PDA

View Full Version : Ozzy Osbourne injured in a relatively serious crash

Lara Emily
12-09-2003, 08:19 AM
Ozzy badly hurt in crash</HEADLINE> <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><DATE>December 10, 2003 - 10:19AM</DATE>

</TD><TD align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE class=articleextrasbox cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=222 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><BOD>

Rock wildman Ozzy Osbourne was on a ventilator in intensive care yesterday after undergoing emergency surgery following a quad bike accident in Britain.

Osbourne, who was injured at his Buckinghamshire estate on Monday while taking time out from a promotional tour, was continuing to receive treatment at the Wexham Park Hospital in Slough.

On Monday night, hospital staff treated a cracked vertebra in his neck, eight broken ribs, a broken collarbone and a damaged blood vessel.

Circulation in his left arm has now been restored after the damage to the blood vessel caused by pressure from his broken collarbone.

But Osbourne, 55, remains on a ventilator and is unable to speak because he has a tube in his mouth.

The hospital's medical director, Dr Dick Jack, said: "He's still on a ventilator in the intensive care unit. He was seen on the ward round this morning [Tuesday] and he is fine."

It is understood that Osbourne is also wearing a hard collar because of the damage to his neck.

The circumstances of the accident are not yet clear.<ISLANDAD><SCRIPT> <!-- // var b;var greater = 0 ;name = navigator.appName; ver = parseInt(navigator.appVersion); var agt = navigator.userAgent; if (agt.indexOf('Macintosh')==-1) { if (name == 'Netscape' && ver >= 4) { b = 1; } else if (name == 'Microsoft Internet Explorer' && ver >= 4) { b = 2; } else { b = 0; } if (b == 1) { var toolkit = java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(); var size = toolkit.getScreenSize(); width = self.innerWidth; if (width >= 772) greater = 1; } else if (b == 2) { if (document.body.clientWidth >= 772) greater = 1; } if (greater == 1) { document.write("
<style type='text/css'>@media print {.nopr {display:none}}</style><table cellpading='0' cellspacing='0' border='0' align='right' width='300'><tr valign='top'><td> </td> <td align='right'>advertisement</td></tr><tr valign='top'> <td nowrap> </td><td bgcolor='#ffffff' align='center' valign='middle'>");document.write("<IFRAME WIDTH='300' HEIGHT='250' MARGINWIDTH='0' MARGINHEIGHT='0' HSPACE='0' VSPACE='0' FRAMEBORDER='0' SCROLLING='no' BORDERCOLOR='#000000' SRC="http://campaigns.f2.com.au/html.ng/cat=entertainment&ctype=story&subcat=music&site=smh&adspace=300x250"><SCRIPT LANGUAGE='JavaScript1.1' SRC="http://campaigns.f2.com.au/js.ng/cat=entertainment&ctype=story&Params.richmedia=yes&subcat=music&site=smh&adspace=300x250"></SCR" + "IPT><NOSCRIPT>http://campaigns.f2.com.au/image.ng/cat=entertainment&ctype=story&Params.richmedia=yes&subcat=music&site=smh&adspace=300x250 ("")</NOSCRIPT></IFRAME>");document.write("</td></tr><tr valign='top'><td> </td><td nowrap align='left'>advertisement</td></tr></table>
"); } } // --> </SCRIPT>
<STYLE type=text/css>@media print {.nopr {display:none}}</STYLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 width=300 align=right border=0 cellpading="0"><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD> </TD><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD noWrap> </TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle bgColor=#ffffff></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD> </TD><TD noWrap align=left></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
</ISLANDAD>

Osbourne was in Britain to promote his latest single, Changes - a duet with his daughter Kelly. Security staff were placed at the hospital's entrances overnight to keep away over-enthusiastic fans.

But at least one bunch of flowers was placed at the entrance to the Accident & Emergency ward with a card reading "Only one Ozzy".

The quad bike accident is the latest dramatic twist in a turbulent life lived firmly in the public eye.

After growing up in a working class family of eight in a two-bedroom house in Birmingham, Osbourne shot to fame in the 1970s as the frontman of heavy metal group Black Sabbath. There were wild stunts, images of death and evil and furious lyrics.

After launching a solo career, his notoriety soared further when he bit the head off a bat on stage in Des Moines, Iowa.

Osbourne claimed he thought it was a toy, but it was a living bat and because the creatures can carry rabies he had to have a series of painful injections.

A few months earlier, he bit the head off a dove in front of record executives at a meeting in Los Angeles.

Besides earning a reputation as one of the world's wildest rock stars, the self-proclaimed Prince of Darkness had to face his own demons through an ongoing battle against addiction to drink and drugs.

His fame found a new lease of life two years ago as the star of the fly-on-the-wall reality TV show The Osbournes, which turned his dysfunctional family into international household names.

However, he was devastated when his wife Sharon was diagnosed as having colon cancer last year.

The rocker, who has battled drink and drugs, also had health problems of his own and underwent treatment for a tremor earlier this year.

