PDA

View Full Version : Trash Talking in Sports

BCWWF
11-05-2004, 09:18 PM
How much does it really go on?

I've played soccer my whole life, and the shit that goes on there doesn't seem like it would happen in professional sports. Just like cheap shots and quiet attacks. In professional sports, you can see people talking shit, like Sam Cassell and stuff, but it doesn't seem like the same thing. Thats just like

"You can't handle this"

And just like taunts like that. I dunno, it just doesn't seem like a lot of real shit talking goes on. Then most games end up with the guys hugging or whatnot. I guess you can't do a lot of shit because everybody is famous and you wouldn't forget it, but meh.

What do you guys think. This was really random.

DegenerationY
11-05-2004, 09:32 PM
I'd believe the contrary, actually.

Most fights that go on during games are due to trash talking and cheap shots that go unnoticed by most people.

And players don't forget who said and/or did what.

YOUR Hero
11-05-2004, 09:52 PM
I think it depends a lot on what sport it is.

The Miz
11-05-2004, 09:55 PM
Yeah, what hero said, blackies are more prone to fighting

slextremely
11-05-2004, 10:06 PM
The segments on ESPN, where they have a mic on one of the football players, there is always trash talking after every play.

BCWWF
11-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Well take for example the offensive and defensive lines in a pro football game. Obviously they are going to be in there saying stuff, but do you think its more stuff to motivate and pump themselves up, or do you think they are throwing personal insults and stuff around?

The Outlaw
11-06-2004, 04:21 AM
It's different at different levels. During high school, I trash talked a lot. It made the game fun and more intense. In college, you don't trash talk as much but you just kind of tell the guy in front of you you're coming for him and whatnot. I have no ideas in pros, but it looks like there is some talking going on. Senrab could enlighten us about the pros. ;)

El Capitano Gatisto
11-06-2004, 04:27 AM
Cricket is famous for the tauntings that go on between players, the Australians seeing it as a key part of their game. I know it goes on in professional football too, to try and make players angry.

Craig Bellamy does it constantly during matches. Danny Mills tried winding Thierry Henry up one time, with verbal abuse and fouls, then Henry just decided to humiliate him with the ball by being brilliant.

packt up
11-06-2004, 11:25 AM
Craig Bellamy is a cock of a person, complete windup merchant.

And I'm a Newcastle supporter.

Good player though.

Took
11-06-2004, 05:39 PM
That's what I love about Hockey..if you talk shit, you'll pay for it, unlike in all the other sports. All these guys in the NBA and NFL talk trash, and dance around, and beat their chests trying to act macho, yet it's so fucking amusing and just lame. To watch those guys in the NBA like Iverson beat their chest and shit..wtf..

In Hockey you can do it, but they generally dont as much, cuz if they do, the other team is gonna hurt you. But the shit that goes on between the benches is always funny as fuck. I can still remember hearing Kevin Stevens calling Brian Bellows a fucking pussy, among other not so complimentary terms.

As for someone calling Blackie more prone to fighting..why's that? There are no fights in most of the sports they are any good in.

Ogen
11-06-2004, 10:05 PM
The armed robbery olympics are full of fights actually Took

Rain Man
11-06-2004, 11:57 PM
Trash talking occurs more in High School Lacrosse when you play those private school pricks. They think they are god's gift to the world.. God Damn I hate those kids... :foc:

DegenerationY
11-07-2004, 02:51 AM
Bitter much?

ct2k
11-07-2004, 02:21 PM
I used to trash talk people a lot playing footie and soccer in high school. Cricket i usually play with my friends so there's plenty of friendly ribbing going on too.

VonErich Lives
11-07-2004, 03:15 PM
yeah, NFL has a lot of trash talking, from what I've seen and people I've talked to (pros).

Cheap shots do happen, but there's a line most don't cross... there's a difference between "it's only a penalty if you don't get caught" holds and such, but chop blocks, late hits, etc... don't happen often...

the two that I can think of off hand that are pretty dirty are Harrison - Pats, there's a reason he has the NFL record in fines... I like'em, he's a good player and all, but he does a lot of dirty shit that puts players at risk of injury that he shouldn't.

the other, I can't think of his name off hand... the Center on the Jets.. even got nailed twice a few weeks ago for using his cast as a club.