PDA

View Full Version : Passing the torch

willster20
08-02-2004, 03:30 PM
Hulk Hogan supposedly passed the torch to the Rock at mania 18. i was wondering how long do you think it will be before the Rock will pass the torch to someone else or how many years it might take?

James Steele
08-02-2004, 03:37 PM
LOL, Hulk passed the torch a long ass time ago.

IMO the "torch" went like this in wrestling in the WWE anyway:

Andre The Giant ---> Hulk Hogan ----> Bret Hart ----> Shawn Michaels ----> Stone Cold Steve Austin -----> The Rock ----> Brock Lesnar ----> HHH stole it :shifty:

Ferocious
08-02-2004, 03:40 PM
i reckon cena and orton are gonna be after 'the torch' for many years to come.

Sephiroth
08-02-2004, 03:42 PM
^ Reppo for that my friend.

James Steele
08-02-2004, 03:43 PM
I think the next "passing" will be from HHH to Randy.

willster20
08-02-2004, 03:50 PM
I think the next "passing" will be from HHH to Randy.

i agree with you 100% i like hogan but he isnt the man anymore and hasnt been for awhile.

Favre4Ever
08-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Rock has been passing the torch. In fact, they've been making him pass the damn thing so much that you can almost expect him to go out there and lose. When the time comes, I guess he'll do the job to Randy, but I really wish he wouldnt.

John la Rock
08-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Also Hulk Hogan passed the torch to the Ultimate Warrior who passed it back to Hogan :lol:

Loose Cannon
08-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Warrior did bad business, so they had to go back to Hulk. Warrior didn't have any big heels lined up for him though, so that killed him

Loose Cannon
08-02-2004, 04:05 PM
And let me clarify that a "Torch" won't be passed until Hunter is out of there.

Rob
08-02-2004, 04:05 PM
LOL, Hulk passed the torch a long ass time ago.

IMO the "torch" went like this in wrestling in the WWE anyway:

Andre The Giant ---> Hulk Hogan ----> Bret Hart ----> Shawn Michaels ----> Stone Cold Steve Austin -----> The Rock ----> Brock Lesnar ----> HHH stole it :shifty:

Are you insane? Hogan gave nothing to Bret Hart. As a matter of fact, he gave nothing to nobody. Bret Hart just took it then did his part to put over Austin and Michaels. The Rock is much of the same. Nobody gave him the torch, he just took it.

Loose Cannon
08-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Yeah, if anything, Hulk gave it to Warrior. Warrior sucked. Hulk got it back. Hulk sucked and then Bret took it and ran with it. Then Shawn got it and sucked.

James Steele
08-02-2004, 04:09 PM
I would have said that, but it would have taken away all of the comedy (which there aint much off) out of the "HHH Stole It" line.

willster20
08-02-2004, 04:35 PM
I would have said that, but it would have taken away all of the comedy (which there aint much off) out of the "HHH Stole It" line.

Just out of curiosity i was wondering who your fav wrestlers are past or present

Sephiroth
08-02-2004, 04:45 PM
Bret and Owen Hart, Angle, Eddie, Benoit, Jericho, Cena, Orton, Edge, AJ.

Loose Cannon
08-02-2004, 05:02 PM
^^What the heck is that?

Dorkchop
08-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Foley kind of passed the torch to Orton. Though, this isn't of the same caliber as the HBK to Stone Cold. You all know what I mean.

JBL should pass the torch to Funaki. I love that guy.

The Ravishing One
08-02-2004, 06:17 PM
I agree, Foley turned Randy into a bigtime player.

The Ravishing One
08-02-2004, 06:18 PM
Foley done the J-O-B on two consecutive ppv's. With one of them being the legend that is Cactus Jack.

:y:

Mayo
08-02-2004, 06:20 PM
The Rock lost the torch after he went away to film his movies. Hunter took it after Rock and Austin were either making movies or walking out on the company. I agree with SirRoundSound that Orton and Cena are next in line for the torch, but not for a while.

James Steele
08-02-2004, 07:01 PM
My favs: Funk,Foley,X-Pac,HBK, Bret, Savage, AJ Styles, HHH (Attitude Era-Injury), Austin, Rock, Cena, Orton (just became a member of the church), Matt Hardy, Simon Diamond, Steve Corino, and William Shatner (he wrestled once) and alot of others.

Anyway, Mick did not pass THE TORCH to Orton. I hope you know what i mean when i say that. Mick didn't do the job that changed wrestling. You look at each of the passings i listed and each "passing of the torch" changed wrestling. Mick made Orton a true superstar, but not the mainstay.

The One
08-02-2004, 07:35 PM
Here is my low down on the "tourch"

Hogan ---> Warrior ---> Tourch blew out ---> Bret Hart created a damn tourch ---> Screw Job ---> New Tourch in Austin ---> Austin leaves for a year ---> Rock makes new tourch ---> Rock goes to film ---> InVasion happened and any respeblance to a tourch was lost as Vince McMahon fucked everything up ---> Brock Lesnar makes a new tourch/Triple H claims to be the tourch bearer on RAW ---> Brock Lesnar quits ---> Randy Orton is in the midst of building one right now...

As you can see, there was only ONE time the tourch was "passed" willingly (or forcable) and that was Hogan to Warrior...No one passes tourches in this business. No one. If Hogan, Flair, Savage, Lugar, and all the others could, they would be Headlining the Main Events of every event. Period.

LK
08-03-2004, 09:54 AM
I would have to agree that HHH will probably pass the torch to Orton

LK
08-03-2004, 09:56 AM
Oh and I agree that Foley didn't pass the torch to ORton but he did what he did for HHH. He made Orton look like a real threat and soemone with great toughness and an ability to take unbelievable pain.

Kane Knight
08-03-2004, 12:32 PM
The torch went out a long time ago.

Loose Cannon
08-03-2004, 01:48 PM
Here is my low down on the "tourch"

Hogan ---> Warrior ---> Tourch blew out ---> Bret Hart created a damn tourch ---> Screw Job ---> New Tourch in Austin ---> Austin leaves for a year ---> Rock makes new tourch ---> Rock goes to film ---> InVasion happened and any respeblance to a tourch was lost as Vince McMahon fucked everything up ---> Brock Lesnar makes a new tourch/Triple H claims to be the tourch bearer on RAW ---> Brock Lesnar quits ---> Randy Orton is in the midst of building one right now...

As you can see, there was only ONE time the tourch was "passed" willingly (or forcable) and that was Hogan to Warrior...No one passes tourches in this business. No one. If Hogan, Flair, Savage, Lugar, and all the others could, they would be Headlining the Main Events of every event. Period.

I agree mostly with this except, Bret passed it to HBK at Mania 12. HBK did horrible business and blew out the torch until Austin reclaimed it. You could say HBK passed it to Austin as well.

Innovator
08-03-2004, 01:53 PM
actually the first torch was from Andre to Hogan, then to Warrior

Splaya
08-03-2004, 01:58 PM
And let me clarify that a "Torch" won't be passed until Hunter is out of there.

Must I remind you that HHH is married to Stephanie so therefore even when he cannot wrestle, he will play the role of Vince.

Innovator
08-03-2004, 01:58 PM
I dunno, in this day and age "the torch" is often confused with "the ball".

The ball is given to someone so they can prove themself on a main event/grand scale. Example, Angle winning the WWF title from the Rock, that was Angle's chance to run with the ball. People have been given the ball only to drop it horribly.

The torch passing is that one match that one instance where the wrestling world stands still and is changed from that moment on. This hasn't happened for a while, I don't even know who has the damn torch. Only torch I see being passed is if Taker loses to someone cleanly at Wrestlemania or if HHH loses cleanly and shakes the guy's hand afterwards.