PDA

View Full Version : The Machinist

FakeLaser
10-28-2004, 01:18 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361862/

Is this playing near any of you? I wanted to see this movie but now I'm hearing it's an ultra limited release. Sounded like it would be pretty cool too.

Christian Bale lost like 63 pounds for the role to look anorexic.

El Capitano Gatisto
06-09-2005, 12:13 PM
I saw it tonight on DVD. It is very good. Christian Bale is scary looking, crazy piece of method acting.

The whole thing is a bit fucked up and strange all the way through, but I'm not really sure whether I liked the ending all that much.

Shaggy
06-09-2005, 01:04 PM
They were talking about it today on my show since it was released on DVD yesterday.

Looked pretty interesting. Everyone has said it was pretty good but I didnt see it yet. Hope to catch it sometime.

Boondock Saint
06-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Yeah saw it the other night too. I enjoyed it. Bale is great.

Jason Cage
06-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Word. Saw this and Bale is God.

RP
06-09-2005, 09:29 PM
I havent seen this yet, but Christian Bale has always been a highly regaurded actor imo. So i'm not suprised if he kicked ass in this movie.

AareDub
06-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Threw it in my Netflix queue. Looking forward to it

DaveWadding
06-18-2005, 05:14 AM
REALLY good. Mighty fucked up though.

FakeLaser
06-18-2005, 11:39 AM
Sounds like my kind of movie.

Mr. Nerfect
06-22-2005, 02:48 AM
Damn, I should start appreciating how luck I am. Right near me we have a Birch, Carrol & Coyle Megaplex, which practically get every movie you can ever want to see.

I haven't seen The Machinist yet, but I really should get around to doing it.

Sickboy
06-22-2005, 05:54 PM
I rented it last saturday and it was a decent film, Bale was looking fu</>cking sick

Lamuella
06-22-2005, 07:38 PM
Great movie. Very powerful performance from Bale.

AareDub
06-24-2005, 03:57 AM
Wow, good shit. Not even sure what else to say, just good shit.

Champion of Europa
06-25-2005, 05:06 PM
I bought it today. Gonna watch it tonight.

The Icon of Elisim
06-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Pretty good movie.

SPOILER QUESTION THING

who do you guys think Ivan was. The waitress and her kid were explained but we never see who Ivan was (unless I missed that). Do you guys think he is someone else in Bale's past or just a complete figment of his imagination? I figured he was his Dad, since he talked about not having a father a bit.

AareDub
06-25-2005, 07:15 PM
*spoiler type discussion*

I think he was just pure figment of imagination. He was like the other half of himself that ruined everything, and he hated him for it. The best reason to explain the way he looks is simply that if he looked like Trevor, you wouldn't have been so confused ;)

Champion of Europa
06-27-2005, 02:01 PM
Saw it last night. Excellent film. I'm glad I purchased it.

El Capitano Gatisto
06-27-2005, 02:12 PM
*spoiler type discussion*

I think he was just pure figment of imagination. He was like the other half of himself that ruined everything, and he hated him for it. The best reason to explain the way he looks is simply that if he looked like Trevor, you wouldn't have been so confused ;)No, that really doesn't make any sense. Ivan was the manifestation of his conscience, or guilt, and drove him towards taking responsibility for his actions.

AareDub
06-27-2005, 09:59 PM
No, that really doesn't make any sense. Ivan was the manifestation of his conscience, or guilt, and drove him towards taking responsibility for his actions.

Yea, but that doesn't explain why he looked like somebody different.

*more spoilers*
I've been reading some wild theories about what the movie means. I thought it was pretty straight forward at first, but some of these are starting to make a lot of sense. Some are saying that after he runs over the kid, he actually hang himself. He is, therefore, dead and the movie takes place while he is in purgatory. When I first heard this I thought "that makes no sense, there is nothing showing that he hung himself." The first hint to it is the route 666 ride. This ride basically tells the whole movie in symbolization type stuff. The hand, then hanging guy in front of the guilty sign, the kid on the track, etc etc. That's where the hanging bit came from originally. Still not much to support it, but then he tells Maria "I could just hang myself for what I did." Stevie throws in "hit and run drivers should be hanged." Finally it also gives justification to why he seems to be plaing hangman wrong. Usually in hangman you draw a limb on the guy when you miss a letter, not when you guess a letter correctly. When he finally spells out killer, he draws in the little man being hung. The whole purgatory bit is justified by the jail cell at the end being solid white and clean, etc. It represents heaven, etc etc you see where they're goin.

Not my theory, but something to think about anyway.

What Would Kevin Do?
06-28-2005, 02:46 AM
Interesting.... Very damn interesting.

Lamuella
06-28-2005, 06:14 PM
Ivor was Trevor's Tyler Durden.

He was the inner voice that knew everything that Trevor had done, drove Trevor's old car, was constantly hinting about what Trevor had done, what he had become.

He was the smug voice in the back of Trevor's head that told him he had sone something terrible, but wouldn't tell him what it was.

on another point: has anyone seen "The I Inside"? Very good film on similar lines, starring Ryan Philippe, Stephen Rea, Sarah Polley, Piper Perabo and Robert Sean Leonard.

AareDub
06-29-2005, 02:10 AM
on another point: has anyone seen "The I Inside"? Very good film on similar lines, starring Ryan Philippe, Stephen Rea, Sarah Polley, Piper Perabo and Robert Sean Leonard.

Never heard of it but will add it to my Netflix queue :y: