PDA

View Full Version : 2001 was Kurt Angle's best year of his professional wrestling career

Mr. JL
08-02-2004, 01:29 PM
2001 was Kurt Angle's best year of his professional wrestling career.

He started off the year as the WWF Champion
Defeated Triple H to retain his title at the Royal Rumble
Fought the Rock in a great match in the main event at No Way Out
Fought Chris Benoit in the best match of his career at Wrestle Mania X-Seven
Feuded with Chris Benoit for a few months... Ultimate Submission Match
Ladder Match
Cage Match

Single handedly carried the King of the Ring PPV
- he wrestled Christian in a great match
- then he put over Edge to allow him to become KOTR
- then he faced off against Shane McMahon in the best Street Fight Match ever

Was thrown into a good feud with Stone Cold Steve Austin which was the only good thing about the Invasion angle (and RVD, but the way he's going now it doesn't matter).

Austin V. Angle at Summer Slam was another awesome match ... MOTY quality.
Won the WWF Championship at Unforgiven in his hometown by making Austin tap.

He also won the hardcore title that year but lost it 9 seconds later...
and surprizingly that is not the shortest reign

He was also in involved in one of the 3 Undisputed Championship matches at Vengeance

2001 was Kurt Angle's best year of his professional wrestling career.

True? Or False?

James Steele
08-02-2004, 01:41 PM
I'd have to agree, but you forgot something very important.

2001: Kurt Angle Reveals Musical Talents With Duet With Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Team Sheep
08-02-2004, 01:54 PM
I disagree. 2000 was his best year, he was euro-continental champion, won the king of the ring and won his first WWE Championship.

Nark Order
08-02-2004, 02:17 PM
^ Agreed

Ferocious
08-02-2004, 02:33 PM
I think Kurts best year will be 2005 (injury permitting) but 2001 was his best year so far.

Mayo
08-02-2004, 02:35 PM
I definitely agree with Mr. JL. He will never be the same again because of his neck problems, although I wish he could wrestle full time for another 5 years because Kurt Angle is the fucking man. I am going to mark out like a schoolgirl when I watch his match with Eddie LIVE at Summerslam :D

V
08-02-2004, 02:40 PM
mayo what section are you in @ summerslam?

i'm at crappy section 321

and yes i agree, even though i only started watching wrestling before summerslam 2001, but his match with austin then was awesome, and making him tap at unforgiven, winning the title, having his family hold him up in the air, then all of team WWF coming in, i loved that.

Mayo
08-02-2004, 02:45 PM
Im in section 117, but it says limited view on my tickets :mad:

V
08-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Just be glad ur not stuck in the 300s, my dumbass sis didn't let me buy tix off ebay back when they were cheaper cuz she bought me the 300 level tix for my b-day and doesn't want them going to waste :@

Corkscrewed
08-02-2004, 03:42 PM
Yeah, I gotta go with 2001 as well. 2000 was kind of close, but he was HUGE in 2001.

Favre4Ever
08-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Why wasn't "retained his title in a 6-man hell in a cell match" on there? That seems to sound more important than "retained against Triple H at Royal Rumble". I wouldnt have mentioned it if it didnt seem like everybody had forgotten about it. That match brought Angle up big time as a believable champion.

In that King of the Ring Street Fight, remember when he suplexed Shane against the wall? :eek:

Team Sheep
08-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Why wasn't "retained his title in a 6-man hell in a cell match" on there? That seems to sound more important than "retained against Triple H at Royal Rumble". I wouldnt have mentioned it if it didnt seem like everybody had forgotten about it. That match brought Angle up big time as a believable champion.

In that King of the Ring Street Fight, remember when he suplexed Shane against the wall? :eek:

:wtf:

Maybe because the 6 man hell in a cell wasn't in the year two thousand and one.

Lara Emily
08-02-2004, 04:57 PM
My seats for Summerslam are toally awesome.

As for Angle it's a toss up between 2k and 2k1

John la Rock
08-02-2004, 05:38 PM
I'd say 2000 and I'm also going to Summerslam WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Boondock Saint
08-02-2004, 08:27 PM
He also won the WCW title from Booker T on Smackdown that summer. Only to lose it back to him on RAW.

But yeah, great year for Angle. I only wish he had kept the WWF title longer than he did, I was so sick of Austin holding it, even though I loved his heel character.

LK
08-03-2004, 09:49 AM
I would have to say 2001 as the best year of his career. His entire pro wrestling career has been awesome so it is difficult to put one down as his best. But in that year he had the best match of Wrestlemania and becamne the top face in the company and won the WCW and WWE titles.