PDA

View Full Version : LC's Random Wrestling Moment of the Day: 6/26/04

Loose Cannon
06-26-2004, 06:25 PM
THE NWO AND THE MGM Studios
Year: 1996

Yeah, the single greatest NWO moment, IMO, happened on Monday Nitro at the MGM Studio's in Florida at the very begginning of the NWO's run. The NWO had it's three original members as of this moment in Hall, Nash and Hogan and the group was creating havoc and mischief around WCW at this time. They were attacking the wrestlers of WCW all the time and get thrown out of the arena by cops. They would interupt WCW programing at any time and would seemingly bring the show to a standstill, especially on this episode of Nitro.

It all happened on the July 29th, 1996, Monday Night Nitro in a six man tag match that pitted Lugar, Sting and Savage against Flair, Benoit and Mongo. (I'm actually not 100% sure if it was Benoit and Mongo teaming with Flair) Anyway, during the match, Jimmy Hart (who was managing the Dungeon of Doom at the time) came to the ringside area and started yelling to Lugar, "Help, Help, the Outsiders are in the back. Lugar didn't pay much attention to Hart because storyline wise, Hart might have been planning a set up for Lugar as Hart was in the Dungeon of Doom. But Hart kept pleading and Lugar finally jumped off the apron and told Sting "Come on, we got to go."

The cameras then quickly panned to the backstage area, where a trailor was, with wrestlers inside of it. Down on the ground on the outside was Arn Anderson and Buff Bagwell. The Outsiders, Hall and Nash, are shown with baseball bats in thier hands. Larry Zbyszko delievered a classic line, "Ohhh, they got baseball bats, them cowardly jerks." All of a sudden Scotty Riggs appears from the camera and has a looks at Hall like "WTF is going on" and then just checks on his partner at the time, Buff "The Stuff" Bagwell. Hall sees Riggs checking on Buff and immediately pics up a HUGE Megaphone and smacks Riggs sqaure in the face with it. OK, WTF RIGGS? You see two guys with baseball bats, who just laid out you friends, and you're just going to turn your back on them. What a fk'n Moron.

Ok, here comes the spot of the moment. After Riggs gets laid out, Rey Mysterio appears from the trailor and quickly jumps up on a railing. He tries to hit Nash with a cross body or something, but Nash just catches him and LAUNCHES HIM FACE FIRST INTO THE TRAILOR LIKE A FRICKEN DART. Holy Sh**. Rey was down, Riggs down, Buff "The Stuff" down, Anderson down, WCW down. Hall and Nash have a big laugh at all this havoc and Hall goes, "Is this the best you got, where's the rest of WCW." Hall and Nash then get into a limo as Randy Savage jumps on top of it as the limo speeds away. Someone (off camera) yells "Oh my god, oh my god" as the limo, with Macho Man op top, speeds away. Now if you have the Monday Night Wars DVD, you will see Eric Bischoff say that thw whole scene looked so real that the Florida residents who lived around the arena actually thought there was a gang war going on. So I'm thinking those "Oh my god" screams was probably from this worried lady who lived around the studio. LOL.

OK, so we come back from commercial and we see Sting, Lugar, Flair, Benoit, Mongo, Jimmy Hart, Eddie Guerrero and a few others hovering around thier fallen WCW comrades. Sting is yelling at Eddie to ask Mysterio what happened, Mongo is screaming at the top of his lungs, Jimmy Hart is going nuts tryinh to get help, Ms. Elizabeth was screaming. It was just pure chaos back there. Then we go to another commercial and we go back to normal afterwards.

Thoughts: Wow, this was truely CLASSIC Stuff. This single moment really personified the NWO as a violent and take no sh** group. They had been portrayed as comedians some of the time in the weeks before, but they really showed what they were capable of doing with this segment. It put WCW on a standstill and alligned the heels and babyfaces of WCW together against a common enemy. That's what I liked most about the NWO storyline, the fact that WCW came together, even if guys were feuding with each other, to fight against the NWO. All around great stuff. Okay, until Next Time, RKO AND OUT. :)

The Mackem
06-26-2004, 06:50 PM
Christ Loose Cannon, you had me excited just reading it. I never really watched WCW or had the capacity to back then but man, I'm going to go look for this on Soulseek or somewhere.

Favre4Ever
06-26-2004, 06:59 PM
crazy moments LC....crazy moments...

Disturbed316
06-26-2004, 07:06 PM
Yeah, I remember seeing that happen and was like...holy fuck!

Funky Fly
06-26-2004, 07:09 PM
That was good times.

The Mackem
06-26-2004, 07:30 PM
That was good times.

*searches Funky Fly's files*

Batsu
06-27-2004, 02:56 AM
I remember seeing this as well. Crazy, crazy, crazy...yep, WCW pioneered that archtype. If only they had kept it as nWo vs WCW and not the "Hogan and nWo with 20 000 members" show...

Mayo
06-27-2004, 03:17 AM
The nWo storyline was basically the only time that I watched WCW. I saw Bash at the Beach when the nWo originally formed, I watched the Giant join, and I remember seeing Sting and the Wolfpac. I never watched WCW other than that, as I was a big WWF fan ever since I was a kid. This was a pretty damn cool moment, and very realistic looking as well. Great recap, LC.

Lara Emily
06-27-2004, 04:08 AM
Makes me wish I had been into wrestling at that point.

PorkSoda
06-27-2004, 07:33 AM
Now if you have the Monday Night Wars DVD, you will see Eric Bischoff say that thw whole scene looked so real that the Florida residents who lived around the arena actually thought there was a gang war going on. So I'm thinking those "Oh my god" screams was probably from this worried lady who lived around the studio. LOL.

You forgot to mention that residents also called 9-1-1 and SWAT teams and the police actually showed up on live TV. (Bischoff explains it on the DVD)

LK
06-27-2004, 03:29 PM
Yeah I seen that on the nWo DVD. Funny as hell when Nash just throws Mysterio into the trailer.

loopydate
06-27-2004, 03:40 PM
That was probably my favorite nWo moment, too. Mysterio sold that "dart" shot like he was dead. The all-of-WCW versus nWo feud really started that night, and it was that period where WCW was at its best, when enemies like Luger and Flair would unite to fight a common enemy.

Hot stuff, Elsie. Good choice.