PDA

View Full Version : Elephant

Triple A
12-30-2003, 07:13 AM
OK I just downloaded this from mIRC and I dunno... I just dunno.

It won the Golden Palm at the Cannes film festival, which is the equivalent to Best Picture.

Basically, this movie is about a school shooting, a la Columbine.

I haven't seen a really disturbing movie in a while, so in that respect, this movie ruled. Just the mood it sets is ****ed up.

It's only 78 minutes long and the entire first hour of the movie is introducing us to the characters in the school using really long uncut, continuous shots. Basically it captures the whole high school "essence".

And then we have the shooting.

I don't know what exactly this movie was trying to say, but it had my interest throughout. But, at the same time, it was pretty ****ing disappointing. The movie is so underdeveloped, IMO. It could have been so much more.

I DON'T KNOW. MIXED FEELINGS. But if you are a movie buff, check this shit out. It is an amazingly shot film and the mood and shit is crazy. Basically it's an artistic/****ed up disturbing film.

I dunno if it's on Kazaa, but it's on www.packetnews.com

K PEAC.E

Triple A
12-30-2003, 07:17 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363589/

"I'm not sure what Van Sant is telling us here but it is chilling to watch."

Roger Ebert gave it four stars too.

Here is the trailer: http://www.elephantmovie.com/trailer/index.html

And the site is http://www.elephantmovie.com/

MrMeJW
12-30-2003, 08:11 AM
I've been dying to see it but no one would take the trip into Boston with me. Thanks for the link Trips

mitch_h
12-30-2003, 01:07 PM
Yea ever since I read Roger Ebert's review i've been trying to see it. We have like one arthouse theatre (that's where I actually managed to see Lost In Translation) but it hasn't played there yet. I was unaware of the fact that it is on MIRC so I will download it.

mitch_h
01-02-2004, 01:35 AM
Yea I downloaded a Spanish version... F</>ucking piracy.

Triple A
01-02-2004, 01:49 AM
Get elephant dvdscr xvid deity

MoRcHeEbA
01-02-2004, 02:56 AM
*downloading now*

MoRcHeEbA
01-02-2004, 05:30 PM
yeah, I watched it, I thought it was good but im just like trips about and have mixed feelings about it. Like there was so much more they could have done with it.

Triple A
01-03-2004, 03:21 AM
The movie was pretty pointless, plot wise.

I am guessing the director basically just wanted to make an artsy movie. I've seen his other recent movie with Matt Damon and Casey Affleck, and it is basically an hour and a half of shots of the desert with hardly any dialogue at all.

MoRcHeEbA
01-03-2004, 04:03 AM
yeah, I was reading the website and it said the actors weren't really actors or anything and basically made up there own dialogue. I dunno I liked it how it was shot big time, but I dunno...

Buzzkill
01-03-2004, 04:53 AM
One of my good friends played the role of John, he said basically the whole thing was improvised, barely any script at all. But now he is getting all famous and shit, and he's getting payed a shit load of money to make another movie with Wynona Rider or something :mad:

Buzzkill
01-03-2004, 04:54 AM
yeah, I was reading the website and it said the actors weren't really actors or anything and basically made up there own dialogue. I dunno I liked it how it was shot big time, but I dunno...

wtf u type fast or something

Danny Electric
02-14-2004, 09:11 PM
I finally got round to watching it tonight and it's probably one of the hardest hitting films I have ever seen. It was an amazing film but at the moment I'm still quite shocked.

YOUR Hero
02-14-2004, 09:43 PM
I can't say I'm familiar with this one. Give me the jist of it and who was in it.

Danny Electric
02-14-2004, 09:53 PM
I can't say I'm familiar with this one. Give me the jist of it and who was in it.

OK basically the film stars a list of nobodies but was directed by Gus Van Sant(Good Will Hunting). It caused alot of controversy in America becasue the film is about a school shooting. Most of the film is just leading up to it, which makes it more shocking at the end.

YOUR Hero
02-14-2004, 10:58 PM
Geez, I never heard anything about it. Is it pure fiction or is it based on one of the now many true school shootings?

Triple A
02-15-2004, 04:04 AM
I posted a topic explaining it. I'll merge this one.

YOUR Hero
02-15-2004, 11:30 PM
well it sounds like the idea is not to have a deep plot. Just people living their life when this event takes plae. Haven't watched it (yet) but I think I get the idea what they were after. ...no?

Triple A
02-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Yeah, I read an interview with the director. He said he just wanted to show it, not explain why it happened.

YOUR Hero
02-15-2004, 11:34 PM
Is it based on a particular shooting or no?

Triple A
02-15-2004, 11:35 PM
No. It's fictional, but of course, we assume it's based on Columbine.

Danny Electric
02-16-2004, 06:36 AM
(Spoiler)
I think the thing that got me the most was not knowing what happened in some parts ie the girls in the toilets.

Smitty
07-08-2004, 01:46 AM
I just watched this movie, pretty good IMO. Basically the first 2/3 takes you around the ordinary day of different high school teens and then in the last third of the movie, they show how all the teens are affected when two kids decide to shoot up the school. I thought that the movie did an excellent and believable job at showing what a regular high school day is like, more so than any other movie I've seen.

Triple A
07-08-2004, 01:50 AM
Yeah posted a topic about this. I will merge this post.

Smitty
07-08-2004, 01:52 AM
Yeah posted a topic about this. I will merge this post.

Good job :y:

Vega
07-08-2004, 04:49 AM
Someone rated this a 10 on my IMDB account, so I was forced to go back and delete it. Other than that I don't know much about it.

AlphaBean
07-08-2004, 06:01 AM
Triple A, if you're looking for artsy films that are FUCKED UP, check out Oleanna. It's David Mamet, and basically it's starring William H Macy and some no-name chick, and it's fucking hilarious how much the movie upset me. Like, it's the reason I hate... somebody.

I'll let you check it out, then you'll realize who it is I hate. :mad:

Triple A
07-08-2004, 06:14 AM
Will do.

Douchebag.

El Capitano Gatisto
07-17-2004, 01:22 PM
I saw it this week.

To be honest, I thought it was shit. I can see how a real film buff might like it for the artsy shit, but otherwise it was pointless. It was shot like a documentary, but it had no point whatsoever.

Really, really poor.

Triple A
07-17-2004, 08:40 PM
It is a good "learning film" like for film school. If you want to know how to set up a fucked up mood, watch the movie. It's amazingly directed, but yeah, plot-wise, there is nothing really there. Not a real movie.

El Capitano Gatisto
07-17-2004, 09:10 PM
The fucked up mood comes from knowing that these kids are going to shoot a bunch of their classmates, though. Kids shooting each other is always going to be disturbing.

I just don't get what the director was trying to do. I think he probably just disappeared up his own arse, and decided to show off.