PDA

View Full Version : To Be The Man... (Book review)

DaveWadding
07-10-2004, 03:10 PM
...you gotta beat THE MAN... and I! AM! THE! MAN! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I just finished Flair's book. I read someone on here say that it's been compared favorably to a 1989 Flair/Steamboat showdown. IMO, it's AT LEAST that good. Lots of great stories. What's great though is Flair talks SO MUCH SHIT. He mouths off on almost everyone. Bischoff (especially), Foley, Bret, Jeff Jarrett, the Steiners, Russo, Hogan, Savage... and thats just off the top of my head. I might not agree with his opinion of certain people, but at least Flair is ballsy enough not to pull any punches when he talks about these particular people. It's very well (ghost)written, if you are like me, and you hear what you read in your mind, it sounds EXACTLY like Flair. It's not horribly done like Rocky's book, or other badly done wrestling biographies.

****.5/5

In closing, Space Mountain might be the oldest ride in the park, but it still has the longest line.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

John la Rock
07-10-2004, 03:26 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOO

I will pick it up very soon :y:

Rob
07-10-2004, 03:44 PM
It's in the post.

Flair is basically dishing out receipts on everyone who ever said anything negative about him. The Foley and Hart comments are completely unjustified. Both men called truce with Flair and Hart definately apologised for his comments but Flair is obviously the kind of guy who will shake your hand and not mean it. Even after Shane Douglas' comments, he shook his hand too. If you are going to shake a man's hand and call it a truce, you don't stir sh</>it later. Funny how he is pals with Shawn Michaels and HHH now and they get put over like Gods in the book isn't it? Flair is a great wrestler but he is a total backstabbing brown nose piece of sh</>it and I have no more respect for him.

Loose Cannon
07-10-2004, 03:58 PM
It's in the post.

Flair is basically dishing out receipts on everyone who ever said anything negative about him. The Foley and Hart comments are completely unjustified. Both men called truce with Flair and Hart definately apologised for his comments but Flair is obviously the kind of guy who will shake your hand and not mean it. Even after Shane Douglas' comments, he shook his hand too. If you are going to shake a man's hand and call it a truce, you don't stir sh</>it later. Funny how he is pals with Shawn Michaels and HHH now and they get put over like Gods in the book isn't it? Flair is a great wrestler but he is a total backstabbing brown nose piece of sh</>it and I have no more respect for him.

Couldn't agree more. Did you here the interview on BTR this week Rob? WTF, is he delirious or something? How could he say those things about Foley and how Foley was never a team player and didn't care about the business as a whole. Give me a fk'n break. Foley made HHH, Foley made Rock, Foley helped establish Orton a little more. Flair is so full of himself, it's ridiculous.

Rob
07-10-2004, 04:19 PM
For me to have no respect for Flair anymore is tough too because I saw NWA long before I saw WWF (which is unheard of for anyone in England) and grew up on Flair first of all. Absolutely loved watching this guy and loved his legacy. I took a ton of grief too for defending him to the heavens when the world seemed to be against him but he can't be defended anymore. He is a mark for his own face and voice and why arguably the best wrestler ever has to brown nose Triple-H in 2004 is baffling. It's a shame too but I guess having 83 world title reigns, millions of dollars, a family and best the business has seen isn't good enough for him.

da_king
07-10-2004, 04:41 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">
hey rob, was flair untruthfull in his comments or were they more just opinions on those guys?

anyway i'll try to pick up the book this weekend.

</font>

Rob
07-10-2004, 05:30 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">
hey rob, was flair untruthfull in his comments or were they more just opinions on those guys?

anyway i'll try to pick up the book this weekend.

</font>

To be honest, I only know for a fact what he said about Foley and Hart. Both were opinions and were totally unjust. He tried to make some facts of his own like claiming Vince McMahon made Mick Foley like he made Brutus Beefcake and Ultimate Warrior meaning he was just a character anyone could have played. He had opinions on Montreal and reaction to Owen Hart's death that he had no business talking about like he did since it didn't involve him and he wasn't there at all. He apparently took shots at Randy Savage as a worker too. Hey! He said the Ultimate Warrior was the worst wrestler he worked with and Savage got not one, but TWO great matches out of him. How bad does Savage sound now?

Loose Cannon
07-10-2004, 05:43 PM
I guess Flair doesn't remember the whole angle leading up to Mania 8 or that match eathier. Or maybe he just thinks he carried that whole angle and match all by himself. :roll: Seriously, Savage was one of the greatest for a long while.

Rob
07-10-2004, 06:13 PM
Just heard his comments on BTR and he comes off like such a cock. How can Flair can brown nose Hunter day in, day out and then say Foley is a suck up? Foley isn't a team player? Oh leave me out. Put it this way, he seriously thinks HHH is better than Randy Savage, Mick Foley and Bret Hart. The guy has lost his marbles.

Ric Flair can take his bitch tits and FU</>CK OFF!

Gerard
07-10-2004, 07:34 PM
Flairs also appearing on off the record on Tuesday July 27th. Should be interesting to see what way he reacts, that landsberg guy usually doesn't pull any punches with the questions he asks.

After reading some of this stuff though makes me wonder wtf is going through his mind, calling triple h the best wrestler there is and having benoit on the same show is just retarded. Think ol pappa flair has taken one too many chairshots to the nut and lost too much blood to even realise the shite hes dribbling.

KingofOldSchool
07-10-2004, 07:44 PM
I love Ric Flair.

Rob
07-10-2004, 08:23 PM
Flairs also appearing on off the record on Tuesday July 27th. Should be interesting to see what way he reacts, that landsberg guy usually doesn't pull any punches with the questions he asks.

After reading some of this stuff though makes me wonder wtf is going through his mind, calling triple h the best wrestler there is and having benoit on the same show is just retarded. Think ol pappa flair has taken one too many chairshots to the nut and lost too much blood to even realise the shite hes dribbling.

Landsberg is the best mainstream interview out there in my opinion.

Lara Emily
07-10-2004, 08:33 PM
Landsberg is the best mainstream interview out there in my opinion.
Indeed he is.

Marc the Smark
07-11-2004, 01:12 AM
What's BTR and how can I hear that interview?

LK
07-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Like somebody said in another Flair thread, Ric Flair the wrestler rules but Flair the man is an asshole.

HankScorpio
07-11-2004, 11:27 AM
Like somebody said in another Flair thread, Ric Flair the wrestler rules but Flair the man is an asshole.

Whoever said that is bang on the money :rofl:

da_king
07-12-2004, 01:42 AM
<font color="#ccffcc">
got the book yesterday, havn't come across anything too damning yet. i just love all the early nwa stuff and it's cool reading about some of the matches and feuds and stuff i remember. i was really suprised about some of the priase he gave ricky morton, probably a nobody by a lot of people's standards. i really enjoy reading about this time period with the nwa.

</font>