PDA

View Full Version : Great column from TPWW main page

Avenger
12-09-2003, 02:30 PM
Yeah so I just read Fred Venturini's "Right Angle" and it brings up everything that's been in y head the last few weeks. I know a lot of you guys don't read the main page so maybe you can read this and stop some of your senseless WWE bashing (it's not everyone BTW. just some of you)

A lot of people have been busy bitching and moaning about the quality of the Raw product for the past two years or so, but I think now is the time to stop whining and recognize that the flagship WWE show has turned the corner, and they have a lot of momentum rolling on Monday nights right now.

Don’t believe me? Here’s 5 big reasons why Raw is much better. Compare these reasons with a month of Raw from early 2002.

5. The WWE has finally figured out how to use Goldberg. This is an important one, because, of course, this guy is the World Champion. As evidence, I present this last Monday night, when Goldberg called out both Kane and HHH. This is a man, a monster, who doesn’t care about waiting for PPV’s or main events—he wants to kick ass, right here, right now. He didn’t spew catchphrases and is good at looking mean and throwing people around. We also found out that he’s good at sounding pissed. The promo, along with his need to kick ass on the spot, combined with the fact that he still looks human losing (although it takes an army to beat him down and make him lose) reveals that the WWE finally has a grip on Goldberg, and I fully expect him to retain at Armageddon.

4. Interesting storylines lower in the card. Raw has lacked intrigue in segments other than the main events and top guys. Bischoff, Austin, HHH, and Goldberg were the only “big” interesting things simmering on Raw, but now, we’ve got a little more to chew on lower in the card. The Trish, Jericho, Christian, Hardy, Lita fiasco is generating some interest in the matches that it’s created so far, as well as the on-air activity that has been a product of the storyline. This is top card treatment for lower card storylines, which is exactly what Raw needs. I also like the Cade-Jindrak quasi-heel quest for the titles, along with the Booker T- Mark Henry feud.

3. Patience in developing storylines and cliffhangers. We’ve watched Trish and Jericho stumble over their relationship for weeks, and now, we’re excited to see how she’ll react to being “played.” Same goes for Christian and Lita. Henry and Booker T have had steady heat going since Survivor Series. HBK and Batista are slowly building for a showdown. The writers seem to have taken a more leisurely pace, which creates more detail, more interest, and better climaxes and payoffs. While I don’t expect Armageddon to be great, I expect it to be good and satisfying in terms of angles concluding / starting up.

2. Announcing main events a week beforehand. This one is self-explanatory. Raw has more of a “can’t miss” feel when a big match builds for a week. Does the NFL wait until Sunday to announce a game between first place teams? Hell no, it’s already on the schedule for excitement to build and build until kickoff takes place. Same goes for Raw. The Goldberg matches with HHH and now, Kane, will benefit from a fan standpoint and rating standpoint by being announced ahead of time. This also tells me the writers have a plan, and they have their act together. All good things.

1. Unpredictability. The major advantage Raw has over Smackdown is the live format. This adds a feeling to watching the show that Smackdown cannot imitate, and the only way to take advantage of that is to be unpredictable. This Monday’s Raw took advantage in a big way, with the surprise entrance of Foley into the mix, as well as his big announcements, his fight with Bischoff, and his firing of someone in almost every segment. Foley has always been an unpredictable wrestler, and that feeling has been captured in his administrative character. Sure, he copped out on the firings, but you smiled when he canned people, didn’t you? It surprised you, as it did me. The live crowd is a hot crowd, and as long as crazy stuff keeps going down in each segment, Raw is going to be great. Foley only helps this, and it’s going to intensify when a pissed off Austin is unleashed once more. And face it—no one saw the Jericho-Christian “bet” coming. Unpredictability is key, and Raw has captured that feeling, if only for a few glorious weeks.

Because of these reasons, Raw has been better and should gain plenty of momentum heading into Wrestlemania XX. Of course, this is only true if they stick to these five reasons that Raw has done a good job in representing the last few weeks.

Send feedback to monster_of_the_midway@yahoo.com

Vega
12-09-2003, 02:34 PM
Yep, I agree. And thank god that it started getting good again, since I don't get Smackdown anymore now that I'm in college.

