PDA

View Full Version : Official Doom 3 reviews, etc thread....

AareDub
08-03-2004, 12:05 AM
Well I was semi-excited for Doom 3, and after about a half hour playing it.... I'm bored. I'm on the third or fourth level I think, and I'm already losing the will to play. I guess I'm not one for confined factory settings with no map, where all you do is run and shoot.

It bothers me so much how easily I get lost in that place. They all talk to you and give you directions like you've lived there for years. Maybe I'm being a little picky, but it doesn't make sense to me why after all the craziness begins you are given a higher clearnace level, but still not full clearance. I swear, they gave me clearance so I could complete another objective, then when I got there I already needed another clearnace. I bet commander general whatever his name is would feel pretty stupid if he knew that I was running from a monster and the reason I got killed was because I reached a door that I didn't have access to.

The graphics are quite nice, of course, but after a bit it all starts to look the same. At this point I'd kill for some battles out on the surface, or maybe even some vehicles.

Anybody else playing this yet? What do you think?

http://members.optusnet.com.au/jamessibley/random/doom3.jpg

Buzzkill
08-03-2004, 12:20 AM
How do you have it already, it comes out the 3rd. BitTorrent?

Anyways, it seems fun.

AareDub
08-03-2004, 12:31 AM
A lot stores around here started selling them as soon as their shipments arrived over the weekend.

Boomer
08-03-2004, 12:49 AM
Way to prep us all for the game. I pre-ordered it today and am picking it up tomorrow.

And I love how this topic is "official"

AareDub
08-03-2004, 12:56 AM
Way to prep us all for the game. I pre-ordered it today and am picking it up tomorrow.

And I love how this topic is "official"

Everybody else has official threads, I figured I'd give it a shot too. Let us know what you think of it tomorrow :p

KleptoKlown
08-03-2004, 02:02 AM
still downloading it

gonna like it though. Although Farcry is gonna be hard to beat.

Buzzkill
08-03-2004, 02:26 AM
Farcry was great

Jonster
08-03-2004, 04:49 AM
To be honest, I haven't been looking forward to Doom 3 all that much.

Doubt I'll go and buy it.

Requiem
08-03-2004, 05:35 AM
To be honest, I haven't been looking forward to Doom 3 all that much.

Doubt I'll go and buy it.

Bad Company
08-03-2004, 07:08 AM
Farcry was ultra crap!
Doom III is gonna rule
Get my copy tomorrow :cool:

Ogen
08-03-2004, 01:18 PM
1.7% 3 days to go though :(

Buzzkill
08-03-2004, 02:01 PM
I'm looking forward to HL2 much more than Doom3. Hopefully when I'm 60 and it comes out I'll still be interested in video games.

dan26
08-03-2004, 04:12 PM
yeah would a map have been so hard id?
can some one help me i am looking for the Alpha elvator i get to a door that only 2 people have clearnace to and i found 3 pc i can shut down

AareDub
08-03-2004, 05:45 PM
{lepto]{lown']still downloading it

gonna like it though. Although Farcry is gonna be hard to beat.

Don't expect it to beat Far Cry. I'll admit Doom is getting a little more fun the farther I get into it, but it's still not even close to Far Cry.

AareDub
08-03-2004, 05:49 PM
yeah would a map have been so hard id?
can some one help me i am looking for the Alpha elvator i get to a door that only 2 people have clearnace to and i found 3 pc i can shut down

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are at the door that requires clearance for somebody named Lipzits or something that like that (there are 2 names, but Lipzits is the one you find)? If that's where you are you need to backtrack a few rooms and look for a ladder or a staircase. The pda is in a room directly above you, you'll find a human scientist up there and a dead body laying by a hole in the floor. Grab his pda and drop through the hole right in front of the door you're trying to get access to.

Bricktop
08-03-2004, 08:49 PM
Just got it today. I had some crashing problems at first. This required a reinstallation of direct X and ATI drivers (I am running it on a Dell 2.66GHz ATI 9800, with 512 ram).

When I finally got it running, I thought that the cut scenes were very nice. As for the game, so far it's pretty fun. It's very dark and chaotic. The game is not a total re-invention of the FPS genre, but it is a huge graphics leap forward. The levels are tight, but huge and confusing, which is good, because I hate easy games. The models and lighting all seem pretty sleek.

I am not far in the game, but I enjoyed the part where all hell broke loose immensely. It had a real sense of chaos to it with my sound system turned up. I am looking forward to trying the multiplayer on my Dorm's T3 line, once my studying is finished in a few days.

AareDub
08-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Just got it today. I had some crashing problems at first. This required a reinstallation of direct X and ATI drivers (I am running it on a Dell 2.66GHz ATI 9800, with 512 ram).

Yea, I had some crashing problems at first too. Had to update the drivers for the 9800 Pro.

Bricktop
08-04-2004, 01:36 AM
Multiplayer is pretty sweet. If anyone has a fast connection, let me know and I will make a server.

dan26
08-04-2004, 02:01 AM
If I'm understanding you correctly, you are at the door that requires clearance for somebody named Lipzits or something that like that (there are 2 names, but Lipzits is the one you find)? If that's where you are you need to backtrack a few rooms and look for a ladder or a staircase. The pda is in a room directly above you, you'll find a human scientist up there and a dead body laying by a hole in the floor. Grab his pda and drop through the hole right in front of the door you're trying to get access to.
thanks that was the door

CYCLOPTERSAURUS
08-04-2004, 06:31 AM
I got it on the 2nd, and it's awesome. I'm part-way through (past the alpha levels and the one after it).

However, my 1.4GHz athalon, with 384MB RAM, and GeForce 3 64-bit is having a hell of a time running it, even at 640x480. I think it's time for a new computer/monster upgrade.

AareDub
08-04-2004, 09:02 AM
It's getting better the closer I get to hell. I'm not sure how much of the game I've completed, but I'm starting to think I'm pretty close to the hell levels.

Boomer
08-04-2004, 10:10 AM
This game is amazing. I'm not a big fan of Far Cry (too easy to die), but I think Doom 3 edges Far Cry with graphic quality. Story wise, Doom 3 is WAY more developed. I've spent a ton of time listening through the audio files you pick up and so far everything seems to flow really well. And yes, I logged onto a multiplayer game just to see how it ran, and it ran pretty good. Just wait till I get the REAL 64-bit Windows with ALL (and I mean ALL) the drivers and it'll all run even better.

KleptoKlown
08-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Im really liking this game, the one thing that <i>REALLY</i> bugs me about this game is that when you get shot, you lose sight of your target and it moves your crosshair around, then when you recover from it...they shoot you again.

Anyway, if you have lots of system ram (512+ id say) take a look at this link. I have 1 gig of system ram, and set doom to use 256, and its some much faster, and im getting a lot higher fps.

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=5733&tid=1438663

also, a different forum has a discussion about this fix here...http://boards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=64245457&replies=56&ui=cb_post_02

#BROKEN Hasney
08-04-2004, 01:24 PM
Theres a great speed up trick I found over here:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=12608&topic=15503352&page=1

Xen0ciDe
08-05-2004, 02:25 AM
Man this game is scary though! Or maybe its just me :D

Eternalone79
08-05-2004, 12:19 PM
I have a laptop and can anyone tell me if the intel chipset can play it? Or should I wait until I build my new computer in about a year?

KleptoKlown
08-05-2004, 12:38 PM
intel...what

like a p4 2.6ghz
or maybe a celeron 300mhz

need system specs.

Eternalone79
08-05-2004, 12:55 PM
p4 2.4 512 ram Intel 82845g
I know I can't play a few games I want with this mainly Rainbow 6 3...so I don't wanna waste money on this also

Bricktop
08-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Some mods of the game are starting to appear. Gamespot has a mod that allows bodies to remain after killed. This is pretty cool, since the whole disappearing bodies in the game is a pretty lame idea. Leave it to the fans to know how things should be done. Doom 3 mod (http://dlx.gamespot.com/pc/doom3/moreinfo_6104134.html)

xey
08-05-2004, 01:47 PM
I'm not impressed with Doom 3 all that much. At this point in time, I feel like it was money wasted. I liked the other Dooms just fine, but it seems like everyone's been overhyping something that is mediocre at best.

Farcry/Halflife > Doom

AareDub
08-05-2004, 03:27 PM
p4 2.4 512 ram Intel 82845g
I know I can't play a few games I want with this mainly Rainbow 6 3...so I don't wanna waste money on this also

The processor and ram are good enough, but I doubt you have a good enough video card in your laptop.

Eternalone79
08-05-2004, 06:37 PM
The processor and ram are good enough, but I doubt you have a good enough video card in your laptop.

Thanks...guess I will be waiting

dan26
08-06-2004, 05:12 PM
How far has every one made it in doom? I just got to the hell level so I must be about half way.

DS
08-06-2004, 05:22 PM
It's nice looking, no doubt about that, but I'm not feeling it. The game is fun at first but just get's pretty predictive. I know when things are going to jump out behind me and it doesn't really get me anymore. Looks good in ultra settings but I'd have to say that other then that it's pretty linear. Some mods and fixes and it could be good but other then that I'd probably have to say it was not worth the years of wait. :(

AareDub
08-06-2004, 07:11 PM
How far has every one made it in doom? I just got to the hell level so I must be about half way.

I just finished the hell level yesterday. Haven't played on much further though. From what I hear we are just about finished, you take a little trip though the rest of the Delta lab, then head towards Martian ruins, and that's about it.

Favre4Ever
08-07-2004, 02:04 AM
This game has been pretty crazy so far. I made the mistake of playing it last night while shrooming my ass off, and it scared the hell out of me. Whats really getting to me right now is the fact that I have to carry my flashlight seperatly from my weapon. Thats a pretty stupid idea. "Oh, I can't carry them at the same time, but who cares? Its not like I have an army of demons on my tail. Oh, wait....."

But other than that, its meeting my expectations so far.

dan26
08-07-2004, 02:20 AM
This game has been pretty crazy so far. I made the mistake of playing it last night while shrooming my ass off, and it scared the hell out of me. Whats really getting to me right now is the fact that I have to carry my flashlight seperatly from my weapon. Thats a pretty stupid idea. "Oh, I can't carry them at the same time, but who cares? Its not like I have an army of demons on my tail. Oh, wait....."

But other than that, its meeting my expectations so far.

http://dlx.gamespot.com/pc/doom3/moreinfo_6104168.html
This Doom 3 mod adds a flashlight to the pistol in the game. No more switching items to see where you are going or what is in front of you.

http://dlx.gamespot.com/pc/doom3/moreinfo_6104333.html
Putting into effect the notion that there's duct tape somewhere in the UAC Mars facility, this mod attaches a flashlight to your machine gun.

TheNamelessOne
08-07-2004, 07:36 AM
From what I have been hearing, Doom 3 takes a lot of elements from System Shock 2, which also explains why a Doom 3 mod inspired by it has begun development.

#BROKEN Hasney
08-07-2004, 01:58 PM
Decent mod here already:

http://ducttape.glenmurphy.com/

dan26
08-08-2004, 03:48 AM
I just found the id pda at the end of the game I didn’t use a guide or any thing to find it I just saw a wall with id on it and clicked it and it opened a new room with a pda from the staff of doom 3

dan26
08-08-2004, 03:58 AM
ok i just beat doom 3
it was ok could have been better but still good

Hired Hitman
08-08-2004, 07:32 AM
I haven't got it, but like all games the real reason anyone plays is for the muliplayer :D

Hired Hitman
08-08-2004, 07:33 AM
what was the ending? ... what? like you people don't want things spoiled :roll:

... better not tell :$... Pm me if you want :y:

AareDub
08-08-2004, 12:12 PM
I haven't got it, but like all games the real reason anyone plays is for the muliplayer :D

From what I'm hearing the multiplayer sucks horribly for this one. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm gonna try to be involved in the big Doom 3 tournament at QuakeCon next weekend.

road doggy dogg
08-08-2004, 04:34 PM
Yeah apparently the multiplayer isn't that great for it. Then again, Doom was always known more for its single-player experience anyways.

I'm still really looking forward to getting this. Shame my PC's so outdated now. The game looks awesome.. doesn't look like it relaly brings anything "new" to the table, but it's Doom f'n 3.

Bricktop
08-08-2004, 11:22 PM
From what I'm hearing the multiplayer sucks horribly for this one. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm gonna try to be involved in the big Doom 3 tournament at QuakeCon next weekend.

The Deathmatch is fun, if you can find a good server and that is a big if. I spend more time looking for a good server, then playing. Most servers fill up lightning quick, or have passwords. It kinda sucks. As for lag in the game, the system is pretty good compared to a few others, but when there is lag, forget about it, you might as well leave the server.

KleptoKlown
08-09-2004, 03:36 AM
the ending cut scene to end the story was seriously shorter than the BFG intro video clip :|

House of Pancakes
08-11-2004, 08:31 PM
I'm digging this game a lot. The atmosphere is incredible. You really feel like hell is breaking loose, and you're afraid to go into the next room sometimes. I'm not very far, but it's as good as I expected it to be, and I'd been waiting for Doom 3 since they announced it.