PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3

Adder
07-12-2004, 11:42 AM
March 31, 2005.

That's the goal.

Supposed to have some revolutionary 'cell' instead of chip that allows iut to be 20 times faster.

#BROKEN Hasney
07-12-2004, 11:44 AM
The "cell" is odd though.Aparantly, it can draw power from other cells, making it faster. but for that to be true, all PS3s would have to be linked up.

I think it will be a sham, much like the "emotion engine" was though. Weird thing is though, all 3 of the next consoles are using IBM chips and ATI graphics :)

Sephiroth
07-12-2004, 11:56 AM
^ That's true, I think Sony will win the consoles war and stay on nr 1 with gameconsoles and games.

#BROKEN Hasney
07-12-2004, 11:59 AM
^ That's true, I think Sony will win the consoles war and stay on nr 1 with gameconsoles and games.
Probably. I think MS will beat them eventually, but not this generation. Nintendo will always be around to, and I think they will hand the PSP a wake-up call that Sony is not invincible no matter what they think.

Just like when Nintendo thought they were invincible before the N64 ;)

DS
07-12-2004, 01:42 PM
From early talks of the PS3, it seems as if it won't be touched this generation. It seems like they are seriously looking hard at the hardware this time. The Eye Toy intergrated in it that can read your emotions...just another thing to set it away from the pact. It was like Microsoft was with the harddrive. That helped them (other then the graphics were a bit cleaner) because nobody else had it. Now that Sony does it puts more of a challenge on selecting.

#BROKEN Hasney
07-12-2004, 01:49 PM
The only problem talking about the PS3 is there are no stone cold facts and there won't be until we see some games running on it

Boomer
07-12-2004, 02:23 PM
But the fact is that it might be 500 bucks. I don't know anyone that would pay that much for a gaming system.

DS
07-12-2004, 02:29 PM
I would. Plus, that's probably what all the next generation consoles will be hovering around.

Boomer
07-12-2004, 02:40 PM
It's too much. Seriously. If it keeps going up the gaming industry is gonna get hit hard.

DS
07-12-2004, 04:19 PM
That's what a lot of people said for this generation. If you would have gone on eBay and looked how much the PS2s were selling for after the release, you would see there are tons of people willing to pay $500+ for a gaming system. It's a lot of money, that's for sure, but they do that to get as many as they can then, and when they are ready for the price drop everyone who had been saving up can now get it.

Hell, the Nintendo DS is $200 for a portable system and I bet it sells great. That's how much the GC was when it was released. It's an ongoing cycle. The gaming industry is on a high right now and they are just trying milk it out.

Boomer
07-12-2004, 04:31 PM
PCs have progressively gotten better and better, but have stayed around the same price. 200 bucks isn't bad. I payed 100+ for my Voodoo 3 and 200 for my new ATI. My family payed 2000 bucks for a PC Junior before I was born. And I made my computer for about 1500 bucks.

I've never owned a recent console. Just last year I bought a PS1. Why? Because everything else is too expensive. But I've always wanted to own a PS2. But I can't. I don't have the money.

And it looks like I won't ever have enough money. Which sucks.

DS
07-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I agree it's a lot, but I will pay it. I hope it ends up lower but if it doesn't then it looks like I'll pay a little more. I still have another $1,500 for my computer left and I've spent about that on making it what it is now. :( Just going to pay what I have to and then save up.

Ninti the Mad
07-12-2004, 05:49 PM
It's too much. Seriously. If it keeps going up the gaming industry is gonna get hit hard.

LOL

You are an idiot.

I paid 400 bucks for the PSX when it first came out and we were broke.

Boomer
07-12-2004, 06:19 PM
LOL

You are an idiot.

I paid 400 bucks for the PSX when it first came out and we were broke.

I'm sorry I don't have the same financial situation as you. And that that makes me an idiot.

Boomer
07-12-2004, 06:34 PM
Poll on Gamefaqs...

Would you be willing to pay $500 for a PlayStation3?

Yes, in a heartbeat 7.04% 4300
Maybe, I'd need to save up 14.57% 8899
No, I need it to be cheaper 59.7% 36454
$500? I wouldn't pay $5.00! 18.68% 11404
TOTAL VOTES 61057

Boomer
07-12-2004, 06:48 PM
And maybe I was exaggerating on it hitting the industry hard, but they will probably never get a customer out of me. 100-200 bucks is the max price. Games cost too much for me to have to pay that much for a system.

