PDA

View Full Version : Smackdown Spoilers: The Europa Edition

Champion of Europa
07-28-2004, 01:58 AM
Complete results from the taping.....

Credit: Doug Stuerenberg & WrestlingObserver.com

Dark match:
- Hardcore Holly d. Carly Colon with the Alabama Slam. It was a decent length match and not as bad as some Holly matches. Wonder if he's relegated to this due to his attitude problems?

Velocity:
- WWE Champion John Bradshaw Layfield d. Shannon Moore in a squash with a big powerbomb. Layfield cut a promo before the match saying that had the Undertaker confronted him before Layfield had wrestled last week, he would've knocked out Taker with one punch instead of getting chokeslammed.

- "The Reflection of Perfection" Mark Jindrak d. Scotty 2 Hotty by dropping down on S2H's sunset flip attempt. He held the ropes to get the pin.

- Chavo Guerrero d. Funaki. Fastest-paced match to that point. Chavo raised Funaki up on his back a la the Razor's Edge, then dropped him straight backward onto Funaki's face. That got the win.

- The F.B.I. d. the Bashams. One of the Bashams had Stamboli rolled up when Nunzio caught the Basham with a kick, and Stamboli reversed the rollup for the pin.

Smackdown:

- Video recap of Kurt/Vince/Eddie from last week opens the show -- the same recap as was seen on the Smackdown rebound on RAW. Pyro hits and Booker T comes out with pyro.

- Booker says he wants whoever the new GM is to honor Angle's word and award him the U.S. title. Kenzo Suzuki comes out and says he deserves it, with a geisha girl translating for him. Booker got in a funny line about wanting the GM, not the owner of a sushi bar. RVD came out, immediately followed by Renee Dupree, Luther Reigns, Billy Gunn, Charlie Haas, and finally John Cena to a massive pop. Cena says the fans know who should be the champ, and started an eight-man brawl. Vince McMahon came out and said only one man can decide who should be champ: The new General Manager ... Theodore R. Long! Long said one man deserves the title, and Booker interrupts to say thank you. Long said he didn't mean Booker and says Booker doesn't deserve a thing for hating on Smackdown all the time. He says there will be an eight-man elimination match for the title tonight.

- Spike Dudley d. Rey Mysterio to win the WWE Cruiserweight title. Good match w/ no commercial break because it was relatively short. Finish came when D-Von ran out from the back to yell at the ref and Spike as Spike was in position for the 619. Bubba ran out from the crowd and tripped up Mysterio on the other side of the ring, and Spike hit the Acid Drop for the win. After figuring out his half-brothers had helped, he was angry and tried to apologize to Rey.

- Recap of the JBL/Taker stuff from last week.
Teddy Long tells the divas they will not be underutilized anymore, then walks into his GM office, where he finds Kurt Angle. Angle said he was packing up but Luther already did it for him. Kurt makes comments about Teddy being the first black GM, and Long said that thinking is from 1985. He said Kurt will be in a match TONIGHT, but Kurt starts making excuses, finally settling on not having his wrestling gear. Long says he will be fined $1,000 for not being prepared for work, and Kurt will wrestle next week! "Get ta steppin'!" Long tells Kurt.

- Paul London and Billy Kidman d. the Dudleys to retain the WWE Tag Team Championship. This appeared to have a commercial break, and it was a pretty good match. The finish came when Bubba tried to hit Kidman outside the ring with a chair, but Mysterio ran out from the crowd to get revenge, and he dropkicked the chair back into Bubba. D-Von was promptly pinned in the ring by London.

- Ivory interviews Mick Foley at the Democratic National Convention.

- Eddie Guerrero starts his lowrider going into commercial.

- Hilarious SummerSlam commercial shows Batista doing a floor routine in a gymnastics competition.

