PDA

View Full Version : Supermans Dead

RP
10-11-2004, 02:46 AM
Christopher reeves is being reported as found dead at the age of 52. Looking for linkage.

/sigh :(

Molly fan 25
10-11-2004, 03:03 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6223386/

RP
10-11-2004, 03:05 AM
thank you

Boondock Saint
10-11-2004, 03:10 AM
Yeah read this on another forum. He will always be the best actor to play Superman.

R.I.P. Man of Steel

Lara Emily
10-11-2004, 03:18 AM
:( RIP

I-Hate-You
10-11-2004, 03:20 AM
R.I.P.

Sucks he didn't die when he fell off the horse.

I would rather be dead than have to live the rest of my life in agony.

Supreme Olajuwon
10-11-2004, 03:35 AM
R.I.P.

Sucks he didn't die when he fell off the horse.

I would rather be dead than have to live the rest of my life in agony.
you should read Maddox's opinion on this matter

V
10-11-2004, 03:38 AM
0_0

damn man, he's gone?!

RIP

ordinary's just not good enough today..

Loose Cannon
10-11-2004, 03:43 AM
well this caught me off guard. I heard that he wasnt really doing any good but this just totally got me off guard. Well it usually comes in 3's so I wonder who will be the next one to go.

^^Thought of that quote posted in the Dangerfield thread right when I read this. god dam.

R.I.P.

Azriel
10-11-2004, 03:51 AM
Damn, that is creepy. Rest in peace most definitely.

Azriel
10-11-2004, 04:00 AM
Just wanted to add something, the other real tragedy was he was barely in his 50's. He had a really shitty 10 years. nobody deserved to go through what he went through. I'm just glad he's found peace finally.

DegenerationY
10-11-2004, 04:06 AM
LOL, it did happen in 3's :eek:

Dangerfield, Caminiti, and Christopher Reeves.

I don't want to sound like a dick and say I'm happy Reeves is dead, but it's good to know he's not suffering anymore.

His life must've been frustrating as hell for the last few years.

RIP all the same

Boondock Saint
10-11-2004, 04:15 AM
LOL, it did happen in 3's :eek:

Dangerfield, Caminiti, and Christopher Reeves.

I don't want to sound like a dick and say I'm happy Reeves is dead, but it's good to know he's not suffering anymore.

His life must've been frustrating as hell for the last few years.

RIP all the same

Janet Leigh as well.

Scarface
10-11-2004, 04:35 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/11/obit.reeve.ap/index.html

From that picture, it doesn't seem that he had too shitty a life.

R.I.P. Superman.

Sephiroth
10-11-2004, 06:34 AM
WTF!!! :'( R.I.P. Superman...

Sickboy
10-11-2004, 06:56 AM
That came as a surprise to me... damn. Not too long ago I read one interview of his where he said that he's sure that he's gonna walk again one day... That's a shame... R.I.P

Disturbed316
10-11-2004, 08:08 AM
This was a complete shock when I read it this morning. I only just watched Superman 2 last night, and said how good it was that he was doing better and getting feelings back in his fingers and toes.

RIP Christopher Reeve :'(

Ogen
10-11-2004, 11:07 AM
Not much to say on this other than Maddox is a fucking funny fuck check out the edit job on his Christopher Reeves article.

Buzzkill
10-11-2004, 11:38 AM
LOL

Buzzkill
10-11-2004, 11:38 AM
@maddox I mean

:( otherwise

Ogen
10-11-2004, 12:00 PM
oh yeah very :( nah I can't be sad Maddox rules too much :)

Fryza
10-11-2004, 12:10 PM
Toke and I were listening to 'Kryptonite' yesterday too.. Poor Mr. Reeves. R.I.P. :(

Dark-Slicer Diago
10-11-2004, 01:26 PM
RIP Christopher Reeves

Penner
10-11-2004, 01:28 PM
RIP

Gouda
10-11-2004, 01:52 PM
:'( R.I.P Reeves.

