PDA

View Full Version : Mordecai back to OVW

Joe Kerr
07-05-2004, 01:41 PM
Despite all the plans for a huge push, Mordecai is already being sent back down to OVW for more training. Management, especially Vince McMahon, originally had big plans for him.

The CyNick
07-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Its too bad they dont watch these guys work before they bring them up and push them to the moon.

Can you imagine if an NFL team were to sign a guy to play Quarterback and they give him a big contract and tell him he's going to start. They dont try him out before the start of the season, and he starts game one. Int he first snap it becomes clear that not only cvan this QB not throw a touchdown, but he doesn't even know how to grip the football much less throw an accurate pass.

If that happened wouldn't the guy who brought the QB up get fired? So I guess that means we'll be seeing a VP of Talent Relations and VP of Creative jobs opening up at WWE. Maybe I'll apply.

DMI
07-05-2004, 01:56 PM
good. I didnt want to see Taker mixed up with that loser.

Savio
07-05-2004, 01:57 PM
Good I didn't want to see Mordy mixed up witht that loser.

Kane Knight
07-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Good I didn't want to see Mordy mixed up witht that loser.
LOL

The Show Off
07-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Where is the article that you sited this from? Cause every once in a while they'll send a guy down to OVW for like a few shows just to spike the attendence for them, cause anytime a guy from the "real show" comes on they get better attendence.

Joe Kerr
07-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Where is the article that you sited this from? Cause every once in a while they'll send a guy down to OVW for like a few shows just to spike the attendence for them, cause anytime a guy from the "real show" comes on they get better attendence.
sorry.

here it is
http://www.prowrestlingscoops.com/index.php?id=headlines/91003280

Loose Cannon
07-05-2004, 02:10 PM
Dam, another gimmick I liked that is finished. First O'Haire, now Mordecai.

So let's see. Matt Morgan, Nathan Jones, John Hiden..whatever, Mordecai, Orlando Jordan, Johnny Nitro.

All guys brought up way too soon. Yeah, great system you guys got there.

loopydate
07-05-2004, 02:17 PM
Okay, let me get this straight:

WWE has brought up three newcomers to the SmackDown roster in the last couple of months.

Kenzo Suzuki who looks to be the most boring in-ring performer in the company (yes, more so than Undertaker or Holly).

Luther Reigns who has a great look and pretty good in-ring skills but minimal charisma.

Mordecai who has a gimmick with endless possibilities (i.e. targeting the "Deadly Sins"), cuts great character-driven promos, and has a halfway decent workrate.

So, which one do they send down to OVW?

Wildcat789
07-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Why the HELL would you send Mordecai down?

He cut AWESOME promos. The mic skills this guy had so early in his career was PHENOMINAL.

What a killer gimmick. This was some of the best stuff the creative team had in years.

Pretty good ring work. He really had the makings to be great.

How bout we send him back to OVW?

Kane Knight
07-05-2004, 03:44 PM
He bored me. D&D geeks on steroids. :nono:

V
07-05-2004, 03:57 PM
all i can say is

BULLSHIT

The CyNick
07-05-2004, 04:01 PM
The problem with Mordecai is that he's too green to pull off the gimmick they had set up for him. He is also too small to look like a feasible threat to Taker (the way they were booking him). And his gimmick wasn't really catching on. I heard a dog whistle during his match with Holly, so its not like the WWE is making a huge mistake by sending him down.

Kenzo should be fired, because I dont see any potential in him at all. Although his woman seems to have decent ring presence, maybe keep her as a valet for Akio and Sakoda or something.

I think Luther is okay. Maybe its because Fertig and Suzuki are so green, but Luther seems a lot more polished. He's no phenom in the ring, but he's decent for a big guy, and he has a great look and from what Ive seen can handle a promo. As Angle's henchman that might be enough to get him over. So I'd keep him around for now and see where he goes.

Innovator
07-05-2004, 04:05 PM
to Mordecai's defense what can you really show all of your talent in a 4 minute squash match against Holly or Scotty Too Hotty?

The CyNick
07-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Agreed, but at the same time you can see by his work that he wasn't ready for the big time. And like I said he's just not big enough. Also, he looks too much like Jeff Jarrett, which is never good.

Innovator
07-05-2004, 04:27 PM
hear me...fear me...slapnuts

Kane Knight
07-05-2004, 05:18 PM
to Mordecai's defense what can you really show all of your talent in a 4 minute squash match against Holly or Scotty Too Hotty?
Does it really matter who you're up against in a squash match?

Innovator
07-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Does it really matter who you're up against in a squash match?
yeah but all he had were squash matches, he should have at least had a good feud before sending him back down.

Kane Knight
07-05-2004, 05:44 PM
They should have taken a look at him before they put him in the limelight (As CyNick already said).

When someone looks bad, you don't give him more of a push.

To borrow from the sports analogies prior, if a football (The American kind) player by some fluke makes it to the lineup, and ends up responsible for several turnovers (Through interceptions and fumbles) and many bonehead incompletes, would you A) Throw to him more, B) Sack him, C) Market him well and hope he'll make it to New England and sabotage their chances for a repeat.

The Naitch
07-05-2004, 05:49 PM
Good thing Rey Rey danced all over his white ass

Kane Knight
07-05-2004, 05:55 PM
I was kinda wondering about that myself.

I mean, he's supposed to be this big monster, and he gets jobbed to RMJ.

The Naitch
07-05-2004, 05:56 PM
Rey Rey probably has a bigger penis than Mordecai too

HeartBreakMan2k
07-05-2004, 05:57 PM
Were they really going to use Raven's 7 deadly sins gimmick for Modecai? Because he honestly couldn't pull that in depth of an angle off.

Loose Cannon
07-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Now that you mention it, why didn't they just hire Raven back if they were going to do a gimmick like that. Like I've said before, I loved the gimmick, they should have used it on someone like Raven

HeartBreakMan2k
07-05-2004, 06:00 PM
yeah but all he had were squash matches, he should have at least had a good feud before sending him back down.
If they were planning on using Raven's 7 Deadly Sins gimmick, then he wouldn't be having a feud until the 4th sin. And that would have been 2 or 3 months in.

HeartBreakMan2k
07-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Now that you mention it, why didn't they just hire Raven back if they were going to do a gimmick like that. Like I've said before, I loved the gimmick, they should have used it on someone like Raven
Agreed, plus off the top of my head, Raven is the only guy I can think of who could do it really...

ZuperWario
07-05-2004, 06:02 PM
I heard somewhere that Mordecai was shy.
That might be the reason why he was sent back.

I'll try to find the website that says this.

Savio
07-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Rey Rey probably has a bigger penis than Mordecai too
No it just looks like that because he's so small.

Loose Cannon
07-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Yeah I read that and that he was nervous as hell when he would go to the ring and give an interview.

The Mackem
07-05-2004, 06:03 PM
I can't sign Raven on TEW, Vince McMahon wouldn't let me, maybe they are having a similar problem in reality.

HeartBreakMan2k
07-05-2004, 06:04 PM
I can't sign Raven on TEW, Vince McMahon wouldn't let me, maybe they are having a similar problem in reality.That is true, Vince does dislike Raven. Reason being Shane and Raven were really close and they would be out all the time. Vince thought Raven was a terrible influence.

I think you're on to something Mackem.

The Naitch
07-05-2004, 06:05 PM
lol

HeartBreakMan2k
07-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Vince did supposedly fall in love with the angle though, so it's possible he kept it for someone else even though he told Raven that he'd do it for him.

Mr. Nerfect
07-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Were they really going to use Raven's 7 deadly sins gimmick for Modecai? Because he honestly couldn't pull that in depth of an angle off.

From my understanding, I think that statement is completely off base. From whatI've heard, Kevin Fertig's gimmick "Seven" was Undertaker class stuff. The idea of the Mordecai gimmick is to have him anti-sin of any kind. I don't think this is quite the same as the 7 Deadly Sins gimmick. Some ways I think the Mordecai gimmick could work better.

1. Have him wrestle monster matches. The guy looks to human in the ring. Each punch hurts this guy, and a dropkick knocks him off his feet. He got into a Stone Cold-esque brawl for crying out loud. The closest he should come to a brawl is in a match with The Undertaker.

2. Have him beat guys with any move. Let him keep the Razor's Edge, but let him win matches with big boots out of nowhere, and backbreakers, etc. Get submission wins the abdominal stretches, that sort of thing.

3. Have him not bleed. Again too human. I can remember the last time Kane bled. The Undertaker didn't bleed during the establishment of his gimmick. This guy should take a crossbody from the top and not go down. Bleeding will make him look human, which makes him look like a loon, which is not his gimmick (from my viewpoint).

4. Maybe give him a manager. I think having Paul Bearer return with Mordecai. Bearer returns with Mordecai as Paully B has realised that messing around with the darkness that he did has filled his heart with sin, and he will not be able to rest until The Undertaker has been vanquished.

5. Have Mordecai undefeated. I know it's a bit late now. But maybe they can have Mordecai pull an anlge where he feels the powers enthrusted onto him leaving him, so he goe son a search for the power he once had.

6. Two-in-one. Just a little idea I had for gimmick advancement. Mordecai could "cleanse everyone" except a guy named "Seven" who continues to sin on SmackDown!. Of course we would recognize them as one in the same. Maybe Syyn could get called up from OVW to manage "Seven", while Paul Bearer manages "Mordecai"? Eventaully we could see a half-decorated as Seven, half-decorated as Mordecai Kevin Fertig. I think that'd look pretty interesting on WWE TV.

7. Have him as the underdog in his feud with Taker. Mordecai is a bit smaller than Undertaker, so they should maybe have Mordecai teaste worrying. But then Mordecai remembers it's a sin, so he fills himself with the confidence that he can beat the Dead Man. I'd love to see Mordecai get up from a Tombstone straight away with this "confidence".

HeartBreakMan2k
07-05-2004, 07:50 PM
To me, it's not how he's built that makes me not think he can do the gimmick. It's just him, he's just not believable for a darker character to me. I remember hearing him talk, his voice just doesn't work to me. I know it's nit picky shit but I mean... I just can't buy him playing the storyline that Raven created.

Mayo
07-05-2004, 08:22 PM
He was pretty good on the mic for what his gimmick required, and wasn't that bad in the ring as well. However, if he was nervous every time he would go out to the ring, then there exists a huge problem. Why would Vince rush someone like this to the WWE if he couldn't handle it yet? If Fertig cracked under the pressure, then its understandable, but if not then the talent coordinator should get reprimanded for such wasteful actions. It was a waste of a pretty damn good gimmick in my view. I agree with what some people said about Fertig being too small for the gimmick, but he would only have to dominate his opponents in his first few months, and then he could get 'followers' to do much of his dirty work. Stupid move by Vince and Co. for not waiting longer to bring him up.

Mr. Nerfect
07-05-2004, 09:24 PM
To me, it's not how he's built that makes me not think he can do the gimmick. It's just him, he's just not believable for a darker character to me. I remember hearing him talk, his voice just doesn't work to me. I know it's nit picky shit but I mean... I just can't buy him playing the storyline that Raven created.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Raven didn't really create this Holy Sin Destroyer thing did he? I know he had all those kind of ideas for gimmicks, but Vince McMahon sort of designed this one didn't he?

Seven was sort of a Kane meets Undertaker type character. I think someone did the talking for him, though (Synn). Maybe he needs to work on a creepier voice while he's gone. :y:

I think maybe Vince was picturing an Undertaker/Mordecai match at Summerslam, so when the gimmick didn't catch on, Mcmahon bailed him out before long time damage was done.

HeartBreakMan2k
07-05-2004, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. Raven didn't really create this Holy Sin Destroyer thing did he? I know he had all those kind of ideas for gimmicks, but Vince McMahon sort of designed this one didn't he?

Seven was sort of a Kane meets Undertaker type character. I think someone did the talking for him, though (Synn). Maybe he needs to work on a creepier voice while he's gone. :y:

I think maybe Vince was picturing an Undertaker/Mordecai match at Summerslam, so when the gimmick didn't catch on, Mcmahon bailed him out before long time damage was done.
I don't know, it really depends on what direction Vince was taking Mordecai, Raven designed a character based off the 7 deadly sins, it would create 3 feuds, 2 matches outside a feud and a ton of videos. The whole creation of the character Raven had in mind would have took 8 months.

