PDA

View Full Version : What is a Mark

GARAGExBANDxGEEK
12-26-2003, 12:58 PM
I have heard it a bunch on this site but i never know what it is. You guys talk about it like the worst thing ever. :-\

MVP
12-26-2003, 01:12 PM
It's a person who thinks angles and gimmicks in wrestling are real, but it's often times misused as a synonym for "fan".

GARAGExBANDxGEEK
12-26-2003, 01:20 PM
So like any kid that likes wresling and thinks it is real is a mark?

MVP
12-26-2003, 01:21 PM
Pretty much, but ask someone else just to make sure.

GARAGExBANDxGEEK
12-26-2003, 01:25 PM
Thanks

KayfabeMan
12-26-2003, 04:25 PM
Anyone who is set up for a prank or gag; or someone who is going
to be swindled by someone else (ie. someone on Candid Camera or
Punk'd or Scare Tactics; a wrestling fan,etc...) is a mark.

It used to be that if you thought it was real that that qualified as
being a mark; but since 99.9% of people now know otherwise (that
it is fake) whether or not you believe it's real doesn't really effect
you being a mark.....although the ones who believe it's real are the
mega-marks.

EVERYONE who watches wrestling regularly and/or has favorites
or people they enjoy are marks; wrestlers themselves often are
marks for other workers.

moshingfreak
12-26-2003, 04:30 PM
You left off the wrestling matches part. People who think wrestling is real is a mark too. It's all fake, the storylines, wrestling and gimmicks. Everything.

:cry:

GARAGExBANDxGEEK
12-26-2003, 07:10 PM
wrestling fake

Kenny
12-26-2003, 09:34 PM
A "Mark" is what you'll find in my pants every time Triple H drops a title.

Kenny
12-26-2003, 09:34 PM
You left off the wrestling matches part. People who think wrestling is real is a mark too. It's all fake, the storylines, wrestling and gimmicks. Everything.

BULLSHIT!

HeartBreakMan2k
12-26-2003, 09:58 PM
To be specific, it seems that lately, a mark is someone who considers a wrestler the best, soley off of their character and who the creative team pushes.

I know someone who thinks Hulk Hogan is the best wrestler ever, because the creative team built him that way. I'd consider him a mark as Hogan was barely a wrestler. Great entertainer, but a wrestler he was not.

Also if you say Angle, Storm, ect suck. Then you're automatically a mark in some peoples eyes. The same could be said if you say Jeff Hardy rules.

Fryza
12-26-2003, 11:42 PM
The thing I don't get, is that wrestling internet fans thinks that people who don't have computers are always marks. That's not always true. Everyone knows that wrestling is fake.

See, there is problem with "internet fans." Anyone who watches wrestling and has the internet and uses the 'net at some time for wrestling IS an internet fan.

Not ALL of wrestling is exactly fake, some of the moves do hurt from what I know, even if they aren't done wrong. But it is for the most part yeah..

A mark is just someone who follows the storylines. Boos for the baddie and cheers for the good guy. To "mark out," is just cheering for someone you like, or booing someone you don't like.

:-\

Kane Knight
12-26-2003, 11:54 PM
"Mark" is old Carnie slang for a potential victim of a carnie game. Sucker someone into a rigged game of "chance," for example.

Mark originally, before that, referred to a target. It's pretty obvios how the one came from the other.

nowadays, a mark is a hardcore fan, whether or not he buys KAYFABE. Not everyone uses it in a negative sense, though there is still often a connotation of "suckaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" in it.

Personally, it's my belief that anyone who likes wrestling enough to dedicate time to coming online and discussing, praising, or pissing and moaning is a mark, whether or not they themselves want to admit it.

Gerard
12-27-2003, 12:47 AM
Everyone knows that wrestling is fake.

Tell that to tpww's #1 gibberish poster sexymanalive (why do i think his name was meant to be sexiestmanalive but he couldn't figure out how to spell it). His posts just smack of someone that believes its all real. :nono:

asphyXy
12-27-2003, 12:56 AM
<font color=969696>A mark is someone who follows the storylines with little or no knowledge of the "politics".</font>

Gerard
12-27-2003, 01:38 AM
<font color=969696>A mark is someone who follows the storylines with little or no knowledge of the "politics".</font>

To be honest it was better and i enjoyed the show a LOT more when i nothing of all this alleged (and i say alleged because 99% of these rumors are just rumors everyone seems to take as fact) backstage and politics bs. :(

Kane Knight
12-27-2003, 01:57 AM
To be honest it was better and i enjoyed the show a LOT more when i nothing of all this alleged (and i say alleged because 99% of these rumors are just rumors everyone seems to take as fact) backstage and politics bs. :(

So click the X in the upper-right corner of your browser window and don't hang around places that talk about the "alleged" politics.

Big Fat Mike
12-27-2003, 02:03 AM
Leave it to asphyxy to get into semantics.

Kane Knight
12-27-2003, 02:07 AM

Yeah. What did Jewish people ever do to him? :rant:

Corkscrewed
12-27-2003, 02:18 AM
Also, to put a little adendum to the definition, a "mark" can sometimes be used colloquially and condescendingly to refer to an ignorant poster who posts stupid thing. Synonymous to "moron," etc...

GARAGExBANDxGEEK
12-27-2003, 03:14 PM
Wow I am just as confused as when I started.

GARAGExBANDxGEEK
12-27-2003, 03:29 PM
This is what I have got out of this. A mark is a person that watches wrestling and boos for the bad guys and cheers the good guy.They do not care / know about the
politics so most if not all of us were marks When we thought it was real but now that most fan our on the internet reading spoilers and talking about the politics of it all we now think of a mark as any fan. They devotes their time to watch wrestling is thay a mark?

Sephiroth
12-27-2003, 03:32 PM

BULLSHIT!

What Kenny said :lol:

asphyXy
12-27-2003, 03:36 PM
<font color=969696>This thread was posted for a reason.</font> :-\

Ricky
12-27-2003, 03:42 PM
Well, I usually say that every wrestling fan is a mark. But, as far this "smark" thing goes, that term is thrown around way too losely. Some people seem to think that just because they know all the latest backstage news, that makes them a "smark". But seriously, without the internet, 95% of so called smarks would be absolutely screwed, just because they don't know all about what is happening backstage. But IMO it's not all about backstage news, it's about understanding the wrestling industry completely. It has NOTHING to do with the internet. Meh, I had an entire thing in my head I was going to write about this, but I can't really think right now.

But as it is, I don't really believe in "marks" and "smarks" anyway. The way I see it is that if you're a wrestling fan, then you are exactly that, just a "fan".

Ricky
12-27-2003, 03:47 PM
Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with cheering for the faces and booing the heels. That is what you are SUPPOSED to do. But some people seem to think differently.

For example, say someone comes on here and says that they don't like Chris Jericho, when Jericho is a heel. For some stupid reason, that person is immediately branded is a "mark", and in some cases "stupid". Now WTF is that all about? He's a heel, you're not meant to like him.

Corkscrewed
12-27-2003, 05:26 PM
Wow I am just as confused as when I started.

Sorry.

Basically, in wrestling, a "mark" is most literally considered to be the average fan who cheers the faces, boos the heels, has his/her favorite wrestlers, etc... They choose to believe in the storylines, etc... and do not know about or care about backstage politics or the reality of the business.

Online, the term "mark" has developed a secondary and colloquial (slang) meaning, to define a person who is stupid and actually thinks wrestling is real OR to define a person who's just stupid. This second meaning is basically an offensive term that can be used in place of, say, "idiot," "moron," "dimwit," etc...

=====
=====

A "smark" is a colloquial term for wrestling fans who use the internet and are aware of backstage situations, politics, etc... In a sense, they are enlightened marks, or smart marks. Hence, the two words are merged into the word "smark."

I believe that term was coined by wrestlers who were tired of the internet criticism. Thus, the word "smark" does have a bit of a negative connotation.

And if you're still confused, don't worry yourself too much about it. ;) :wave:

Oxstar
12-27-2003, 06:15 PM
dark kane is 1 big mark!

Corkscrewed
12-27-2003, 06:21 PM
No, just full of himself and grossly ignorant.

Gerard
12-27-2003, 06:38 PM
So click the X in the upper-right corner of your browser window and don't hang around places that talk about the "alleged" politics.

Nah, find it amusing as to how many people take rumours as the word of god so i stick around.

Kane Knight
12-27-2003, 06:43 PM
Nah, find it amusing as to how many people take rumours as the word of god so i stick around.

And you similarly provide amusement to these boards. :)

Gerard
12-27-2003, 06:57 PM
And you similarly provide amusement to these boards. :)
I think that spots been taken by sexymanalive and his attempts at typing coherent english. :(

Oxstar
12-27-2003, 07:00 PM
dark kane and sexymanalive are a mark! they are a mark like triple h and steph!

Volchok
12-27-2003, 07:16 PM
i know for a fact that some of the wrestling moves hurt like a bitch... this i know because i wrestled w/ my cousin's and friends like 2 years back... i broke like 4 of my ribs... broke my arm... whole bunch of stuff, like the insider's (razor's ) edge that hurts.. unless my cousin just screwd the move up. but the tombstone you can see when kane does it there head dont hit. But some moves do hurt and can risk injury.. thats why they banned the piledriver... people kept gettin hurt..