*raises his mini-statue of Superman in salute*

Guest #1
10-11-2004, 02:43 PM
This really saddens me. He was an example of strength in weakness. Far too soon, IMO

The Answer
10-11-2004, 02:55 PM
R.I.P seriously though Superman died to me in that Our Lady Peace song

YOUR Hero
10-11-2004, 03:09 PM
Died from a bed sore. :nono:

YOUR Hero
10-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Christopher Reeve <STRIKE> is </STRIKE> was an asshole.

(maddox article update)

Ninti the Mad
10-11-2004, 03:11 PM
oh well

El Vaquero de Infierno
10-11-2004, 03:19 PM
If people had any decency, they would of turned the machines off years ago.

Bad Company
10-11-2004, 03:46 PM
RIP
One of my childhood Heros, but he's in a better place now.

tucsonspeed6
10-11-2004, 04:24 PM
ONe shouldn't look on the latter years of his life negatively. If he hadn't survived that fall off of the horse, there probably wouldn't have been quite as much motivation in the world to look for a correction for central nervous injuries. To say that he was an asshole is hardly the case. Perhaps in his earlier years he may have been, that is debatable, and maybe Karma worked against him, but he was yet another building block towards a better tomorrow where people don't have to suffer in the same way that he did for so many years.

RIP.

loopydate
10-11-2004, 05:05 PM
In the last decade of his life, Reeve became an inspiration to millions of people with spinal injuries. Some of the experimental procedures he underwent could soon lead to breakthroughs in treatment. It's just a pity that he won't be around to see the results.

Rest in Peace, Chris.

House of Pancakes
10-11-2004, 05:47 PM
Does everyone who talks about it need to point the irony of Superman being dead? It was never funny.

The Miz
10-11-2004, 06:04 PM
About time

asphyXy
10-11-2004, 06:04 PM
Big Bossman died recently too.

Ogen
10-11-2004, 08:15 PM
If people had any decency, they would of turned the machines off years ago.
What?? He was still making movies ffs sake bit harsh to kill him because he was paralysed.

FakeLaser
10-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Christopher Reeve <STRIKE>is </STRIKE>was an asshole.

(maddox article update)Yeah, I saw that. Can't help but laugh a little.

RIP.

YOUR Hero
10-11-2004, 09:59 PM
Bed sores....

Someone forgot to flip him over enough.

John la Rock
10-11-2004, 10:53 PM
FUCK

RIP :(

Fox
10-12-2004, 12:48 AM
You guys are such assholes to make light of this man's death. He was a role model to kids everywhere and even as a cripple he fought to make life better for everyone else, instead of turning bitter toward humanity.

If I wasn't an atheist, I'd like to believe there's a special place in heaven for Christoher Reeves.

DegenerationY
10-12-2004, 01:48 AM
lol

Disturbed316
10-12-2004, 07:35 AM
Aparantly, his Doctors said he could move afew of his limbs in the last couple of weeks of his life :'(

CosaNostra
10-12-2004, 08:30 AM
You guys are such assholes to make light of this man's death. He was a role model to kids everywhere and even as a cripple he fought to make life better for everyone else, instead of turning bitter toward humanity.

If I wasn't an atheist, I'd like to believe there's a special place in heaven for Christoher Reeves.

Shut the fuck up. Seriously. You were the one who was making fun of wrestlers losing their legs and stuff, so don't get holier-than-thou on everyone else.

EDIT - This post was a mistake because I thought Sunday had said this. He didn't, it was Savior. I've already apologized to Sunday for it. :(

KayfabeMan
10-12-2004, 10:23 AM
He was a definite inspiration to people afflicted with the same injuries he suffered with, as well as everyday people. His research and work, and the work he inspired, definitely will go on to positively effect many people in this world.

You can't help but respect a guy who has the courage to go on, and a you also recognize a woman like his wife for staying with him and loving him like she did / does.

He was a great dad to his kids, and a great voice for people who otherwise might have gone unnoticed. His incident and the time that followed it definitely got attention put on these type of incidents and the people it effects.

RIP

The Miz
10-12-2004, 08:09 PM

I'm not a cripple nor do I like shitty movies, so he had nothing to offer to me. Also he is a pussy.

The Miz
10-12-2004, 08:10 PM
*was

El Capitano Gatisto
10-12-2004, 08:13 PM
pffft, if he was so super he'd have been able to walk.

Dark Kane
10-14-2004, 10:37 PM
It's a proven fact that Christopher Reeve is a real life superman in many ways. I grew up following his career ever since I was a child. I loved all the other work he had done besides the Superman films. Ever see Christopher Reeve in that comedy "Switching Channels"? He played a hilarious character in that film.

I feel so bad for his family. Chris Reeve tried his best and he worked so hard to get off that wheelchair.

I love the Superman movies, there is no other actor that could play Superman but Christopher Reeve. Dean Cain didn't play a bad Superman but he is no where near Reeve.

I am willing to bet, when Bryan Singer makes his version of the Superman movie, it's going to bomb to shit. Why? The answer is simple. No one is going to want to see a Superman movie without the man, Chris Reeve. The Superman movies made Chris Reeve a real life Superman.

There is something very special about that man. He was always willing to help the handicapped and the disabled people. He had helped the handicapped out of suicide. He had helped Brooke Ellison.

BTW, did anyone know that Chris Reeve was still working/directing a computer animated movie for family before he died? Since he can't obviously finish the movie himself anymore, the filmmakers agreed to finish it without him. 'cause I'm sure Reeve would want the movie finished anyways no matter who does it.

God Bless Dana and the Reeve family.

Y2Ant
10-15-2004, 01:57 AM
Am I missing something here?

Why are people making jokes about him dying?

Fox
10-15-2004, 05:17 AM

Thank you.

Fox
10-15-2004, 05:18 AM
Shut the fuck up. Seriously. You were the one who was making fun of wrestlers losing their legs and stuff, so don't get holier-than-thou on everyone else.

What the hell are you talking about? Find the post and I'll admit my own hypocricy, but otherwise, you're the one who needs to shut the fuck up.

Dark Kane
10-15-2004, 08:25 AM

They are assholes with nothing else better to do that's why. I'd love to see them get paralyzed on a wheelchair. :mad:

Adder
10-15-2004, 11:37 AM
I remember him in an interview at the height of his fame, he was an egotistical asshole. However, he did try hard to raise awareness and push the medical science boundaries for paralysed people. SOme say he did it only because he was himself paralysed, but so what? In fact people that say that need to ask themselves this; "Are you doing anything to further these advances?" If no, shut the fuck up.

El Capitano Gatisto
10-15-2004, 01:29 PM
Did he really further anything, though? Or did he find a new line of work?

The Miz
10-15-2004, 01:41 PM
What is Christopher Reeves fave band?

The Talking heads

The Miz
10-15-2004, 01:42 PM
What does Christopher Reeve do when his friends are around?

Nothing

What does Christopher Reeve do when nobody is around?

Nothing

samichna
10-15-2004, 01:59 PM
Know your limits, The Miz. :nono:

samichna
10-15-2004, 02:00 PM
^

CosaNostra
10-15-2004, 02:07 PM
I remember him in an interview at the height of his fame, he was an egotistical asshole. However, he did try hard to raise awareness and push the medical science boundaries for paralysed people. SOme say he did it only because he was himself paralysed, but so what? In fact people that say that need to ask themselves this; "Are you doing anything to further these advances?" If no, shut the fuck up.

E-mail this ^ to Maddox. Go on. Do it.

CosaNostra
10-15-2004, 02:31 PM
What the hell are you talking about? Find the post and I'll admit my own hypocricy, but otherwise, you're the one who needs to shut the fuck up.

Well, I owe Mr Sunday Night an apology and he deserves a public one. It was Savior who made the joke about Zach Gowan losing his legs not Mr Sunday Night. Savior..........Sunday, I fucked up.

I'm sorry, man. :(

Dark Kane
10-15-2004, 10:56 PM

how is him helping people being egostotical? Make some sense and show the legend some respect would you. If you get paralyzed in a wheelchair, I'll call you egostotical for never giving up trying to walk again. Chris Reeve was helping the mentally challenged and the handicapped way before his horse accident. Do your research before assuming shit. :foc:

YOUR Hero
10-16-2004, 10:58 PM
how is him helping people being egostotical? Make some sense and show the legend some respect would you. If you get paralyzed in a wheelchair, I'll call you egostotical for never giving up trying to walk again. Chris Reeve was helping the mentally challenged and the handicapped way before his horse accident. Do your research before assuming shit. :foc:
LOL, he was supporting you.