On Saturday, a story on the Los Angeles Times website reported Osbourne's claim that he was overprescribed a variety of powerful anti-psychotic and tranquillising drugs by a Beverly Hills physician.

Osbourne said he developed a 42-pill per day habit that accounted for his odd behaviour on the hit MTV show, including scenes in which he was seen mumbling, falling and appearing disoriented.

And in a recent interview, he revealed he had been a victim of abuse as a child.

The Osbournes, the MTV reality show featuring the rocker, Sharon and their children, started production about a month ago on its third season, scheduled to begin on January 13.

It was not immediately known how the accident would affect production or how or whether it might be included in the series, an MTV spokeswoman said.

In 1998, comedy star Rik Mayall was involved in a quad bike accident at his Devon home leaving him with serious injuries and putting him in a coma for several days.

Agencies

</BOD>

razorblade kisses
12-09-2003, 10:41 AM
Wow...that almost came off sounding like an obituary. Like the obscure reference to Rik Mayall as well.

But yeah, it kinda sucks hes had a serious accident.

fonzy
12-09-2003, 10:43 AM
<center><font color="#0080FF" face="Arial" Size="2">saw that on the news last night (well, at like 2am)

hope he's alright.

wonder if mtv got it on tape...</font>

Citizen
12-09-2003, 11:21 AM
:( Poor Ozzy!

Get well soon Man. :y:

Mike the Metal Ed
12-09-2003, 11:28 AM
<font face="Century Gothic" color=#2E4998 size=2>Bloody hell, looks like his <s>September</s> <s>October</s> February tour's off again.

Makes me wonder what the fuc</>k Ozzy would be doing on a quad bike anyway. He;s not exactly the most stable guy at the best of times, without throwing a death wish like that in as well.</font>

Tornado
12-09-2003, 12:03 PM
<font color=#33ffff>Here's hoping hes gonna be alright...:y:</font>

fonzy
12-09-2003, 12:07 PM
<center><font color="#0080FF" face="Arial" Size="2">i still wanna see it</font>

DegenerationY
12-09-2003, 01:34 PM
I honestly hope that they don't show it on TV despite the guaranteed ratings points they'd receive. It's just wrong... :o

KleptoKlown
12-09-2003, 02:51 PM
Hope he gets better.

On an unrelated note...he looks a hell of a lot older than 55.

Vega
12-09-2003, 02:52 PM
Yeah read that. It's not life threatening, luckily.

Wengerland
12-09-2003, 02:58 PM
Get well soon Ozzy

Pete
12-09-2003, 04:21 PM
Shame it wasn't Kelly

Kenny
12-09-2003, 04:23 PM
I know this sounds like I'm just trying to be the ass of this thread... but GOOD! Seriously... the guy makes me sick. He needs a wake up call. How many times has he bitten the head off of a living animal? When Ozzy does go I hope he gets his head bit off by a killer shark or a descendant of Rosie O'Donnell. And I hope it's a struggle so he has time to think and remember before the final snap.

DegenerationY
12-09-2003, 06:45 PM
I know this sounds like I'm just trying to be the ass of this thread... but GOOD! Seriously... the guy makes me sick. He needs a wake up call. How many times has he bitten the head off of a living animal? When Ozzy does go I hope he gets his head bit off by a killer shark or a descendant of Rosie O'Donnell. And I hope it's a struggle so he has time to think and remember before the final snap.

shut your hole, wang chung

Ninti the Mad
12-09-2003, 10:11 PM

This coming from the guy whining about people making fun of/hating Britney Spears/Avril.

Kenny
12-09-2003, 11:19 PM
This coming from the guy whining about people making fun of/hating Britney Spears/Avril.

Singing songs and having nice boobs is a lot different from biting heads off of living things.

Silent
12-10-2003, 01:26 AM
Ozzy rules, and I'm not just speaking about his show. He is/was a great musician back then.

I heard about this, but this is the first actual news story I've seen about it. Get well Ozzy.

Nowhere Man
12-10-2003, 01:54 AM
How many times has he bitten the head off of a living animal?

1 bat, by accident (legend has it, he thought it was a fake bat), and 2 doves. To the best of my knowledge, that's it. So yeah, while 3 head-bitings is a bit more than most people ever do, it's not like he snacks on live critters for breakfast.

Anyways, here's hoping Ozzy gets better.

Ninti the Mad
12-10-2003, 12:31 PM
Singing songs and having nice boobs is a lot different from biting heads off of living things.

Hate is hate.

Dont preach what you dont practice.

Disturbed316
12-10-2003, 02:29 PM
<font face="Century Gothic" color=#2E4998 size=2>Bloody hell, looks like his <s>September</s> <s>October</s> February tour's off again.

Makes me wonder what the fuc</>k Ozzy would be doing on a quad bike anyway. He;s not exactly the most stable guy at the best of times, without throwing a death wish like that in as well.</font>

Rich people have too much time on their hands, so they think 'oh i'll just go for a ride' and in some cases, they crash.

I read somewhere that MTV wont say whether they taped it (so they probably did) or if they will show it.