The Ravishing One
12-09-2003, 05:52 PM
Yeah so I just read Fred Venturini's "Right Angle" and it brings up everything that's been in y head the last few weeks. I know a lot of you guys don't read the main page so maybe you can read this and stop some of your senseless WWE bashing (it's not everyone BTW. just some of you)

A lot of people have been busy bitching and moaning about the quality of the Raw product for the past two years or so, but I think now is the time to stop whining and recognize that the flagship WWE show has turned the corner, and they have a lot of momentum rolling on Monday nights right now.

Don’t believe me? Here’s 5 big reasons why Raw is much better. Compare these reasons with a month of Raw from early 2002.

5. The WWE has finally figured out how to use Goldberg. This is an important one, because, of course, this guy is the World Champion. As evidence, I present this last Monday night, when Goldberg called out both Kane and HHH. This is a man, a monster, who doesn’t care about waiting for PPV’s or main events—he wants to kick ass, right here, right now. He didn’t spew catchphrases and is good at looking mean and throwing people around. We also found out that he’s good at sounding pissed. The promo, along with his need to kick ass on the spot, combined with the fact that he still looks human losing (although it takes an army to beat him down and make him lose) reveals that the WWE finally has a grip on Goldberg, and I fully expect him to retain at Armageddon.

4. Interesting storylines lower in the card. Raw has lacked intrigue in segments other than the main events and top guys. Bischoff, Austin, HHH, and Goldberg were the only “big” interesting things simmering on Raw, but now, we’ve got a little more to chew on lower in the card. The Trish, Jericho, Christian, Hardy, Lita fiasco is generating some interest in the matches that it’s created so far, as well as the on-air activity that has been a product of the storyline. This is top card treatment for lower card storylines, which is exactly what Raw needs. I also like the Cade-Jindrak quasi-heel quest for the titles, along with the Booker T- Mark Henry feud.

3. Patience in developing storylines and cliffhangers. We’ve watched Trish and Jericho stumble over their relationship for weeks, and now, we’re excited to see how she’ll react to being “played.” Same goes for Christian and Lita. Henry and Booker T have had steady heat going since Survivor Series. HBK and Batista are slowly building for a showdown. The writers seem to have taken a more leisurely pace, which creates more detail, more interest, and better climaxes and payoffs. While I don’t expect Armageddon to be great, I expect it to be good and satisfying in terms of angles concluding / starting up.

2. Announcing main events a week beforehand. This one is self-explanatory. Raw has more of a “can’t miss” feel when a big match builds for a week. Does the NFL wait until Sunday to announce a game between first place teams? Hell no, it’s already on the schedule for excitement to build and build until kickoff takes place. Same goes for Raw. The Goldberg matches with HHH and now, Kane, will benefit from a fan standpoint and rating standpoint by being announced ahead of time. This also tells me the writers have a plan, and they have their act together. All good things.

1. Unpredictability. The major advantage Raw has over Smackdown is the live format. This adds a feeling to watching the show that Smackdown cannot imitate, and the only way to take advantage of that is to be unpredictable. This Monday’s Raw took advantage in a big way, with the surprise entrance of Foley into the mix, as well as his big announcements, his fight with Bischoff, and his firing of someone in almost every segment. Foley has always been an unpredictable wrestler, and that feeling has been captured in his administrative character. Sure, he copped out on the firings, but you smiled when he canned people, didn’t you? It surprised you, as it did me. The live crowd is a hot crowd, and as long as crazy stuff keeps going down in each segment, Raw is going to be great. Foley only helps this, and it’s going to intensify when a pissed off Austin is unleashed once more. And face it—no one saw the Jericho-Christian “bet” coming. Unpredictability is key, and Raw has captured that feeling, if only for a few glorious weeks.

Because of these reasons, Raw has been better and should gain plenty of momentum heading into Wrestlemania XX. Of course, this is only true if they stick to these five reasons that Raw has done a good job in representing the last few weeks.

Send feedback to monster_of_the_midway@yahoo.com
:y: :yes:

Extreme Angle
05-31-2005, 07:16 AM
Bump!

Chavo Classic
09-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Ghay

Avenger
09-06-2006, 07:31 PM
fuck off

:D