You can't read.

YOUR Hero
10-16-2004, 10:59 PM
OCTOBER 15 - 21, 2004

Deadline Hollywood

Where’s Their Sense of Decency?
Republicans sell out Christopher Reeve’s paralysis bill
by Nikki Finke <TABLE cellPadding=10 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.laweekly.com/images/ink/04/47/47news2.jpg
(Photo by AP/WideWorld) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>FOR ALL THE BAD RAP that Hollywood receives, its stars do the most good when they get behind medical causes. One star who was doing just that was the late Christopher Reeve. But the Republicans’ nasty prosecution of the presidential campaign has now taken to stealing Reeve’s legacy before the quadriplegic’s body is even cold. They are turning his dream of bettering the lives of the 2 million Americans living with paralysis into a political football.

L.A. Weekly has learned that, just a day after the actor’s death, one or more Republican senators put a surprise hold on the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act. The uncontroversial legislation had been expected to sail through committee and then the Senate as easily as it had the House of Representatives where it passed 418 to zero last week. Monday’s action was beyond cruel; it was like opposing Mom and apple pie.

Congressional sources confirmed to L.A. Weekly Tuesday that the hold was placed on the legislation from the Republican side of the aisle. Democratic committee members led by Senator Edward Kennedy are trying to find out which Republican senator or senators sandbagged S. 1010. The way the Senate system works, any senator can delay a bill without accountability because anonymity is assured.

“We’re shocked,” a source inside the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation told L.A. Weekly on Tuesday. “We had been told the bill was going to pass the Senate, but then the Republicans put a hold on the legislation. We heard it was because Chris has been too outspoken on the stem-cell issue. That was the trigger.

“So it would have passed if Chris hadn’t died.”

While the rest of the world was mourning Reeve’s tragic death and celebrating his heroic life, on Monday the Republicans cravenly played politics with the actor’s legislation by holding up the bill inside the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions — whose GOP members include chairman Judd Gregg (R–New Hampshire), who is running for re-election, and Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tennessee), a heart surgeon. Last July, Reeve’s wife, Dana, made a point of traveling to Senator Gregg’s backyard and meeting with the local media in an apparent attempt to keep the pressure on Gregg to move Reeve’s bill through his committee. She told the Portsmouth Herald, “There are no dollars attached to it, and it is just a real ‘feel good’ piece of legislation. How could you not support it?”

Yet Senate Republicans found a way.

Reeve’s S. 1010 is identical to the already passed HR 1998, aimed at enhancing and furthering research into paralysis and improving rehabilitation and quality of life for those with spinal-cord injuries. Even so, one or more Senate GOPers made it a casualty of George W. Bush’s mission to confine stem-cell research to a paltry few and inadequate lines despite the fact that Reeve’s legislation had nothing to do with that issue. That’s worth repeating: The thespian’s bill had nothing to do with stem-cell research. Not only did the legislation have bipartisan co-sponsorship, Reeve’s foundation cited the support of Bush cabinet member Tommy Thompson, the Health and Human Services secretary.

But one or more Republican senators decided to piss on Reeve’s grave because the dead actor had dared speak out in support of opening up stem-cell research, which Dubya opposes in lockstep with his conservative Christian masters. As someone else with a conscience said to a cruel and reckless U.S. senator half a century ago, “Have you no sense of decency, sir?”

A GENERATION AGO, Rock Hudson’s death focused attention on the issue of AIDS and put it in new perspective. Now, Chris Reeve’s death (which I first reported via the Drudge Report on Sunday) looks to have the same effect by putting a well-known face to the issue of stem-cell research. And wouldn’t it serve the Republicans right if the actor were turned into a stem-cell martyr by their dirty double-dealings?