Ninti Ishkur
07-12-2004, 08:41 PM
They're just saying that now but those same people that want it to be cheaper will go out and buy it when they have the chance.

I guarantee.

Boomer
07-12-2004, 09:19 PM
They're just saying that now but those same people that want it to be cheaper will go out and buy it when they have the chance.

I guarantee.

I'm sure you are right to an extent. But it's obvious that it isn't liked among the more avid gamers (the people who frequent Gamefaqs). I'm willing to spend 500 dollars on some things, but for JUST a gaming system, I don't think so. You have other things to buy along with it anyway. So in essence its more than 500 dollars.

But whatever. It's my opinion, maybe not yours.

Silverbird
07-13-2004, 01:00 AM
March 31, 2005.

That's the goal.

Supposed to have some revolutionary 'cell' instead of chip that allows iut to be 20 times faster.

Yeah right...
Why dont u try creating one :naughty:

Silverbird
07-13-2004, 01:03 AM
Yeah, I agree it's a lot, but I will pay it. I hope it ends up lower but if it doesn't then it looks like I'll pay a little more. I still have another $1,500 for my computer left and I've spent about that on making it what it is now. :( Just going to pay what I have to and then save up.

Do u think ur a billionaire? So much money to spare...
Donate part of ur FORTUNE to the children needy fund :y: OM

DS
07-13-2004, 05:12 AM
That's months of savings. If I had that much spare change I would be spending more.

road doggy dogg
07-13-2004, 06:58 AM
Yeah I would never spend over $300 (Canadian) on a console myself. I don't care if PS3 gives you fucking blowjobs, $500 will be way too much.

#BROKEN Hasney
07-13-2004, 06:34 PM
It's going to be much later than March 2005:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3886991.stm

Nintendo and Sony both going to show off their next home consoles at the same time

It looks like the next XBox will be out before those two, however:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=56022

Ninti Ishkur
07-13-2004, 08:41 PM
Besides, games are what sell consoles. Not price.

If you have alot of jems for games on a console, chances are that you are going to buy the console. Even if it's $500.

I am going to hold up that Sony will keep top quality games on their system and stick with what I know is good.

However, time will tell.

I remember when it was a choice between N64 and Psx.

Guess which system had Twisted Metal.

HeartBreakMan2k
07-14-2004, 01:09 AM
If the PS3 keeps the backwards play ability I'll just trade in my PS2. I refuse to pay more than $300 though.

Head
07-14-2004, 02:28 AM
I'm really happy with my PS2 right now, and wouldn't mind sticking with it for another three years or so.

I'll probably pick up a PS3 once the price drops.

mitch_h
07-14-2004, 03:49 AM
Maybe it's just me... but i'm not really "ready" for a new console already.

DS
07-14-2004, 04:13 AM
There's a lot of people who aren't ready for it. We are still coming out with games that are actually getting what the system has to offer out of them and they are already coming out with a new system. I wouldn't mind a more powerful system at all, but I wish we could push the ones we have to their limit before they release the next ones. That's the world of gaming for you. :)

tucsonspeed6
07-19-2004, 02:47 PM
About the $500 price: The higher the original price is, the quicker it will go down. PS2 was down to 200 within a couple years and down to 150 a couple years after that. PS1s were 200 for as long as I remember until they came out with PS2. It could be that the addition of the xbox helped with the price drop, but if that is the case, I'm guessing that by the time I have enough money for the PS3 they'll already be down to 300 dollars.

About the PS2: What ever happened to these upgrades I always heard about. Sure, they came out with the network adaptor, but I also heard that they were planing on creating a hard drive so you wouldn't have to worry about load times anymore.

About graphics: How good will the graphics really be? The PS2 already has awesome graphics, and it's powerful enough that the graphics are still getting better. But you have to wonder that if the same leap in graphics made from the PS1 to the PS2 will be proportional to the leap to the PS3, we'll have to buy high deffinition TVs to get the most out of the hardware.

