PDA

View Full Version : "The Radicals" Appreciation Thread

Favre4Ever
08-02-2004, 05:53 PM
Lets take a moment and remember one of the greats. This team helped revert the WWF from alot of their hardcore stuff to actual wrestling. Each member of this group fell into a certain superstar category, and thats a big reason why they were as dominant as they became.

http://www.wrestlinginformer.net/Chris_Benoit.jpg

Chris Benoit was pretty much recognized as the leader of the group, as he was the only one who was a contender for the WWF Title. He was a big reason why the group had the success it did. During this time, he had heated feuds with Chris Jericho, The Rock, and "The One" Billy Gunn. He has probably been Intercontinental Champion more than anyone else currently on the WWE roster.

http://wrestle.ru/photo/eddieguerrero/images/05.jpg

I'll admit to it now- I couldn't stand Eddie Guerrero, and i'm not sure why. Just something about him back in the day pissed me off, and I blame the mullet. Anyhow, Guerrero was a step below Benoit, his tag team partner most of the time. Eddie would steal Chyna from Chris Jericho, in a manner of speaking, as well as the European Championship. Finally, when Chyna told Eddie she was going to be in Playboy, he went absolutly apeshit and the relationship dissolved. He left the WWF for a time due to personal problems, and came back to eventually capture the WWE Title.

http://www.accelerator3359.com/Wrestling/pictures/Malenko.jpg

Dean Malenko was the lightheavyweight champion for the better part of eternity. His finishing manuever was one of my favorites: Texas Cloverleaf. He had a massive feud with the Hardyz during 2000-2001, at which time he was trying desperatly to get a date with Lita, despite being married. He finally did, but when they got to the bedroom, Lita tricked him and the Hardys RUINED HIS SHIT. He would go on to beat up Lita at several PPV's.

http://www.catchclub.com/catch/Images/PerrySaturn/19.jpg

And now, our story takes a turn for the worse. Perry Saturn got hit in the head too many times, and started to become mentally retarded. When at a restraunt, he requested a bowl of ketchup and a side of crayons( the blue ones are for fiber :nono: ). Eventually, he fell in love with a mop named "moppy". To finish this segment up, at the angles climax, Raven had stolen moppy and put her in a wood chipper, while making screaming noises as if he was moppy. But Perry Saturn would get no salvation, because the wood chipper jammed, ruining everything. He was never seen again.

Despite their dark times, the Radicals brought soemthing great to the WWF: actual wrestling. These guys came in and put on a clinic for everyone else. And hey,. two out of two guys isn't bad, right?

Feel free to post your "Radical( :lol: )" thoughts here.

Ferocious
08-02-2004, 06:12 PM
Radicalz Were as I have stated before my favourite stable of WWF History. For the reason you mentioned, Actual Wrestling ability, sure the Hart Foundation had it on the most part, But the pink and the giving away of glasses took the shine off them.

Radicalz > Any Other Stable...........Ever

Mayo
08-02-2004, 06:17 PM
I didn't see the Radicalz as much of a threat. I marked out when they first debuted, but after that, they got kind of boring. Each individual member's greatness added up was 100 times greater than the greatness of the stable.

Disturbed316
08-02-2004, 06:57 PM
Dont forget, Eddie broke his elbow in his first match in the WWF. I marked out bad when they beat the shit out of DX.

The One
08-02-2004, 07:15 PM
Fact...The Radicalz were a terrible stable. Take Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Dean Malenko, and Perry Saturn and let them do their own thing and THEN you have entertainment. The problem with the whole Radicalz being a stable, there was nothing to keep them together. Look at all the great stables and you have reasons why the stuck together...Other then the fact they all jumped from WCW to WWF at the same time, there was not a single reason to keep them together.

nWo - Take over the company

DX - A bunch of guys who just want to hang out and have fun (appeals to slackers world wide)

Horsemen - The best in the business, plus all best friends in real life.

Hart Foundation - Blood is thicker then water...

Radicalz - We just showed up together...

See what I mean. And to make it worse, they tried to shove it down our throats as if all these guys where friends at WCW...WRONG! Malenko and Benoit had some history with the Horsemen together, and yes Dean, Chris and Perry were in "The Revolution" before they came, but that stable didn't make any sense either. Bottom line I like them as singles superstars...and Dean Malenko was fucnking robbed of having a great career...damn WWF not pushing the Light Heavyweight Division :mad:

Loose Cannon
08-02-2004, 07:17 PM
Radicalz Were as I have stated before my favourite stable of WWF History. For the reason you mentioned, Actual Wrestling ability, sure the Hart Foundation had it on the most part, But the pink and the giving away of glasses took the shine off them.

Radicalz > Any Other Stable...........Ever

Hart Foundaton never gave away glasses and didn't even wear pink. They wore mostly black with pink harts and pink outlining the black.

