PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Stories of '04 So Far

RGWhat316
08-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Apologizes if this has been done before. But the second half of the year is well underway, so I wonder what everyone thinks have been the top 5 stories of the year. They can be good or bad, but anything that made headlines in the WWE. So in no particular order:

Eddie Guerrero Winning The WWE Title
This guy wasn't even in the WWE two years ago, and like Stone Cold, the problems he had, was thought to never be back in the WWE. But he was welcomed back, worked his way back up, given a new gimmick, gets over with the fans, and wins the WWE title from Brock Lesnar this past February.

Sudden Departure of Brock Lesnar
Brock Lesnar entered the WWF in 2002, and was pushed to the moon. He beat all the top guys at the time, Angle, Rock, Undertaker, Hogan, and has been a multiple time champion. Then in two years, he decides he's done all he can do and quits suddenly to join the NFL. All the talk going into WM was that Goldberg was leaving, then all of a sudden Brock announces he's leaving. The crowd at MSG realized this and gave him a nice little goodbye chant.

The Emergence of Eugene
Alot of people cricized the WWE for creating a mentally challenged wrestler. But as the weeks wore on, he became more and more entertaining. Thus he has won over a huge fanbase. Eugene is even staring to become more of a force to reckon with as he has challenged and even beaten some WWE stars.

WrestleMania XX
It lived up to all the hype it was given. It had it's high spots with a new World's Champion being crowned in Chris Benoit. Eddie Guerrero retaining his title over Kurt Angle. John Cena becoming the new US Champion. And Trish Stratus with an unexpected heel turn. WM did have its lows such as the Brock Lesnar/Bill Goldberg match, and Ultimo Dragon falling twice on his way to the ring.

JBL's salute in Germany
As a heel, you want to make the fans really hate you. Now JBL crossed the line when he gave a Nazi salute in Germany, which is a federal offense in that country. He lost his job as an analyst on CNBC, but returning to the U.S. in WWE, he was rewarded by winning the WWE Title at the Great American Bash.

Well, here are my top 5 stories of the year. Feel free to add anything I might have missed.

Herb Masta
08-06-2004, 05:12 PM
feinsten raping children

Herb Masta
08-06-2004, 05:12 PM
the release of sakoda

KingofOldSchool
08-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Ultimo Dragon falling twice on his way to the ring.

:lol:

That makes me laugh every time.

LK
08-06-2004, 05:46 PM
Randy Orton's rise to the top. And also the Deadman's return which you didn't mention in WM 20.

mrslackalack
08-06-2004, 11:52 PM
1.Benoit, Eddie finally Become champs
2. NWA TNA gets a national TV Deal
3. Lesnar leaves WWE
4. WWE 24/7
5. Hall of Fame returns

Funky Fly
08-06-2004, 11:54 PM
:lol:

That makes me laugh every time.
:(

HHHsucks929
08-07-2004, 12:02 AM
I think the first post nailed the top five stories, except for one difference. If you choose not to include both Benoit and Guerrero as great championship stories together, then Benoit should be the lone candidate. His victory was clearly the bigger one, as he actually beat Triple H, with a submission hold, and they gave him the win in the main event of Wrestlemania XX.

However I think THE biggest story of the eyar so far is easily Brock's departure. He was the future of the company, and they invested a ton into him, but he simply walked away... For the NFL. This story is easily the biggest because it's being covered by ESPN and other sports networks as well as WWE. Most analyists think it's a joke and a publicity stunt.

Tiken
08-07-2004, 12:03 AM
1. Arrival of Eugene
2. Return of the Undertaker
3. Ric Flair/Bret Hart verbal cluster fuck
4. Randy Ortons boost to the top
5. Benoit's title win and reign

Chuck Jones
08-07-2004, 12:24 PM
1.Lesnar leaves WWE
2.Nazi salute in Germany. (like the character of JBL, but he crossed the line then.)
3.Return of the Deadman. (I like his new look.)
4.Eugene
5.Benoit making HHH tap. (best moment of the year so far.)

The One
08-07-2004, 01:01 PM
5 Eugene
Must admit I hated him at first, but as it turned out, WWE is really handling this "special" gimmick very well. Plus if nother else it got Mr. Regal back in the spotlight, so that is certainly a plus. He is now one of the top drawing wrestlers in the world right now...so take that Brock Lesnar! We don't need you anymore (more on that later).

4 Ric Flair's Book
WWE had HUGE hype about this book. It seems as though every wrestler has at least something to say about it. Of course most noticably has been Bret Hart, and Hart and Flair continue to go back and forth on talk show...either way, be you a mark or a smart, this has been a big deal to everyone.

3 Chris Benoit winning the World Heavyweight Title....and keeping it
I threw in that last part because technically he has won that very title before in WCW against Sid, he just never got to keep it...nor did he get to keep it the two times he was announced WWF Champion only to have decissions reversed...hmmm... Anyway, big emotional moment, he made Triple H tap out to the Crossface, it was at WrestleMania XX, everything happened like a dream...

2 Bradshaw
I won't even limit it to the germany antics...but this is a huge deal. Here is a mildly talented micarder, now shoved down our throats and pushed to the moon as the biggest heel ass ever. He had every mark hating him, and after Germany he had every SMart hating him...truly X-Pac could take some lessons from him. If you think that at Janurary 1, 2004, Bradshaw was still just an APA guy, and not even the talented one of the two...and now he is WWE Champion...

1 Brock Lesnar leaves WWE...
Without a doubt pure shock for everyone who had seen his monsterious rise to the top...thought if you all recall it was a one Nick who said he didn't see Lesnar being a legend by the end...I knew he wouldn't last...but either way it is a HUGE deal to see WWE's #1 walk out in 2 years.

TheNamelessOne
08-07-2004, 01:34 PM
1: Eugenes rise to the top.
2: Bradshaws Nazi Salute.
3: Rob Feinstein poking children.
4: Blandy Ortons push. Tedium over entertainment its the WWEs new motto it seems.
Here is a mildly talented micarder, now shoved down our throats and pushed to the moon as the biggest heel ass ever.
Works for Randy a lot better.
5: Undertakers return.

RGWhat316
08-07-2004, 04:21 PM
I see most here have agreed with my choices. I screwed up and for some reason completely missed Taker at WM. I dunno why that slipped my mind at that time. I decided not to number them since I could only decide that Lesnar's leave was #1.

Orton I didn't put on the list because his rise began in 2003. As most of the legends he killed off were in 2003, and I was mainly sticking to 2004.

I should've put Eddie and Benoit together. But I picked Eddie because Benoit has had a couple title shots before, while Eddie has never been in the main event. And being where Eddie was, if you saw his TV special, completely down and out, to probably to never return to the WWE. He came back, got a new gimmick and created a huge fanbase before finally getting the title at No Way Out over Lesnar.

But Benoit has had a huge 2004. He was #1 in the Royal Rumble, went all the way and won it. Then he went on to the biggest show and won the title from HHH.