Just two days before his passing Sunday, the actor’s name was raised by Senator John Kerry during his defense of stem-cell research at the second presidential debate. And, in the days since then, and leading up to the third and final presidential debate, both Kerry and running mate John Edwards have been hitting the issue hard, again and again making the point that spinal-cord injuries and other ills could be helped through stem-cell research, which Dubya is limiting despite objections from the medical community. This is the sort of emotional appeal to swing voters that the White House is determined to stop. It doesn’t take a seasoned political operative to see that the passage of a Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act (or the passing of Christopher Reeve, for that matter) could not have come at a worse time for the Bushies.

On Monday night, Michael Manganiello, senior vice president of governmental affairs for the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation, expressed outrage about the hold during an ABC News 20/20 special on the actor’s death. But Manganiello did not expressly accuse Republican senators of hijacking the measure.

Manganiello told Barbara Walters: “The Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act had the opportunity today, a piece of it, to pass in the Senate. It passed in the House, 418-0, last week. I’m sorry to say that there’s been a hold put on the bill in the Senate. We’re not sure who’s put the hold on the bill. But the hold is because certain senators feel that Chris is just too outspoken with regard to the stem-cell issue. It’s very disappointing because it would have been a great tribute to Chris to have this bill passed.”

“This is a shame. The bill has nothing to do with stem-cell research. This is about research, rehabilitation and quality-of-life programs,” explains Dr. Douglas Landsman, director of individual research grants at the Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation.

In an attempt to identify who stopped S. 1010 in its tracks, I spoke to Gayle Osterberg, the Republican communications director for the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions. “I’m not sure,” she said. “As you know, a large number of bills were trying to get finished. This bill in the House was combined with a separate bill about also improving research on inflammatory-bowel disease, so that bill was passed and sent to the Senate. The committee attempted to pass it with unanimous consent. There was objection. I’m not sure who objected. That information doesn’t have to be shared.”

So who knows?

Osterberg said,“The person who objected, and the person in the cloakroom who took the call. It could have been one [person who objected]; it could have been more than one. So typically, if you’ve got a bill trying to get through, and there’s objection, you reach out to colleagues and work out those problems. Given the fact that there were a few remaining short days of session, we simply ran out of time.”

What was the reason for the objection?

“Not knowing who objected, I can’t speak to the reason for the objection.”

So the bill is dead?

“It is chairman Gregg’s intention to pursue it during the lame-duck session when we come back in November.”

Gregg, a two-term senator and former New Hampshire governor, surely isn’t looking to upset the religious right since he is the only Republican member of his committee running for re-election. He held a 4-to-1 fund-raising advantage over initial opponent New Castle Democratic state Senator Burt Cohen, who had an active campaign for over a year but then dropped out of the race. Because of that, Gregg is now up against a Democratic candidate who gives new meaning to the term long shot — “Granny D” Doris Haddock, a 94-year-old great-grandmother. According to the most recent Franklin Pierce College poll of 617 likely voters, Gregg leads Haddock 61 percent to 26 percent with only 13 percent still undecided.

Besides Gregg and Frist, the other Republican senators on the committee are Mike Enzi of Wyoming, Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, Christopher Bond of Missourri, Mike DeWine of Ohio, Pat Roberts of Kansas, Jeff Sessions of Alabama, John Ensign of Nevada, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and John Warner of Virginia.

A month before his death, Reeve was quoted in Reader’s Digest as stating he advocated stem-cell research “because I think scientists should be free to pursue every possible avenue.” Asked if political decisions had slowed stem-cell research, he responded, “The religious right has had quite an influence on the debate. I don’t think that’s appropriate. When we’re setting public policy, no one segment of society deserves the only seat at the table. That’s the way it’s set in the Constitution. So debate all we want, hear from everybody. And then allow our representatives to weigh the factors and make laws that are going to be ethically sound, moral, responsible, but not the result of undue pressure from any particular entity.”

YOUR Hero
10-16-2004, 11:00 PM
^ http://www.laweekly.com/ink/printme.php?eid=57571 ^

YOUR Hero
10-16-2004, 11:06 PM
Did he really further anything, though? Or did he find a new line of work?
Read on.

Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act

S. 1010 and H.R. 1998

<!-- BEING TERTIARY NAV --><!--Session I (/legislation/107/session1/) | /images/2_smaller_arrow.gif Session II (/legislation/107/session2/)--><!-- END TERTIARY NAV --><!-- CONTENT GOES HERE -->Background

In 1995, actor Christopher Reeve damaged his spinal cord in an equestrian competition. The spinal cord is about the same diameter as the thumb and is filled with gel like material much like that of the brain. Because the gel like filler makes the spinal cord very elastic, it would take a projectile, such as a bullet or knife, to separate or sever the cord. More often, the cord is traumatically damaged. Most spinal cord injuries result from a pinched, dented, or bruised cord, not an actual break. When a spinal cord is injured, the cells in the center of the cord die, and the cord becomes hollow, leaving a donut rim of tissue on the outside. Without enough cells, the spinal cord cannot function properly. S. 1010 and H.R. 1998 are identical bills. The legislation focuses attention on research related to paralysis resulting from a variety of neurological events and encourages cross-disciplinary and cross-institutional collaborations.

Provisions of the Legislation/Impact on <ACRONYM title="National Institutes of Health">NIH</ACRONYM>

Title I of the legislation addresses research activities. Specifically, the legislation states that the Director of the National Institutes of Health (<ACRONYM title="National Institutes of Health">NIH</ACRONYM>), acting through the Director of the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (<ACRONYM title="National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke">NINDS</ACRONYM>), may expand and coordinate the paralysis research activities of the Institutes. The legislation encourages this coordination to avoid duplication of effort. A report to Congress describing the paralysis activities and strategies for future research would be required. The bills would also allow the Director of <ACRONYM title="National Institutes of Health">NIH</ACRONYM> to make awards to public or nonprofit private entities to pay all or part of the costs of planning, establishing, improving, and providing basic operating support for consortia in paralysis research. <ACRONYM title="National Institutes of Health">NIH</ACRONYM> would designate each consortium funded by these awards as a Christopher Reeve Paralysis Research Consortium. The legislation prescribes how the consortia would be organized, outlines the type of research focus, and urges that the research be coordinated. The legislation encourages the Director of NIH to provide for a mechanism to educate and disseminate information to the public on existing and planned <ACRONYM title="National Institutes of Health">NIH</ACRONYM> paralysis research and program activities.
Title II of the legislation addresses rehabilitation research care activities. The Director of <ACRONYM title="National Institutes of Health">NIH</ACRONYM>, acting through the Directors of the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development and of the National Center for Medical Rehabilitation Research and in collaboration with acronym title="National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke">NINDS</ACRONYM>, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention <ACRONYM title="Centers for Disease Control and Prevention">CDC</ACRONYM>), and any other appropriate agencies, is encouraged to expand and coordinate research with implications for enhancing daily function for people with paralysis. Both bills would allow the Director to make awards to public or nonprofit private entities to pay all or part of the costs of planning, establishing, improving, and providing basic operating support for multicenter networks of clinical sites. These sites would collaborate to design clinical rehabilitation intervention protocols and measures of outcomes of one or more forms of paralysis that result from central nervous system trauma, disorders, or stroke, or any combination of such conditions. The legislation prescribes how the multicenter clinical trial network would be organized, outlines the type of research focus, and urges that the research be coordinated. The legislation would require <ACRONYM title="National Institutes of Health">NIH</ACRONYM> to submit a report to Congress that provides a description of research activities with implications for enhancing daily function for persons with paralysis.
Title III of the legislation provides for activities through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to improve the quality of life for persons with paralysis and other physical disabilities. The legislation encourages the Secretary of Health and Human Services (<ACRONYM title="Health and Human Services">HHS</ACRONYM>), acting through the Director of CDC, to study the unique health challenges associated with paralysis and other physical disabilities and carry out projects and interventions to improve the quality of life and long-term health status of persons with paralysis and other physical disabilities. The Secretary of <ACRONYM title="Health and Human Services">HHS</ACRONYM> would be able to carry out such projects directly and through awards of grants or contracts.
Through Title IV of the legislation, the Secretary of Veterans Affairs (<ACRONYM title="Veterans Affairs">VA</ACRONYM>), acting through the Director of the Office of Research and Development of the Veterans Health Administration and in collaboration with <ACRONYM title="National Institutes of Health">NIH</ACRONYM> and other agencies the Secretary deems appropriate, would be able to expand and coordinate activities with respect to research on paralysis. The Secretary of <ACRONYM title="Veterans Affairs">VA</ACRONYM> would be able to establish within the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs centers for paralysis research, education, and clinical activities. The centers would be established at <ACRONYM title="Veterans Affairs">VA</ACRONYM> medical centers through the award of grants to <ACRONYM title="Veterans Affairs">VA</ACRONYM> medical centers that are affiliated with medical schools or other organizations that the Secretary deems appropriate. These grants could be used to pay all or part of the costs of planning, establishing, improving, and providing basic operating support for such centers. The research could focus on basic biomedical research on paralysis, rehabilitation research on paralysis, and health services and clinical trials for paralysis that results from central nervous system trauma or stroke; facilitate and enhance the dissemination of clinical and scientific findings; and replicate the findings of centers for scientific and translational purposes. The Secretary of <ACRONYM title="Veterans Affairs">VA</ACRONYM> could provide for the linkage and coordination of information among centers in order to create national consortia of centers and ensure regular communications between the centers. Each consortium would be able to conduct large-scale clinical trials for greater statistical significance; operate as part of an interdisciplinary rehabilitation team; focus on determining current standards of care and best practices; identify research gaps for specific populations; and identify future research needs.
Status and Outlook