Lara Emily
08-02-2004, 07:22 PM
Hart Foundaton never gave away glasses and didn't even wear pink. They wore mostly black with pink harts and pink outlining the black.
I'm trying to figure out if he meant Bret and Neidhart which isn't really a stable, or the later version of Bret, Owen, Neidhart, Bulldog, Pillman (I think those were the members) that is a stable and yeah they never gave away glasses.

Lara Emily
08-02-2004, 07:28 PM
Fact...The Radicalz were a terrible stable. Take Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Dean Malenko, and Perry Saturn and let them do their own thing and THEN you have entertainment. The problem with the whole Radicalz being a stable, there was nothing to keep them together. Look at all the great stables and you have reasons why the stuck together...Other then the fact they all jumped from WCW to WWF at the same time, there was not a single reason to keep them together.

nWo - Take over the company

DX - A bunch of guys who just want to hang out and have fun (appeals to slackers world wide)

Horsemen - The best in the business, plus all best friends in real life.

Hart Foundation - Blood is thicker then water...

Radicalz - We just showed up together...

See what I mean. And to make it worse, they tried to shove it down our throats as if all these guys where friends at WCW...WRONG! Malenko and Benoit had some history with the Horsemen together, and yes Dean, Chris and Perry were in "The Revolution" before they came, but that stable didn't make any sense either. Bottom line I like them as singles superstars...and Dean Malenko was fucnking robbed of having a great career...damn WWF not pushing the Light Heavyweight Division :mad:
Well Benoit, Dean and Guerrero did have history (not really on screen mind you, mind you Guerrero and Malenko had a series of hit matches in ECW that ended with a great showing of respect so that's something at least). Benoit and Malenko hwever have huge history with each other: tag champs in both WCW and ECW and tag partners off and on in Japan dating back the early/mid 90s) Saturn really didn't fit other than he was in the Revolution (why they never did Triple Threat with Douglas, Benoit, Malenko, since they as I recall had the rights to it I'll never know but c'est la vie). So it makes sense sort of. They just never pushed the stable to do anything meaningful. Not to mention they should have just come in as heels instead of being faces then turning heel like that. They made a great first appearance but it also didn't help that Eddie got hurt shortly after they all debuted. After that Benoit and Guerrero were the only two pushed worth a damn. So yeah not that great of a stable.

James Steele
08-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Talent wise they were great, but as a stable no. Dean Malenko is IMO one of the greatest EVER. At least he got in a bed with Lita in her lingerie. Then the hardy boyz fucked that up for poor dean. :'(

Lara Emily
08-02-2004, 07:35 PM
I was dissapointed they never gave Dean and Chris and a run with the Tag titles.

Boondock Saint
08-02-2004, 08:23 PM
I thought they were pretty cool. When they reformed in late 2000 and had the Radicalz (R4dicalz) against the reunited (somewhat) DX, I was pretty excited. But compared to some stables they were nothing to write home about. Talent wise they were great though.

I also wish Malenko got more of a push.

Transplant
08-03-2004, 01:34 AM
I liked their entrance vid. Especially where it would show Benoit doing the headbutt, Eddie doing the Frogsplash, and Saturn doing his elbow drop, one after the other.

Oh, and Lara, I thought it was f'n wicked when they turned on Foley when they first came. It was a better way to get them over as heels.

I would have said it went Benoit -> Malenko -> Eddie -> Saturn in way of the stable rankings, especialy when they first entered. Simply because Eddie was the laid back guy, like how Randy Orton was when Evolution first started.

LK
08-03-2004, 09:29 AM
I originally hated Eddie as well. Probably because of the fact that he beat Jericho for the Euripean title who was my favourite at the time.

Lara Emily
08-04-2004, 12:15 AM
I liked their entrance vid. Especially where it would show Benoit doing the headbutt, Eddie doing the Frogsplash, and Saturn doing his elbow drop, one after the other.

Oh, and Lara, I thought it was f'n wicked when they turned on Foley when they first came. It was a better way to get them over as heels.

I would have said it went Benoit -> Malenko -> Eddie -> Saturn in way of the stable rankings, especialy when they first entered. Simply because Eddie was the laid back guy, like how Randy Orton was when Evolution first started.
Fair enough. BTW :rofl: @ you negatively repping me for my long post on the Radicalz.

diamondcutter
08-04-2004, 11:56 PM
In hindsight, Perry and Dean should've merely wished their friends well and stayed in WCW.

I liked the shock factor of their debut. I remember switching from Nitro to RAW and seeing them jump the railing to attack members of DX. Then later in the night, beating the crap outta Triple H.

To me, The Revolution stable made more sense than The Radicalz stable. The Revolution had a purpose: Rebelling against the veterans in WCW.

Batsu
08-05-2004, 05:11 AM
I liked the group, but they really didn't do anything as a unit.

When they attacked DX, that was great.

It amazes me how Eddie Guerrero went from being the X-Pac of that group to a WWE champ, though... I mean, Eddie was at that "X-Pac" level for the longest time until that run on SmackDown...