PDA

View Full Version : The Libertines

El Capitano Gatisto
08-28-2004, 11:41 PM
I've just been getting into the Libertines thse past couple of months after borrowing a mate's copy of Up The Bracket. UTB is a fucking great album, a real modern, shambolic, joyous take on punk music and bluesy rock. I'm glad I belatedly got round to recognising its greatness, and now, the Libertines second (and quite possibly final in the complete form due to the antics of Pete Doherty) is due to be released on Monday.

The first single released from the album, Can't Stand Me Now, is the best single I've heard all year, bar none. It sums up the Libertines talent for producing gorgeous pop-infused punk music and also plays upon the relationship dynamic between Carl Barat and Pete Doherty, the two vocalists and lyricists of the band. They're singing about each other, and it's genuine.

Track list from Up The Bracket for anyone interested in downloading:

1. Vertigo
2. Death On The Stairs
3. Horror Show
4. Time For Heroes
5. Boys In The Band
6. Radio America
7. Up The Bracket
8. Tell The King
9. The Boy Looked At Johnny
10. Begging
11. The Good Old Days
12. I Get Along

Other songs to get are Can't Stand Me Now, as mentioned, and their previous chart hit Don't Look Back Into the Sun.

Anyone who considers themselves a fan of modern punk music should give them a try. They have the attitude to back up their music.

Funky Fly
08-29-2004, 04:58 AM
Suggest exactly three songs to listen to and I will give them a shot.

Also, have you considered using Soulseek (http://www.slsknet.org)?

El Capitano Gatisto
08-29-2004, 11:51 AM
You lazy cunt.

Get the two big singles Can't Stand Me Now and Don't Look Back Into the Sun.

El Capitano Gatisto
08-29-2004, 02:37 PM
Get Death on the Stairs or The Boy Looked at Johnny.

El Capitano Gatisto
08-29-2004, 05:56 PM
Just in case I didn't make it clear, this is a pop-punk band who are actually really good. Enough of you call yourselves fans of that genre of music around here, I'm thinking you should give them a listen.

They're even produce by Mick Jones from the Clash.

packt up
08-29-2004, 09:25 PM
Up the bracket = the best song :cool:

I would then recommend don't look back into the sun and boys in the band :y: as my 3.

Oh yeah and I really like them - saw them live at t in the park minus Pete which sucked but Carl carried them through it as well as possible.

Not majorly into them but definite fan and I own the album. Just more proof that your music taste rules ECG...but is slightly delayed in this case :p.

Funky Fly
08-29-2004, 09:30 PM
Just in case I didn't make it clear, this is a pop-punk band who are actually really good. Enough of you call yourselves fans of that genre of music around here, I'm thinking you should give them a listen.

They're even produce by Mick Jones from the Clash.
I saw "pop-punk" and just about closed the window. However, I'll give them a shot as soon as any results come up.

El Capitano Gatisto
08-29-2004, 10:49 PM
I detest "pop-punk". It just so happens that the Libertines have a genuine punk feel to their music, but they come out with really great little pop songs. The production is minimal at times, and the way they belt out the tunes is like a reaction against dreary, over-wrought grunge or indie rock, just as the original punk was a reaction against prog rock dinosaurs and stadium bands.

Funky Fly
08-29-2004, 11:11 PM
I detest "pop-punk". It just so happens that the Libertines have a genuine punk feel to their music, but they come out with really great little pop songs. The production is minimal at times, and the way they belt out the tunes is like a reaction against dreary, over-wrought grunge or indie rock, just as the original punk was a reaction against prog rock dinosaurs and stadium bands.
Nice. I'm still not getting any results, though.

Joeleosis
08-30-2004, 01:14 AM
Fabien Barthez turned me onto them, they aint bad.

El Capitano Gatisto
08-30-2004, 08:43 AM
Nice. I'm still not getting any results, though.
You silly bitch, I'd have sent the whole album to you over MSN if you'd have the manners to come on and ask me.

Downunder
08-30-2004, 10:31 AM
Triple J (the greatest radio station in the World) are playing them a fair bit.

Gotta say - I don't hate it.

El Capitano Gatisto
08-31-2004, 08:28 PM
Got their new album this morning, through my front door provided by the good folks at Amazon.

It's good shit. Not as immediately brilliant as the first album was upon listening, but still good. The first song, Can't Stand Me Now (i.e. the single I recommended) is probably my favourite song out this year by a long, long way. Great tune.

Cactus Sid
09-01-2004, 08:13 AM
They really need Pete back, personally loved them at Reading, but I think if they're gonna continue, he needs to return.

Both albums are fu</>cking amazing.

Cactus Sid
09-01-2004, 08:14 AM
Also, one song that hasn't been mentioned that everyone needs to get is What A Waster