PDA

View Full Version : PSTWO

#BROKEN Hasney
09-21-2004, 07:21 PM
Looks pretty hot, but no support for an HD :( Built in Network Adaptor though!

http://premium.uploadit.org/dsn2000/ps25.JPG

It releases on Nov 1st in Europe (EUR149) and US ($149), and Nov 3rd in Japan.

Disturbed316
09-21-2004, 07:25 PM
Looks pretty hott, although I cant see why they didn't make it like that in the first place.

Penner
09-21-2004, 07:31 PM
pretty hot shit

#BROKEN Hasney
09-21-2004, 07:36 PM
Looks pretty hott, although I cant see why they didn't make it like that in the first place.
This, like the PSONE, has no fan, meaning it can get a lot smaller. not only that but the cnetral CPU and "emotion engine" have been put into one chip. All of this was impossible at the original PS2 launch

Disturbed316
09-21-2004, 07:37 PM
So why suddenly decide it doesn't need a fan anymore?

#BROKEN Hasney
09-21-2004, 07:38 PM
So why suddenly decide it doesn't need a fan anymore?
The chips are of a newer generation and they don't output much heat at all so it doesn't need it anymore

Disturbed316
09-21-2004, 07:46 PM
OIC :o

Xero
09-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Wow... Lookin pretty slim there! **Rimshot**

Unless people need a new one from a break, they need space, or dont have one but want one (Which cant be that many people now), it wont sell too great IMO... But you never know...

OssMan
09-21-2004, 08:41 PM
what the fuck? If I had known that this was coming out, I would have waited a month to buy it. I paid $150 for my PS2 that I got a week ago, and now I have to buy the network adaptor.

Head
09-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Yeah, the hardrive thing really doesn't bother me.

Not like it's ever going to be really supported anyway.

Head
09-21-2004, 08:54 PM
what the fuck? If I had known that this was coming out, I would have waited a month to buy it. I paid $150 for my PS2 that I got a week ago, and now I have to buy the network adaptor.
If you just bought it a week ago, I'm sure you can return it still assuming you kept the box and receipt, and didn't fuck it up.

road doggy dogg
09-21-2004, 08:55 PM
So wait... this comes with a network adapter built in?

HELLOOOOOO

Been meaning to buy a PS2 all month to play Madden online. This is like a fucking omen.

diothoir
09-21-2004, 10:51 PM
Nice, my old ps2 just died of disk read error. What timing.

Mike the Metal Ed
09-21-2004, 11:02 PM
So is this just a slimmer PS2, or a fully portable console, like the PSone (avec car fag lighter plug)

DS
09-21-2004, 11:06 PM
Just a slimmer PS2.

Mike the Metal Ed
09-21-2004, 11:11 PM
Meh, not much point in getting one until my current PS2 packs up then.

Boomer
09-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Meh. I just got a (h) modded PS2, so who cares. That new one looks like some fun for modders to try and mod.

Dark-Slicer Diago
10-16-2004, 10:34 AM
With four years in the life of the PS2 behind us we were expecting to see a lot more quality games and maybe some more online options, but to see a complete overhaul of the system was a complete surprise. But that's what really happened at the Tokyo game Show and unfortunately the tiny new versions were all under plexiglass and all we could do is stare at them and wonder if they really worked. Well, we don't wonder any more because we got one in the office and after every editor had to come and hold the thing we checked out to see what was new.

The first and most overwhelming thing about the new PS2 (aka the PStwo) is that it's tiny. Not just small or svelte or wearing some slimming outfit, but the new shape is a small fraction of its former self. Measuring in at 1"x9"x6" the PStwo can easily be overwhelmed by a graphic novel and can be stacked right next to some games with anyone barely noticing. As soon as we put it down on Tal's desk for an impromptu photo shoot everyone dragged out every other console they could find for a comparison. Aside from the PSone, the new PStwo is one of the smallest consoles in recent history.

The second big change is that the PStwo no longer has a tray that slides out. With a flip-top lid games can be placed in from the top and there's no more worries about the motor for the sliding tray wearing out in the future. This is a slick feature, but it has a couple of consequences which are fine for when the console is on top, but otherwise it's a little tricky. For one thing the console can't be buried beneath books, other games, or any other paraphernalia that might be lying around the house. The other problem is that when the PStwo is in the vertical position it's a little more difficult to get the games onto the spindle since they need to be pushed in instead of being dropped in like before. Getting a stand or setting the PStwo up against a solid object will be unavoidable.

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/557/557637/checking-out-the-pstwo-20041015062404675-000.jpg

To get down to fighting weight and then past that to Ally McBeal status the PStwo has had to make a couple of change along the way. The AC adaptor is now external like the GameCube with a cord similar to the original PS2's (except for the tip that's a figure 8 like the Xbox's) that feeds into the adaptor that then connects to the PStwo. Another big change is that there is no longer a big gaping hole for the HDD since the PStwo has no HDD support. This is a bummer, but unless gamers are playing Final Fantasy XI or want to play the upcoming downloadable levels of SOCOM II this shouldn't be a problem.

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/557/557637/checking-out-the-pstwo-20041015062403316-000.jpg

One of the changes makes the machine smaller and more powerful in the same step. The Network Adaptor has now been internalized and there is an Ethernet port as well as a dial-up jack that is on the back. Say goodbye to the bulky addition on the back of the old PS2 and hello to the possibility of some quick and easy transport for a gaming machine that can jump in on a LAN game at a friend's house. While it's sad and unfortunate and frustrating that Gran Turismo 4 will not be online the game will be LAN-enabled and with the PStwo it will be at least an option to go to another spot and set up a network game.

One of the differences in the design is that the memory card slot and the front of the controller ports are no longer flat on the front of the PStwo. The controller ports are just as far below as before, but they are also inset a little less than a centimeter. The problem with this is that the multitaps that worked perfectly fine with the old PS2 are no longer functional. The memory card plug fits, but not the controller plug. While the new design looks cool there doesn't seem to be any good reason for making an official peripheral useless with the change. Add that to the HDD and that makes two devices that will now be collecting dust.

On the bottom of the PStwo there is a threaded hole for the stand to go into. Unfortunately the stand isn't included in the box, but interestingly enough there are a couple of other threaded holes on the back of the PStwo. This could mean something monumental such as there being the future possibility of an LCD screen like the PSone had or maybe even an external hard drive (not likely), but since these holes have appeared in previous versions of the PS2 it could mean pretty much nothing except that Sony likes to put holes in the backs of their machines.

When we finally had enough of just looking at the PStwo and finally plugged it in it worked out just like a PS2. Games played and the controller worked and it was just like it's been for the last four years. The biggest change is that there was practically no sound coming from the PStwo itself. There were some disc access noises and some minor grunts that were only apparent after one puts his ears right next to it. Other than that the jet sounds from the PS2 were a thing of the past.

After getting over the slight hardware differences the software itself ran smoothly. Sony has claimed that some titles will not run on the PStwo, but so far we have not run into any games that have a problem with it. We will be continuing to use this machine in the future and will report any and all problems that we encounter.

So far one of the biggest problems that we've run into is that there is a problem with using the Logitech Cordless Action Controller (aka the kick-ass wireless controller that we love). The receiver that plugs into the controller port fits in there just fine and the controller works on the new PStwo. But since the new PStwo is lower than before and the controller port is barely above the table the extra-deep receiver pokes out below and becomes an extra leg for the PStwo as it pushes it off the ground. This is not a huge problem in and of itself, but we love our Cordless Action Controllers and will be forced to place the PStwo on top of something else so that the front has a slight overhang or find some way of getting the whole thing vertical and be able to easily put games inside of it.

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/557/557637/checking-out-the-pstwo-20041015062408503-000.jpg

Taken as a whole, the new PStwo is looking nice and sexy with its tiny new profile and the ability to easily carry it around. There are some quirks and oddities about the design so if you're hooked on the sliding tray or the possibility of using the top of the PS2 to hold a drink, then this may be a bit of a problem. Still, for all those folks who have managed to hold out this long for a PS2 or whose old one has just bit the dust or who just want a quiet machine, this is the one for you.

As a final extra bonus, the PStwo has a warranty for a full year instead of the old 90 days from before. While it's unlikely that this would be the final kick in the pants to get a new machine, it's still one hell of an incentive. We wouldn't be too surprised if many gamers get a new machine just to get another year of a warranty to help pass the time before the inevitable release of the PS3.

and heres whats inside the PSTwo box

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/557/557637/checking-out-the-pstwo-20041015062407737.jpg

LoDownM
10-16-2004, 01:04 PM
Yep, that shit's hot. Gonna get it, to replace the pos half working ps2, that a friend gave me.

Team Sheep
10-16-2004, 02:40 PM
Pre-ordered mine today :cool: After my 3 year old recently passed away of the dreaded DRE :'( Just out of curiosity, what's that black box thing in the picture where it shows the contents of the box?

el fregadero
10-16-2004, 02:45 PM
AC adaptor.

Apprentice
10-16-2004, 03:20 PM
I found this pretty funny

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/557/557637/checking-out-the-pstwo-20041015062407316-000.jpg

Team Sheep
10-16-2004, 03:22 PM
lol, sums up the x-box really :p

Sephiroth
10-16-2004, 03:35 PM
Meh, it's cool lookin and stuff, but i won't buy it...i'll save my money for the PS3 :yes:

TheNamelessOne
10-16-2004, 03:57 PM
It still looks ugly as shit.

Anyway, this doesn't really effect me. Im not going to buy a new PS2 which has the shocking new feature of being a smaller version with some fairly minor changes.

AareDub
10-17-2004, 01:22 PM
Well, I started my new job at Gamestop last night and I was a bit surprised because we actually sold one of these consoles. I thought they weren't supposed to be released yet. It's pretty damn cool, but no hard drive support means no business from me.

Team Sheep
10-17-2004, 05:38 PM
It says there's no longer a disc tray, so where on the top of the console do we put the games in?

DaveWadding
10-17-2004, 05:46 PM
The lid opens like a PS1 lid would.

Team Sheep
10-17-2004, 05:53 PM
will it be on the left side or the right do you know?

AareDub
10-18-2004, 12:38 AM
will it be on the left side or the right do you know?

The flip top is on the right side.

SuperSlim
10-19-2004, 09:37 AM
yeah it's on the right side. read about it in my mag. anyway if I didn't have a PS2 then I would get that but since my PS2 is in still very good workin order there isn't a need for this new "sueprslim" version of the PS2 at all.

MVP
10-19-2004, 05:50 PM
NICE built in network adapter. :cool:

Tornado
10-23-2004, 07:27 PM
We got our dummy model in today. So fucking tiny.

Rain Man
10-23-2004, 07:29 PM
is there ever gonna b a PS3

Jonster
10-23-2004, 07:31 PM
One would assume so given the nature of gaming companies to continually evolve their product.

SuperSlim
10-23-2004, 07:45 PM
of course there is gonna be a PS3... I forget when... it was in an article in one of my magazines. but yeah there is.

HeartBreakMan2k
10-24-2004, 02:38 AM
is there ever gonna b a PS3
Yeah, there was a football commercial using the same technology PS3 will use not to long ago. There isn't any reason to release a PS3 though, not anytime soon. PS2 is still selling pretty well, why not get the most you can out of the profits it offers.

V
10-24-2004, 04:05 AM
some games wont work?
no multi tap?
no harddrive?

seems too limited, i mean who the hell cares about how big their system is, unless you live in a box

The Diva
10-24-2004, 04:29 AM
I think I'll get one, more for the fact that I was going to get another PS2 anyway and why have one when you can have two. The issues with the multi-tap, HDD and all aren't really anything major, especially if you just have another one to use them with anyway. Now if only Microsoft would make a smaller X-Box say, roughly the size of Rhode Island, then we would be making some real progress as the current one is too big for my shelf.

Team Sheep
10-24-2004, 02:57 PM
I just got an e-mail from Game, they said that I'll get it on the 29th October now instead of the 1st November :cool:

AareDub
10-27-2004, 11:02 AM
Just a warning to everybody, we've had 3 of these systems returned already as defective. They do not have a fan inside them and tend to overheat VERY quickly. One of the "defective" ones brought back was tested out in the store and after 10 minutes of running it was too hot to even touch. The counter it was sitting on became quite heated as well.

If you're just dying to have one of these I reccommend waiting until Sony adresses the heat problem.

Dark-Slicer Diago
10-27-2004, 11:28 AM
thanks for the warning

Team Sheep
10-27-2004, 11:54 AM
Ah shit, just my luck :(

What Would Kevin Do?
10-27-2004, 01:21 PM
I have one.. got it a couple of days ago at Best Buy ( Go replacement plan). HAven't played it that much, but I haven't seen any signs of overheating.

AareDub
10-27-2004, 07:00 PM
I have one.. got it a couple of days ago at Best Buy ( Go replacement plan). HAven't played it that much, but I haven't seen any signs of overheating.

That's good to hear. I guess it's just a select few that seem to be having the problem.

Team Sheep
10-27-2004, 07:04 PM
mine better not be fucked :mad:

Extreme Angle
02-02-2022, 03:25 PM
nice.