PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about Delgado not coming out of the Dugout for the Anthem?

Jesus Shuttlesworth
07-09-2004, 01:42 AM
He did in protest of the war in the Iraq.

I personally think I think its a stupid move. I also don't agree with the war in the Iraq, but the flag doesn't represent JUST the war in Iraq.

I have never been a fan of people turning their back on the flag or anything like that at sporting events. Don't get me wrong, they have to right too if they want, but personally I don't think turning your back on the flag during the Anthem is the right way to protest a war.

MoRcHeEbA
07-09-2004, 02:05 AM
he's not american, he doesn't play for an american team... they're not playing his national anthem. He could show the proper respect. So could major League Baseball to play every players national anthem.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
07-09-2004, 02:16 AM
No, but he has stood every other time it has played. No need to try to make a big deal about it about he isn't American. Just saying he has always stood up for it, but this time he decided not to to protest the war. Like I said, I don't really think that is the right way to protest it at all. IMO

MoRcHeEbA
07-09-2004, 02:21 AM
im not trying to make this a big thing, but in retrospect I don't think he did anything wrong.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
07-09-2004, 02:26 AM
Yea its just a a matter of opinion. Basically I think it's pretty dumb to protest the war in Iraq by turning your back on the flag

But HEY what do I know I am a stupid American hahah

Loose Cannon
07-09-2004, 10:04 AM
Wasn't this a big thing last year with a volleyball player who turned her back everytime the anthem was played. Or maybe it was 2 yrs ago. But whatever, you have a right to do what you want, so I don't realy care.

VonErich Lives
07-09-2004, 10:33 AM
Do I think it's stupid and strangely timed (I mean, it's not like the war just started and he's been standing all season)... I dunno... seems more to me like he just wanted attention.

That said, freedom of speach, while it's disrespectful... I'd rather just ignore him then let him get attention from it.

YOUR Hero
07-09-2004, 11:10 AM
disrespectful?

:lol:

How is it more disrespectful than blowing up kids and coffee shops that you shrug off as the cost of war?

BCWWF
07-09-2004, 03:18 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he was just really tired and blamed it on that.

If he wants to do it though, I don't really care. Its got you talking, so its doing what it was supposed to.

Lara Emily
07-09-2004, 03:20 PM
National Anthems shouldn't even be played at sports games anyways.

ct2k
07-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Meh, he's still a great ballplayer

samichna
07-09-2004, 07:51 PM
He is pretty shit defensively, actually.

Gonzo
07-09-2004, 07:53 PM
It is his choice, plain and simple.

da_king
07-09-2004, 07:58 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">
i may not neccesarily agree with the platform chosen to make the statement but i certainly do think it's his right. what kind of country would it be if they could just force everyone to stand and sing along or even for bashing an opinon. what would be the point in having those rights in the first place.

</font>

ct2k
07-09-2004, 08:00 PM
He is pretty shit defensively, actually.

Fine, he's great at the plate :p

The CyNick
07-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Its a great move.

The Falg and the anthem are the only real tangible things that people to point to that represents the USA. Since the anthem is played at major sporting events, its a great opportunity for athletes to make a statement if they are so inclined. Its great because then people will talk, and as more people will talk they will get more educated and hopefully make better deicisons in November.

I think more athletes should be making political statements. They are in the public eye and for better or worse they influence people, so if they stand up against something chances are more people will listen. Delgado doesn't agree with the war, well so does the rest of the world, so maybe if more Americans figure that out they will use that knowledge to better their country when they get the chance.

That being said, I dont think anthems should be played at sporting events, unless they are international. But since they are, people should be free to make whatever statement they want to.

KleptoKlown
07-09-2004, 10:01 PM
National Anthems shouldn't even be played at sports games anyways.
:y:

El Capitano Gatisto
07-09-2004, 10:25 PM
If I was famous, I'd piss on an American flag. Things could be so much better than having Renee Zellweger saying "I am against war, I guess hehe" and some dickhead baseball player not bothering to stand up for a worthless anthem.

ct2k
07-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Surely pissing on a picture of George Bush would better emphasise how you feel, or do you hate America and all it's citizens?

El Capitano Gatisto
07-09-2004, 10:46 PM
The US flag stands for greed, colonialism and stupidity. If I could publically piss on it, and reach the attentions of millions of people, I'd love to do it. Then they could see what their flag represents to me.

Penner
07-09-2004, 10:50 PM
Yea its just a a matter of opinion. Basically I think it's pretty dumb to protest the war in Iraq by turning your back on the flag

But HEY what do I know I am a stupid American hahahIt's not his flag.

AlphaBean
07-09-2004, 11:07 PM
The US flag stands for greed, colonialism and stupidity. If I could publically piss on it, and reach the attentions of millions of people, I'd love to do it. Then they could see what their flag represents to me.
The Irish flag represents Guiness and Leprechauns and "Touched by an Angel" to me.

El Capitano Gatisto
07-09-2004, 11:11 PM
It means nothing to me.

Flags are a bunch of bullshit.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
07-10-2004, 01:39 AM
Surely pissing on a picture of George Bush would better emphasise how you feel, or do you hate America and all it's citizens?
That is how I feel (The Bush thing...not hating all the American Citizens obviously haha)

MVP
07-10-2004, 02:25 AM
Yeah props to Delgado for taking a stand.

Nothing like pledging to tangible idols to feel a false sense of pride and security within your country everyday.

