PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Football 2K5 > Madden '05

Kalyx triaD
09-08-2004, 07:12 PM
I'm sorry, and I don't care if I become the subject of a witch hunt, ESPN '05 is better than this year's Madden. It's not even the balls on the wall price tag either; it's just more fun to play. Many complain about the running game being to damn easy, but screw it; it's just more fun to play. Madden has become hyper realistic and shares the mantel of a certain racing game that's become so hardcore, only those seriously infused with the genre can enjoy the product.

The Hot Route system is better, the play calling isn't scientific, the audible system kicks ass; and expect the VIP system to be a damn standard by next generation sports games. It's as much a leap forward in stat collecting as Soul Calibur's 8-Way Run is to Side Stepping. And the Stadium Music utilizing your Custom Soundtracks is something that still empresses me to know end. Imagine a fighting where you can set up your own music tracks to certain characters, stages, even menus. Sega kicked ass in presentation this year. The commentary is the best in football games and the half time show is freaking unbelievable; the lesser minded will believe it's a real broadcast watching from afar.

Sorry Madden, ESPN gets my play time this year; and maybe from now on. Madden plays better, mind you; but it's all about where you have fun. And in the end, I just wanna play a fun video game.

RoXer
09-08-2004, 07:52 PM
Ok then.

Joe Kerr
09-08-2004, 07:59 PM
I agree Both are great games but ESPN 2k5 is better....and cheaper

el fregadero
09-08-2004, 08:15 PM
ESPN's in-game non-playing football aspects (i.e. the whole ESPN thing it has) are better than Madden's, but Madden is far superior in the end.

Kalyx triaD
09-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Are you refering to the "Pick a play and put down your controller" aspects of Madden's beefed up Defense game?

Joe Kerr
09-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Maybe he shoulda made this a poll

el fregadero
09-08-2004, 08:52 PM
Maybe you should just stop playing on the easy levels.

Kalyx triaD
09-08-2004, 10:25 PM
Maybe you should just stop playing on the easy levels.

Who the heck is that refering to? Normal difficulty doesn't cut it where I come from, hardest or second to hardest as far as our sports games go; though we don't play many (we're the fighting game, shooter crowd). I can only hope you weren't refering to me.

Bo
09-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Im child of Madden. And nothing seems close to it for me.

el fregadero
09-08-2004, 10:39 PM
Who the heck is that refering to? Normal difficulty doesn't cut it where I come from, hardest or second to hardest as far as our sports games go; though we don't play many (we're the fighting game, shooter crowd). I can only hope you weren't refering to me.
I was refering to you.

Kalyx triaD
09-08-2004, 11:00 PM
Oh. Well in that case.

Normal difficulty doesn't cut it where I come from, hardest or second to hardest as far as our sports games go.

Triple A
09-08-2004, 11:53 PM
Nah Madden is way better. The gameplay is just way, way better. ESPN is like too slow or something. The graphics in ESPN are better, I'll give it that, but I enjoy a more realistic game and Madden rules for that.

Kalyx triaD
09-09-2004, 01:46 AM
Madden has gameplay, I'll never contest that. But presentation is just as important to me; and ESPN rocks with that. Having Prince's Dove's Cry play when I'm successful in a 2pt. Conversion adds alot to my experience; and humiliation to the opposing team. And this is the first football game that I let play all the cut scenes and little stat by stat clickers on screen between plays.

Think about Smackdown vs Raw, it's biggest additions have very little to do with actual gameplay and more to do with presentation. It's a key in any licensed game.

Triple A
09-09-2004, 01:49 AM
Yeah Madden is pretty shitty when it comes to that. The halftime show and stuff is awful. It's from like 1996 or something. ESPN is pretty cool with all that. Better shots of the fans, getting peanuts and stuff like that. Pretty hot, I gotta admit. :mad: But Madden is still a better football game.

BCWWF
09-09-2004, 01:59 AM
I personally like ESPN better. It became the popular opinion to like Madden and now everybody here (at my school) loves it and says ESPN sucks without ever playing it. When I play sports games I like them to be realistic, like I don't throw bombs every play and don't go for it on fourth down etc, and I think that ESPN is better for that. Thats just me though.