S. 1010 (http://olpa.od.nih.gov/tracking/senate_bills/session1/s-1010.asp)was introduced on May 7, 2003, by Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) and was referred to the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions.

H.R. 1998 (http://olpa.od.nih.gov/tracking/house_bills/session1/hr-1998.asp) was introduced on May 7 by Representative Michael Bilirakis (R-FL) and was referred to the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Health. No further action has occurred on this legislation.

http://olpa.od.nih.gov/legislation/108/pendinglegislation/paralysis.asp

####

Not a bad second career.

<!-- END BODY COPY -->

Bazooka
10-16-2004, 11:26 PM
It's George Bush's fault that Christopher Reeves is dead. The fact that Bush is an ignorant, inconsiderate son of a bitch who wouldn't allow stem cell research. I seriously believe Reeves would still be alive today if someone like Kerry was elected 4 years ago.

The Miz
10-17-2004, 12:04 AM
Well I'm glad Kerry wasn't elected 4 years ago then

Jaded-Dragon
10-17-2004, 01:16 AM
I don't understand. You are basing his character off of an interview done what? 10+ years ago? People can change. Hell, I'm willing to bet everyone here has changed for the better or worse over the last 10 years. You should give the guy SOME respect. Even if it took him being paralyzed, he still lived out the remainder of his life trying to help others. Sometimes it takes something really bad for something really good to happen. He could of just as easily said "Ya know what, fuck it. I'm in a wheel chair, fuck the world."

Find something worth dying for, and then live for it. ~Black Ice - Poet

YOUR Hero
10-17-2004, 01:20 PM
That's very true Jaded.
I seen an interview of Reeve when he was flying glider planes and talking down to the interviewer, even buzzing their heads... A real arrogant... well... I thought he was a fucking jerk. That's stuck in my mind. I'm sure however the guy's opinion on life changed and he matured once he wasn't the mobile jet setting, playa he once was.

I personally didn't like him, but I don't take away anything he did or tried to do. That's why I posted the stuff I did.

GARAGExBANDxGEEK
10-17-2004, 08:06 PM
I am sorry but I am glad he is dead. I am also glad he did alot for the spinal cord injury foundation or w/e it is called. I just think that he is in a better place and only being able to move your head had to suck. He had hopes which kept him going but 10 years without walking feeling an orgasm running play sports doing normal ppl things sucks I am glad he is dead so he has no more pain but I think it is bs ppl are makin fun of him now that he is dead

Disturbed316
10-20-2004, 09:43 PM
There was a program on Christopher Reeve on BBC1 tonight here in the UK. It was about his battle against the paralysis and his campaining for stem cell research etc. Also showed his home life, and how one minute things were great and he could breathe without a ventilator and the next how an imfection to a tiny tiny cut almost killed him. Also showed how he was also directing two films as well a couple of months before he died.

Was a really interesting watch, very emotional seeing his struggle :(