PDA

View Full Version : Random Wrestling Rewind: 7/16

Loose Cannon
07-16-2004, 08:49 PM
**NOTE: MY Rewind's can now be seen on the front page of TPWW. So, if you forgot your passowrd and really can't wait to view my Rewind, you can just view it on the front page now. :)

Moment: ECW REUNITES

Year: 2001

Yes, this moment provide some markout fests for many wrestling fans around the world, including myself. Now, I admit, I wasn’t a huge fan of the ECW promotion back in the mid-late 90’s, but when I watched it, I did enjoy it. ECW was a promotion based out of Philadelphia and it came to be a cult favorite with many wrestling fans around the world. Chants of “ECW, ECW, ECW,” can still sometimes be heard today on episodes of Monday Night Raw. Fans loved the hardcore matches and the over the top storylines that were featured on ECW. Most of all, however, fans loved watching the wrestlers of ECW perform for them because they knew they were getting 101% every time a wrestler stepped through the curtain.

Let’s fast forward to 2001. ECW had gone bankrupt and now was owned by Vince McMahon. Vince had also purchased WCW around this time too. Vince now owned the rights to the other two major companies that were competing with him. So what does Vince decide to do in storyline sense, yep you guessed it, Invasion.

The Invasion started out not that great as WCW and their new “owner,” Shane McMahon, were set up to play the babyfaces against Vince and his evil WWF empire. Shane and his new WCW buddies appeared at Wrestlemania 17 and sat in the skybox section watching the matches as they unfolded. You saw them cheering Shane during his match with Vince and that’s about how involved they got with Wrestlemania. Soon, WCW superstars started appearing on Raw and doing run-ins, attacking various WWF superstars. Lance Storm was the first ever WCW superstar to appear on Raw when he superkicked Perry Saturn in the face. He missed by the way, but Saturn went down anyway. The problem with this was the fact that the WCW superstars appearing on WWE TV were just a bunch of midcarders, who did nothing but attack other midcarders. The audience wasn’t buying WCW as a threat if all they were going to do was attack WWF wrestlers, who were probably jobbing on Heat from time to time. The Booker T/Buff Bagwell match on Raw didn’t help matters for WCW eathier. So, the WWF came up with a new plan, and boy was it a good one, well, at least for a little while.

Everything unfolded on an episode of Raw on July 9th, 2001. Shane McMahon and his WCW cohort, Diamond Dallas Paige had gotten into a fight in the parking lot. Shane McMahon had challenged DDP to a street fight match and it looked as if WCW was done for. The match was the first match of the night and both men looked furious at each other. The bell rang and they were ready to go, but all of a sudden, Undertaker’s music hit and out he came. Now, Taker had been feuding with Diamond Dallas Paige at the time because Paige was the “Stalker” that had been stalking Undertaker’s wife Sara. Undertaker gets into the ring and tells Shane that he wants DDP to himself. Shane steps aside for a moment and as soon as Taker turns around, Shane nails Taker in the back with a kendo stick and the setup unfolds. The two do a number on Taker and leave him lying in the ring. WCW were now full-fledged heels in the eyes of the fans, but the night wasn’t over by far.

Later on in the night, Booker T took on Kurt Angle in a WCW Title match. Booker T would get the win after interference with Shane McMahon. The crowd was now really pissed at Shane as not only had he helped take down a big WWF favorite, Undertaker, earlier in the show, but now he had cost another big fan favorite a chance to win the WCW Title. I was even started to get real pissed at Shane as you just wanted to see him get his ass whooped. The next match however, would turn my anger into an all out markout fest.

The match seemed like nothing special at first glance. Just two random WWF guys taking on two random WCW guys. The match pitted Kane and Chris Jericho against Lance Storm and Mike Awesome. Like I said, the match was just an ordinary match, but then it happened. All of a sudden, Tommy Dreamer and Rob Van Dam appear from the crowd and jumped into the ring. Both men start attacking Jericho and Kane and the crowd loves it. J.R. starts to lose it at the announce table, but Paul Heyman enjoys it. Lance Storm and Mike Awesome join in on the attack and pummel Jericho and Kane. Then, out from the back, WWF wrestlers come flying down the ramp and into the ring. Well, at first glance, they were just WWE wrestlers to all of us. But, if you were a fan of ECW, you probably did the exact same thing I did when the WWF wrestlers got into the ring. As they stood in the ring standing off RVD and Tommy Dreamer, I started going over each guy to see who was there. Okay, Raven, Taz, the Dudley Boys……..OMG, wait a second….no way….. there’s Rhyno, Justin Credible….It can’t be….. Holy crap, these guys are all from ECW.

As soon as those thoughts ran threw my mind, the, soon to be former, WWF wrestlers turned around and started attacking Jericho and Kane. By this point, the crowd had completely lost it, I’ve lost it back home, JR is having a heart attack at the announce table and Heyman is still loving everything that is going on in the ring. Dreamer hits the “Spicolli Driver” on Jericho and RVD hits the “Van Daminator” on Kane. JR then asks Heyman what the hell is going on and Heyman says, “You want answers, well I say you finally deserve JR, a dam answer.” Heyman then gets in the ring and delivers an awesome promo saying that all the wrestlers in the ring have all joined ECW and how ECW was now part of the Invasion. Heyman then ends his promo by stating, “This Invasion just got taken to the extreme.”

Afterwards: One of my favorite moments of all-time right there. The whole thing was done perfectly and they really should of left ECW as the third stable. Later on in the show, however, ECW merged with WCW, showing that Shane and Heyman were in cahoots all along. Stephanie McMahon soon became the “owner” of ECW and the Invasion was turned into a war between the McMahon’s, instead of what the fans really wanted. The reunion of ECW was definitely a moment to be remembered and will most definitely not be forgotten by fans who witnessed that moment on Raw. Well, that’s all for now, until next time, RKO and Out. :)

Outsider
07-16-2004, 08:55 PM
I have that RAW on video and watch it reguarly. It still gives me shivers in my spine and goes down as my favourite ever moment in wrestling

The Naitch
07-16-2004, 09:00 PM
I got it on tape too. Too bad that the tape is all blury and distorted :mad:

James Steele
07-16-2004, 09:03 PM
That was indeed an awesome moment. If i didn't have dial-up i would so download that.

Jeffhardyfav4life
07-16-2004, 09:08 PM
a def. fav pick of mine.... too bad that it ended way too soon IMHO

The Naitch
07-16-2004, 09:10 PM
lol everyone in ECW were acting all heelish as they were walking down the steps, then you see RVD, the only guy smiling and shit, playing it cool for the fans. CLASSIC

James Steele
07-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Well.... you'd be smiling too if you just had smoked some pot too.

Jeffhardyfav4life
07-16-2004, 09:12 PM
lol everyone in ECW were acting all heelish as they were walking down the steps, then you see RVD, the only guy smiling and shit, playing it cool for the fans. CLASSIC
Loved that moment.... RVD is def a decient *if not great* wrestler

RemyRed
07-17-2004, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naitch

If only he knew what awaited his career... :nono:

MVP
07-17-2004, 12:47 AM
Anybody want to send me that edition of RAW?

Lara Emily
07-17-2004, 01:27 AM
Great moment. 15 minutes of bliss for me. I remember watching that totally unspoiled as I had been away from the internet due to being on vacation. I was so happy to have found that entire match and aftermath online a couple of months back. Great moment and truly one of only 2 times I've marked out in a while.

Too bad they fucked it up like an hour later though.

HeartBreakMan2k
07-17-2004, 01:39 AM
Anybody want to send me that edition of RAW?
I've got the match (thank you Lara) I can send that to you, if you'd like.

HeartBreakMan2k
07-17-2004, 01:41 AM
Also, the only other great moment of the Invasion, was the worked shoot with Paul Heyman on Vince McMahon at the Smackdown before Survivor Series.

Lara Emily
07-17-2004, 02:02 AM
Also, the only other great moment of the Invasion, was the worked shoot with Paul Heyman on Vince McMahon at the Smackdown before Survivor Series.
Which incidently I also have. That;s the one where Tazz chokes out Heyman at the end right?

HeartBreakMan2k
07-17-2004, 02:03 AM
Which incidently I also have. That;s the one where Tazz chokes out Heyman at the end right?
Yup, I've got it to. I watched it right after I read this topic. :D

Favre4Ever
07-17-2004, 02:04 AM
Man, i agree i thought it was awesome, I only wish they had some big guys out there. It seemed like WCW/ECW kept playing the numbers game, but no huge superstars. But still I was into it.

Awesome job LC.

HeartBreakMan2k
07-17-2004, 02:04 AM
AND YOU"VE GOT EVERYTHING :RANT:

Favre4Ever
07-17-2004, 02:05 AM
holy shit lara, i want that match to if you can get it to me.

LK
07-17-2004, 09:36 AM
Awesome moment

The Mackem
07-18-2004, 12:16 PM
There were a few good things that hzppened during the Invasion angle. As sad as it sounds, I loved Austin's mentally unstable character at the time asking for hugs and stuff. Then when he turned on the WWF that was nuts. Also when Austin started punishing WCW workers for losing matches and Tazz saying that DTA now stood for Don't trust Austin.

The Mackem
07-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Yup, I've got it to. I watched it right after I read this topic. :D
Hmmm the one I've got doesn't show him get choked, it finishes after Heyman accuses Vince pof making wrestling a dirty word :(

Evil Vito
07-18-2004, 12:28 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Definate mark-out moment.

The thing that pissed me off about the invasion the most was that I can think of at least 6 times where Tazz got totally punked out by Austin

1. Austin had I think Hugh Morrus, Raven, Palumbo, O'Haire, The Dudleyz, and Rhyno all nail their finishers on him for not preventing Shane from getting Rock Bottomed through a table.

2. Austin ripped off Tazz's shirt and reprimanded him for being the only one not wearing an Austin shirt.

3. Austin had RVD, Test, and Kanyon beat him down for mentioning that Kurt Angle may win at Unforgiven.

4. Austin beat Tazz in a 20-second match with the Stunner.

5. Austin ejected Tazz from an Alliance party for being a spoil-sport.

6. Austin beat Tazz down for saying that he was untrustworthy.

Poor Tazz.</font> :(

The One
07-18-2004, 01:02 PM
Just seeing them all walk through the audience. My god was that intense. I could not stop screaming "E-C-FU</>CKING-W" (which I think a;armed some of the neighbors). Probably one of my top 5 personal favorite moments in wrestling...

If I knew then what I know now...maybe I wouldn't be so happy about it... (*sigh*...Taz, Raven, Storm, RVD, Credible...how can one man/company treat you so poorly)

Innovator
07-18-2004, 01:50 PM
*takes in a deep breath*

ECW ECW ECW ECW ECW ECW ECW

Mayo
07-18-2004, 02:35 PM
That was a great moment that should have definitely been handled differently to make ECW a real threat. Stupid Vince and his lack of faith in wrestlers from other promotions. Great recap as usual, LC.

Azriel
07-18-2004, 04:08 PM
A gerat moment in wrestling, for the one week it lasted. I want to find that so I can download it for sure.