House of Pancakes
07-10-2004, 11:17 AM
Who cares? He's paid to hit, not to think.

ct2k
07-10-2004, 12:00 PM
It's not like anyone woulda been watching a Jay's game anyway:p

AlphaBean
07-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Yeah props to Delgado for taking a stand.

Nothing like pledging to tangible idols to feel a false sense of pride and security within your country everyday. Where the hell did "tangible" come from? The concept of "idol" pretty much infers tangibility.

Good job trying real hard to dazzle us with your genius.

How about most people do it not because it idolizes a false sense of pride and security, but they do it because it's a tradition equated with the proud institution that is professional baseball?

Would you say something similarly arrogant about "Take me out to the ballgame," or "NANANANA NANA CHARGE!"

Man, hotdogs are so indicative of the tangibly obese nature of obese Americans in America in this day and age today. They should veritably be banned and removed and not allowed to be served at competitive games between baseball teams.

:$

Sorry for the heavy mockery. It's really directed at everyone here. I just don't like the whole argument. Disrespecting a flag won't do anything but make you look like an ass, and everyone knows it. He's just spitting on baseball.

loopydate
07-10-2004, 03:31 PM
^ I'm sorry, but aren't flags tangible? And, if it's being treated like an idol, then isn't it a tangible idol? One of us missed the point here, and it very well could have been me.

Anyway, I think it's stupid to play national anthems at sporting events (except the Olympics and World Championship type things, natch), just like I think the Pledge of Allegiance is a stupid thing to recite at the beginning of a school day.

House of Pancakes
07-10-2004, 03:34 PM
^ I'm sorry, but aren't flags tangible? And, if it's being treated like an idol, then isn't it a tangible idol? One of us missed the point here, and it very well could have been me.

Holy Christ, it was you.

VonErich Lives
07-10-2004, 05:37 PM
I still don't get the timing, just seems like he wanted personal attention. I mean, what happened in the last week that suddenly made the war so much worse?

As for the flag and anthem they represent the history of the country, going back to the founding fathers.

Everyone has a right to protest, protest the war, speak on TV, march, vote... but I just see a difference between that and the flag/anthem and think you should show respect to those seperate of the actions of todays leaders.

YOUR Hero
07-10-2004, 06:12 PM
<font color=ffdead>To those that question or analyze his decision to not come out of the dugout, I find it rather funny. This whole analysis thing, come on now.</font>

Sensei Of Mattitude
07-10-2004, 10:07 PM
disrespectful?

How is it more disrespectful than blowing up kids and coffee shops that you shrug off as the cost of war?

Someone must have dropped you on your head when you were an infant. You're all fucked up in the head.

Fuck Delgado. He cant carry that fucking team. He can kiss my ass.

Sensei Of Mattitude
07-10-2004, 10:13 PM
If I was famous, I'd piss on an American flag. Things could be so much better than having Renee Zellweger saying "I am against war, I guess hehe" and some dickhead baseball player not bothering to stand up for a worthless anthem.

I'll piss on your face, motherfucker. How would you like that? A big political statement to you. A statement that says "FUCK YOU YOU ANTI-AMERICAN SHIT".

The Mexican flag represents poor ass immigrants running across the boarder in an attempt to make me a Taco at Taco Bell so they can earn a real American dollar. How pesos equals a dollar, today? A million?

Fuck you, pussy.

The Outlaw
07-11-2004, 12:24 AM
Hey Sensei Of Mattitude, how bout that Philly game today?

By the way, you suck

Jesus Shuttlesworth
07-11-2004, 01:42 AM
<font color=ffdead>To those that question or analyze his decision to not come out of the dugout, I find it rather funny. This whole analysis thing, come on now.</font>Why is it so funny?

loopydate
07-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Wow. Has SoM always been a troll and I just never noticed or is this a recent thing?

da_king
07-11-2004, 04:19 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">
bit of a spazz out moment there.

</font>

El Capitano Gatisto
07-11-2004, 04:20 PM
I'll piss on your face, motherfucker. How would you like that? A big political statement to you. A statement that says "FUCK YOU YOU ANTI-AMERICAN SHIT".

The Mexican flag represents poor ass immigrants running across the boarder in an attempt to make me a Taco at Taco Bell so they can earn a real American dollar. How pesos equals a dollar, today? A million?

Fuck you, pussy.

What the fuck are you talking about.

The Outlaw
07-11-2004, 04:21 PM
I agree.

Ol Dirty Dastard
07-18-2004, 09:47 PM
Who carce? The man can do what he wants.

The Mackem
07-19-2004, 07:52 AM
Man, hotdogs are so indicative of the tangibly obese nature of obese Americans in America in this day and age today. They should veritably be banned and removed and not allowed to be served at competitive games between baseball teams.

The Mackem
07-19-2004, 07:56 AM
And well on the subject basically I don't know what goes on at baseball games when the anthem is played but here in the UK they are only played when opposing countries play. In fact doesn't foreign people singing your national anthem not get on your nerves? Sort of like he's not American so why is he singing it.

But I agree he should be kicked out of the country

MoRcHeEbA
07-21-2004, 09:27 PM
it might be pointed out he only doesn't stand for god bless america on sundays, holidays, and when they play the yankees.

DaveWadding
07-21-2004, 09:42 PM
it might be pointed out he only doesn't stand for god bless america on sundays, holidays, and when they play the yankees.
Let it also be pointed out that that's the only time they play it.

MoRcHeEbA
07-21-2004, 09:50 PM
well it's not like he's not standing for the anthem

DaveWadding
07-21-2004, 09:51 PM
true