Triple A
09-09-2004, 12:46 PM
What are you talking about? If you throw a bomb every play in Madden, the computer AI will start to play the pass every play and you won't complete shit. It's almost impossible to complete a bomb unless you have a fast receiver who is single covered, just like in real life. :eek:

What does going for it on fourth down have to do with the games? :wtf:

BCWWF
09-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Shut up :shifty:

el fregadero
09-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Yeah, bomb plays are impossible in Madden. My two main recievers both have above 90 speed and I never can complete a deep pass to them.

BCWWF
09-09-2004, 05:47 PM
In the past its always been when you play a videogame all you do is pass really, but in ESPN the pass has to be pretty much perfect for it to be caught, so it forces you to run a lot and only make good passes, I like that. I guess I was going by watching people around here and remembering from old games and it always seems like people are going for the big plays everytime. Meh, all I can say is that I love running with Michael Bennett in ESPN, his breakout speed is phenominal.

Kalyx triaD
09-09-2004, 09:22 PM
The Slant Hot Route direction eats Zone defenses alive. This I promise you. At least with my good buddy Galloway of the TB Buccs. And manipulate your player packages if you want a bomb play to work in Madden, miss matches are key at some pass plays. But really, gung ho bomb plays are... well... immature. Trying to make a star out of a QB who's stats may not be up for it only makes the defense looks good.

el fregadero
09-09-2004, 09:39 PM
And after you complete two or three of those slant routes, the defense doesn't play zone for a while after that.

Maybe it's just the teams I'm playing or something. :mad:

AareDub
09-10-2004, 10:25 AM
And the Stadium Music utilizing your Custom Soundtracks is something that still empresses me to know end. Imagine a fighting where you can set up your own music tracks to certain characters, stages, even menus.

Been able to do that in EA's NHL games for YEARS (pc).

road doggy dogg
09-10-2004, 06:54 PM
Madden has gameplay, I'll never contest that. But presentation is just as important to me; and ESPN rocks with that. Having Prince's Dove's Cry play when I'm successful in a 2pt. Conversion adds alot to my experience; and humiliation to the opposing team. And this is the first football game that I let play all the cut scenes and little stat by stat clickers on screen between plays.

Think about Smackdown vs Raw, it's biggest additions have very little to do with actual gameplay and more to do with presentation. It's a key in any licensed game.

Wow, you are fucking retarded.

"ESPN is better than Madden because the 2 pt conversions are cooler"

You are worse than fucking female sports fans. Yes, ESPN's presentation owns Madden, but ANY gamer that knows anything values gameplay over presentation. I dunno whatever, you have fun playing with your little stat clickers (:wtf: ), I'll stick with playing the most realistic football game on the market.

road doggy dogg
09-10-2004, 06:58 PM
I personally like ESPN better. It became the popular opinion to like Madden and now everybody here (at my school) loves it and says ESPN sucks without ever playing it. When I play sports games I like them to be realistic, like I don't throw bombs every play and don't go for it on fourth down etc, and I think that ESPN is better for that. Thats just me though.

Okay I know your mental retardation here is well documented, but for Christ's sake. ESPN is better because Madden is popular? Shut the fuck up. Stupid anti-trendy dipshit.

And how the hell are you saying Madden is unrealistic? What difficulty are you playing on? Put the game on All-Madden and throw 4 bomb passes in a row and I will buy you a fucking car. You simply can NOT throw bomb passes every play in Madden (unless you're on Rookie-Pro or against a VERY VERY stupid human opponent)

Like Triple A said, if a receiver is in single coverage, and that receiver is say, Randy Moss, then yes a bomb will work. If Randy Moss is single-covered deep on every play then I suppose you have a point, but playing on All-Pro or All-Madden, that just won't happen.

road doggy dogg
09-10-2004, 06:59 PM
And after you complete two or three of those slant routes, the defense doesn't play zone for a while after that.

Maybe it's just the teams I'm playing or something. :mad:

Wait, wait... are you saying the defense adjusts to cheesing? But... but... that's not fun at all! :'(

Fuck Madden.

el fregadero
09-10-2004, 07:43 PM
I dunno what cheesing is, but that is exactly what I am saying.

road doggy dogg
09-10-2004, 07:44 PM
Cheesing = doing the same "money" plays over and over... well it's a term used in many online games, basically just being lame and doing the same thing constantly, no matter how cheap it is

el fregadero
09-10-2004, 07:46 PM
I see, maybe if I played online I would have known that.

road doggy dogg
09-10-2004, 07:48 PM
Yeah us online nerds have many terms like that

Kalyx triaD
09-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Road Dog, you're the exact reason people don't voice the fact that they approve ESPN, or any other football game, over your precious Madden. Look at your post regarding our oppinions... We're retarded?

Presentation is just as important as gameplay; because it's what makes me... PLAY THE GAME. So yeah, I like it when a song I like plays during certain situations in the game. I like Berman's halftime show. Hell it's kick-ass presentation that made a so-so game like Enter the Matrix sell like hotcakes.

And I'm here STILL giving props to Maddens gameplay and here you are calling some of us retarded? BCWWF is right, when a game, or anything popular, establishes itself for years; people are afraid to except change, and the possibility that their favorate 'thing' has been bested.

Again: ESPN '05 > Madden '05

road doggy dogg
09-10-2004, 10:14 PM
What is wrong with my opinion? Not once did I insult ESPN's game at all. I am simply pointing out Madden's positives. I'm sure ESPN is a great game; Madden is just better.

You may like all your stat clickers and bells and whistles and cheerleaders, I just prefer a game that accurately simulates the sport.

Also, your whole argument about me being "afraid to accept change" is total bullshit, since in a thread just last week I said I'm probably going to buy NHL2k5 this year anyways. :| But whatever, have fun with your shitty little songs, Madden is still better where it counts.

Kalyx triaD
09-10-2004, 10:47 PM
I wonder, are you the type who sends letters to EA Sports when a WR's speed is 4 points too low? The most accurate way to simulate sports is actually going outside and playing it. You can snap back with, "Well if you want great presentation you should actually watch ESPN instead of playing it."

So here we are at a stalemate.

You play Madden, I play ESPN. We both have good points for our decision. Although I don't think I'm retarded for mine.

And there's nothing shitty about Dove's Cry.

road doggy dogg
09-10-2004, 11:03 PM
I still think you're retarded, for what it's worth.

Kalyx triaD
09-11-2004, 12:21 AM
Oh, I guess you were being an asshole, then. Nice representative for Madden, you are. Hey Doggy Dog; "Fear the D." Ha! See ya next year Madden.

road doggy dogg
09-11-2004, 12:27 AM
:wtf:

Since when am I "representing" Madden? lol... you're taking this all a bit too seriously. :| See ya next year? Yeah 'cause it's not like Madden sold 1.3 MILLION copies on opening week alone or anything...

Kalyx triaD
09-11-2004, 12:46 AM
Madden's always gonna sell like, fact is; it's no longer because it's great gameplay. More than half that number are buying Madden on the count that it's cool to buy. Like the millions that saw the Matrix movies without knowing what the hell was going on; "It's the Matrix, everybody's going to see it." So don't throw numbers at me, there is a such thing as half a million non-gaming idiots. I bet you if all those numbers tried out ESPN for a week, sales would drop like a QB against a Hit Stick.

And yes, you are speaking out in defense of Madden so that makes you a representative. BTW, who plays online on either game?

el fregadero
09-11-2004, 01:35 AM
"When Doves Cry" is not a shitty song, RDD. :mad:

road doggy dogg
09-11-2004, 01:52 AM
I don't even know what the song is, nor do I really care. I'm sure it sucks though, JUST LIKE THE JAGUARS

el fregadero
09-11-2004, 01:01 PM
Uncalled for. :'(

road doggy dogg
09-11-2004, 04:27 PM
How about Leftwich's thumb EH :rofl:

el fregadero
09-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Week 10
Sunday, Nov. 10

Detroit at Jacksonville, 1:00 pm

Oh yeah.

razorblade kisses
09-12-2004, 07:41 AM
Yeah, Madden is the more realistic game and since I'm not a fan of watching the NFL, probably helps.

With NHL though, the EA one is the arcadey one and the ESPN one is the best simulation and since I have Hitz, ESPN is the obvious choice to counter-balance that :D

EDIT: FFS, she didn't log-in for like 4 months:mad:. This post brought to you by Hasney