PDA

View Full Version : From Lara's Vast Archives: Spot or Event of the Week, WEEK #4

Lara Emily
08-05-2004, 10:40 AM
Hello once again. Sorry for the big delay between Week 3 and now I just never got around to doing it but here I am once again with a new Event of the week for you all.

This week we go back to 1998, the date December 29th (The air date Jan 4th 1999), the location: Worcester, MA. It was such an important event that even rival Bischoff felt the need to mention it on his WCW Nitro Show. That's right it was the night Mick Foley won the World Wrestling Federation championship. I'm pretty sure you all know the storyline. Coming off the huge Rock heel turn at Survivor 98 and their battle Rock Bottom which saw Mick Foley being robbed of the title due to a technicality (Rock passed out, he did not submit thus McMahon ruled that Rock retained). Also during this period we saw mick Foley become aligned with those loveable Degenerates. So we go to the match Mankind accompanied to the ring by DX vs The Rock accompanied by The entire Corporation including Vince and Shane. Jerry Lawler and Micheal Cole are your commentators. We go now to the end of Rock vs Mankind for the WWF Title on Raw.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/larissaemily/Foleysbignight.mpg (right click save as)

Loose Cannon
08-05-2004, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I saw this the other day. Awesome moment. One of the Greatest pops I have ever heard on Raw when Austin's music hit.

LK
08-05-2004, 11:46 AM
One of the best moments of wrestling for me

Savio
08-05-2004, 12:18 PM
Huge ass pop.
--------
Do you have the Vince/Hogan lie detector test?

Xero
08-05-2004, 12:36 PM
That would be great! :lol:

Yeah, I remember that when I first saw it... I also have it on the Mick Foley DVD... Great moment... Austin ALWAYS seemed to get the biggest pops...

V
08-05-2004, 01:53 PM
whoah look at the pop from austin, holy shit

damn the crowd was into wrestling a hell of a lot more than they are now, i mean billy gun attacking shamrock got a bigger pop than some of the main eventers entrances these days

Disturbed316
08-05-2004, 02:34 PM
Only thing I didn't like about the win is how Austin pretty much won it for Foley :-\

but still an awesome night.

Rob
08-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Thing is, the pops were all like that back then. Maybe not as big but still pretty massive. Just goes to show really.

Corkscrewed
08-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Wow, that WAS a huge pop! Everyone went crazy!

Nice spot, Lara! :y:

ColdwaVer
08-05-2004, 03:57 PM
Great video, got a couple of questions on it tho.

- Was this supposed to be a lumberjack match or something? With DX and the Corporation out there that's pretty much what it was. Did they all come out at the beginning or did they show up during the match?
-Why was the Rock in street clothes?
-Whose side was Kane on? He seemed to be standing near Vince, but I don't remember him being part of the Corporation (though my memory of that time is pretty hazy.)
-Does anyone have the whole match available? I'd love to see the rest of it.
-Why was Shane in a ref shirt?

Disturbed316
08-05-2004, 04:21 PM

- Was this supposed to be a lumberjack match or something? With DX and the Corporation out there that's pretty much what it was. Did they all come out at the beginning or did they show up during the match?
-Whose side was Kane on? He seemed to be standing near Vince, but I don't remember him being part of the Corporation (though my memory of that time is pretty hazy.)

1- I think that DX came out to 'even the numbers' seeing as Rock had the Corporation on his side. Mankind and DX had been getting on ok during the recent weeks

2- It was just his attire he wore at the time

3- Corporation. Kane joined them for awhile (I think)

4- Check the media topic

5- I think he was going to be ref or something and Linda over turned it (Cant really remember)

Splaya
08-05-2004, 04:30 PM
That Austin pop sent chills down my spine.

Heyman
08-05-2004, 04:40 PM

Yeah no doubt.

Holy sh</>it. :eek:

I think this should prove beyond all doubts that as popular as The Rock was during his prime (2000), it simply does not compare to that of Austin's.

Dave Youell
08-05-2004, 04:50 PM
I dont need to download it, i already have it.

But by far one my fav moments in wrestling

Batsu
08-05-2004, 09:20 PM
That Rock wrestling attire is my all time favorite in all wrestling.

It spoke volumes to how much of an ass The Rock was...to actually wrestle in training clothes.

Xero
08-05-2004, 09:31 PM
Me too!

Lara Emily
08-06-2004, 12:13 AM

If you have AIM I`ll send it to you.

Savio
08-06-2004, 12:18 AM
Mick foley got him in a submission move after a Triple h vs ? match with shane as the ref.....Vince came down and said he'd let mankind have a title shot if he let shane go.

Savio
08-06-2004, 12:19 AM
Do you have the Vince/Hogan lie detector test?

Lara Emily
08-06-2004, 12:48 AM
No I don't.

Aussie Skier
08-06-2004, 01:53 AM
Thing is, the pops were all like that back then. Maybe not as big but still pretty massive. Just goes to show really.

thats because wrestling fans were younge and more naive, which is a good thing.

I get so shitty with how ppl dont cheer and that anymore, instead they say crap like "thats good that he won, he deserves a push". All the mystic from wrestling is lost now.

People who talk like they are actually "in" the wrestling scene really piss me off