PDA

View Full Version : The official Pro Evolution Soccer 4/Winning Eleven 8 thread

Mr. Monday Morning
10-12-2004, 06:48 PM
My copy shipped today :love::love::love: Should be here Thursday, if not it'll definitely be here Friday.

So yeah, this thread is for discussion of just how farking awesome this game is. Bit early I know but meh.

BTW I only just found out that Raul has a character-specific animation turn in PES 3 :| Apparently there's going to be *loads* of these in 4, so I'm not sure exactly what I should be looking out for...anyone know anything more about this?

Y2Ant
10-12-2004, 08:44 PM
is PES 4 gonna be online playable?

Mike the Metal Ed
10-12-2004, 08:45 PM
Only on X Box :mad:

Mr. Monday Morning
10-12-2004, 09:38 PM
What he ^^ said :'(

Much as I love the game I ain't shelling out for an X-Box to play it online :-\

Y2Ant
10-13-2004, 12:34 AM
Bollocks. I have been out of the loop with football games, last one I had was ISS '98 :o

I dunno which is better, FIFA or PES :@

Jonster
10-13-2004, 05:26 AM
Only on X Box :mad:
:D

Jonster
10-13-2004, 05:26 AM
Bollocks. I have been out of the loop with football games, last one I had was ISS '98 :o

I dunno which is better, FIFA or PES :@
The latter.

Wengerland
10-13-2004, 07:44 AM
I'll just go and pick it up on friday i guess. BRILLIANT :love:

Disturbed316
10-13-2004, 10:56 AM
I've got the demo, but not that excited or really that interested about the game as I have been in the past. Not sure if I will pick it up yet, I may do a couple of months down the road.

Cactus Sid
10-13-2004, 12:43 PM
When I first played the demo I was kinda indifferent to it, but now it's just awesome.

Would buy it, but for the whole "no money" thing.

Anyone think Ireland are better than England on the demo?

Fignuts
10-13-2004, 02:40 PM
So whats new in this game from the last one besides rosters?

BCWWF
10-13-2004, 06:32 PM
Does PES have real teams and real players? I heard they only had certain onces, and even if the gameplay was sweet, I like playing with people I know. Meh?

Mr. Monday Morning
10-14-2004, 10:26 AM
My copy arrived this morning :love:

Gotta go to a meeting with my tutor in a bit :mad: but I'll play it some tonight and then give thoughts tomorrow.

From the back of the box:

-Over 3000 licensed players
-Fully licensed leagues and teams from Serie A, Liga Espanol, Eredvisie (not sure where that is or if there are any other licensed teams...don't think there are :-\ but if it's like the last one you can change their names and what the commentators call them)
-57 National teams
-80 European club teams
-On pitch referee
-New tricks, skills and tactics
-Enhanced player animations
-Revamped master league (you can now start as say Real Madrid with Beckham, Raul et al in the team :love: )
-Comprehensive training mode
-More detailed player profiles

I'm sure there's a bunch more than that (I remember reading a ton of new things) but off the top of my head I can't remember any :$

Jacko
10-14-2004, 03:33 PM
I've had it for ages and ages (we8 since August)

Meh :/

Also got Pes4 of course. Similar to WE8 however slighlt worse gameplay, but added extras and a little less slowdown.

Disturbed316
10-14-2004, 03:59 PM
Saw it in the shops today, I guess somewhere decided to release it early to get more sales, but still didn't pick it up. I'm not really that impressed by the demo, but I know that it was probably no where near complete. Still undecided as to whether to get it or not.

Cactus Sid
10-14-2004, 08:17 PM
Shipped earlier today :D

Looking forward to the extreme editing...... :(

Wengerland
10-16-2004, 08:55 AM
I found it strange at first but now it's quality. Lost my first game 5-3 to Real Madrid as Barcelona :'(

The licensed clubs look brilliant and you don't need to do too much editting to be honest, just move players like Jeffers, Woodgate, Carr, Luis Garcia... and the players in the national teams of Germany,Wales and the usual ones.

Mr. Monday Morning
10-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I'm still not 100% sure on everything at the moment (I'm at home for the weekend so I can only go on what I played on Thursday)

I like the way they've tweaked the controls, it gives you a *lot* more flexibility for moving around the pitch, trapping the ball etc. It takes a while to get used to but it's gold once you do.

The pacing of the players is better as well...Owen, Ronaldo etc can still burst past defenders but try it with anyone who doesn't have great pace and acceleration and you won't get anywhere.

Probably going to take me ages to get used to free kicks again but oh well :mad:

Won the World Cup with England on my 2nd attempt :love: Beat Spain 2-0 in the final, only conceded 1 goal all tournament.

El Capitano Gatisto
10-16-2004, 12:15 PM
It's too easy on 5 stars at the start, but unlocking 6 star difficulty makes it better.

The goalie not bothering his arse to move for every other shot is a pain, niggly little things like that are a nuisance when the overall gameplay has obviously improved.

Cactus Sid
10-24-2004, 06:27 PM
Agree with the keeper thing, was playing Italy as the Czech's, Heinz hit the tamest right foot volley ever, Buffon left it, hit the post and trickled in.

That said, I do love this game, particularly the first time volley's when the ball is cleared, they always look amazing.

I bought this thing from Play, can't remember what is called, but you plug it into the USB on your PC, and then the USB on your PS2, and you can get updated data off some website, vague...i know.

If you want it, its at Play.com Here (http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=PS2&title=167036) and the updates are Available Here (http://www.gamefaqs.com/search/go.php?id=919618&tp=4.html)

Danny Electric
10-25-2004, 01:49 PM
Only thing that pisses me off is the way you have to change some of the national players names when their alreay there for the club teams. For example with the Dutch national side.

Mr. Monday Morning
10-25-2004, 02:38 PM
Scored some crackers recently, Fabregas with a diving header from 12 yards and Reyes on the half volley from 25 yards :love:

Danny Electric
10-25-2004, 04:28 PM
Scored some crackers recently, Fabregas with a diving header from 12 yards and Reyes on the half volley from 25 yards :love:

Awesome, I scored a quality free kick the other day with Kewell. I've played 12 games so far of the Premiership, so addictive. The problem with this Liverpool side is that the only person I can bring on up front is Sinima-Pongolle.

Mr. Monday Morning
10-25-2004, 08:13 PM
I haven't scored a freekick yet :'( Took me literally months to get the hang of it in PES3...have hit the bar a few times but no goal :( I get the power wrong mostly, either too much or enough to get it over the wall but not enough to trouble the keeper.

toxic rooster
10-26-2004, 06:22 AM
So what should I get, PES4 or FIFA?

Decisions, decisions...

Wengerland
10-26-2004, 06:36 AM
Yeah i'm finding free kicks pretty hard, can't really get them over the wall :$

I scored one in my first match on PES3 :'(

Fifa has all licensed kits and everything, whereas PES only has them for Dutch, Italian and Spanish sides. Pro Evo also, as has been mentioned doesn't have the proper player names for certain national/ club teams, however the general concensus is that PES has the better gameplay, so it's up to you which you'd prefer, Goon lad.

Wengerland
10-26-2004, 06:52 AM
You can edit the club names and player names incidentely, speaking of which, is there somewhere that gives the real player names and club names somewhere? just need some from France, Germany and near the end who's player's i wasn't sure on :(

#BROKEN Hasney
10-26-2004, 08:35 AM
Get PES4

Also, anyone here in the Leeds area? The Box pub in Headingly is having a PES4 tournament to win £1,000 from 12pm-8pm 10/11/2004

Mr. Monday Morning
10-26-2004, 10:40 AM
Isn't that on a Wednesday? :wtf:

#BROKEN Hasney
10-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Isn't that on a Wednesday? :wtf:

Yeah, most uni students have Wednesday as a free day. You can't really have it Friday or Saturday asmost of your local knobs will be out in full force

Mr. Monday Morning
10-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Well yeah Wednesday afternoons are free and I agree with the weekend thing...hmm, dunno. Is it going to be on X-Box or PS2? :$

El Capitano Gatisto
10-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Only thing that pisses me off is the way you have to change some of the national players names when their alreay there for the club teams. For example with the Dutch national side.
Just use the national team selection option to trade them. The club versions have exactly the same stats. Just try and figure out who they are, and swap them over.

Danny Electric
10-26-2004, 08:04 PM
You can edit the club names and player names incidentely, speaking of which, is there somewhere that gives the real player names and club names somewhere? just need some from France, Germany and near the end who's player's i wasn't sure on :(

Check the football pages on www.sky.com
That's what I used to change the club names, just go to the French and German football pages.

Danny Electric
10-26-2004, 08:05 PM
Just use the national team selection option to trade them. The club versions have exactly the same stats. Just try and figure out who they are, and swap them over.

Thanks mate. I might have to do that for some of the lesser known players.

#BROKEN Hasney
10-28-2004, 08:19 AM
Well yeah Wednesday afternoons are free and I agree with the weekend thing...hmm, dunno. Is it going to be on X-Box or PS2? :$
Probably PS2. Hell, I've been practicing in all my lunch breaks at work. probably still won't win!