MJD
12-11-2003, 06:08 AM
He really shouldn't operate any machinery. I take hayever tablets and I'm not allowed to drive. He takes 40 odd tablets a day and he can't operate a remote let alone a ****ing quad bike.

Hope he recovers allright though.

Kris P Lettus
12-12-2003, 02:59 AM
Update...

It's not good....

:nono:

Report: OZZY May Never Sing Again - Dec. 11, 2003

World Entertainment News Network is reporting that Ozzy Osbourne may never sing again after the horrific ATV accident this week which almost left him paralyzed.

Osbourne broke six ribs, a collarbone and a vertebra in his neck after losing control of the vehicle in the grounds of his Buckinghamshire, England, estate on Monday.

Doctors at Wexham Park Hospital in Slough, south England, where Ozzy is being treated in intensive care, say the singer is making slow progress — but they fear he may never regain his voice.

Medical director Dr. Dick Jack says, "He is not physically able to come off the ventilator yet. While he has got a tube in his throat he can't talk but, while awake, he has been making progress with people. His progress will be slow."

When asked if the 55-year-old former BLACK SABBATH frontman will be able to speak once the tube has been removed, Jack responded, "We don't know."

Kenny, I hope that makes you feel good for your fuc</>ked up comments...

I wish you a long and painfull death...

Silent
12-12-2003, 10:14 AM
:(

Kane Knight
12-12-2003, 11:33 AM

In many cases, it would be. In this case, the two are the same. You're spreading hate and <u><b>wishing death</u></b> upon someone. Hot damn, most people who hate Brittney or Avril don't say they should die. They just want them off their radio.

Disturbed316
12-12-2003, 12:46 PM
Aparantly his :heart: stopped and stopped breathing for about 2 minutes. It will seriously suck if he isn't able to sing again :(

Jesus Shuttlesworth
12-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Wow thats messed up.....hopefully he gets better..

But seriously he shouldnt be able to operate an ATV....its just not smart.

Mike the Metal Ed
12-12-2003, 10:24 PM
The latest from www.ozzy.com , slightly better news than what the rest of the media's been saying.

DECEMBER 12, 2003
OZZY UPDATE
Sharon, Aimee, Kelly and Jack want to thank everyone for the outpouring of love and concern for Ozzy following his accident on Monday at his home in Buckinghamshire, England in which he broke eight ribs, his collarbone and a vertebra which requires him to have a 7 inch steel plate attached to the back of his neck. Ozzy needed to have emergency surgery to repair an artery that had been damaged during the accident.

Here's an update on how Ozzy's doing today:

According to,Dr. Dick Jack, the Medical Director at Wexham Park Hospital in Slough, south England, "Mr Osbourne had a good, comfortable night. He is progressing well, but slowly. With each day he becomes less dependent on the ventilator. It is still too early to take him off entirely."

Kelly briefly addressed the media at the hospital on Wednesday to update the press on her dad's condition. Kelly said, "he woke up today, but he can't speak because of the tube. He's able to mouth words and he told us he loved us. He's been complaining about the nurses, so we know he's all right. He gave me the thumbs up and stuck his tongue out at me."

Sharon spoke about Ozzy's progress via a videotaped message that aired on her daytime talk show in the U.S. Sharon remarked that "Ozzy is doing really well. He's still in the ICU, but he's doing really good — he's very stable."

Contrary to rumors that Ozzy's doctors have said that he may not be able to get back on stage for a year, please note that no such statements have been made. Ozzy has had no vocal cord or windpipe damage whatsoever.

Dr. Jack promises that he "will give a further update on Mr. Osbourne's condition on Monday morning."

Please check in at here at Ozzy.com for updates on Ozzy's condition.

Ninti the Mad
12-13-2003, 10:28 AM
Update...

It's not good....

You said it, brother.

Kane Knight
12-13-2003, 11:29 AM
Update...

It's not good....

Two wrongs make a right, right?

Hoping Kenny dies totally makes up for him hoping ozzy dies, and makes you a better person, right?

Ninti the Mad
12-13-2003, 11:37 AM

Hoping Kenny dies totally makes up for him hoping ozzy dies, and makes you a better person, right?

You get what you give.

Kris P Lettus
12-13-2003, 01:05 PM

No, two wrongs don't make a right.. But three lefts do...

I'm a great person...

Kane Knight
12-14-2003, 12:38 AM
You get what you give.

That justifies wishing death on Taurus only as far as it justifies wishing death on Kris P. An eye for an eye? Well, anyone can sink low enough to play that game.

Yeah, you get what you give. Kenny's a bastard wishing death on someone, so he gets a bastard wishing death on someone.

Kris P Lettus
12-14-2003, 02:25 AM
That justifies wishing death on Taurus only as far as it justifies wishing death on Kris P. An eye for an eye? Well, anyone can sink low enough to play that game.

Yeah, you get what you give. Kenny's a bastard wishing death on someone, so he gets a bastard wishing death on someone.

k

DaveWadding
12-14-2003, 03:12 AM
According to Dr. Dick Jack

Pardon my immaturity, but :lol: