PDA

View Full Version : Biggest choke city in sports

BCWWF
12-04-2004, 09:37 PM
What would it be? I could see people saying Boston in the past, but if you said that now you'd be an idiot. Then you could say Chicago, but the Bulls won 6 NBA championships in the 1990's. I didn't really put much thought into this, but here are some that I have thought of.

Houston: I am pretty sure they didn't win an NBA championship with Hakeem, and the Astros have never made a World Series

Minnesota: Gophers were NCAA hockey champs twice (2002-2003 I think), Twins won World Series in 1991 and 1987, besides that: Vikings have lost 4 Superbowls and the whole 1998 season.

Seattle: My information is probably wrong and Miz will correct it, but I don't remember the Mariners winning a World Series recently, even after a 116 win season. I'm not sure when the Seahawks or Sonics have won last either.

Milwaukee: They haven't won a World Series since the 1950's and I don't think the Bucks have ever won an NBA championship

Indianapolis: The Pacers have often been a great team to end up not winning a Championship, and the Colts have had some really good teams but never made a Superbowl

Buffalo: The Bills lost a few Superbowls in a row and I seem to remember the Sabres losing the Stanley Cup a few times

Philadelphia: I don't know the stats here, but the Eagles haven't been to a Superbowl since 1981 (when they lost) and we've seen them recently. The Phillies lost the World Series in the early 1990's, I'm not sure what they did before that. I'm not sure what the Dr. J 76ers did, but I am pretty sure the Flyers haven't won it all in a while.

Oakland: The A's might have won something a while ago, but the Raiders have been a big choke since moving to Oakland and I don't think the Warriors were ever good. You could add San Jose in there too, they haven't finished the job lately.

Theres probably like 10 more that I could list, but I don't really know. What city do you think is the one to always have the good team but never follow through?

YOUR Hero
12-04-2004, 09:50 PM
My first thought is Buffalo. 4 SuperBowl losses in a row, and the Sabres' have never won, only lost in Stanley Cup final series.

Zen v.W.o.
12-04-2004, 09:56 PM
Buffalo and Philly. I'd place Ottawa up there too considering they've supposedly had the best team in the NHL for the past 3 seasons yet cant get past the first two rounds.

Bo
12-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Houston: I am pretty sure they didn't win an NBA championship with Hakeem, and the Astros have never made a World Series

Indianapolis: The Pacers have often been a great team to end up not winning a Championship, and the Colts have had some really good teams but never made a Superbowl

The Rockets won the 94 and 95 NBA Championship

And Indianpolis/ Baltimore Colts have 4 world championships.

Loose Cannon
12-04-2004, 10:27 PM
lol Eric Byrnes

BCWWF
12-04-2004, 10:39 PM
The Rockets won the 94 and 95 NBA Championship

And Indianpolis/ Baltimore Colts have 4 world championships.

My bad, I don't know why I messed up the Rockets one. According to the website I looked at, the Indianapolis Colts have never as much as appeared in a Super Bowl, and the Baltimore Colts don't play in Indiana, so they don't really count.

VonErich Lives
12-04-2004, 11:16 PM
What would it be? I could see people saying Boston in the past

explain that one...

Yeah, sox 86 years... but thats one sport.

Celtics, 8 in a row, 11 out of 13 years, 16 overall (or is it 17).

Bruins have a few cups.

Pats before they won in 2001, had gone twice, some teams have never gone.

BU, BC, Harvard Hockey, all national champs, multiple times (since you listed the Golden gophers).

Top off my head, I'd have to go Buffalo, w/ the Bills leading that charge.

Gertner
12-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Buffalo

CLEVELAND!!!!!!!!!

VonErich Lives
12-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Buffalo

CLEVELAND!!!!!!!!!

yeah, forgot about cleveland... good'ol Marty "Can't win the big one" Shottenhiemer, couldn't get past Denever... the Indiains couldn't get it done.
The Cavs.. nevermind... :p

oh and another boston note... while they sox may have gone 86 years, they're now alone in 3rd for most WS wins. (they were in a 6way tie).

