PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding PS2 console

JeRz
12-29-2003, 02:02 AM
Ok, I just got Need for Speed Underground and Madden 2004. Both games loaded ok when I first got them but now they won't load. My PS2 loads Smackdown perfect. Now, for some reason, it's not loading these two games and I'm really getting frustrated. It also won't load the Sims either.

The games load fine on my friend's PS2 so it can't be the games and as I said, they loaded ok the other day. But, even when I first got them, it took 2 or 3 attempts at restarting the PS2 for it to recognize the disc.

Has this ever happened to anybody?

el fregadero
12-29-2003, 02:09 AM
<font color=teal>Probably bad discs. Happened to me, I exchanged them.</font>

LoDownM
12-29-2003, 02:42 AM
Your PS2 is dieing :(

Penner
12-29-2003, 03:03 AM
maybe clean your ps2 lens :?:

JeRz
12-29-2003, 01:17 PM

I was thinking that too. I'm going to try compressed air and see if that does anything or as Penner said, try cleaning the lens. Weird how it should die already since I've barely used it since I've had it. :(

Kane Knight
12-29-2003, 01:25 PM
I was thinking that too. I'm going to try compressed air and see if that does anything or as Penner said, try cleaning the lens. Weird how it should die already since I've barely used it since I've had it. :(

Could be just a defective model. You know, if it's not the discs or the lens being dirty.

I guess my question is: How long have you actually owned the machine?

thebitch
12-29-2003, 01:26 PM
Try exchanging the disks. If that doesn't work, then check to see if you still have warranty (spelling?!) on your PS2. If so, send it to the repair place and have them fix it.

DS
12-29-2003, 03:10 PM
Do you get the "Disk read error" when you try to load it?

By the sounds of it, it's not the disks. The chances of getting 3 defective disks is very rare. You need to clean your lens. I suggest getting a CD Lens cleaner. Pelican makes a good cleaner and cheap. You could also, I suggest this as a 2nd option unless you want to send it to Sony along with a wad of cash, take your PS2 apart (NOTE: this will end your warranty) and clean the lens with a cotton swab and alcohol.

That should fix it for you.

MrMeJW
12-29-2003, 03:20 PM
I just took my system apart and cleaned it. You have to be very careful but its not that complex.

HeartBreakMan2k
12-29-2003, 03:27 PM
Disk read errors are becoming extremely common. Almost 40 percent of old PS2s are starting to do it. I called Sony and they'll fix it for you for free, you just pay shipping and handling.

Ninti the Mad
12-29-2003, 05:05 PM

It's true.

I remember when my PSX died. 6 years of service and it died while I was replaying FF7.

What a good way to go though. :'(

JeRz
12-29-2003, 07:34 PM
I've had the PS2 for about 2 years I guess. Rarely ever played it either.

But, I'll try a few things and see how it goes. Thanks to everyone for their input :y:

G
12-29-2003, 09:40 PM
http://http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/ps2_disc_read_error_a.txt

Here's a few options you can try to fix the problem. :y:

The Diva
12-30-2003, 04:15 AM
This exact thing happened to me a few months ago, it's the PS2. I had been playing a PS One game for about a week and then tried to play Dark Cloud 2 and didn't work, The Sims did and some others wouldn't work. Anyway, cleaned it and it worked, but since then I've had to clean it 2 other times and sometimes it still takes awhile for some to load. Morale of the story: PS2 is a bitch :-\

Purgatory
12-30-2003, 09:16 AM
Disk read errors are becoming extremely common. Almost 40 percent of old PS2s are starting to do it. I called Sony and they'll fix it for you for free, you just pay shipping and handling.

Yup, common problem on most of the first PS2 models released. In fact, our local EB Gamer had a huge sale on used PS2 consoles just to clean out inventory.....until they realized that the 'Disk read Error' thing was why people were trading them in in the first place. Apparently, they raised a huge stink with Sony over this problem....This is what they get for the whole 'Ooh, let's be the first to release our Next Gen system and worry about bugs and such later' attitude. Jackasses :roll:

JeRz
12-31-2003, 03:24 PM
Does anyone know off hand when the second models were released? The ones that may have actually had that problem fixed? Like I said, got mine around Dec. 2001. So, would that mean I've got one of the shitty first models? :(

Disturbed316
12-31-2003, 03:26 PM
It's true.

I remember when my PSX died. 6 years of service and it died while I was replaying FF7.

What a good way to go though. :'(

:'(

My PSX is still alive and kicking :cool:

YOUR Hero
01-01-2004, 04:39 PM
My PSX is still alive and kicking :cool:

:yes: