PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Stuff. (WWE Releases/TNA PPV this Sunday)

Loose Cannon
11-04-2004, 01:49 PM
Well obviously over the past week or so, we've all been a little shocked over how many guys the WWE let go. It's funny because in the newest Observer that I was reading before all the firings started happening, there is a section in ther about the WWE secretly helping TNA. The section goes as follows:

(Talking about decline in WWE business) "They be better offsecretly funding TNA to be a competitor and slipping real talent to them THAT IS STALE, and helping them get real television and giving work and experience to young wrestlers, who can then be brought up having then at least made a small name. When TNA went to McMahon a couple of years ago with that idea, they didn't get a call back. And as a public company, with a smarter fan base, it's hard to keep something like that on the sly."

------------------------------------------

Now when I heard about the releases and then went back and read that section and saw that sentence that I put in bold, I went "Woah, that's a little odd."

With TNA's Victory Road PPV coming up this Sunday, don't you think it's a little odd that the WWE is releasing all these guys a couple of days before the PPV? These guys can literally show up at the PPV this Sunday and surprise a lot of people who haven't heard of thier firing.

It's something to think about.

The Mackem
11-04-2004, 01:51 PM
But can they?

What about the no compete clause?

I don't think that TNA are going to benefit from this in the short term.

Loose Cannon
11-04-2004, 01:52 PM
yeah, just replied to your comment in the other thread. I don't know for sure. Sometimes they can sign with guys right away.

The Mackem
11-04-2004, 01:55 PM
It depends on how they are released doesn't it?

Another thing that I was thinking about is that TNA will surely have to let go of quite a lot of workers if they start bring in a lot of ex-WWE guys and I'm sure they want to keep most of their workers. I'd be pissed if someone like Sabin or someone was released to make way for A Train.

And if that happens, all the other indys are going to benefit methinks.

Kapoutman
11-04-2004, 01:55 PM
It depends on what was done with the released talent. Talent can either have their contracts bought out, which means they get a final compensation, then they have the no compete clause. On the other hand, they can also accept to only be released, which means they don't get a compensation, but they can compete right away.

Or the opposite, I am not sure.

Anyway, there are two ways to go.

The Mackem
11-04-2004, 01:58 PM
me and Kapoutman started a sentence the same way in the same minute. :cool:

Kapoutman
11-04-2004, 02:18 PM
me and Kapoutman started a sentence the same way in the same minute. :cool:
Oh yeah. *high-five*

Funky Fly
11-04-2004, 05:04 PM
The WWE can choose to waive the no compete clause at their discretion. This is not speculation, it's busness law.

The CyNick
11-05-2004, 12:09 AM
Most WWE talent have a no compete clause at the end of their contract.

Really, there's only one really one guy out of the list that I could see people care about, and thats Billy Gunn. Everyone else are a bunch of nobodys. Like I cant see a guy at home flipping through the channels, coming across TNA and going "HOLY SHIT, DID I JUST SEE RODNEY MACK ON TNA, WOW, TNA IS THE PLACE TO BE!!!!!!! I GOTTA WATCH THIS EVERY WEEK". And then calling all his friends to tell them.

If anything it would hit home how crap TNA really is, if all these guys who getting little if any time on WWE would all of sudden have major roles in TNA. It likes a new football league starting up and saying "weve got a ton of guys who couldn't make NFL practice squads....this is the place to be". It just doesn't work, go ahead ask Vince.

Like I said in another thread about this topic. If TNA was smart they would avoid using the vast majority of these guys and spend their time and money on building new stars that fans haven't seen yet.

Mr. JL
11-05-2004, 12:22 AM
The Tag Team Divsion could be amped up though

Big Vito + JOHNNY STAMBOLI
BG James + BILLY GUNN

Aussie Skier
11-05-2004, 01:19 AM
i hope test goes to TNA when he gets back.

I never really liked the guy, but i do feel really sorry 4 how he's been treated

KayfabeMan
11-05-2004, 02:52 AM
Billy, Chuck, Rico = Good For TNA :y: :)

Mr. Nerfect
11-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Billy, Chuck, Rico = Good For TNA :y: :)

:drool:

I think they can use their WWE names, too. This could be great if done right.

Mr. Nerfect
11-05-2004, 04:07 AM
Most WWE talent have a no compete clause at the end of their contract.

Really, there's only one really one guy out of the list that I could see people care about, and thats Billy Gunn. Everyone else are a bunch of nobodys. Like I cant see a guy at home flipping through the channels, coming across TNA and going "HOLY SHIT, DID I JUST SEE RODNEY MACK ON TNA, WOW, TNA IS THE PLACE TO BE!!!!!!! I GOTTA WATCH THIS EVERY WEEK". And then calling all his friends to tell them.

If anything it would hit home how crap TNA really is, if all these guys who getting little if any time on WWE would all of sudden have major roles in TNA. It likes a new football league starting up and saying "weve got a ton of guys who couldn't make NFL practice squads....this is the place to be". It just doesn't work, go ahead ask Vince.

Like I said in another thread about this topic. If TNA was smart they would avoid using the vast majority of these guys and spend their time and money on building new stars that fans haven't seen yet.

I agree with you, but I think if TNA brought them in as a stable, in theory it may work. Guys like Rodney Mack do look physically impressive, and if they come out and work as a stable, they could play the big fish in little ponds.

Iceman90
11-05-2004, 04:14 AM
TNA would be best to NOT bring these guys in. I can only see 3 of them going to TNA, Billy Gunn, Stamboli, and Chuck Palumbo.

The others could be brough in for 1 night as squash opponents to put TNA's own guys over.

I could however, see someone like Rodney Mack, if re-packaged properly, making a name for himself on the indy circuit.

Mr. Nerfect
11-05-2004, 04:55 AM
TNA would be best to NOT bring these guys in. I can only see 3 of them going to TNA, Billy Gunn, Stamboli, and Chuck Palumbo.

The others could be brough in for 1 night as squash opponents to put TNA's own guys over.

I could however, see someone like Rodney Mack, if re-packaged properly, making a name for himself on the indy circuit.

Just hae him call himself the "Redd Dogg", and have his wife by his side. That should be enough for him to do something. Chuck Palumbo & Billy Gunn could get into a who is the most dynamic tag team in the industry, enter BG James, who then joins up with Billy Gunn, which either forces Palumbo into 3 Live Kru, or into America's Most Wanted as a third member. Maybe Palumbo could become depressed, and go into a downward spiral leading to him finding Jim Mitchell, or "killing himself" and his death ahunts Billy, which eads to some tag loses for The Outlaws (putting over new teams). We then see Palumbo return with eaither Sean O'Haire or Johnny Stamboli.

If you choose O'Haire over Stamboli, you can have "The Bull" join the New York Connection. Maybe have them set up a Mafia type gimmick with Stamboli, Big Vito & Glen Gilberti?

Rico & Lenny Lane could form the third installment of the Rainbow Express. Nidia could play a valet for someone, as could Gail Kim quite easily. It's quite a shame Vince Russo is leaving, because I could see Kim hanging off his side as a prize for joining his forces. Maybe we could see Gail with Raven (there's just something about the two that clicks, IMO).

RP
11-05-2004, 06:56 AM
``Maybe Palumbo could become depressed, and go into a downward spiral leading to him finding Jim Mitchell, or "killing himself" and his death ahunts Billy, which eads to some tag loses for The Outlaws (putting over new teams). We then see Palumbo return with eaither Sean O'Haire or Johnny Stamboli.``

what are you stoopid?

Mr. Nerfect
11-05-2004, 07:28 AM
``Maybe Palumbo could become depressed, and go into a downward spiral leading to him finding Jim Mitchell, or "killing himself" and his death ahunts Billy, which eads to some tag loses for The Outlaws (putting over new teams). We then see Palumbo return with eaither Sean O'Haire or Johnny Stamboli.``

what are you stoopid?

Why is it stupid to speculate on an angle that could garnish attention?

RP
11-05-2004, 07:32 AM
well n/m i had a chance to think about it..katie vick came to mind.

RP
11-05-2004, 07:33 AM
I doubt thats the attention TNA would like to garnish.

Mr. Nerfect
11-05-2004, 07:46 AM
Any attention is good attention for TNA, at this point. And it would only be a month with titantrons airing saying "I'm cming back, Billy" or something. Just to build an atmosphere around Gunn & Palumbo.

Then in pops Palumbo who has just found a new gimmick now he's been revealed as a man who's turned to darkness to get revenge on a man who betrayed him.

RP
11-05-2004, 07:51 AM
I just dont see Palumbo in that kind of role. I'm all for a gimmick. But darkness death type Gimmick? I like the idea of him joining Americas most wanted. Maybe Gunn and RD forming there tag team again. WOuld defenetly make the TNA tag scene the elite of wrestling. If they are not already.

Mr. Nerfect
11-05-2004, 08:01 AM
I just dont see Palumbo in that kind of role. I'm all for a gimmick. But darkness death type Gimmick? I like the idea of him joining Americas most wanted. Maybe Gunn and RD forming there tag team again. WOuld defenetly make the TNA tag scene the elite of wrestling. If they are not already.

I agree, I can only see Palumbo in that role if he grew his hair back (which he said he wouldn't). America's Most Wanted as a signles wrestler would be interesting. I'd like to see a mid-card title brought in by TNA. Maybe call it the "TNA Championship" or something. This can be used by guys like Billy Gunn, Chuck Palumbo, Jerry Lynn, Rodney Mack, etc.

The Mackem
11-05-2004, 09:41 AM
I still can't see it happening.

Loose Cannon
11-05-2004, 10:02 AM
If they go after two guys, Test and Gunn are the best IMO.

The Mackem
11-05-2004, 10:06 AM
Incidentally, they won't be able to call either of those their recognisable names will they?

Loose Cannon
11-05-2004, 10:09 AM
hmmm, I think Billy Gunn they can use. Because it's not really a gimmick name, if that makes any since. Test, no they can't use that.

GODSON
11-05-2004, 10:10 AM
I think Palumbo will be good because he is young, marketable(when given a chance of course), and is a good wrestler in his own right.

Stamboli-same as Palumbo

Gunn-would be good

Those the only three TNA should sign.

But if I was TNA, I would sign Juvy before any of those guys.

The Mackem
11-05-2004, 10:13 AM
I thought it was a gimmick name from the smoking gunns days. His real name is something like Monty Sopp isn't it. LOL, if TNA use that name they deserve to go out of business.

Actually, that's a bit harsh.

Loose Cannon
11-05-2004, 10:17 AM
yea, that's his real name. I don't know, Billy Gunn just sounds like a normal name. I mean, Dusty Rhodes is not his real name, but he used it in both WCW and WWF. Same with Lugar, Duggan and bunch more. I think the deal with those though is you have to put like an adjective or whatever before the name. "Bad Ass" Billy Gunn is an example. "American Dream" Dusty Rhodes.

So TNA could use "Blazin" Billy Gunn. lol

The Mackem
11-05-2004, 10:19 AM
It sounds better than Marvellous Monty Sopp :D