PDA

View Full Version : Bad Blood Buyrate

The CyNick
07-01-2004, 10:17 PM
According to wwe.com it looks like the Bad Blood buyrate wont be making anyone too happy either. Initial indications show the number around the 240-250,000 mark. That is down from Backlash (the last RAW PPV) but up from the Judgment Day Smackdown PPV. However, just as an add on, last year the exact same event did about 400,000 buys.

Scary times for the WWE.

Loose Cannon
07-01-2004, 10:25 PM
I don't know, I just have this feeling that something is gonna come out of nowhere and turn things around again a la 98

The CyNick
07-01-2004, 10:26 PM
Maybe HB-Cade?

Loose Cannon
07-01-2004, 10:27 PM
lol Maybe. You never know. MAYBE it's time for someone to get screwed again

The CyNick
07-01-2004, 10:29 PM
Seriously though, the difference between then and now is that in 97 when the WWE actually started to turn thing around, they had ECW and WCW to steal idea and talent from. Right now the WWE is it, anybody who is interested in pro wrestling is watching the WWE. It will be much harder to get those fringe fans interested when you have a smaller base to draw from. I hope they do something fast, because once they lose PPVs as a money maker (not that they have yet, but the numbers do keep trending downward) that will be just about the end for them.

Loose Cannon
07-01-2004, 10:32 PM
They just need that one character or storyline or whatever that no one has ever seen before and one that gets a lot of mainstream attention. What that is, I have no clue. But, Vince is a smart man and I don't think he'll let he's company die.

The CyNick
07-01-2004, 10:36 PM
They just need that one character or storyline or whatever that no one has ever seen before and one that gets a lot of mainstream attention. What that is, I have no clue. But, Vince is a smart man and I don't think he'll let he's company die.

He wont let it die, he will try to fix it, just like he's been trying for over three years now to find a new angle/character to hook the audience, but it hasn't worked. I dont think there are any guarantees he can find that 'next big thing'.

Loose Cannon
07-01-2004, 10:43 PM
Do you think another "Invasion" storyline would work with another company from the outside. lol, maybe UFC.

Mayo
07-01-2004, 10:44 PM
He wont let it die, he will try to fix it, just like he's been trying for over three years now to find a new angle/character to hook the audience, but it hasn't worked. I dont think there are any guarantees he can find that 'next big thing'.

RANDY FK'N ORTON

*waits for Loose Cannon to mark out*

Back Stabbed
07-01-2004, 10:48 PM
They just need that one character or storyline or whatever that no one has ever seen before and one that gets a lot of mainstream attention.
[On Smackdown] JBL starts a cooking show and makes fun of blacks Gays and black haired people. Eddie steal some muffins without JBL knowing and JBL keeps looking for them.

Loose Cannon
07-01-2004, 10:54 PM
I mean, if you think about it, There were only three "blockbusters" in wrestling history since the 80's that have garnered a lot of interest in the product. You had Hogan, then the NWO, then Austin/Tyson. That's really it. Those are the three that really hooked the fans.

I think we are due for a fourth soon and it will just come in like a Supernova and turn things around.

Back Stabbed
07-01-2004, 11:04 PM
I mean, if you think about it, There were only three "blockbusters" in wrestling history since the 80's that have garnered a lot of interest in the product. You had Hogan, then the NWO, then Austin/Tyson. That's really it. Those are the three that really hooked the fans.
Ummm RocK?

Loose Cannon
07-01-2004, 11:07 PM
Well Rock came after the whole "Austin/Tyson" thing hit big. So the WWE was already starting to get going when Rock started to get big. He helped matters of course, along with DX and Foley. The Montreal Screwjob was probably another "blockbuster" if you want to add another. That brought in the "Mr. McMahin" character.

The CyNick
07-01-2004, 11:15 PM
Yeah I think it was more Austin himself that got over, along with the concept of him kicking his boss' ass. I think the Tyson deal was a big draw for Mania, and it helped make the WWE look big time again.

As for Rock, he was a huge part of keeping the business growing especially when Austin went down in 99.

See where I think they have problems is that they dont have anyone to steal ideas from. Hogan was stolen from the AWA, and Vince just put him on a bigger platform and let him loose. The NWO was stolen by Bisch from Japan, and the whole Austin character was really started in ECW and the whole Attitude concept was a direct rip off ECW.

Right now there are no really hot wrestling promotions running strong angles that Vince could steal. If he is going to find another concept its going to have to be on his own this time, which he hasn't been able to do in the past.

And as we've seen with the Invasiona nd Goldberg and others, there's no guarantee even if the right angle falls into his lap that he'll be abel to capitalize on it.

In terms of an Invasion, there's nobody out there on the WWE's level that would garner enough interest. They need a new concept or a new charaacter that can connect with the fans. Unfortunately there isn't anyone in their developmental system that you can point to and say "yeah that guys going to be a huge star".

Loose Cannon
07-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Good point about Bischoff and Vince stealing those things. I never thouht of that. I think they really screwed themselves with the Invasion, but I think even after that they had a chance to save themselves with Bischoff coming in. But they fk'ed that up when they had Vince and Bischoff embrace on Bischoff's first Raw. I mean WTF was that?

But look at Goldberg in WCW and look how quick that chacter caught on. He seemingly came out of nowhere. Goldberg saved WCW during 98, but WCW screwed up when they put Nash over.

But, that's what the WWF needs righ there. Just something like a Goldberg and hell, just follow what WCW did except don't let him job until he needs too.

The CyNick
07-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Please dont get me started on all the mistakes the WWE made after they bought WCW. I mean that should have been used as the catalyst for a REAL "brand extension", and then they would have had a fighting chance to make that concept work. But Vince doesn't like WCW, and that will never change. Even though now he sells DVDs and old WCW PPVs talking about their "great history". Makes my head hurt.

The Goldberg thing was a fluky thing. The problem in the WWE is that I dont think they would recognize if they had a guy like Goldberg on their hands. This might be a bad example, and I wans't into the guy, but Zach Gowen did some big business in his program with Vince in terms of TV and spiking the PPV somewhat. For whatever reason the WWE cut the angle off at the knees when Vince beat him on PPV. I'm not saying Zach could've been Goldberg, but he was cerating interest.

But even if they had a normal guy over, I cant see them getting over like Goldberg did, because the guy would be over-exposed like Eugene is being currently or they would be caught in "paying you dues" hell and unable to get over.

I mean look at Brock, now he wasn't as over as Goldberg, but he did get a great rub from Rock at SS 02, but what happened the next week? HHH cut him off, and he was never the same. Its things like that that make me skeptical that they will ever be able to create another big time star. The only guys who will get pushed will be guys who are set up for feuds with Hunter, and you know none of those guys are ever going to actually go over Hunter. They will get put in that Benoit/Goldberg spot where "yeah I'll JOB to you, but you keep my belt warm for a couple of months and in due time I'm come and get it back".

Back Stabbed
07-01-2004, 11:46 PM
For whatever reason the WWE cut the angle off at the knees when Vince beat him on PPV.
Knee*

The CyNick
07-01-2004, 11:50 PM
Knee*

hahahaha

I didn't catch on to that at first, nice one.

Loose Cannon
07-01-2004, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I guess things really won't be that great until HHH gets out of the way. That's essentially what happened to Goldberg in WCW anyway. He got big, Hogan and Nash saw this as an oppurtunity to make themselves look better. Hogan agreed to drop the title cause he would get it back later. Nash got what he wanted and eventually Hogan did get the Title back.

Back in 98 WWF, there wasn't really any guy who was that "backstage politician" They had to let the new guys step up and it worked out for them completely. Maybe that's the key to getting something going. You can't have guys like HHH calling the shots and getting everything they want. The WWE is so ignorant about this and should have learned a thing or two from WCW, but they choose to look the other way.

Back Stabbed
07-02-2004, 12:05 AM
WWE is so ignorant about this and should have learned a thing or two from WCW, but they choose to look the other way.
I remember that Shane was like "Dad look at this!" But Vince was watching Howard Stern at the time and couldn't be bothered.

The CyNick
07-02-2004, 12:05 AM
Its even worse than 98, because back then you had Taker and HBK that were the backstage movers, but at the same time Vince needed to survive, so he was willing to push them aside and force them to help make Austin a star.

The difference now is that HHH is a key part of the company from the business end as well as the on air end. So as long as he's married to Steph, he's in charge of the booking, and who knows, Vince isn't a young man, dude could drop dead at any time. He trusts Hunter, so Hunter isn't going anywhere.

I really think the only way for them to save themselves would be for Hunter to make it sime-big in Hollywood and give up wrestling full time. That way Hunter would get to be a big star, come back here and there for a big pop, but the path would be open for new talent to come up. But as long as Hunter is around and can work he'll always be THE focal point of the shows.

Dont forget he thinks he's Ric Flair, and Flair has a 20 year run on top, Hunter probably figures he's only a quarter of the way done.

Back Stabbed
07-02-2004, 12:09 AM
Vince isn't a young man, dude could drop dead at any time.
So could Hunter.

Loose Cannon
07-02-2004, 12:11 AM
I guess we'll just have to wait until HHH and Steph break up and end their relationship on bad terms. Vince gets pissed and screws over HHH. We can only hope.

Back Stabbed
07-02-2004, 12:12 AM
The WWE needs to get more urban. Have gang fights, actual street fights, black people, and more swerves.

Nowhere Man
07-02-2004, 03:20 AM
The WWE needs to get more urban. Have gang fights, actual street fights, black people, and more swerves.

Aren't you supposed to be booking for TNA now?

Kane Knight
07-02-2004, 03:51 AM
Maybe Mae Young and Moolah can walk around going "Fo Shizzle."

James Steele
07-02-2004, 04:07 AM
Then rap about their bitches and hoes.... :shifty:

:lol: that is actually a funny image in my head.

Savio
07-02-2004, 04:45 AM
Aren't you supposed to be booking for TNA now?
Me vinnie? I know Vinnie was about swerves and stuff but was he for the other things also?