About waiting: I got my first PS2 in the first week they came out. At first I was content in buying DVDs, but later I wanted a game. After a month of the PS2 being out, the best game available was "The Bouncer" and as cool as it was for the first two days I played it, I came to the realization that it sucked and I wished they had made better games to introduce the system with. I'm deffinately waiting after the PS3 comes out.

KleptoKlown
07-19-2004, 02:53 PM
When PS3 comes out, i'll buy a PS2 because those should go way down in price :shifty:

and if Sony was smart, they'd release it a month or so before xmas.

Funky Fly
07-19-2004, 02:59 PM
There's a lot of people who aren't ready for it. We are still coming out with games that are actually getting what the system has to offer out of them and they are already coming out with a new system. I wouldn't mind a more powerful system at all, but I wish we could push the ones we have to their limit before they release the next ones. That's the world of gaming for you. :)
Yeah, It might be time to extend the gap between console generations from 5 years to 7.

The One
07-19-2004, 03:05 PM
For $500 it better give me a blow job when I beat a game...seriously. :shifty:

Oh and does anyone know if you can keep playing PS1 and PS2 games on it, cause I REFUSE to give up my original playstation games, too many good ones.

DS
07-19-2004, 03:10 PM
The hard drive for the PS2 has been out since about March. They have been on time with their upgrades.

The PS3 will most likely be backwards compatiable. Sony knows that's what people are looking for so they are not going to screw it up.

There was a commercial that came out last year, I believe, that had a computer generated football team playing a game in snow. Well, that is suppose to be what the graphics will come out to. If anybody remembers that commercial at all and can give more information then please do. I believe it was for a soda product. Maybe Pepsi or Coke. Don't remember though.

Gonzo
07-19-2004, 03:17 PM
More than likely, I've heard that the PS3 will be an entertainment center in and of itself. Not just games, a whole home entertainment device.

KleptoKlown
07-19-2004, 03:35 PM
More than likely, I've heard that the PS3 will be an entertainment center in and of itself. Not just games, a whole home entertainment device.

So it'll be a computer...

RoXer
07-19-2004, 03:43 PM
The hard drive for the PS2 has been out since about March. They have been on time with their upgrades.

The PS3 will most likely be backwards compatiable. Sony knows that's what people are looking for so they are not going to screw it up.

There was a commercial that came out last year, I believe, that had a computer generated football team playing a game in snow. Well, that is suppose to be what the graphics will come out to. If anybody remembers that commercial at all and can give more information then please do. I believe it was for a soda product. Maybe Pepsi or Coke. Don't remember though.

The one with Mike Vick and Terell Owens? It was for Nike.....I believe.

DS
07-19-2004, 04:07 PM
Yeah that was it. Was for Nike. But yeah, that's what the graphics are suppose to resemble. Almost that of cinematic.

Sepholio
08-07-2004, 06:15 PM
Every generation of consoles have one thing in common: They always claim that the system will sell for 500 dollars when it comes out. They said that about the PS2, and it came out for 300 if you bought it at the store (which was difficult at first). They can say it will be 500 dollars all they want, they just make that claim so they have room to work with in case it gets more expensive than they ACTUALLY assume it will be, and they won't be pissing people off. They would much rather say it will cost 500, then actually sell it for 300-400 when it comes out, than say it will cost 300-400 and it come out at 500.

Sepholio
08-07-2004, 06:17 PM
Also, they have in-game footage in a trailer for the first PS3 game. The graphics look cleaner and more detailed than current top of the line CGI movies in games, and it runs smooth as hell. The game is called Dark Sector, and I believe IGN has a trailer of it.

The Answer
08-08-2004, 02:59 PM
The one with Mike Vick and Terell Owens? It was for Nike.....I believe.

Wow if it's like that then im buying it without a doubt

Buzzkill
08-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Does anyone know where I can download the commercial? I'd love to see it.

DS
08-08-2004, 10:42 PM
Here's the commercial. It was the one with Vick and Owens.

http://www.mastudios.com/media/nike.mpg

DS
08-08-2004, 10:45 PM
Let me just say that it's suppose to have the power of that, not every game is going to look like that. Obviously. But I would expect something along those lines.

Buzzkill
08-09-2004, 01:39 AM
Wow

Wyatt
08-09-2004, 04:46 AM
Impressive :y:

LaoOu
08-10-2004, 05:05 AM
wth?? why they go invent so many playstations for??