PDA

View Full Version : USA Nintendo DS $149.99 + 2 free games

#BROKEN Hasney
09-21-2004, 07:37 PM
Nintendo to launch DS game system in November
Posted 9/21/2004 1:31 AM
By Steven Kent, Special for USA TODAY
Japanese game giant Nintendo announced Tuesday that its forthcoming DS (short for Dual Screen) portable game system will launch in the United States on Nov. 21 for a retail price of $149.99.

DS, widely seen as a follow-up to Nintendo's hugely successful Game Boy line, features two back-lighted color screens, stereo sound, voice recognition, and wireless communications (both WiFi and a proprietary protocol developed specifically for DS). DS, which comes with both standard game buttons and a touch-sensitive screen and stylus controller, plays Game Boy Advance cartridges as well as games on ROM cards.

Nintendo's price will include a pack-in game called Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt as well as PictoChat, communications software that lets users send messages and drawings to each other.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/gear/entertainment/2004-09-21-nintendo-ds-launch_x.htm

Thats a great price and its nice to see Nintendo fully emphasizing on the WI-FI connectivity buy including those 2 pieces of software for free.

If anyone wants to import one to England, it works out at just over £80:drool:

Mike the Metal Ed
09-21-2004, 07:39 PM
OMG THIS AND PSTWO I NEED A JOB/MONEY NOW. :MAD:

Mike the Metal Ed
09-21-2004, 07:40 PM
Any word on whether it will be region free, like all previous GBs or not?

Xero
09-21-2004, 08:28 PM
My mom's getting it for me for Christmas... Glad they're bring back the pack ins! Not a bad price for what you get IMO... Wish they included that Pac Man game, but meh, if they ever release it, it better not be ONLY it unless it's like $10...

Any news on launch titles?

Head
09-21-2004, 08:41 PM
Gimmie the PSP.

road doggy dogg
09-21-2004, 08:53 PM
Wow, didn't realize it was so close to being released. :o

$150 US for the system and two games, not too shabby. Does it have complete backwards compatibility with all GBA/GB games as well? Or is this more of a "stand-alone" type dealie

Xero
09-21-2004, 09:00 PM
Wow, didn't realize it was so close to being released. :o

$150 US for the system and two games, not too shabby. Does it have complete backwards compatibility with all GBA/GB games as well? Or is this more of a "stand-alone" type dealie

Only GBA, no GB/GBC, which sorta sucks, because if you still have GB/GBC games and want to play them, you have to keep your GBA... Which I'll be doing, for now anyway... I guess it's a cartrige size problem, or they couldnt encode it into the system or something...

road doggy dogg
09-21-2004, 09:01 PM
Hmmm doesn't really make sense, but if it's a cartridge thing like you said I understand I guess. Would be nice to have complete backwards compatibility, but at least you can play GBA titles on it. That rules. Now I can stop stealing my sister's boyfriend's SP to play Fire Emblem :cool:

The Destroyer
09-21-2004, 09:20 PM
Any word on whether it will be region free, like all previous GBs or not?
Why wouldn't it be? :wtf:

The thing that keeps the GB region free is the fact that it's not reliant on power supplies (so mains voltage is never an issue), but more importantly that it doesn't need a TV screen so isn't affected by the PAL/NTSC divide. The DS should be no different.

#BROKEN Hasney
09-22-2004, 06:33 AM
Why wouldn't it be? :wtf:

The thing that keeps the GB region free is the fact that it's not reliant on power supplies (so mains voltage is never an issue), but more importantly that it doesn't need a TV screen so isn't affected by the PAL/NTSC divide. The DS should be no different.
Some imports have been, but Nintendos havn't. I don't see this being

I personally don't care. If you shop with www.dvdboxoffice.com all the games work out cheaper with free shipping anyway!

Shaggy
09-22-2004, 09:51 AM
DS does not stand for Duel Screen. They said it on TV. They said that it really stood for something else. Im searching like crazy right now to find where it said it at and when I do I will get back to here.

As for the DS i keep on thinking that I want to get it but im not sure. I guess if its coming out in a while that I could consider it. I guess I will need to pick this up but for that much is it really worth it.

#BROKEN Hasney
09-22-2004, 10:56 AM
DS does not stand for Duel Screen. They said it on TV. They said that it really stood for something else. Im searching like crazy right now to find where it said it at and when I do I will get back to here.

As for the DS i keep on thinking that I want to get it but im not sure. I guess if its coming out in a while that I could consider it. I guess I will need to pick this up but for that much is it really worth it. The guy who did the announcement at E3 actually called it the Nintendo Dual Screen :wtf:

Xero
09-22-2004, 11:13 AM
It's been called the DS since it was named that in the code name... As far as it not standing for "Duel Screen", I'm 99% positive that it does stand for that... On the 1% I'm off, we'll most likely never know officially, because they are just calling it the Nintendo DS, even on nintendo.com...

#BROKEN Hasney
09-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Hm, it's not out in Japan until December... How odd

road doggy dogg
09-22-2004, 01:13 PM
This is immense. Hunters would probably cost $30-40 on its own, so you figure the thing itself costs about $100 (with the other game packaged in), not too shabby at all. Definitely gonna pick this thing up.

Animal Crossing DS :cool: :cool:

#BROKEN Hasney
09-22-2004, 01:15 PM
This is immense. Hunters would probably cost $30-40 on its own, so you figure the thing itself costs about $100 (with the other game packaged in), not too shabby at all. Definitely gonna pick this thing up.

Animal Crossing DS :cool: :cool:

:drool::drool::drool:

And then, Wario Ware DS, Mario 64x4 AND a brand new 2D style Mario game.

I've got the missus to pick me one up for Christmas :D

Y2Ant
09-22-2004, 01:43 PM
When are europe getting it :o

#BROKEN Hasney
09-22-2004, 04:28 PM
When are europe getting it :o
January 2005

Y2Ant
09-22-2004, 07:18 PM
:cool:

Kapoutman
09-23-2004, 02:09 PM
That thing looks great.

YOUR Hero
09-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Hmmmm.. Might pick that up for the kids.

Mike the Metal Ed
09-23-2004, 10:08 PM
Hmmmm.. Might pick that up for the kids.

Right... for the KIDS... :shifty:

#BROKEN Hasney
09-29-2004, 05:10 PM
Aw, looks like it's slightly worse, but still awesome none the less

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/news/09/29/dsbox_screen001.jpg

Demo :(

#BROKEN Hasney
10-07-2004, 06:25 PM
DS Launch Titles announced with a Madden 2005 feature too!

Nintendo have announced that American DS owners can expect to see 10-12 DS games being released from a variety of publishers during the DS' 'launch window'. Although not all of these games will be available from day one, the first wave are expected to be on the shelves within 30 days of the DS' American launch. By the end of 2005, Nintendo say the DS catalogue will have swollen to 20-25 games.

Nintendo issued the following (incomplete) list of games planned for the launch window:

* Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
* Madden NFL 2005 (Electronic Arts)
* Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf (Electronic Arts)
* The Urbz: Sims in the City (Electronic Arts)
* Major unannounced title (Activision)
* Ping Pals (THQ)
* Feel the Magic: XY/XX (Sega)
* Rayman DS (Ubisoft)
* Asphalt Urban GT (Ubisoft)
* Ridge Racer DS (Namco)
* Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits (Namco)

Each of these games, Nintendo claim, make special use of the DS' special features. In Madden NFL 2005, for example, one screen will show the position of all the players, while the other focuses on the key action.

Nintendo are very bullish about the support that they've recieved from third-parties, and about the kinds of interesting new game ideas that are made possible by the DS' unique features.

"DS provides the road map to the future of video games," explained Nintendo of America's Reggie Fils-Aime. "The overwhelming support of strong third-party titles, combined with Nintendo's flagship franchise, makes this the strongest software support for any Nintendo system in more than a decade."

Shaggy
10-09-2004, 09:35 PM
The guy who did the announcement at E3 actually called it the Nintendo Dual Screen :wtf:

I just saw the thing again today. It was on tv and they were asking people what they thought it stood for. Yes tons of people saud Duel Screen or Double Screen......The DS actually stands for Developers System.....since this is a break through thing for game developers and gives them a chance to make some new and innovative games.