PDA

View Full Version : GTA a stolen idea?

Disturbed316
12-31-2003, 04:02 PM
Taken from ps2.ign.com (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/448/448287p1.html)

Scottish computer consultant Mark Gallagher has filed a lawsuit against Rockstar North, claiming that the company (formerly DMA Design) stole his idea for the game one decade ago.

In 1993, Gallagher showed Rockstar North a demonstration disc of a game that he had been working on and he claims that many of these elements went into the original Grand Theft Auto that came out in 1997.

Gallagher claims that he was interviewing with Rockstar North for a position and showed them his demo disc of his game Crime Inc. to show his skills. He never got the job and the disc was never returned to him. Rockstar North sees things in a different light and will be contending the case in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Why Gallagher has waited so long to make his claim has not been announced. The games are familiar to anyone who owns a PS2 as GTA III and GTA: Vice City have gone on to become two of the biggest sellers on the console.

---------------------------------

What complete bullshit. Why the hell would he wait all this time before doing something about it?

Maybe to see if it took off I suppose, but anyway, still bullshit. :nono:

Silent
12-31-2003, 04:08 PM
And now there are a dozen clones of GTA out there, why doesn't Rockstar sue all of the companies who made these games?

Stupid is an understatement.

Head
12-31-2003, 04:14 PM
If he gave them the demo, I'm pretty sure they are allowed to use whatever ideas they want from it.

KleptoKlown
12-31-2003, 04:42 PM
Well, the game became sucessful(an understatement) so obviously its worth while to sue now...

Penner
12-31-2003, 04:51 PM
if he was really pissed off he would've sued after the first

road doggy dogg
12-31-2003, 05:29 PM
Oh God... EVERY SINGLE GAME in the history of existance "stole" ideas from somewhere. That's how everything works. One person didn't just wake up one morning and say, "Golly, I think I'm going to create this little Italian plumber named Mario who will eat mushrooms to get bigger!", or, "Hey, I think a game about stealing cars would be rather swell."

KleptoKlown
12-31-2003, 05:36 PM
yup...even pong got its idea from table tennis :shifty:

Yashamaga
12-31-2003, 05:47 PM
Yeah but the problem is that it's such a general concept. Stealing cars, blowing up stuff and killing people.

you can't really steal these ideas

The Destroyer
01-01-2004, 03:56 PM
I think he most likely doesn't stand a chance. Scots Law doesn't really like people sitting on their arse and waiting ages to do anything about "wrongs" that have been committed against them...

The Mask
01-01-2004, 03:59 PM
Yeah, the original GTA was a really popular game. It's not as if nobody paid any attention to the series up until it went 3D.

Disturbed316
01-02-2004, 08:26 AM
lol I loved the way you could run over that whole line of harrykrishnars (major sp) and if you got all of them it said GORETASTIC or something :cool:

Chyno
01-02-2004, 10:35 AM
The guy won't get anything - Rockstar will point out that he has waited 6/7 years to make the claim and like others have said it's a common concept (it was what rockstar done with the concept that made it successful)

Big Fat Mike
01-02-2004, 03:18 PM
Bah.

The Mask
01-03-2004, 02:04 AM
lol I loved the way you could run over that whole line of harrykrishnars (major sp) and if you got all of them it said GORETASTIC or something :cool:

GOURANGA

Hired Hitman
01-03-2004, 02:36 AM
GOURANGA!!!!!!!!

*gets wanted level*

:cool:

The Destroyer
01-03-2004, 09:14 AM
The guy won't get anything - Rockstar will point out that he has waited 6/7 years to make the claim and like others have said it's a common concept (it was what rockstar done with the concept that made it successful)
The wonders of personal bar...