PDA

View Full Version : LC's Random Wrestling Rewind: 7/2/04

Loose Cannon
07-02-2004, 04:36 PM
And we're back after a two day absence. Like the new Title. :naughty:

The Giant Joins the NWO

YEAR: 1996

Yeah, I was just watching one of my NWO compilations tapes and I wanted to talk about a pretty cool moment that some might of forgotten about. Okay, the NWO had been running rampant in WCW for about 3 or 4 months now. Hogan had just won the WCW World Title from the Giant at Hog Wild 1996. The NWO still only consisted of Hogan, Hall and Nash by this point too.

So we fast foward to a Nitro after Hog Wild and we see Ted Dibiase in the crowd during Nitro. Dibiase had just left the WWF and had signed a contract with WCW. The Giant had wrestled and won a match on Nitro and after his match, the camera pans to Dibiase, who proceeds to hold up 1 finger, then 2, then 3, then 4 and then he says "next week, 5." Dibiase was the fourth member of the NWO. but little did we now that the 5th finger after a Giant match was forshadowing what was to come.

At the begginning of the next Nitro, we see the NWO limo pull up and Hall, Nash and Hogan get out of it. Hall yells to someone in the limo to "stay in there and don't come out." Hogan tells the camera man to get out of there and we go to commercial break. We also see Ted Dibiase coming down the isle in the crowd and take a sheetin the front row too. Something was about to go down and a new member was about to join the NWO.

So we go to the main event of the night: The Dugeon of Doom (Kevin Sullivan, Meng, Barbarian and Big Bubba) vs The Four Horsemen (Flair, Anderson, Benoit and Mongo). Remember now, the Giant was a member of the Dungen of Doom at this point and had been a key WCW player in fighting off the NWO through the past couple of months. The match ends when Flair gets the figure four on Sullivan and Sullivan taps out.

About 7 seconds after Sullivan tapped, Scott Hal, Nash and Hogan came out of nowhere (I think Hall and Nash came from the crowd and Hogan from the back) and start beating the shit out of members of the Dugeon of Doom and the Four Horsemen. I mean the NWO was just mauling right through everyone and taking everyone out. Another great beatdown. WCW tries to make a comeback, but the NWO just kept laying them out. BUT, WAIT A MINUTE........HERE COMES THE GIANT.

Crowd Pops huge as they knew the Giant would be thier's and WCW's saving grace that night. Mike Tenay would say out loud what all the WCW fans were thinking, "Thank God for the Giant." The Giant would come down and destroy the members of the NWO and help WCW regain the advantage right? WRONG. The Giant gets into the ring as Hall and Nash back off. Hogan is still pounding people and doesn't even see the Giant. Meng and Barbarian are down are the canvas inside the ring. Hogan sees the Giant and he starts to back off. Then it happens.

The Giant walks right over to Barbarian and puts his hand around his throat and picks him up for a chokeslam. Bischoff, "WOAH, WOAH, WOAH, WOAH, WOAH." Giant chokeslams Barbarian and then Bischoff delievers a line which the WCW fans were all thinking at this point, "No, Not the Giant." I know I was thinking that. Giant chokeslams some more of his former stable mates and cements his alligence with the NWO.

Randy Savage appears with a chair and tries to help WCW, but he soon gets taken down by the NWO and he recieves a chokeslam as well. The NWO would keeo on destrying WCW until Nitro went off the air. The NWO would also go to the anounce booth and mock WCW through the headsets. It was a striking blow to WCW that night as they had just lost one of their best guys to the NWO.

Thoughts: This segment was really great because it showed that even the loyal WCW guys who had been fighting against the NWO were starting to sell out and join the enemy. We would see much more of these jumps in the upcoming weeks and months. One of these jumps would shock all of us on one night and would lead to a character change for a certain wrestler. I'll talk about that one very soon. Until Next Time, RKO and Out. :)

Lara Emily
07-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Good stuff, though The Giant's nWo story is probably one of the funniest things about the New World Order. He joins, then gets fired, then rejoins, then gets fired, then rejoins as Big Show in the WWE, then he gets tough love from HBK (though he remains part of the team) and then the entire nWo dies once for all (I hope).

