PDA

View Full Version : Question: How many teams in the USA actually play where they originally started

The Mackem
11-08-2004, 09:21 AM
It's really confusing how a team can just up and leave for somewhere else. Do any teams originally from New York actually still play in New York, or what? It would be horrible supporting a team and then, for some reason, they just start playing on the other side of the country. Imagine if Stima's team decided to play in San Francisco, there would be riots.

:n: :mad: :n:

Ogen
11-08-2004, 09:39 AM
Yeah it's pretty stupid. Wimbeldon are the only team I know of to do it in England and it backfired for them horribly they've no fans now and AFC Wimbeldon are flying through the leagues. Wimbeldon wanted to move to Dublin first actually which I would have been in favour of just to go see them get beat every week.

BCWWF
11-08-2004, 09:40 AM
A lot of older teams started in the bigger cities in the East, but then when more money was involved and traveling became easier expansion to the west occurred and the extra teams moved out there, basically.

I could make a list of all the teams that are still at their original origin, but it'd take too long right now.

DaveWadding
11-08-2004, 12:04 PM
and in hockey they went south.

el fregadero
11-08-2004, 01:04 PM
San Francisco Red Sox

VonErich Lives
11-08-2004, 01:25 PM
The "New England Patriots" almost went to Conniticut a few years ago. They originally were the Boston Patriots and played in Fenway Park, BU, Harvard and possible somewhere else... before going to foxboro

el fregadero
11-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Jacksonville still plays in the same stadium they always have. :shifty:

ct2k
11-08-2004, 01:44 PM
Yankees and Mets are both native to New York since their inception. So are the Knicks i would assume. Dunno about the Giants and Jets in NFL. No idea with NHL.

See i always think teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, Tigers and Cubs could never be moved from their respective cities...But the Dodgers and Giants were as much loved in New York as any team could be and they were shipped all the way to the west coast.

Kinda scares me :-\

Loose Cannon
11-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Ok Ready: Stay with me here

BASEBALL

1) The Baltimore Orioles became the NY Highlanders in 1903. The NY Highlanders became the NY Yankees in 1913. They've stayed in NY ever since. That Orioles team lasted 2 seasons.

2) The 1901 Milwaukee Brewers became the St. Louis Browns in 1902. The Browns became the Baltimore Orioles in 1954. The Orioles have stayed ever since.

3) The Boston Red Sox have never moved. They changed names though. First called the Americans, then the Somersets, then the Pilgrams, then the Red Sox.

4) Phillies, Cardinals, Pirates, Tigers, Reds, Indians both Chicago teams never moved out form where they are now, but all have changed names a couple of times, except for the Tigers and White Sox. The Cubs have an interesting story though.

5) The 1876 Chicago White Stockings became the Chicago Colts in 1890, who became the Chicago Orphans in 1898, who became the Chicago Cubs in 1903

6) The 1876 Boston Red Caps became the Boston Beaneaters in 1883, who became the Boston Doves in 1907, who became the Boston Braves in 1911, who became the Boston Bees in 1936, who became the Boston Braves again in 1941, who became the Milwaukee Braves in 1953, who became THE ATLANTA BRAVES in 1966. Like that one right :y:

7) Brooklyn Dodgers (whom had many names before) moved to LA in 1958.

8)The 1901 Philladelphia A's moved to KC in 1955, then moved to Oakland in 1968.

9)The 1883 NY Gothams became the NY Giants in 1885, who became the SF Giants in 1958

10) The 1901 Washington Senators became the Minnesota Twins in the 1960's

Okay, I think I got all the original teams from the early 1900's.

Loose Cannon
11-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Forgot the Giants.

The 1883 NY Gothams became the NY Giants in 1885, who became the SF Giants in 1958

Supreme Olajuwon
11-08-2004, 03:07 PM
The Reds have been in Cincinnati since 1869 and probably won't leave ever

Triple A
11-08-2004, 03:09 PM
New York Knickerbockers

The Mackem
11-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Isn't one of the current New York teams in New Jersey or something at the moment?

Gonzo
11-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Both the Jets and Giants play their games in East Rutherford, New Jersey. Both teams have been in the New York area since inception. Giants used to play at the Polo Grounds and Yankee Stadium.

Triple A
11-08-2004, 03:30 PM
New Jersey Nets used to be New York.

road doggy dogg
11-08-2004, 03:32 PM
Green Bay Packers used to play in Milwaukee before the best stadium in any sport ever was created :cool:

Bad Guy
11-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Green Bay Packers used to play in Milwaukee before the best stadium in any sport ever was created :cool:

Ford Field?

Ricky
11-08-2004, 03:35 PM
I think it's a fucking disgrace when teams are franchised and moved around the way Wimbledon have. The sooner Milton Keynes go out of business the better and it can not be allowed to happen to any other football team in this country ever again.

Oh and we beat them twice last week, haha wankers.

BCWWF
11-08-2004, 05:09 PM
Its a little different in England. The teams and cities there have been around for such a long time, and just about every city has a team, whether premiership or fourth division (whatever its called). The league system over there is totally different too. There is only one league that matters in each US sport, so the city has to be able to support that team.

That being said, moving sports teams doesn't happen all that much anymore. The recent ones I can think of are: Montreal Expos to Washington DC, Charlotte Hornets to New Orleans, Vancouver Grizzlies to Memphis, Cleveland Browns to Baltimore Ravens, Houston Oilers to Tennessee Titans, and then there was quite a few in hockey in the early 1990's. There is a little more that goes into it than "we could make more money over here, lets pack up and go"

Basically, most of the moves took place before the leagues were really established. If you look at the NFL, the teams have pretty much been set for a while now. If you look at when baseball teams used to move a lot, it was at an era when a lot of new teams were forming, and a lot of new markets were opening up. For example there would be multiple teams in random cities, and then they would move out West to a new city that was opening up. Then in basketball, there used to be the NBA and the ABA I believe, so when they merged obviously there was going to be some changes.

Theres a lot more to it than just packing up and leaving, and when the teams do leave its usually not the team being greedy. The Minnesota Twins are threatening to leave, and if they do I would be pissed but honestly it makes sense. The city doesn't help them out at all, so they have to play in one of the bottom three stadiums in the MLB, and they draw 1/3 of capacity on average. Its not the same as in England.

DaveWadding
11-08-2004, 05:20 PM
there was quite a few in hockey in the early 1990's. There is a little more that goes into it than "we could make more money over here, lets pack up and go"

Winnipeg Jets --> Phoenix Coyotes
Hartford Whalers --> Carolina Hurricanes
Atlanta Flames --> Calgary Flames
Quebec Nordiques --> Colorado Avalanche
Minnesota North Stars --> Dallas Stars

that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

The Highlander
11-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Where the hell is a British team gonna go? England is a little island, America is friggin huge. If England was as big in area as the United States, there would be a substancial difference on one side of the country than another, and teams would move more often.

1933: Art Rooney creates a football team in Pittsburgh, PA, and names them the Pirates after the city's Baseball team. In 1940, they were renamed "Steelers" to honor the city's blue-collor steel workers, but in 1941 World War II forced the Steelers to combine with first the Eagles, then the Cardinals, after which they've continued to be the Pittsburgh Steelers