- Eddie comes out with something covered in the lowrider to a huge pop. He wants Kurt to meet him face-to-face, but Kurt won't do it, so Eddie tells the crew to unveil stuff in the lowrider: stolen items from Kurt's old GM office. He decides to auction them off on WWE.com. Kurt still doesn't budge. He says the false cast needs some lysol with it, the picture with Kurt and Heyman with a WWE championship belt should be used for a bathroom because it makes him want to go, and he'll get his cousin to put hydraulics on Kurt's wheelchair. Eddie draws a mustache and an "I suck" saying on another Kurt picture, then finds the gold medals. He tries to auction them off to a Cincinnatian for $1, but Kurt finally comes out. He says if Eddie won't give back his stuff, he'll steal the lowrider. Eddie says don't do it because there's an anti-theft device. Kurt says "Nice try" but turns the key and gets powdered in the face! Eddie says the only thing that would make the night better !
is stealing Kurt's music, which plays. Huge "You Suck" chants as Kurt leaves. Entertaining and strong segment.

- Next week: Kurt Angle in action, Spike/Rey vs. the Dudleys.

- JBL commercial a la a politician's commercial airs recounting his playing football with a broken leg, going behind enemy lines to entertain troops, and being the Mexican, Korean, European and WWE Champion. So over-the-top that it works.

- Booker T won the 8-man elimination match for the U.S. title. Eliminations as follows:
Charlie Haas eliminated by Billy Gunn's fameasser. Dupree eliminated by Luther Reigns' finisher. Cena comes in and gets into it with Luther. It spills outside and Kenzo Suzuki hits Cena with the belt from behind, getting DQed. Billy Gunn is next to go with the FU. Luther gets the FU soon after and is gone. The finish was splendid, as RVD caught Cena with the 5-star frog splash. Booker stole the pin and eliminated Cena and quickly caught RVD with a vicious scissors kick to win the match and the title. RVD's head was driven down hard and it looked convincing from my vantage point.

- Booker celebrates on the ramp and leaves. End of show.

- RVD and Cena shake hands and salute the fans while leaving the arena. That was it.

Biggest pops:
1. John Cena
2. Eddie Guerrero
3. Rob Van Dam
4. Rey Mysterio

Biggest heat:
1. Kurt Angle
2. John Bradshaw Layfield
3. Renee Dupree

No Undertaker was kind of disappointing, but otherwise it was an excellent show.

------------------

Sounds like a good show to me, I might actually watch this week. Belee dat.

Boondock Saint
07-28-2004, 02:18 AM
Sounds pretty good. Don't usually read spoilers but I have to work this Thurs night. Still gonna tape it and see how it all plays out.

Teddy Long didn't seem to cater to the heels or faces. Maybe he'll be neutral, but it was his first night so we'll see.

Champion of Europa
07-28-2004, 02:56 AM
Sounds pretty good. Don't usually read spoilers but I have to work this Thurs night. Still gonna tape it and see how it all plays out.

Teddy Long didn't seem to cater to the heels or faces. Maybe he'll be neutral, but it was his first night so we'll see.

He looks to be more of a face to me, but I could see it as neutral as well.

Dave Youell
07-28-2004, 04:01 AM
ok, even though I really don't agree with him being champ, but! Why the hell is the WWE champ on velocity, that's just stupid.

I am pleasantly surprised that Kidman and London retained, I really didn't think they would.

Spike as champ? Hmm ok for now, he'll probably keep it ages but he doesn't want it as the Dudleys keep helping him, till he either fueds with them or joins them and turns heel, but spike as a heel would be horrible.

What was the point of Cena getting eliminated by RVD, OMG they arn't actually thinking of pushing a guy who's entertaining and has been over with the crowd since day 1!!!! Crazy bookers.

Evil Vito
07-28-2004, 11:31 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Looks like a pretty good show. The only surprising thing to me is that Billy Gunn got put into the elimination match for the U.S. Title even though he hasn't been doing anything in past weeks.</font>

Azriel
07-28-2004, 11:37 AM
Teddy Long seems manageable as the new GM, although I miss Steph.

Splaya
07-28-2004, 12:24 PM
Teddy Long seems manageable as the new GM, although I miss Steph.

Do we really need sound bites of her voice to really make you not want to miss her.

Splaya
07-28-2004, 12:25 PM
ok, even though I really don't agree with him being champ, but! Why the hell is the WWE champ on velocity, that's just stupid.

I am pleasantly surprised that Kidman and London retained, I really didn't think they would.

Spike as champ? Hmm ok for now, he'll probably keep it ages but he doesn't want it as the Dudleys keep helping him, till he either fueds with them or joins them and turns heel, but spike as a heel would be horrible.

What was the point of Cena getting eliminated by RVD, OMG they arn't actually thinking of pushing a guy who's entertaining and has been over with the crowd since day 1!!!! Crazy bookers.

Spike Dudley is terrible as a face

Dave Youell
07-28-2004, 12:54 PM
Spike Dudley is terrible as a face
but that's all he's ever done and just wouldn't be a very good under dog heel

KingofOldSchool
07-28-2004, 01:50 PM

Booker T eliminated Cena, not RVD. RVD nailed the 5 * on Cena, but Booker pinned Cena after that.

AareDub
07-28-2004, 02:04 PM
The elimination match could be good, but I think a tournament would've been better. Oh well, a Smackdown where Paul London is involved in a non-squash match is awesome.

Sephiroth
07-28-2004, 02:27 PM
Teddy Long tha man :love:

Good show btw :y:

Innovator
07-28-2004, 02:55 PM
god dammit, how come everytime RVD 5 stars someone another guy gets the pin.

Its a conspiracy against RVD, but then again I'm not telling you anything you don't already know

Corkscrewed
07-28-2004, 05:24 PM
Neutral GM!!! Belie dat, playa!

Sounds average. Good main event... but Spike as champ is :wtf: You know this means he'll drop the title to Bubba at Summerslam.

Dave Youell
07-28-2004, 05:49 PM
Neutral GM!!! Belie dat, playa!

Sounds average. Good main event... but Spike as champ is :wtf: You know this means he'll drop the title to Bubba at Summerslam.
Bubba. Cruiserwieght :wtf:

The CyNick
07-28-2004, 06:49 PM
I'd bet a lot of money that Spike will probably turn heel at some point, either next week or at Summerslam. Its not the worst idea, because to the best of my knowledge he hasn't played heel. He could say he's sick of working so hard and taking so much punishment, so he decided to start taking short cuts and now he's CW champ.

the_rock's_#1_fan
07-29-2004, 03:58 PM
Teddy Long is ok as a choice for now as GM, from what I read he definitely seems more face in his first week, though, but whether it stays that way we'll just have to wait and see.

And I think Spike as CW champion will be a good long title run for him, at least I hope. He's got something now to keep him happy and his mind off Bubba and D-Von at least until he loses the belt again, probably back to either Rey or Chavo, but I could see Noble taking it from him, though, too...

The whole Booker winning the US Championship thing could be setting up a program at SS where "Da Booker-man" would have to defend against RVD and/or Cena in a singles or, hopefully, if Vince has any sense left at all in a week or 2, a triple threat match.

And, finally I hate to be real picky, but aren't "Elimination Matches" essentially just good ol' Battle Royals, like they used to call them...I mean, I know the point is it's a match where the last person left who isn't eliminated wins, but they just called them Battle Royals for the longest time and since GAB (6/27/4) they've been calling the damn things "Elimination Matches"???? :?: Makes no sense to me, they need to just go back to calling these matches what they are: BATTLE ROYALS! They can call a 20-man #1 contender for the WHWC match on RAW a "20-Man Battle Royal" but on SD! when it's the same exact rules and only 8 men are involved, it just hasta be an ELIMINATION MATCH? Talk about conflicted :nono:

James Steele
07-29-2004, 04:02 PM
Becuase the SD! match used pinfalls you ignorant ass.