PDA

View Full Version : Movies you thought would stink but ended up turning out great...

Dark Kane
10-20-2004, 11:04 PM
So can you think of any films that you think would suck at first, but once you actually decided to watch it just to see what it's like, you ended up loving it?

I have a few that comes to mind:

8 Mile - Ever since this movie came out, I always thought this movie would stink because of Eminem being in it was my only reason for not wanting to see it since I had a pure hatred over Eminem back then. So I had no desire to see it in theater at all. Normally, rap/hip hop movies stink, but I was extremely surprised by this movie. This movie was absolutely outstanding, I LOVED IT!!! This movie was beautifully shot, the acting was great, and the cinematography was great as well. Most of all, I just love the story to it. I was also surprised by Eminem's acting skills. He was actually a good actor in this film. I've seen 8 Mile like over 10 times and it's a film I'd never get tired of. It's one of my favorite films of all times now. Both "Rocky" and "8 Mile" are very similar in a way. But I tell ya, I think this film has some pretty intense scenes. It's indeed a great film. Now I wish I've seen this film in theater.

The Mothman Prophecies - I never really liked Richard Gere that much, but one day, I was at the video store and this movie caught my eye, so I gave it a rent. I didn't think this movie would be that good but to my surprise it turned out to be a very good film. This film is pretty creepy and the ending is horrifying. This film told a great story. I was never a Richard Gere fan but this is one of the really good movies that he was in.

Ladder 49 - Really, I thought this movie was going to turn out to be a piece of crap 'cause John Travolta's in it. Since Travolta had been in many terrible movies as of late, I was surprised by this film. Ladder 49 became an amazing film. I LOVED IT!!! Great story, and Jaquin Phoenix's acting in this film was amazing, I think this is Phoenix's best role in his career so far, and I can see him getting an Oscar nod for this. Ladder 49 was great and I plan on buying the DVD on the day it comes out.

Walking Tall (with the Rock) - I was thinking that the movie Walking Tall, the Rock's version was going to stink, but it turned out pretty good. not the Rock's best film, I thought The Rundown was much better, but I thought they did a good job with remake of Walking Tall. This film has some kick ass action scenes in it which is what I love the most about it. The only thing I hate about this movie is the name changed from Bufford Pusser to Chris Vaughn :n: :wtf: :n: and changing the oak stick to the 2X4. But the Rock sure did play a bad ass character though. :y: I wanna see Rock in more action films. He's a great action star. :y:

Fryza
10-20-2004, 11:13 PM
I loved Mothman Prophecies, one of my favorite movies ever.

-Eurotrip
-Grind
-Saved!
-Snatch
-Punisher

And honestly, all these movies are (more or less) some of my all time favorite movies..

Boondock Saint
10-20-2004, 11:29 PM
Terminator 3. Previews made it look like crap but I thought it was a kickass action flick and a worthy installment into the franchise.

Dazz
10-21-2004, 12:16 AM
American History X
About a Boy
Fight Club
The Ring

Bad Company
10-21-2004, 12:49 AM
Resident Evil 2 :o

Anybody Thrilla
10-21-2004, 01:21 AM
I remember going on a date with this girl. We wanted to go see a movie, but neither one of us knew what was out. She suggested American Beauty. I hadn't even seen a trailer, but the name alone sounded retarded. Either way, I agreed to watch it, and now it is probably my favorite movie of all time.

OssMan
10-21-2004, 04:00 PM
So I'm all like , naturally.

Bad Company
10-21-2004, 05:44 PM
I thought Forrest Gump was Forest Grump... about some old grumpy dude who lived in the forest.
How wrong I was when I went to the movies on that one.

Volchok
10-21-2004, 06:45 PM
The Notebook... i thought it would be just another chick flick...but it was pretty good..

Dark Kane
10-21-2004, 07:14 PM
Has anyone seen "Mean Girls"? Everyone says it's a great movie but I too think "Mean Girls" is just a chick flick. I might give it a rent and check it out.

tucsonspeed6
10-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Fight Club
The Ring

I'm all over that shit. The first time I watched Fight Club it was because my best friend and I had time and money to waste.

First time I watched the ring was because I thought my girlfriend would get scared and make out with me later on.

I was pleasantly suprised by both movies.

Fox
10-21-2004, 07:55 PM
Freaky Friday

My girlfriend dragged me to see it and I figured it would be another chipper teenage girly film, but it was actually pretty entertaining to both sexes and all age levels. Good stuff.

Cassidy
10-23-2004, 06:02 AM
Has anyone seen "Mean Girls"? Everyone says it's a great movie but I too think "Mean Girls" is just a chick flick. I might give it a rent and check it out.

lol, me and my girlfriend crack up every time we watch that movie, cuz the one who plays gretchen totally reminds us of her

Funky Fly
10-23-2004, 06:33 AM
Toy Story.

Shrek.

I dunno, neither looked appealing to me at the time.

MVP
10-23-2004, 01:42 PM
UHF

FakeLaser
10-23-2004, 02:09 PM
The Butterfly Effect

Sickboy
10-23-2004, 02:30 PM
American Beauty
Cold Mountain

Sephiroth
10-23-2004, 02:35 PM
American History X
Fight Club

Shaggy
10-23-2004, 02:57 PM
Paycheck: Everyone that I knew game the movie a bad rap...sure it wasnt the best movie but I would have to say it was Bens best work since Daredevil (not really saying much)

Requiem
10-23-2004, 04:53 PM
Terminator 3. Previews made it look like crap but I thought it was a kickass action flick and a worthy installment into the franchise.
What are you smoking? Compared to the first two, that was shit. They didn't even have enough of a story to get you mildly attached to any of the characters. It was -strictly- an action movie, and the originals were much better for actual character development.

Dark Kane
10-23-2004, 05:18 PM
What are you smoking? Compared to the first two, that was shit. They didn't even have enough of a story to get you mildly attached to any of the characters. It was -strictly- an action movie, and the originals were much better for actual character development.

That's what T-3 exactly is, an action flick, that's what action flicks are all about, and thats why people love Terminator films because of action. I happen to be a huge action movie fan, I love explosions, car chases, gun shooting, fighting, violence, etc. That's what I want to see in those kind of movies, and T-3 had a lot of that. I don't care about the story in action flicks, all I want to see is action. I happen to find T-3 a very good movie thank you. I used to hate the idea of having a female Terminator but that Terminatrix turned out to be a kick ass character IMO. :y: Don't listen to those ignorant phonies bashing T-3, they are probably the James Cameron/Linda Hamilton only type. :n: :wtf: :|

I just rented "Mean Girls" and "Garfield: The Movie" from my video store today, hopefully they are good. :y:

Requiem
10-23-2004, 06:15 PM
As a movie, it was decent.. but as a Terminator movie it was shit.

You're not understanding that it didn't follow the same way that they made the old ones, and that was what made those classics to remember as action movies.

Rain Man
10-23-2004, 07:24 PM
You do that man.. :y: