PDA

View Full Version : They need to make a sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics

road doggy dogg
10-08-2004, 02:00 AM
That would be so killer, best game of all time.

Think about it. FFT's story was, simply put, awesome. So deep, with all the twists and turns and betrayals and everything. I loved it. Normally I hate stuff dealing with religion and shit, but it was more about the politics and shit about it, kinda hot. :mad: Probably one of the best stories in any FF game (imo). Plus the gameplay itself is unmatched. The turn-based battles were excellent, and the game as a whole was pretty balanced. What I absolutely loved about the game was the ability to fully customize your own party.

Now, I know this has probably been discussed a bazillion times on like gamefaqs or something, but I don't give a shit since I don't read any other video games forums. Imagine how insane a new FFT would be, with a new story (maybe extend the original's, although that seems kind of ridiculous since like all the characters died, lol), and on the PS2. New graphics/sound and shit, and even better, online play. I dunno how far they'd take it, since FFXI is out and pretty popular, and I doubt they'd want to make a fully online FFT since FFXI is already a pretty deep game with different classes and such already. But I mean, if they just added a simple online mode where you can take any group of 5 units and pit them against an online opponent's group of 5, that would be awesome. Of course some balancing issues would be needed, like taking Orlandu out or something since he is teh cheese. I dunno, it would be hot to have a nice deep story, with similar gameplay. Maybe some slight improvements or something, but if it ain't broke don't fix it (a la FFT:Advance). Don't get me wrong, FFT:A is still a fun game, but doens't come close to the awesomeness of the original.

I don't know, since I bought my PS2 I've been playing FFT a shitload and forgot how fucking great the game was. Must play moreeeeee

Boomer
10-08-2004, 02:04 AM
Played it on an emulator before I got a modded PS1. Always wanted to go back and get past where I was, but I got a modded PS2 now so there is soooo much to play

I agree though. Made me reminise over Shining Force.

RBM
10-08-2004, 02:06 AM
My favorite game of all time. I would scoop out my left nut with a rusty spork for all to see on my webcam if that's what it would take to have a proper sequel (or maybe a whole series) of this game.

FFT is pure :heart:

road doggy dogg
10-08-2004, 02:09 AM
How does FFXI compare to it RBM :mad:

I'm still unsure of whether or not I should buy that :'(

Hired Hitman
10-08-2004, 02:28 AM
It's not like Final Fantasy to not make a sequel.

RBM
10-08-2004, 02:30 AM
Hrm...well, FFXI is of course an MMO game and has that feel to it. Although, the job system is awesome and will bring back memories of FFT. You can become anything with just one character. You even get a subjob, so you can mix in abilities from other jobs, sort of similar to Tactics.

Each job has an artifact armor set, which will make your character look alot like how they look in FFT and previous FF games. You get it at lvl 40-41 for the weapon and then 52,54,56,58 and 60 for the armor pieces. Well... you don't just get it. You have to quest for it, but most of it is pretty quality gear. It sounds like it would take forever to get to that point, but once you see the armor, it's instant memories of Tactics.

Seriously... once you see a dragoon or a samurai walking past you in full AF armor you'll be like "OMFG LKJLKSJDGLSJDGLS:DKJG I WANT IT. FFT IS GREATNESS"

I'm a lvl 56 white mage and I have my artifact weapon and boots and I'm close to working on getting the rest of the gear. Then I'll be the man. :cool:

So yeah, I know that people are skeptical about paying 15ish dollars a month for a game, but it's something that will be well worth your money. There's so much to do and accomplish in it, that you'll be kept busy for a ridiculous amount of hours. Even moreso than any Blizzard game made. It's a good game. The whole job system and gear looks will bring back memories of the greatness of FFT. GO GET IT.

road doggy dogg
10-08-2004, 02:39 AM
You should work for Square in marketing. :mad:

I'm just worried though... how long ago did FFXI come out? Is it still being heavily updated/worked on by Square? I don't wanna go shell out $100 for the game/hard drive, only for the popularity of it to dwindle down in 4 months or something. :'( I'm still kind of debating whether or not I wanna get this or WoW. 'Cause I kinda figured, like you said, that this would have a bit of a resemblance to FFT, so that sounds awesome. Plus, my PC is a bit shitty so I probably won't be able to run WoW on here anyways, lol :o

road doggy dogg
10-08-2004, 02:40 AM
Actually, did they recently release an expansion for it or something? I could've sworn I saw something like that when I was at Best Buy the other day

RBM
10-08-2004, 02:53 AM
FFXI has been out in America for a year now. Japan had it for a year and a half before us and Europe just got it this past month. Yes, a brand new expansion was released with the release of the game in Europe. I'm disappointed that they didn't add new jobs (well, yet anyways) but they did add 40 new areas to the game.

So no, this game is not going to be neglected. That's the beauty of monthly pay MMO's. they have added content and continual maintennance and anti-hacking checks on a monthly basis. The real question here is how much you think you could get into this type of game. I personally think you'd enjoy it alot. A much better investment than throwing $50 at a game that you'll only touch for a week. You'll be playing and enjoying yourself in this game for a damn long time. I've had the game for a year and I went out and bought the expansion. I've paid the monthly fees and I don't regret it. It's kept me entertained and occupied longer than any other game I've played.

road doggy dogg
10-08-2004, 03:07 AM
I've never really played an MMORPG so I'm still a bit intimidated by it :mad: I'll probably play a bit with you when I start, but times when you're not around or whatever, I don't know if I'll be able to play well enough on my own :o It might get a bit boring not having anyone around to play with :o I dunno though, if there's enough single-player quests and shit it should be fine :mad:

Dammit, probably gonna pick it up when I get my next paycheck now, asshoel

RBM
10-08-2004, 03:12 AM
PWNED. GG.

I'll be able to help you and give you tips and whatnot to get you going. After that, you'll be fine. I have a second character, so I could lvl something with you as well. There's lots of quests and lots of jobs you can play around with. If you definitely want to get it, then hit me up on aim in the next couple of days and we'll have a chat on what type of char you want to make and what race, etc. I'll hook you up with a world pass to my server and whatnot. If you found Diablo II enjoyable for as long as you did, then you'll definitely enjoy this game, considering it has 234234234324 times more stuff. =P

Ant and all the rest of you nubcaeks that might possibly be interested in trying it out or jumping ship to a different MMO should consider it. I can get you on my server and help you out with things and stuff.

road doggy dogg
10-08-2004, 03:17 AM
Yeah I'll talk to you sometime tomorrow about it, got work in the morning so I'm off to bed :rant:

And just so I have something to read in the morning; do you have the expansion? Is it mandatory to buy to play with you (if you do have it)? I'll probably pick it up anyways, just to be safe. :o ALSO, I know I probably asked you before on AIM, but I forget... what jobs are there, exactly? I want something bad-ass like a Ninja or Samurai... hook me up with a job listing or something :rant: Give me more reasons to buy the game, or something. ;) Dammit need to get to bed, probably gonna go play FFT for like 3 more hours though :'(

RBM
10-08-2004, 04:32 AM
I have the expansion, yeah. You won't need it to play with me or anything as people can still play on the server and stuff.

Jobs, eh? Well, first off I'll tell you that this is a very party oriented game. Parties generally consist of 6 people. Each party needs a tank, a healer, damage dealers and maybe a support job.

When you start the game up, you have to choose between one of the 6 basic jobs. Once you hit lvl 18 with your chosen job, you can do the quest for the subjob. This allows you to use abilites from another job, but only at half the level of your main jobs. (I am a lvl 56 whm/ 28 blm for example) Once you reach lvl 30 with a job, you can do quests to unlock the advanced jobs.

BASIC JOBS:

Warrior - the basic melee fighter job. Warriors can equip tons of different weapons and heavy armors. This job is quite popular for use as a subjob for most melee jobs. Early on, this job is a tank job, but later on it's mainly used as a damage dealing job. very versatile melee job. It has an extremely important ability called provoke, which allows you to keep the "hate" on you. ie. the monster stays pissed off at you and keeps attacking you. They also get double attack, and berserk/defender/aggresor, which all boost something at the cost of something else. Good subs for warrior are thief, monk and ninja.

Monk - damage dealing job. Monks are a pretty underrated job in the game. They attack twice due to using hand to hand weapons. They have the beloved FFT abilites such as counter, chakra, high HP, etc. Unfortunately, they are a job that kinda has a hard time getting parties at higher lvls. Almost every monk goes with warrior as a subjob, since monks can be backup tanks.

Thief- damage dealing/ hate control job. Thieves are gimps until lvl 15, when they learn sneak attack. This ability lets you do a super critical hit if you hit an enemy from behind, and can be used every minute. After lvl 30, they learn the ability trick attack, which basically when used, tricks the monster into thinking someone else hit it, so that it attacks the other person. A useful tool in getting the monster to 'hate' the tank. Thieves also get an assload of nice abilites, such as stealing and mugging, 'flee' which lets you run really fast for half a minute. They can hide. Passive bonuses to gold drops, evasion and even item drops. Thieves can pick treasure chests in dungeons. Thief is a popular subjob for other melee classes. Subjobs that people like to use with thf, is generally either warrior or ninja.

White mage- healer. yeah, pretty straight forward here. You learn all the curing spells, protect and shell spells, the status cure spells and the raise spells. A few damage spells as well. A very important job to have in a party, especially early on. In higher lvls, other jobs can function as a healer, but no job is as effecient as a white mage. They learn a passive HP regen ability, along with boosts to magic defense and how much MP you regain while resting. White mage is a popular job to use as a sub, because heals aren't really weakened when you sub it. A good sub for any mage class. black mage and summoner are the two most common subs for whm.

Black mage- damage dealer. You do a shit load of damage with this job, but you have to learn how to regulate the damage done, or the monster will start focusing on you and black mages are one of the weakest jobs in terms of taking hits. They get passive boosts to magic damage, an ability that makes spells cost less sometimes, and boost to MP while healing. Tons of spells to learn. All the different elemental spells we all love and remember from previous FF games, and they also learn ancient magic, which is high lvl magic such as flare. black mage is a popular sub for white mage and red mage. whm or rdm and sometimes even summoner make for good blm subs.

Red mage- support job. Red mages can do a little bit of everything, basically. THey can use swords and heavier armor than any other mage job in the game. They can use elemental magic for damage dealing and also cure spells. They are the best at debuffing the monsters, though. Casting slow and blind and spells that lower the monsters effectiveness. Also, they get a few exclusive spells that are important to people such as dispel and refresh. Once a red mage learns refresh (an MP regen spell) they never have problems getting parties again. red mage isn't a particularly good sub for any job, but it works for mage jobs. Both blm and whm jobs make good subs for rdm.

ADVANCED JOBS:

Summoner- support job. Summoners summon avatars into battles. Avatars can fight while out, but they drain MP during their duration. Every avatar has multiple abilities that they can use, called blood pacts. Which could either heal, buff, or even damage the enemy. Most of them are extremely useful spells to have. The annoying part about this job is that other than Carbuncle, you have to fight the avatars in order to acquire them. Something to shoot for and you can be proud of having them and whatnot, though. Summoners have assloads of MP with boosts and even get an auto-refresh ability. You pretty much have to have white mage as a subjob for this job, but smn itself makes an ok sub for other mage jobs.

Bard- support job. A very coveted job. Bards play songs on instruments that give the whole party buffs and benefits. HP regen, mp regen, attack boosts, accuracy boost, etc. These songs cost 0 mana to use, but you can only have 2 song effects on each member of your party. Bards also get several offensive songs, such as lullaby to put things to sleep and songs that lower elemental resistances. They don't get much in terms of passive or abilites, but they get ALOT of songs. Almost all bards sub white mage. Bard is a terrible job to use as a sub, because if it isn't your main job, you only get 1 song effect because you can't equip an instrument.

Paladin- tank job. THE tank job of the game. Paladins can equip heavy armors and they arent a job that deals too much damage with their weapons. They get the best defense in the game and the ability to cure. They are the best job at keeping hate. They have a very easy time finding parties. They have the cover ability, which should bring back memories of past FF games. Paladins HAVE to sub warrior when partying for experience, in order to get that provoke and defender ability. Paladin is never used as a sub for another job.

Ninja- tank job. I know that sounds odd, becuase you probably think of ninja as being a damage dealing job or an assassin type job, but nope.... Nin's get the dual wield ability, which of course rules and makes them a popular job for subs on other jobs. Nin's deal weak damage, though. They also get ninjutsu spells, which don't cost MP, but use ninja tools instead. These tools are expendable, so this makes ninja's an expensive job. Nin's are loved for a spell in particular called Utsusemi. This allows them to make shadow images of themselves, which absorb several attacks without taking damage, allowing for ninjas to tank monsters. Without this spell, they can't tank though. they don't equip too heavy of armors. They must sub warrior for provoke while tanking. They pretty much have to tank, as they can't do anything else effeciently.

Dragoon- damage dealing job. Dragoons equip polearms (spears) and fairly heavy armor. They get the beloved jump ability, which deals decent damage and sheds hate. One different thing about them is that they have pet wyverns, or little baby dragons. these dragons attack and can even use special abilities with the dragoon. dragoons start having a semi hard time getting parties later on in the game. Warrior and thf are the two most popular subs for dragoon. Drg isn't used as a sub by any job.

Dark Knight- damage dealing job. (think Cecil early on in FF2 here) This job does the highest physical damage in the game. Scythe or greatsword is generally a drk's weapon of choice. They get several passive attack damage boosts while also getting other activatable abilites that can boost damage, but with some sort of negative downside as the price. Drk's also learn some black magic, with drain (hp regen) aspir (mp regen) and absorb spells being the most important. Warrior and thief is the most popular of choices for a sub for drk. Drk isn't used as a sub by any job.

Samurai- damage dealing job. Samurais can use polearms, but they excel with great katanas. they can use fairly heavy armor. A samurai is the best at building and using TP. Tp is a gauge that builds while you fight, and when it reaches 100, you can use a special attack called a weapon skill. They get passive bonuses to TP building, as well as an awesome ability called meditate, which when used, instantly fills the TP gauge to 100. Again, warrior and thf are the most popular subs for samurai. SAM is an ok sub for melee jobs, due to TP gain.

Beastmaster- solo job. Yeah, this is the oddball job in the game that basically lets you play alone. As a beastmaster, you charm monsters to fight for you. They can do most things in the game by themselves and rarely ever party with other people.

Ranger- damage dealing job. The best damage dealing job in the game. It's also the most expensive job in the game. Rangers use bows and guns to deal their damage. Unfortunately, you have to buy stacks of ammo, which can get expensive. They are loved in parties, but you have to be pretty hardcore to support this job. Warrior and thief make good subs for ranger, but ninja is the most popular due to the fact that it allows them to dual wield knives that give good stat boosts to ranged accuracy. also utsusemi spell is nice to save the ranger, if he accidentally deals too much damage. The only job that might use ranger as a sub is samurai.

So yeah...that's all the jobs. It all really depends on what type of a role you want in a party. Healer? support? damage dealing? tanking? Also, keep in mind that certain races excel at certain jobs, so you'll have to think about what race you want as well. I'll talk more about that tomorrow, though. I needs ma sleep now.

Jonster
10-08-2004, 08:38 AM
I wish they'd released it over here :(

Y2Ant
10-08-2004, 11:01 AM
FFXI sounds pretty hot

Would I be able to play with you american nubs?

road doggy dogg
10-08-2004, 11:10 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Bard though :mad: Worst class in FFT, I don't think I could bring myself to using it. :'(

Kinda odd about the Ninja being a tank... that shadow spell thing sounds pretty hot, but generally you'd think that Ninjas would be more about doing damage fast without getting hit, type dealie. :o

Some of the little touches sound hot though... like Monks having 2 attacks is FFV all over again :love: God that game is fun.

Damn... I'm torn now. I want to get this game, but I know if I do I probably won't get WoW. Stupid gaming industry :mad:

Apocolyptik1
10-08-2004, 01:46 PM
I played FFXI, and I enjoyed it while I played it. I stopped playing it a while back because I got a new job that required more time then my previous one.

It was a fun game, I had a level 30 war/30 sam/35 monk/42 thf. I kept getting bored after 30 and going to a new class.

The game was really fun, but everyone all looks the same. Its like, once you reach a certain level, like say 10, you would wanna get scale mail for your guy or a tunic if you are another caster class, but everyone else who is level 10 also is all wearing scale mail. It is a really fun game, just little to no room for any kind of customization to make your guy look different. This was one thing I didnt like about it.

Like he said earlier, the job armor looks really cool, but you will see like 200 samurai all wearing the same thing all around one city, some even looking exactly the same because they also have very little customization for how your character looks like facial and hair wise.

The server's can get really laggy right when you get around auction houses because hundreds of people gather around them. A lot of japanese people who are playing dont even play. They sit their and have bots synthesize stuff for them or have bots do their craft skills.

In most areas where you would go to gain levels, it is also usually always over-crowded. I started out in San d'Oria, so my ideal way to get exp was to solo until 10, then party in the La thiene Plateau, then go the desert, then to Qufim, then to Khazam, and blah blah blah. Most of these areas like the Desert, Qufim, and Khazam are stocked full of guys and you sometimes have to fight to get into parties. RBM being a white mage (and I can gaurantee this) had no trouble at all getting into parties, but most classes that tank or do dmg have a hard time doing it because their is a lot of competition in the tank classes. This is another thing I did not like. It could take hours to get into a party at Khazam, which is a jungle island out in the middle of the ocean, and its either party to get exp, or solo. Solo'ing after level 15 gets really, really slow, unless you use some that can melee and use cure spells, like a paladin or red mage.

Another thing I didnt like is how all the bosses that drop good items, like set bosses called NM's, are always being camped by someone whenever you go to find them. The japanese are really bad about this. They will kill the monster and get whatever item it dropped, then sell the item for way more then what it is actually worth. The americans are actually good about selling items, but if you ever try to get something from the japanese, its costs an arm and a leg. I remember when I got 42, I was just walking around and remember about this one NM that spawns every night and always drops this one item worth about 15k gil. The monster was called a Spook I think, or something along those lines, and he dropped a travelers cloak, and all it did was give like 3 to defense and +3 to evasion, but he is an easy kill at 42 so it is an easy 15k gil. I get all the way to him just to see him being "camped" by 6 or 7 japanese players, all well into their 50th level and as soon as he spawns, one of them runs over to him and kills him in 2 hits, then he just leaves and everyone is standing around with their thumbs in their asses.

I think I would still be playing it to this day, but I know that when EQ2 comes out, FFXI will loose a lot of players because most people who play FFXI are "taking a break from EQ". When WoW comes out, I know this is what I will be addicted to. I had a friend who had the beta and it was fairly fun and allowed for a lot of customization, and the fact that you can pick allies or horde, then raid each others town with a buntch of other people is really cool.

I love FFT but could never get past that one guy. You have to fight him by yourself at first then after you beat him, he morphs into this monster and then other guys come and then you get to bring the rest of your party in. It was so hard for me. I guess I didnt level my guys high enough before I got to him. The really bad thing was, I saved the game right before the battle starts, so I cant go back and level because as soon as I start, its on for my life. Safe to say I am still stuck and havent gone back to replay it yet.

I did however pick up Star Ocean for the ps2 and was not disappointed. The game has a really good story line, decent graphics, good full motion video, and the battle system is excellent. Its real time based, rather then turn based. You get on the battle field and then run around sorta like zelda, but you have 3 people at one time. You get skills and magic to use in battle, and can do all sorts of combos and stuff. If you like rpg's this game is a definite rent, then buy it when you turn out to like it.

Also for all the people who like FFT, their is a game called Front Mission 4 that is also a strat game built by square-enix, for the ps2. It is a really fun rpg also that is set in the future. You get to control Mechs, customize their weapons and stuff, and its got a good story line also. I would also suggest you give this game a try.

LoDownM
10-08-2004, 01:56 PM
FFXI sounds pretty hot

Would I be able to play with you american nubs?

Yes. As long as you got on the same server as who your tring to play with.

Also, have they added PVP yet? I kinda lost intrest in the game :-\

RBM
10-08-2004, 06:37 PM
Yeah Ant all the Japs, Americans and Europeans share servers and I can get you on my server quite easily. And anyone else that might be interested. We could all play together. I have a few other friends that play, so we could most likely get a near full party that could lvl a certain job together and never have to worry about the problems of finding a party.

Yeah, it's odd that ninja's are tanks in the game. They actually are alot about evasion and they do attack quickly with their dual wield swords, but the damage is low.

Apocolyptik, I agree with the annoyance of the problems you stated, but most of those plague almost every MMO. =P camping for rare items, overcrowdedness, etc. The new expansion added 40 new areas, and I've read about them supposedly doing more in terms of customization, which should be nice.

There is a PVP aspect in the game called Ballista matches. I'm not really sure how it works. Some sort of regional tournament type setup thing or something. It's not pure PvP like some might like, but it's something at least. I read they plan on adding airship battles some time soon, so that should be cool.

Requiem
10-08-2004, 06:39 PM
Final Fantasy XI.....

LOL

That's all I have to say about that... what a joke of a game. So many better MMORPGs out there.

Requiem
10-08-2004, 06:41 PM
Oh, and I imagine if it's your first, you might like it... but anyone who has played and enjoyed this gaming genre before will probably agree how much shit it is.

DS
10-08-2004, 06:56 PM
I liked it a lot.

Requiem
10-08-2004, 06:58 PM
Traitor....

Requiem
10-08-2004, 06:59 PM
How long did you actually play it for?

DS
10-08-2004, 07:03 PM
About 2 months...it was a beta so it closed.

Requiem
10-08-2004, 07:08 PM
Ah.. I know people that played it for 2-3 months, and got bored shitless (after release), and for some it was their FIRST MMORPG.. heh

It's like that City of Heros game. I imagine it's fun at first... but from what I've read, and heard from people, there is no long-term, or end-game quality about it.

RBM
10-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Care to elaborate on what makes it a shit game? Yes, this is my first major MMO game. I've also played beta in Lineage II and I didn't like that, and I had City of Heroes and didn't like that.

I know alot of people that have played well... every MMO game that comes out and alot of them *gasp* choose FFXI over everything else out there.

The biggest complaint people have with FFXI that are avid MMO fans, is that it doesn't have a dedicated or elaborate PvP system. Of course people that bitch about a lack of PvP are retarded. PvP is shit.

So if you arguement has anything at all to do with PVP, don't bother typing, I've already won.

Requiem
10-08-2004, 07:40 PM
LOL. Care to 'elaborate' on why you don't like PvP then? You don't even seem to realize how stupid you sound by saying "So if you arguement has anything at all to do with PVP, don't bother typing, I've already won." Any game without some sort of organized and balanced PvP is doomed to failure already, because they're cutting out 25% of all MMORPG players right there. And don't give me that "Only d00ds and morons PvP", because you couldn't be farther from the truth. You sounded nothing but close-minded with a lot of those statements.

That is an end-game for a LOT of people when the actual game gets boring. My main complaint about the game was its class system. Couldn't stand it compared to most other games.. Hell, I play Everquest, and I don't even like its class system really. I played Asheron's Call for 4 years, and regardless of how outdated its graphics are now, I'd gladly return to it if I could afford to play because of the simple gameplay, the elaborate skill system, and the storyline of the game. Plus, FFXI felt too stiff for me. Also, too group oriented, which is a huge complaint I -still- have about Everquest, but I have real life friends who play that, so it makes up for it.

I'd advise going and playing some of the older MMORPGs, and -then- going to the newer ones. Asheron's Call, Everquest, Ultima Online... those were the big three for years, and Everquest is still on top of the genre after years and years of going strong, yet it's one of the most outdated out there.

RBM
10-08-2004, 08:57 PM
HAHAHA, I must be psychic. What a surprise that it came down to having something to do with PvP.

If I wanted to challenge other people in competition, I would choose a genre that took skill to play instead of an MMO game. You'd have to stray quite far from what online RPGs are and how the whole control structure works before it would actually become fun in my eyes.

MMO's are giant chat rooms where you do virtual chores. There are of course senses of accomplishment and the whole feeling of community, which is nice, but MMO's are skill-less games. That's what makes them rather appealing. Trying to induce a sense of pseudo-skill into a genre that has no real place for it, is just stupid. It still boils down to random numbers and who spent the most time acquiring the best gear. Hey, have fun with PvP in MMOs, but I'm more than happy to not touch it. Where did you pull this 25% number out of?

Lol, a buddy of mine from FFXI just messaged me. Got to talking about PvP in FFXI, since I'm quite clueless as to how it works. He's played in it, and he thinks the FFXI PvP system is awesome. The games he's played prior to this? Everquest, Asheron's Call 1 and 2, Planetside. Did you even give ballista a try? Or did you quit before it was implemented?

Funny. The class system is something that alot of people find enjoyable about the game. You can be anything in the game with the same character. Pretty nice, in my opinion. It just seems to me that you played these other older games for so long and are overly critical of how the newer MMO's should work.

Too group oriented? I suppose I agree to a point when at higher levels you need an alliance of 12 or a full alliance of 18 to get certain things done, but other than that, partying is what makes the game enjoyable. I would think the game would become rather boring pretty quickly if everyone could just solo the whole game. What would the point be? Loner grinding competitions? No thanks. I'll stick to my perma party for XPing and my linkshell of real life friends for exploration and other accomplishments.

Why would I check out an older MMO game? I need only look at my friends that HAVE played those games and have decided that FFXI is better. Do you honestly think anyone will all of a sudden by like "you know what? After playing these other games, I'm going to jump to them! They are so much better!" I enjoy FFXI. I've had it for a year now. FFXI is insanely popular and growing by the day. If these other older games are supposedly the pinnacle of MMO gaming, then well... all my friends that were playing the other ones would have stayed with them.

So yeah, whatever. Don't like it, keep not playing it. Stick to your other games that I don't give a shit about. I'll try to remember to jump into the next thread about an MMO you enjoy and be like "LOL this game sucks. so much better shit out there. Everyone that knows anything clearly hates this game." After all, ignorance is always fun.

Also, this thread should have never gotten off the subject at hand. The greatness of Final Fantasy Tactics.

DS
10-08-2004, 09:18 PM
Any game without some sort of organized and balanced PvP is doomed to failure already, because they're cutting out 25% of all MMORPG players right there.
That still leaves 75% and a game can be a huge success with that number. But I do agree the game was very group oriented. If you wanted to level that is.

If they made a FFT Online, I'm sure that would go places.

Requiem
10-08-2004, 09:35 PM
Actually, it didn't have to do with PvP.. That wasn't one of my reasons for not liking the game. I just asked why -you- don't like PvP. You even admitted you didn't know about it in the game.

I gave my reasons for not liking the game, and actually several are why new games are shit in my mind. Too many companies are -forcing- grouping in order to get anything done. I prefer the choice as to wether I want to group, or solo. I despise class systems where when you choose a class, that is what you are restricted to. (Hell, even though I play Everquest, I hate the class system for that sole reason. I can't mix and match to my liking.) And, that it didn't have an end-game experience that I cared for.

And as I said, if this is your first MMORPG then YES, you probably will LOVE IT. I didn't say you should try the older games because you'd like them better. In fact, by now you would probably hate them, due to this game being your first.

It's a fact though that with the MAJORITY of people in the MMOG genre, the early games are superior for the sole fact that it is what got them hooked. In years to come, I'm willing to bet that you'll be playing the 'next big thing', and will look back and still wish that this new game had the things from FF-XI, even if you're enjoying yourself in the new game. I see it all the time on various gaming boards.
One day, you'll be the one making a post similar to mine, and then you'll understand why it sucks to have to adjust to an entirely new way that companies seem to be making games now.

No need to get so hostile. :roll:

Requiem
10-08-2004, 09:46 PM
Oh, and I didn't mean to sound like an asshole when I said it was shit. I just get so aggrivated about mentions of certain games. Like I said, one day you'll understand why 'newer games' suck, when they come out with other newer games and FF-XI becomes obsolete years down the road.

RBM
10-08-2004, 10:25 PM
I'm not being hostile. This thread had to do with the greatness of Final Fantasy Tactics and then was shifted a bit by the creator of the thread to compare FFT to FFXI. You then came into the thread laughing about how shitty it is. Maybe I should've just ignored your post, but oh well. Nothing against you personally, just that type of thing annoys me.

I have a hard time finding a game to be shitty, unless it's without a doubt, a big pile of barely playable horse shit. I'm not close-minded. Yes, I hate the whole aspect of PvP, always have. I have done PvP before in games, I just haven't done it in FFXI. Still, I would never think or say anything to the effect of "omg everquest is so old and shitty and outdated." Or any of those other games. They clearly aren't shitty. They've sold quite well and helped pave the way for a fast growing genre of online gaming.

It's not my first MMORPG, but it's the first one that I seriously got into and have been playing for a year now. I don't exactly love it. I can still see this genre for what it is, and it barely passes for a game in reality. But I enjoy this game because... well, it entertains me. I could sit here and point out it's strengths compared to other games, but I've typed more in the past two days on these boards than I have the past two years, so no thanks. You like your MMO games, and I like mine.

I'm not really sure on what you mean with your class system arguement. You don't want jobs that are supposed to perform specific tasks? You want a character that can simply do everything at any time? To each their own, I guess =\ It could use for more customization, though.

I'm not new to games and this isnt' the only genre where you sit back and wish this and that and start remembering about the games you knew and loved from years back. However, my 'hostility' has less to do with what you said, and more to do with how you went about saying it.

Requiem
10-08-2004, 10:31 PM
Yeah, didn't mean to word it like I did. But about the class thing. One system I've been hooked on since I started playing this genre was the one used in Asheron's Call.

You had a certain amount of points that you could put into your attributes (things like strength, dex.. etc..), and then a certain amount to use to buy skills. The skills were based off of your attributes. I just fell in love with this system, and it bothers me when I can only be 'classes', and can't really create my own templates that thoroughly mix things. I also liked the fact that if you made the wrong choices, you could gimp yourself. This took away from the 'cookie-cutter' classes in so many games today. In a lot of games, you're only as good as another person of the same level and class as you, and then it relies on your -equipment-.

*shrugs* I'm still stuck on my first game. It had so much customization that no two characters were the same unless you actually planned it that way. -Then-, equipment came into play. You could be actually worse than someone of your same level and 'class' (class, so to speak..), but your equipment might give you the right boost to put you on the same level as them. I just liked the choices and stuff.. =\

RBM
10-08-2004, 10:45 PM
That's not a bad system. It sounds like a more intricate version of Diablo's system, or maybe a D&D game or something. Choices are nice and I'd welcome something like that. However, I also personally like restrictions as well. I like having a role to fulfill. I've always enjoyed things like Team Fortress in quake instead of the normal game, because I liked the idea of being something specific and sticking to that. (although mindless deathmatches with every weapon and full ammo were fun as well).

Also, I plan on checking out Guild Wars, which is a game where there is no monthly fee, but it's still an MMO based game where PVP is the main drive of the game. Apparently, it's customizable with skills and stats or something. Have a few friends in the alpha.

Requiem
10-08-2004, 10:53 PM
Yeah. In Everquest, you have a role to fill and such, and in nearly all new games you have roles to fill. I just like the old way that was used in AC, because you had a role there too, depending on how you molded your character. You could be melee, archer, or a mage of sorts, or if you wanted any of the above mixed together.. Then you could also be more for offence or defence again depending on the skills.

I've had fun in both types of games, and if FF-XI had a system close to that, I'd probably enjoy it.

Also, I've heard some pretty good things about Guild Wars too. It looks nice.

I'm waiting for World of Warcraft though right now. It's combining the 'good' aspects from many previous and current games, and taking out things that people didn't seem to like. Nothing new really, but it looks good too.

RBM
10-08-2004, 11:10 PM
I plan on checking out WoW as well, since I'm a huge fan of Blizzard. I've heard good things and then I've heard bad things. But Blizzard's dedication to their games on a free (and wonderful) server setup such as battle.net should just go to show how amazing they hopefully will be when they are actually getting paid monthly to keep things fresh. One gripe I have with that, though is that you can't mix hoarde characters with alliance characters. I have tons of friends (at least 20-30 people from my warcraft III community) that don't want to stick to one faction, so thats' a bitch. Oh well, the dancing video alone shows that the game will most likely rule.

Requiem
10-08-2004, 11:15 PM
I've seen several videos, some just by friends who are in the game. It looks absolutely amazing.