PDA

View Full Version : smackdown spoiler

wrestling_god
01-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Thanks to Cesar Cadena for this report:

Just got back from the Smackdown taping in Laredo, TX. Hopefully they can do miracles in editing because Smackdown live was very disappointing. They kept interrupting the flow of the matches with commercial time (they just dim the lights).

The arena (Laredo Entertainment Center) was about 85% of capacity (8,500 people). Crowd was pretty quiet throughout the night, especially after the interruptions. Here are the matches:

Dark Matches

Jeremy Lopez defeated Mayo Ebner (sorry if I misspell some of the dark matches names but Tony Chimmel doesn't expand much).

Eddie Craven defeated Russell Sipsey.

Velocity

Josh Matthews and Bill DeMott come out to little reaction. Pyros and here we go.
· Orlando Jordan (with New Promo that makes him look more like Taebo's Billy Blaks) and Shannon Moore (without abdominal tapings used last week) defeated Akio and Sakoda, Kyo Dai after Jordan pinned Sakoda with a powerslam. Akio and Moore bumped like crazy. Good match.
· A-Train defeated Funaki in about 90 seconds. Pinned after slam.
· Jamie Noble (w/blind Nidia) defeated Brandon Groom by submission. Some scattered boos but pretty much no reaction.
· The Bashams defeated Jose & Joel Maximo (Los Maximos) with a running senton. The Maximos were announced as from Laredo so crowd backed the local guys. Good match. Shaniqua is very impressive in person.
Out go DeMott and Josh. Here come Michael Cole and Tazz to a good pop.

A promo on last week's match between Hardcore Holly and Shannon Moore vs. Matt Morgan and A-Train with Hardcore's career on the line. Hardcore earns a shot at the WWE title at the Royal Rumble. Pyros and Smackdown starts.

Rey Mysterio defeated Tajiri for the Cruiserweight Championship. Best match of the night by far. Kyo Dai interfered several times during the match but it was mainly about Tajiri and Mysterio. Several two counts by both men ending after Tajiri misted Sakoda by mistake and Mysterio kicked Akio out. Tajiri misses a kick and Mysterio locks the huracanrana. Michael Cole comes out to interview Mysterio in the ring and cuts a promo about how he wanted to win the Championship during 2004 and how much he loved wrestling all around the world. Big pop from the crowd when he was interrupted by Big Show. Show comes to the ring to do a commercial on his T-Shirt completely ignoring Mysterio. Mysterio takes the shirt and after playing with Show with not returning the Shirt, Show threatens him not to throw it into the crowd, which he does. Show starts to beat Mysterio and before the Chokeslam Hardcore Holly comes out for the save with a dropkick to Show's back. He falls on the ropes for a 619 from Mysterio.

Backstage promo shown of Big Show destroying two monitors and throwing a beer keg when Paul Heyman shows up to calm him down. He offers a match against Holly later in the night.

Bradshaw defeated Rhyno with the Clothesline from Hell. Match was very quiet and gave Bradshaw a small pop during his exit.

Another backstage promo is shown of John Cena calling Heyman a coward for not going to Iraq. He says that he is very patriotic, as he believes that America is the land of opportunities and he will give Cena a chance to enter the Rumble for an opportunity at the WWE Championship. However he will face, with a partner of his choosing, the FBI in a handicap match. However, the match is next so his partner will be whoever is available on the way. If he was to lose, he and his partner will be out of the Rumble.

Out come Johnny Stamboli, Nunzio and Chuck Palumbo. John Cena comes out and does a rap on how he had to wrestle the three stooges, that their door opened the wrong way (directed at Palumbo) and that F stood for Stupid as F..., B for how they were full of bull**** and I on how "I am about to kick your a**". Out comes Chris Benoit and offers to be his partner. Match was Ok with Cena mostly on the receiving end. Benoit gets the hot tag gives each member of the FBI German Suplexes (with release to protect the other wrestlers), goes for the flying headbutt and fives Stamboli the Crossface. While Cena gave Palumbo de F U, Stamboli tapped so Benoit and Cena are in the Rumble.

Divas Undressed with Torrie Wilson commercial is shown.

Backstage promo shows Dawn Marie asking Paul Heyman for the Smackdown magazines he promised. Chris Benoit shows up to make fun on how he was in the Royal Rumble and how he would become WWE Champion. Heyman called Benoit regular or working (or something of the sort) people like the ones that attend Smackdown and how he is management. Management always makes sure working people don't make it to the top and to make sure Benoit doesn't win, he will be number 1 in the Rumble. Promo ends with Benoit twisting Heyman's arm and leaving him in pain.

Rikishi and Scotty Too Hotty come out to face the Bashams for the titles. However, the Bashams come from the back and with Shaniqua beat both. She did a rather ugly slam on Scotty who seemed to be holding his neck. Then the Bashams cut a promo on how Rikishi and Scotty did not deserve a shot at the titles. I guess it was a DQ.

Here comes our Olympic Hero Kurt Angle to a nice pop. He cuts a long promo on how he is proud of the troops and of the sacrifices they do for us. He says he can't fight but he will do it in the ring... he will enter the Rumble for the troops.

Scenes from the trip to Iraq are shown. Same ones as the ones shown on Confidential.

Video package of Billy Gunn shown on the screen announcing his return in the Royal Rumble.

Backstage promo shows Mysterio celebrating with Eddie Guerrero, Shannon Moore, Orlando Jordan with Eddie congratulating Rey and saying he was so happy for Rey's win that he wanted to enter the Royal Rumble. Chavo shows up and calls Eddie asking him not to be selfish as they are Los Guerreros and he needs to concentrate on that. They have a match coming up.

The World's Greatest Tag Team defeated Los Guerreros when Charlie Haas pinned Chavo after a brutal kick by Shelton Benjamin. Match showed signs of Chavo turning heel by refusing to tag Eddie (Eddie had to provoke Shelton Benjamin to come into the ring) and when the ref pushed Benjamin back, Eddie pulled Chavo, who was down towards his corner, to make the tag and clean house. However, when he was going for the 5 star, Chavo tagged him and took forever for his 5 star so Charlie Haas raised his knees before the kick and pin.

After the match, Chavo blamed Eddie for the loss and told him he was tired that everywhere they went, people only chanted "Eddie". Chavo slapped Eddie and after a long while that he waited before responding, out comes Kurt Angle, running to separate the two. Chavo left first, then Angle, leaving Eddie waiting until after the commercial was over.

Backstage package was shown with Angle trying to calm Eddie. Kurt accuses Eddie of being at fault for being selfish when trying to enter the Rumble. Angle told Eddie he entered the Royal Rumble for the troops but Eddie had to back Chavo because it was family. Seemed like a hint that Angle may turn heel again.

People started leaving the arena after the Eddie bit was over.

In the main event, Big Show defeated Hardcore Holly via DQ. Match was back and forth and when Big Show took control, out came Mysterio with a chair. He climbed on the top rope but Show hit the chair with his fist nailing Mysterio. Holly grabs the chair and gives Show a pretty nasty beat down with the chair being DQed in the process. Holly and Mysterio leave triumphantly and a bleeding and psychotic Big Show is left in the ring to end the Show.

No post-Smackdown anything. Tony Chimmel thanked the crowd.

I am sure they will edit some of the boos and the quiet crowd. Terrible show from my perspective.

Biggest pops
Kurt Angle
Rey Mysterio after the win
Eddie Guerrero
Irak video package

Biggest Heat
Paul Heyman
Chavo after slapping Eddie
Big Show

The One
01-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Um....we already have a thread with SmackDown spoilers in it...

Corkscrewed
01-02-2004, 02:56 AM
Looks like they editted the order of the matches around, though. :( for Rhyno, who got totally buried in his match.

Savio
01-02-2004, 03:15 AM
I thought the matches were good but the story lines were weak. Plus no main event

wrestling_god
01-02-2004, 06:16 PM
I thought the matches were good but the story lines were weak. Plus no main event
Big Show vs. Holly was main event but for some reason when it got aired they switched the order of matches in the last hour

The CyNick
01-02-2004, 06:57 PM

Los Guerreros vs WGTT

And I actually thought this was a strong stroyline show:

Rey wins the title in his hometown (thats a good story)

Big Show comes out and shows why the WWE will never get over the CW division (bad story telling)

Holly kinda snaps with a steel chair (good story telling)

Heyman tries to screw Cena out of a spot at the Rumble, but Cena overcomes it and gets Benoit in the Rumble as well. However Hyeman gets the last laugh by making Benoit #1 (great story telling)

Kurt Angle plants seeds for heel turn with the "I'm doing this for my country" speech (dont agree with the decision, but it was a good set up for the turn)

Los Guerreros almost break up because Chavo thinks Eddie is selfish (dont agree with doing this fued, but if they have to do it, its pretty good story telling)

So there you have it, I thought the show advanced a lot of storylines, a lot more than they did for almost all of December.