PDA

View Full Version : Let's Clear This Up: Benoit On The Mic

Batsu
08-16-2004, 03:46 AM
Before you all come pointing fingers, yes, I am a Benoit mark.
But it took me a while to appreciate Benoit before I got to that stage, and I understand one of his weaknesses is his mic work.

Though, while in most cases Benoit isn't so stellar a talker (he's not The Rock, Kurt Angle, or Jericho), there is one case where it's absolutely entertaining to hear Benoit on the mic -- when he's really angry.

In ECW and most of WCW he sounded really amateurish (but I'll tell you this, to this day, Benoit is better than Brock Lesnar ever was on the mic)...except when he was angry.

On that Chris Benoit DVD, WWE chose specific points to highlight Benoit on the mic -- mostly in his feud with Kevin Sullivan.

Then, and points such as his loss at Backlash 2000 to Chris Jericho where he gave a riveting speech pointed at HHH and the McMahon-Helmsley faction, his reaction to Commisioner Foley's reversal of his title win following Fully Loaded 2000... and most recently (part of) his brief words to Evolution members HHH and Randy Orton shows that Benoit's microphone goldmine is when he's angry.

I think when he's portraying the angry man, Benoit loses some of the "nerves" that mess up whatever he tries to say on the microphone otherwise.

An exception to this rule would be the few instances when Benoit says something uncharacteristically silly (i.e. the stuff he said in his alliance with John Cena on SmackDown).

Benoit isn't a great mic worker (he could learn a few things from Bret Hart moreso than Rock, Cena, and Jericho)...but he doesn't suck.

Any one else agree? Disagree?

Fox
08-16-2004, 03:50 AM
I agree, but at the same time, that can be said for anyone. Everyone speaks better when they're charged up and have that adrenaline pumping, and that goes for wrestling and real life. When you're angry, the words just flow from emotion and you get the best message across.

But I do see your point. When Benoit is calm and trying to give a promo he's awkward and very slow. But so what?

FourFifty
08-16-2004, 03:52 AM
I'll tell you this, to this day, Benoit is better than Brock Lesnar ever was on the mic

That's not saying much...

Batsu
08-16-2004, 03:53 AM
I think the problem is they try to make Benoit be The Rock...or at least one of the more "flashy" speakers. Instead, he should be more like a fusion of Bret and Austin. He leans toward the angered Austin anyway, when he speaks. I think he should take that route, rather than trying to crack a lot of jokes. Kurt Angle can do that, Jericho can do that, Rock can do that, Big Show can do that... but Benoit? I dunno.

Batsu
08-16-2004, 03:54 AM
That's not saying much...

Yeah, that was one person that should have been relegated to having Paul Heyman as a mouthpiece for his entire run...

Anybody Thrilla
08-16-2004, 04:26 AM
Try this one on for size...

Do you think that maybe Benoit's (or Brock's, for that matter) lack of mic skills could add more to the character? I mean, Benoit's portrayed as the hard-nosed, no bravado, 'Go Out and Just Wrestle, Damn It!' kinda guy. I don't think that mic skills are all that important to his character, and to me, the fact that he doesn't have them adds even more. It's kinda like him saying 'Hey, I don't need to sit here and write some witty speech and rip on my opponent, because I do my talking in the ring. Toothless Aggression, I'm 4 Real, thank you'.

Know what I mean?

Batsu
08-16-2004, 04:29 AM
Yeah, I think that does add more to Benoit's character. I think people that had been watching him in WWE since he came in pretty much know he isn't the best on the mic, and they, for the most part roll with it.

With Brock, he didn't have to talk either. They could have had Heyman speak for him all this time... because, if they were going to make him another Goldberg, they should have remembered that Goldberg didn't speak except for two choice words.

Anybody Thrilla
08-16-2004, 04:32 AM
... because, if they were going to make him another Goldberg, they should have remembered that Goldberg didn't speak except for two choice words.

Who Farted?

LK
08-16-2004, 12:02 PM
He is like Eddie. He is at his best when he is cutting a serious promos rather than comedy promos.

Corkscrewed
08-16-2004, 04:08 PM
I seem to be better when he's had lines written for him to memorize. If I remember correctly, during his feud with The Rock, that was what happened, and his promos weren't too bad.

Shadow
08-16-2004, 04:15 PM
I'll just be happy if Benoit wouldn't say Wolverine anymore.

Kane Knight
08-16-2004, 05:10 PM
Benoit's not great. He's also not bad, he's just not the Rock. Or Jericho. Or anyone in even remotely taht league.

He can still get a fan reaction, though. He can still cut a decent promo. People treat him like he is unto promos what cancer is to a healthy body, but it's not the case.

Still, as a longtime Benoit fan, I think it's important to recognise that he's far better with a match than a promo.

Rock Bottom
08-16-2004, 06:12 PM
Benoit's segment when he made Orton tap last week was gold. He isn't strong on the mic, but if he did things like that more often, it'd more than make up for it. I was laughing at that segment. Benoit just needs to rely on his "RW" gimmick a little more. Now that he isn't the champ, hopefully they take those gay smiles off his face and he goes back to tenacity.

Team Sheep
08-16-2004, 06:40 PM
His promo with Eddie at WMXX was good.

John la Rock
08-16-2004, 06:53 PM
Benoit is probably the worst wrestler on the mic in the WWE. He's so fucking boring

"Prove me wrong" "I'm for real" zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

loopydate
08-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Benoit is probably the worst wrestler on the mic in the WWE. He's so fucking boring

Worse Than Benoit
A-Train
Jazz
Jim Ross
Lita
Mark Henry
Maven
Tyson Tomko (probably. He hasn't really talked yet)
Billy Gunn
Billy Kidman
Hardcore Holly
Miss Jackie
Orlando Jordan
Scotty 2 Hotty
Torrie Wilson

Anybody Thrilla
08-16-2004, 07:41 PM
I'll have you know, Tyson Tomko was the captain of his debate team in high school!

(oh man, I hope they don't find out that Anybody Thrilla is actually Tyson Tomko...)

CRAP!

Kane Knight
08-16-2004, 07:49 PM

Drama Queen. :roll:

Quick1
08-16-2004, 09:14 PM
Worse Than Benoit
A-Train
Jazz
Jim Ross
Lita
Mark Henry
Maven
Tyson Tomko (probably. He hasn't really talked yet)
Billy Gunn
Billy Kidman
Hardcore Holly
Miss Jackie
Orlando Jordan
Torrie Wilson
Bil demott
Shelton B.....He can improve though

Kane Knight
08-16-2004, 09:58 PM
Yeah, Shelton comes from a primarily athletic background. It's no wonder he's not immediately gold on the mic.s

Chavo Classic
08-17-2004, 09:04 PM

Didn't he say that about seven times in a single promo once. bizarre.