PDA

View Full Version : The only dissapointing thing about Randy Orton's face turn...

Dark Kane
09-22-2004, 08:23 PM
As much as I love Randy Orton as a performer, always did ever since he first made his debut, the only thing I find dissapointing about his face turn is that there is no more legend killing.

Although, sometimes I wonder, if Randy Orton is still able to kill the legend of all the legendary heel wrestlers. Like, at some point, I know Orton is going to start a feud with Flair.

Even though it was too early to put the belt on Randy, I thought he made a pretty good champ for a start. I do like Randy as a face though, but in order to make Randy Orton into a huge popular face to get over with the fans, he needs to have an entertaining gimmick like the Rock or Stone Cold. Orton needs to come up with memorable catch phrases for the fans to remember and all that. And I do know that WWE wants Randy Orton a huge star in the future for obvious reasons (those obvious reasons are Cowboy Bob Orton, and Bob Orton Sr.)

Thoughts?

The CyNick
09-22-2004, 09:29 PM
If anyone wants they can look back at posts from before the face turn, and basically without patting myslef on the back, I called this one spot on.

Orton has nothing that fans can get behind, no real catchphrases (aside from RKO, which isn't really a ctahcphrase), and the booking has given the fans no real reason to cheer for him.

They totally dropped the ball. If they wanted him to be a face, he shouldn't have won the title from Benoit. They should have had him chase the title with the backstory being that Orton needs to win the title at Mania in order to beomce the youngest champ of all time. Along with the Evoolution storyline.

Or, the more profitable option would have been to keep him as a heel, and build him up as a heel champ with wins over guys like Benoit, Jericho, Edge and HBK.

I have no confiidence that they will book him the right way for the next 6 months in order to make him a legit #1 babyface. I know the ay HHH likes to be booked and by the time Mania rolls around Orton will have done so many JOBs on TV and will have been beaten down so many times, nobody will care about him, just like all the other faces before him.

tasaga
09-22-2004, 09:42 PM
He was much better as a heel. Instead of having him turn either heel or face, I think having him basically be a "loner" would be good. Neutral. Then he would still be able to be the Legend Killer, and RKO both the heels and the faces.

The WWE probably expects him to be a succesful babyface .. nope. I don't think it'll work.

I liked the Evolution split. Orton should have just a few allies and stop at that - like now, Benoit and Benjamin. I hope he doesn't completely turn over as a face.

Dark Kane
09-22-2004, 10:02 PM
Yeah, I guess that's why they dropped the legend killer gimmick 'cause there aren't many legend heels, Ric Flair is obviously the only heel legend on RAW that I know of...but I'm sure Orton will bring the legend killing back just for Flair only, I guess.

Good posts guys.

Funky Fly
09-22-2004, 10:19 PM
WWE are trying to hype HHH as a legend.

Remember JR and King going on about how being a 9 time champ will earn HHH a Hall of Fame spot.

Dark Kane
09-22-2004, 10:28 PM
WWE are trying to hype HHH as a legend.

Remember JR and King going on about how being a 9 time champ will earn HHH a Hall of Fame spot.

That's the exact reason they keep giving the belt back to HHH, WWE wants him a future Hall of Famer/Legend.

The CyNick
09-22-2004, 10:58 PM
That's the exact reason they keep giving the belt back to HHH, WWE wants him a future Hall of Famer/Legend.

Actually Hunter keeps getting the belt back because he wants to win it 17 times in order to prove he's the biggest mark in the world.

Dark Kane
09-23-2004, 07:48 AM
Actually Hunter keeps getting the belt back because he wants to win it 17 times in order to prove he's the biggest mark in the world.

That's just an excuse from one of you HHH haters.

tucsonspeed6
09-23-2004, 06:27 PM
I have no confiidence that they will book him the right way for the next 6 months in order to make him a legit #1 babyface. I know the ay HHH likes to be booked and by the time Mania rolls around Orton will have done so many JOBs on TV and will have been beaten down so many times, nobody will care about him, just like all the other faces before him.

I'm willing to bet against you on this one. Six months from now, if you were right I'll rep you, but if I'm right and he DOES become a legitimate number 1 face in that time, you'll have to rep me. You in?

The CyNick
09-23-2004, 09:11 PM
I'm willing to bet against you on this one. Six months from now, if you were right I'll rep you, but if I'm right and he DOES become a legitimate number 1 face in that time, you'll have to rep me. You in?

I dont even know if I know how to rep people but once I figure it out, I'll rep you just for asking.

There has to be some type of parameters to the bet though. I mean say if Orton headlines Mania as the babyface against HHH. technically that makes him the top babyface. But what I'm saying is that the people wont buy it. If HHH-Orton is the actual "advertsied main event" (like Hogan-McMahon was at Mania 19 or Hogan-Rock was at 18) and the show does over 760,000 buys, I'll say he is a success. If it gets lower than that, and he's the healdiner, he's not a success.

If they dont headline, then I guess we'd have to look at TV numbers and house shows to see if he's had an impact. As a last resort you can take my word as to whether or not they have booked him right. I want to be wrong about this one, but how likely is it, really?