PDA

View Full Version : Current Music Scene?

MajesticFlow
12-27-2003, 12:16 AM
Is it just me or is the current rock getting worse and worse every year? Aside from experimental bands, which when they put out a new cd; it is a NEW cd. It sounds nothing like the others. Besides, what would be the point of recording something else if you've already done it in the past? Beating a dead horse. It sells, it's sad, but it sells.

Linkin Park at the top of the charts? Give me a break. Good Charlotte, and god bless none of you actually like them, is a complete joke. Complaining about parents seems to be a new fad. Awesome when you are a 30 year old man who is making millions of dollars and ripping off people by making tickets to your concert 60 dollars for a nosebleed section.

Rock is dying.

Dream Theater is on the verge or breaking huge. But why won't they? They don't complain about parents and they don't make a fashion statement. their songs are 8 minutes on average and contain incredible talent.

I'm using them as an exemple. There are hundreds of other bands that should be on top.

Kane Knight
12-27-2003, 12:39 AM
Rock isn't dying. It's just going underground. :cool:

Seriously, the problem is you're not looking in the right place. Linkin park is number 1 with a disappointing clone of their first record because they're a pop act with a pop image. That doesn't mean rock's waved bye-bye, it just means the camera's turned to whiny downtuned boybands.

If you want some good no-bells-and-whistles rock, try the Stone Coyotes. They're a power-trio that operate out of Greenfield Mass. Who play a simple style of rock with a distorted, retro, oh so yummy sound. They even do the best cover of Black Sabbath's Paranoid I have EVER heard. The best part is that while they play the same styles (Mostly retro rock, but there is some country influence to a few of their tunes...:shudder: ;) ), their records don't sound like knock-offs of each other. I wasn't even sure I was going to like their new album based on the samples, but it is indeed a good record, just different sounding.

Anyways, enough plugging. If you want some song recs, feel free to ask (either here, a new thread, or PM whatever)

asphyXy
12-27-2003, 12:59 AM
<font color=969696>The charts mean nothing in terms of quality. If you want good music, you have to look for it.</font>

The Mask
12-27-2003, 01:10 AM
Most big bands through time have always had soem anti-parents rebellion type thing going on. just in the past they were a bit more subtle about it than singing about taking it up the arse from your dad.

A Perfect Circle are a good example of awesome yet mainstream rock though.

Kane Knight
12-27-2003, 01:14 AM
Most big bands through time have always had soem anti-parents rebellion type thing going on. just in the past they were a bit more subtle about it than singing about taking it up the arse from your dad.

A Perfect Circle are a good example of awesome yet mainstream rock though.

There have always been a few good pop acts.

The Beatles
Queen
Jimi Hendrix

Are a few examples.

The Mask
12-27-2003, 01:16 AM
of course. Seems the list gets smaller and smaller as we go on though.

Rock has lost its balls for the most part :(

Kane Knight
12-27-2003, 01:26 AM
of course. Seems the list gets smaller and smaller as we go on though.

Rock has lost its balls for the most part :(

That's mostly because the executives learned a while back that you can cash in on music without having to actually scout for talent.

Why go scout for the next Beatles when the Next Backstreet Boys or Linkin Park will sell just as big?

el fregadero
12-27-2003, 01:42 AM
<font color=teal>I like Linkin Park.</font> :cool:

MVP
12-27-2003, 01:52 AM
I try to avoid listening to mainstream bands. but there are some that are hard to resist. For example Staind, Evanescence, and The All-American Rejects:$ are my favorite mainstream bands. Whether or not rock is on the Top X charts or not is a moot point. There's general taste in music, and then there's personal taste.

Kane Knight
12-27-2003, 01:52 AM
<font color=teal>I like Linkin Park.</font> :cool:

I hate them. In fact, I own their two studio CDs, multiple singles, their first DVD, and Reanimation just to serve as tribute to my loathing. ;)

el fregadero
12-27-2003, 01:53 AM
<font color=teal>LP is also one of the few bands I like that is actually still together or alive.</font>

moshingfreak
12-27-2003, 02:03 AM
I like Linkin Park and i dunno how anybody can hate them besides the fact that they get way more advertising than any other rock band that i know of.

I like punk and stuff where the lyrics make absolutely no sense, or talking about being an atheist and such. But I had to find that stuff by myself, and the music shops here dont sell that many underground stuff.

Kane Knight
12-27-2003, 01:57 PM
I like Linkin Park and i dunno how anybody can hate them besides the fact that they get way more advertising than any other rock band that i know of.

You mean besides the fact that not everyone likes scratching, repetitive riffs, RAP, and whiny bitches with ambiguous problems?

I can't think of a SINGLE reason people might not like them. IT's just discrimination because they're popular. :lol:

The Destroyer
12-27-2003, 02:07 PM
If you think rock is dying, then you're not looking hard enough.

Kane Knight
12-27-2003, 11:24 PM
If you think rock is dying, then you're not looking hard enough.

I think it was best said by the who...

Long Live Rock--Be It Dead Or Alive...

Jason Cage
12-28-2003, 01:18 AM
i know what you mean. but i wouldnt say that "rock" is dying, id say "bands" are dying :| (from the quality music they used to make, that is..)

road doggy dogg
12-28-2003, 02:31 AM
LOL another whiney penis

*goes and listens to some Blink*

Downunder
12-28-2003, 02:37 AM
LOL another whiney penis

*goes and listens to some Good Charlotte*

everyhourdylan
01-03-2004, 04:52 PM
our current mainstream music scene sucks. always has always will. you gotta look beneath the mainstream people. er piss in it