasn't too impressed with him.

Giant Silva is now working in Japan. Sucky badly too but he actually has a couple of a big shoot fight wins (even though he sucks at that too).

Silent
06-19-2004, 09:50 PM
Bull Buchanan was Recon, I remember that.

HankScorpio
06-20-2004, 11:05 AM
hahaha Bull Buchanan

Loose Cannon
06-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Man I hated the Oddities. They just plain sucked. The Truth Commission was part of that "Gang Wars" era and they were the last team to be intoduced. Dam, if you think about it, there were a lot of fk'n teams. Los Boriquas(sp) Nation, DX, Hart Foundation, DOA, Truth Commission.

Anyway, they gave Kurrgan a little push and the others just sucked.

The Mackem
06-21-2004, 09:49 AM
Truth Commission did bugger all really though, didn't they? It was the worst out of all of the stables. In fact I'm not even recognising them as a stable. They were crap.

HeartBreakMan2k
06-21-2004, 12:47 PM
Yeah, basically they did jack shit. It origionally was supposed to be a fairly decent stable to join the stable craze, however it ultimately just turned into something to build up Kurgan. As Sniper and Recon usually needed him, and then he destroyed both to dismantle the group (if I recall correctly, which I may).

BigDaddyCool
06-21-2004, 05:12 PM
The South African Truth Commision was the most f'ed up angle ever because every week it had radical changes done to it, for no appearent reason. At first they were lead by some fat dude. Then they lost a member, then Don Callis was the Jackel and was there manager, then somehow the became the Oddities.

Kane Knight
06-21-2004, 06:13 PM
The South African Truth Commision was the most f'ed up angle ever because every week it had radical changes done to it, for no appearent reason. At first they were lead by some fat dude. Then they lost a member, then Don Callis was the Jackel and was there manager, then somehow the became the Oddities.
Not exactly.

The Mackem
06-22-2004, 07:15 AM
Nah Kuurgan and The Jackal turned on the others didn't they? then the Jackal introduced the Oddities some time later.

The Mackem
06-22-2004, 07:15 AM
The funniest thing was Luna as a face lol

Bo
06-26-2004, 01:44 AM
The funniest thing was Luna's face lol

Thats more like it.

Savio
06-26-2004, 03:19 AM
http://slam.canoe.ca/WrestlingImages/jackyl_oddities.jpg

Xero
06-26-2004, 11:38 AM
I still have my Kurragan action figure from the Truth Commision around here somewhere, yes, they made an action figure pack with him and another member :lol:

I remember the Oddities... I liked them, dunno why...

In the pic Savior posted, I recgonize Jackel, Kurragan, Golga, and Luna, who's the guy on the right who looks like The Coach sorta? (I know it's not him, though) And did that midget come to the ring often?

Loose Cannon
06-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Actually, the Oddtities were kick ass when they started out cause they were heel. They were like a couple of crazy freaks from a dark carnival. Like in the movie "Something Wicked come this way." They had this slow dreary music I think too. Those other two guys were from the Howard Stern Show I think.