Savio
07-02-2004, 05:18 PM
I was wondering where this went

Loose Cannon
07-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Good stuff, though The Giant's nWo story is probably one of the funniest things about the New World Order. He joins, then gets fired, then rejoins, then gets fired, then rejoins as Big Show in the WWE, then he gets tough love from HBK (though he remains part of the team) and then the entire nWo dies once for all (I hope).

yeah seriously, that was ridiculous.

Savio
07-02-2004, 06:10 PM
How would you have ended it?

Loose Cannon
07-02-2004, 06:15 PM
What, the NWO in the WWE?

If that, then I guess the best way to end accomplised stables is to have the leader turn on thier stable and then the rest of the stable just fades away. Kind of like DX when Trips turned, then Billy quit and then X-pac and Road Dogg remained as a team.

CyNick said the plan was for Nash, Pac and Show to turn on HBK and join HHH. If that whole thing survived and there was still an NWO after that, then you have Trips turn on Nash and the NWO just fades away.

Lara Emily
07-02-2004, 06:17 PM
How would you have ended it?What the nWo?

Lara Emily
07-02-2004, 06:19 PM
What, the NWO in the WWE?

If that, then I guess the best way to end accomplised stables is to have the leader turn on thier stable and then the rest of the stable just fades away. Kind of like DX when Trips turned, then Billy quit and then X-pac and Road Dogg remained as a team.

CyNick said the plan was for Nash, Pac and Show to turn on HBK and join HHH. If that whole thing survived and there was still an NWO after that, then you have Trips turn on Nash and the NWO just fades away.
:y: works for me.

Lara Emily
07-02-2004, 06:21 PM
yeah seriously, that was ridiculous.
Yup another funny nWo guy was Hennig, why anyone would trust him in your stable is beyond me :D. He what turned on The Horsemen to join the nWo then turned on the nWo to join the Wolfpac, then turned on the Wolfpac to rejoin the Black and White :D.

Loose Cannon
07-02-2004, 06:35 PM
Yup another funny nWo guy was Hennig, why anyone would trust him in your stable is beyond me :D. He what turned on The Horsemen to join the nWo then turned on the nWo to join the Wolfpac, then turned on the Wolfpac to rejoin the Black and White :D.

lol and remember he turned on Mero and joined HHH in the WWE and he kind of turned on Lugar at Wrestlemania 10. Christ. That's hillarious.

Lara Emily
07-02-2004, 06:46 PM
Hennig turned on soooo many guys :D.

Loose Cannon
07-02-2004, 06:49 PM
wait, there's even more. Remember Summerslam 92 when there was this whole deal on who Hennig would side with in the Warrior and Savage match. Well, he didn't side with anyone, he turned on both. LOL, he's a "Compulsive Turner."

Lara Emily
07-02-2004, 06:58 PM
wait, there's even more. Remember Summerslam 92 when there was this whole deal on who Hennig would side with in the Warrior and Savage match. Well, he didn't side with anyone, he turned on both. LOL, he's a "Compulsive Turner."There's even more: He turned on Flair and teamed with Savage at Survivor Series 1992.

Dirtyunderweartaker
07-02-2004, 07:06 PM
yeah, mr. perfect didn't actually die in real life in that hotel room. it was all a gimmick to get him over with the fans. it is rumored that he will make his comeback 2005 wrestlemania.

oooohhhh yyyyyyeeeeesss

Loose Cannon
07-02-2004, 07:14 PM
There's even more: He turned on Flair and teamed with Savage at Survivor Series 1992.

yeah, I wrote about that last week. :y:

Loose Cannon
07-02-2004, 07:17 PM
yeah, mr. perfect didn't actually die in real life in that hotel room. it was all a gimmick to get him over with the fans. it is rumored that he will make his comeback 2005 wrestlemania.

oooohhhh yyyyyyeeeeesss

:lol: ......Oh wait, that's not funny at all. :nono: