PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for WWF to start giving away free tickets too?

The One
08-06-2004, 04:07 PM
WCW's last Pay Per View GREED was attented by 5,030 people...WWE's most recent Pay Per View Great American Bash was attented by 6,500 people...quite a large down fall from even a few years ago when selling out a 40,000 seat arena took 2 hours.

But don't worry Vince, you can always blame no one wanted to pay $60 for a ticket on the internet... :roll:

CSL
08-06-2004, 04:18 PM
<font color=white>Yeah, but what was the attendance for the last Starrcade and what was the attendance for the last WrestleMania? With the right promotion, cutting down on the number of Pay Per View per year and good booking, WWE would still sell out arenas in hours</font>

Xero
08-06-2004, 04:40 PM
WrestleMania I believe had in the 20,000 range... Tickets supposibly went out in four minuites... (Partly because of presales)

Herb Masta
08-06-2004, 04:53 PM
WWE should give the bonerking some free tickets yea

The One
08-06-2004, 04:59 PM
I am sure if Ron Jeremy wanted to get free tickets he could... :shifty:

Savio
08-06-2004, 05:06 PM
WWE's most recent Pay Per View Great American Bash
Is that right? Hmmmmm.

Volchok
08-06-2004, 07:04 PM
wasnt the most recent Vengeance? but hey i could be wrong...?

Mr. JL
08-06-2004, 07:09 PM
either way.. I didn't see either of them

Rob
08-06-2004, 07:23 PM
They do give away free tickets.

Kane Knight
08-06-2004, 07:36 PM
Yeah, but what was the attendance for the last Starrcade and what was the attendance for the last WrestleMania? With the right promotion, cutting down on the number of Pay Per View per year and good booking, WWE would still sell out arenas in hours
That's a problem in and of itself. Too few good angles/storylines, too many PPVs, too much bad booking.

That equals too little interest.

If they did A, B, and C, they'd start to draw people back. but that amounts to almost a total overhaul of the way they're doing business. That's a beauricratic improbability, if not an impossibility. While not QUITE as impossible, you might as well say, "if WCW came back from the dead..."

The CyNick
08-06-2004, 08:14 PM
Yeah they always give away at least some tickets.

You really only have to start giving away tix when you cant fill up the stands on the side opposite the hard cameras. Thats when WCW knew they were dead because they couldn't even get those seats filled for PPVs. WWE isn't in that territory yet.

Kane Knight
08-06-2004, 10:24 PM

You really only have to start giving away tix when you cant fill up the stands on the side opposite the hard cameras. Thats when WCW knew they were dead because they couldn't even get those seats filled for PPVs. WWE isn't in that territory yet.
Yeah, but I'm wagering a hugepart of that has to do with being the only (really big) game in town. I have a feeling that, even if there was only a marginally good competitor out there, the WWE would be in the danger zone right about now...

Though if they had competition, I doubt they'd just sit their while their business went to shit.

Or maybe I'm wrong. :D

Goldbird
08-07-2004, 06:15 AM
the tickets to who?

the old folks home?

the schools?

Rob
08-07-2004, 06:36 AM

I thought it was a sign of popularity when the people come to shows dressed as chairs.

KayfabeMan
08-07-2004, 06:53 AM
The other problem is, they know that they're selling 3,000 seats in some towns, but they still continue to rent buildings that hold 20,000 people (this is mainly a case with house shows).

If they'd run at other extremely suitable locations within/surrounding these cities, they could save extra money, and pack the smaller buildings - making the atmosphere there very exciting (smaller venue, packed place, etc..).

A lot of these same smaller places are where WWF used to run on it's "way up" (early 1990's, late 1980's) to running the bigger buildings / venues (from 1995 on), so it's not like the buildings aren't suitable.

That is just my opinion though....

The CyNick
08-07-2004, 02:04 PM
I thought it was a sign of popularity when the people come to shows dressed as chairs.

Or as Black curtains.

The CyNick
08-07-2004, 02:06 PM
The other problem is, they know that they're selling 3,000 seats in some towns, but they still continue to rent buildings that hold 20,000 people (this is mainly a case with house shows).

If they'd run at other extremely suitable locations within/surrounding these cities, they could save extra money, and pack the smaller buildings - making the atmosphere there very exciting (smaller venue, packed place, etc..).

A lot of these same smaller places are where WWF used to run on it's "way up" (early 1990's, late 1980's) to running the bigger buildings / venues (from 1995 on), so it's not like the buildings aren't suitable.

Eventually they'll do that. They've already started on some of the house shows. SD especially has been booked in a number of 3,000 seat arenas.

For TV they probably wouldn't want to do that because you'd hope there is a chance of doing 8,000 tickets for any given taping.

But yeah, if business keeps going south, they'll be hitting some of those smaller arenas.

The CyNick
08-07-2004, 02:08 PM
Yeah, but I'm wagering a hugepart of that has to do with being the only (really big) game in town. I have a feeling that, even if there was only a marginally good competitor out there, the WWE would be in the danger zone right about now...

Though if they had competition, I doubt they'd just sit their while their business went to shit.

Or maybe I'm wrong. :D

I think a strong competitor would initially hurt the WWE, but overall it would benefit them because they would create new wrestling fans and as long as the WWE put out a good product people would still pay attention to it.

Problem is there isn't anyone on the horizon who looks like they want/can coimpete with the WWE.

Kane Knight
08-07-2004, 02:26 PM
They're just trying to get in character.

Kane Knight
08-07-2004, 02:28 PM

Indeed. But what was said later is also true. They've even done a few house shows in Vermont, in venues that even the House shwos wouldn't touch just a couple years ago.

Kane Knight
08-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Eventually they'll do that. They've already started on some of the house shows. SD especially has been booked in a number of 3,000 seat arenas.

For TV they probably wouldn't want to do that because you'd hope there is a chance of doing 8,000 tickets for any given taping.

But yeah, if business keeps going south, they'll be hitting some of those smaller arenas.
I don't know. You have to weigh the hopes of getting 8,000 versus the reality. They're not quit at the point of WCW, but they do have some pretty big openings in some of their shows.

Kane Knight
08-07-2004, 02:31 PM
I think a strong competitor would initially hurt the WWE, but overall it would benefit them because they would create new wrestling fans and as long as the WWE put out a good product people would still pay attention to it.

Problem is there isn't anyone on the horizon who looks like they want/can coimpete with the WWE.
It is kind of a catch 22. If they had a competitor, it might bury them at this point, but if they had a competitor, they probably wouldn't even BE at this point.

YOUR Hero
08-07-2004, 06:01 PM
There was only @ 1,000 people at the last Vancouver house show. LOL.