KingofOldSchool
12-04-2004, 11:29 PM
Indiana:

Pacers
Colts
Purdue back in the 90s

OssMan
12-04-2004, 11:38 PM
Washington

the Redskins were good in like the 80's or so won a superbowl. I don't think the Bullets/Wizards were ever any good. the Capitols went to the Stanley Cup a few years ago, and that was like the first time in a while.

I was not alive for most of this you see, so I am probably completely wrong :o

KingofOldSchool
12-04-2004, 11:53 PM
In order to be a "Choke city" they have to be good, then end up losing when it matters most.

So just because a team sucks, doesn't mean they are "Choke" artists.

The Miz
12-04-2004, 11:53 PM
Seattle

John la Rock
12-04-2004, 11:57 PM
Buffallo. Can't forget those 4 time Superbowl Finalist Bills and Stanley Cup Finalist Sabres :cool:

MVP
12-05-2004, 12:17 AM
Cleveland came to mind first.

DaveBrawl
12-05-2004, 12:38 AM
Washington

the Redskins were good in like the 80's or so won a superbowl. I don't think the Bullets/Wizards were ever any good. the Capitols went to the Stanley Cup a few years ago, and that was like the first time in a while.

I was not alive for most of this you see, so I am probably completely wrong :o

The Skins won in 92, Bullets won in 1978 (somehow).

But yeah I'd have to go with Cleveland and those world famous Browns.

BCWWF
12-05-2004, 01:00 AM
VEL, that Boston quote was taken out of context! What I was saying is that the ignorant person would say Boston or Chicago because those "curses" are pretty widely talked about. Then I went on to explain how they didn't fit this criteria.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
12-05-2004, 02:05 AM
Philly came to my head 1st because of the AFC Title game stuff, plus weren't the Flyers also suppose to be one of the best teams and they never came through? I don't know if Philly completely fits "choker" status with the other sports though.

Buffallo came to my mind aswell, but that is kinda cheap since they only have 2 sports there.

Triple A
12-05-2004, 05:22 AM
New York

The Miz
12-05-2004, 11:34 AM
I don't know if Philly completely fits "choker" status with the other sports though.
Well every year is supposed to be "the Phillies year to beat the Braves" and it never happens. I remember at the beginning of last season everyone had the Phillies has the 2nd best team in the national league, what a joke

Jesus Shuttlesworth
12-05-2004, 01:45 PM
New Yorkhahah I dunno about that, maybe this year though

Innovator
12-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Cleveland was ranked the worst sports city

YOUR Hero
12-05-2004, 10:21 PM
Philly? well the Flyers won the cup twice and didn't the 76ers win a championship or two? I mean Buffalo has nothing. Everytime they make the big show they loose. Stima's right about the fact it only includes two sports though.

BCWWF
12-05-2004, 10:50 PM
During the Eagles game today, the announcer said that the last team in Philly to win a major championship (MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA) was the 76ers and that was in 1983

YOUR Hero
12-05-2004, 11:02 PM
...but they've still had winners.

MoRcHeEbA
12-05-2004, 11:09 PM
you're a real winner scot :y:

Jesus Shuttlesworth
12-05-2004, 11:10 PM
A choke team isnt really a team that just doesn't win though. I don't know, to be a choke job you have to be expect to win, or be in a situation to win and blow it. Its kinda hard to be a "choke city" since its pretty hard to be excepted to win in all 4 major sports, and then somehow lose.

Gertner
12-05-2004, 11:11 PM
The whole Province of B.C

My Argo's owned the Lions

The Grizzles blew

And the Canucks are 0 for 2 I believe.

YOUR Hero
12-05-2004, 11:18 PM
you're a real winner scot :y:

Thank you, although everyone already knows it. :kiss: