PDA

View Full Version : LC'S Random Wrestling Rewind: 7/5/04

Loose Cannon
07-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Goldberg Wins the U.S. Title

Year: 1998

Since I was discussing this with Lara Emily breifly the other day in her thread, I might as well go ahead and talk about it in detail. This one momen certaintly pissed me off like no other back when I was still a mark. Yeah, I said "MARK" Flair. I remember screaming at my TV after the match was over as I was a fricken huge Raven mark when he was in WCW. Anyway, let's go back to the night before at at Spring Stampede 98. Raven took on DDP in a classic Raven's Rules match and won the WCW United States Title for the first time. Raven was my favorite wrestler in WCW and when I found he won I was really happy. Keep in mind I didn't see Raven in ECW, so this was my first time seeing the "Raven" character. Raven ruled and I thought he would go on and hold on to that belt for quite a while. He was a classic example of what a U.S. Champion should be. Raven was a great mid card wrestler and a guy that seemed like he could be WCW Champion on day. So in my mind, he wasn't losing the title anytime soon RIGHT? WRONG.

ENTER BILL GOLDBERG. Yep, fk'n Bill Goldberg would sadly end my dreams of seeing Raven hold on to that title for a long time. Goldberg was going through his mega push in WCW. He ran through all his opponents and had yet to suffer a defeat. He was something like 75-0 at this point and the fans absolutely loved him. Goldberg was a monster and when I found at on Monday Nitro that it would be Golberg versus Raven for the U.S. Title, I went, "OH SHIT."

All throughout Nitro I had been waiting for the match. I kept going over ways in my head in which Goldberg could beat Raven, but Raven didn't have to lose the belt. I knew there was no way in hell Raven was going to beat Goldberg. I though maybe the Flock would run in and cause a DQ, maybe Raven could get counted out, maybe there would be a fire in the buliding and the match would be cancelled. Yeah, I was pretty sure the ladder wasn't happening. So we go to the match and out comes Raven with his new US Title. Goldberg would come out to a huge pop. I quickly realized that this match was going to be fought under "Raven's Rules," so my hopes of a DQ occuring were pretty much out the window.

Match starts and Goldberg pretty much destroys Raven at the beggining. Raven did a realy good job of selling for Goldberg. Raven would get the upperhand at the mid point of the match and would hit that drop toe hold on the chair. Raven would use the chair during the match too. I was anxiously awaiting what was going to happen cause I knew Goldberg would make a comeback and he sure did..

Raven irish whips Goldberg in the corner and closelines him. Goldberg does a "Hulking up" type thing and and out of nowhere Spears Raven. Crowd goes NUTS!!!!!!!! I start to throw things. BUT WAIt, HERE COMES THE FLOCK. All of a sudden my rage gets overturned by a bolt of HOPE. Sickboy off the top, Goldberg nails him. Kidman in, Kidman gone. Horace in with a stop sign shot to Goldberg. Horace gets speared. "OH SHIT AGAIN." Oh yeah, here comes the big man, REESE. Reese goes for a two handed chokeslam, but FK'N GOLDBERG REVERSES IT INTO A JACKHAMMER. AHHHHHHH WTF.

BUT WAIT, out of the corner of my eye, I see Raven leaving through the crowd. This is what I hoped for, a countout win by Goldberg. My day had come. NOT SO FAST. Raven tries to leave through the crowd, I'm on my feet screaming "GO GO GO GO," and out of nowhere like 10 fans appear and FK'N CARRY RAVEN BACK OVER THE RAIL. They FK'N bring him back to the ring. WTF was that shit I was saying to myslef. My Pissed Off meter was beyond the Maximum Limit one can get while watching wrestling, but I asure you, I was there.

So, Goldberg brings Raven back into the ring, hits the Jackhammer, 1.2.3. (Seemed like a fast count BTW :mad: ) IT'S OVER, NEW U.S. CHAMPION: Bill Goldberg. Crowd goes NUTS and I just sat there in disbelief as my favorite WCW wrestler had just lost the U.S. Title after just winning it the night before. As Farooq would say, DAM.

Afterthoughts: Yep, Goldberg would go undefeated as U.S. Champion and then faced Hogan for the World Title on Nitro. This is another "Rewind Moment," but in short, Goldberg would get the win and would become both U.S. Champ and World Champ. Raven seemingly just faded out slowly after this loss. He would go on to feud with Saturn and then lose control on the Flock. He would take on a completely different character shortly after that. Well, that's all for today. Until next time, RKO AND OUT :)

The Mackem
07-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Good read again Loose Cannon.

Thriller
07-05-2004, 06:58 PM
Raven had some classic matches in wcw with the likes of Saturn and Benoit.Ill never forget the image of Raven in the crossface smiling before he passes out from the pain at sold out 98

Favre4Ever
07-05-2004, 06:59 PM
I hated that moment, even though I liked Goldberg at the time.

Batsu
07-06-2004, 03:14 AM
I think Raven has had his good times and his bad times, but the Flock was definitely a high point. He never really became at least a great midcard threat in WWE (which I felt was a high, high, high strength of his)...

yeah, this kinda pissed me off a little too, but Goldberg was the next big thing for WCW. For a while, as nWo became oversaturated, he was the guy people tuned in to see.

Raven, man... I loved his feud with Chris Jericho. I was crossing my fingers for a WWE redux of that...

Goldbird
07-06-2004, 06:08 AM
Goldberg WAS da man. :cool:

LK
07-06-2004, 07:05 AM
Raven IS the man. Good read LC