PDA

View Full Version : A bit of "controversy" (I guess) related to Pat Tillman

road doggy dogg
10-11-2004, 04:55 AM
I was just reading NFL.com to catch up on all of today's games and recaps and all that, and I noticed an article on there about how Jake Plummer was denied being able to wear the patch on his helmet to honour Pat Tillman. He was a friend of his and they played together in college and on the Cardinals, and he wanted to do that for him. The league wouldn't let him because it violated their dress code (or whatever you want to call it).

Do you agree with this? Personally, I dunno. One on hand it is kind of dickheaded to not let him do it, but on the other hand I can see why they won't. If you exempt one player from wearing a patch, then why can't you let another player express some other kind of feeling? I guess since it's a touchy subject or whatever, that's why I think it's more of a big deal than if it was just something stupid like an armband or something.

What are your peoples' thoughts?

link to article (http://nfl.com/news/story/7775283)

VonErich Lives
10-11-2004, 06:01 AM
yeah, heard this a few weeks back, actually the pats v. arizona game is where the honored him and both teams wore a patch that day and some of the Patriots wanted to wear it all season and were told they couldn't.

The NFL has always been hard core on their dress code (see: Jim McMahon and the fines he got). But in this case their being idiots.

You want a strict dress code that fine, I've heard things like players get fined all the time and you never hear about it for things like wearing a towel or the wrong color towel etc... But, I think anyone who wants to wear a memorial arm band or patch should be allowed... don't care who or why.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
10-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Yeah NFL is ridiculous with its dress code anyways. I remember hearing about Mike Vick getting fined becuase he tried to make it look like he was wearing all red socks, like he rolled the red part over the white. Those 2 different colored socks look ridiculous anyways.

They made Deion get rid of his cleats becuase they had #21 on them, and a TINY cross on the back. NFL = No Fun League

Also, in this case, not allowing a guy to wear a Tillman patch is stupid too. The NFL is all about honoring Tillman, but then they do this? I don't understand it

VonErich Lives
10-11-2004, 12:45 PM
I heard a great idea, that Plummer should do it anyway and a radio station offered to start a website for donations to pay the fine for him.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
10-11-2004, 12:49 PM
I doubt the fine would be that much money (atleast to him) I am sure he will probably just pay the fine himself, and I think fine money is used for donations anyways?

Gonzo
10-11-2004, 01:14 PM
The NFL is seriously taking this out of hand. Every player had the "40" patch on their helmets for a week a few weeks ago. What is the problem if a player wants to honor that guy for the rest of the season?

Being very anal if you ask me.

YOUR Hero
10-11-2004, 03:16 PM
NFL players union is soooo weak.

VonErich Lives
10-11-2004, 03:39 PM
NFL players union is soooo weak.

yeah, I keep waiting for a labor stopage at some point...

Between the cap, and lack of gaurenteed contracts...

They were close to a stoppage a few years back over rights of draft picks and there salaries, but on the flip side the nfl is smart in, they have seen what work stopages (strikes or lockouts) have done to baseball, basketball and now hockey... and the NFL generates a huge amount of money.

Excellance of Execution
10-11-2004, 10:05 PM
I heard on ESPN that Plummer could be fined $5000 for wearing the patch. Plummer supposively doesn't care about the fine, and is trying to have the money for the fine, go to a charity for Pat Tillman. The NFL doesn't want to do that, because they say there is already 3 charities set up for Tillman. I personally think it's a bunch of bullshit, it's not like he's wearing something to make money off of.

Crimson
10-12-2004, 12:38 AM
It would be cool if they could at least let players celebrate after a freakin touchdown. Like before I remember Webster Slaughters electric dance with the old Oilers. Sweet.