Corkscrewed
07-06-2004, 01:33 AM
Its too bad they dont watch these guys work before they bring them up and push them to the moon.

Can you imagine if an NFL team were to sign a guy to play Quarterback and they give him a big contract and tell him he's going to start. They dont try him out before the start of the season, and he starts game one. Int he first snap it becomes clear that not only cvan this QB not throw a touchdown, but he doesn't even know how to grip the football much less throw an accurate pass.

On the other hand, there was Kwame Brown of the Wizards...

Anyway, it's a shame, but not entirely unexpected. Of the three new guys to show up, I'd have thought Kenzo would get sent down, tho. Mordecai's just too small, but I think if they'd taken Alienoid's route with him, he'd be a lot more successful too.

As for Kenzo (yes, slightly off topic, but whatever), if they had made him the yakuza leader of KyoDai like I've been pleading for all this time, he could be the boss who rarely fights. During this time, he can work on his ring skills training before shows with other wrestlers and doing house shows. On TV, he wouldn't wrestle that much until he's not so green. In the mean time, it allows him on TV and gets Akio and Sakoda spots on television without sacrificing TV time, since they'd just share his promo spots.

Very, very easy solution. I'm a genius. :D

Batsu
07-06-2004, 03:33 AM
As for Kenzo (yes, slightly off topic, but whatever), if they had made him the yakuza leader of KyoDai like I've been pleading for all this time, he could be the boss who rarely fights. During this time, he can work on his ring skills training before shows with other wrestlers and doing house shows. On TV, he wouldn't wrestle that much until he's not so green. In the mean time, it allows him on TV and gets Akio and Sakoda spots on television without sacrificing TV time, since they'd just share his promo spots.

Very, very easy solution. I'm a genius. :D

This is a much better idea than making him WWE-brand Kaientai Lite.

Goldbird
07-06-2004, 06:06 AM
What kind of credibility could Mordecai get if his matches are all with cruiserweights?

Heck, I still remember his first match with Scottyyyyyy 2 HOTTY.

:shifty:

LK
07-06-2004, 06:40 AM
Does anyone know if this is the end of the Mordecai character.

HankScorpio
07-06-2004, 06:42 AM
^^
I doubt it, Vince has big plans for him remember, and he is a big guy so Vinnie'll love him and push him.

LK
07-06-2004, 06:51 AM
Here would be my solution to the Mordecai problem. I love the character and think it has great potential but Fertig definetly needs more training. Give Mordecai a stable. A group of people that he has cleansed who now follow him and believe in what he preaches. So people like Kidman and Akio and some other guys become Mordecai's disciples. During this time Mordecai makes rare appearences on Smackdown just to cut a promo or to cleanse another wrestler of his sin's. So this gives Mordecai an opportunity to get more training which he needs and gives people like Kidman, Akio and others like Sakoda and the Bashams something to do. They will operate as the silent assassins. It's sort of like a darker Right to Censor stable.

c4g2
07-06-2004, 10:17 AM
Have him don't speak at all.

It'll make him look cooler :D

Goldbird
07-06-2004, 10:39 AM
Honestly, Shelton Benjamin doesnt have any flair on the mic at all...

*seriously off-topic*

The CyNick
07-06-2004, 11:48 AM
There are no plans to bring him back anytime soon. They may revive the gimmick whenever he comes back, but he's down in OVW for the near future.

c4g2
07-06-2004, 12:02 PM
There are no plans to bring him back anytime soon. They may revive the gimmick whenever he comes back, but he's down in OVW for the near future.
So Mordecai just disappeared after jobbing to Rey and brawling with Hardcore? Great push Vinnie :nono:

Corkscrewed
07-06-2004, 12:37 PM
At least it explained why they false-hyped his undefeated streak (suddenly, might I add) and then jobbed him to Rey. At least it'll boost Mysterio's cred a tad.

Cruiserweight 3:16
07-06-2004, 01:27 PM
When watching Mordecai wrestle Mysterio, I did notice how Mordecai made some serious errors in the ring that would piss off the road agents big style. For instance, the way he gripped his hands together wasn't right when he applied the full nelson... he fucked up something as small as that and a little habit like that in a match just goes to show how green he is in the ring. If I can notice something like that, then the agents watching will have picked up upon this and not have been too happy...