PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 2 question

HHHsucks929
09-06-2004, 03:22 PM
Anyone who's ever opened up a PS2 knows about the metal strip thats right there when you open it; I'm talking about the cable that controls the eject and reset buttons. But one person who didn't know is my stupid friend who accidentally ripped the cable out from inside the system. It's still connected to the eject and reset buttons, but wherever it was connected on the inside of the system, it has been detached from that spot. Can this problem be fixed or is it broken beyond repair? I hope someone can help me...

Sephiroth
09-06-2004, 03:28 PM
Neah, can't help you...you can try sending it to the support/consumer services of Sony, maybe they can fix it.

Head
09-06-2004, 03:32 PM
LOL, "friend."

On the subject, I've never opened a PS2 up, but I'd think there would be an unused port that it corresponds to?

dan26
09-06-2004, 03:47 PM
i pulled it out one time just use a flat blade screwdriver and push it back in
it goes under the cd drive.

el fregadero
09-06-2004, 04:41 PM
Neah, can't help you...you can try sending it to the support/consumer services of Sony, maybe they can fix it.
Not if his "friend" opened his PS2.

dan26
09-07-2004, 06:03 AM
if your "friend" cant fix it i will buy the ps 2 off him for $10.00

Sephiroth
09-07-2004, 06:47 AM
Not if his "friend" opened his PS2.

Neah...but he can try. :-\

Xero
09-07-2004, 07:45 AM
Are you sure it was "accidentally" ripped out, or "ripped out because of curiosity, accidentally on purpose"?

I've never opened a PS2... I've only had one without problems, so I'll be damned if I'm gonna fuck it up... I did open a PS1 though, nothing interesting... I think I still have parts of it around here somewhere...

Rob Ban Fan
09-07-2004, 08:04 AM
<font face=verdana size=3 color="#ff6600">Actually, my mate opened up his PS2 to try and clean the lens, he did that and put it back together but it wouldnt switch back on and he said he thought it was to do with that metal strip but he didn't know where it was meant to go.

So if anyone could help me out and give me a bit of detail as to where its meant to go and how to fix it so I could tell him.

Baring in mind ive never opened up my PS2 so i have no idea about this "metal strip" thing :'(</font>

Boomer
09-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Simple problem. Considering I destroyed a PS2 a week ago trying to mod it :o I know exactly what you are talking about. Just use some instructions on how to take apart your PS2. The places he needs to plug them back into are on the left side of the PS2 (facing the controller ports) and are very easy to put in and out. As long as he didn't rip the cable it should be fine.

Here are the instructions. You'll have to identify the PS2 version he has, as they are built a little bit differently.

http://mod-chip.com/installation_ps2.htm

Boomer
09-07-2004, 10:37 AM
<font face=verdana size=3 color="#ff6600">Actually, my mate opened up his PS2 to try and clean the lens, he did that and put it back together but it wouldnt switch back on and he said he thought it was to do with that metal strip but he didn't know where it was meant to go.

So if anyone could help me out and give me a bit of detail as to where its meant to go and how to fix it so I could tell him.

Baring in mind ive never opened up my PS2 so i have no idea about this "metal strip" thing :'(</font>

That metal "strip" is just a big ass ribbon cable that goes to the eject and power buttons. If the buttons aren't working then maybe he unpluged the ribbon from the motherboard.

AareDub
09-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Yea, that ribbon is a pain in the ass. To put it back in properly you have to take apart the entire ps2, and I mean the ENTIRE thing. It's slot is on the top side of the motherboard. As somebody else said, if you're lucky, you can get it back in with a screwdriver. I've taken ps2's apart 100 times over and that little ribbon never fails to piss me off.