PDA

View Full Version : ooooo look, a discussion topic: Tag titles

Fignuts
12-08-2004, 06:14 PM
The tag divisions in both brands have been pretty bad for a while now. There have been times when I have even forgotten who the champs are. The reason is not enough tag teams. And WWE solves this by randomly throwing together singles workers. But those teams are always just temporary. My question is this. Should WWE make the tag titles a universal championship? As in unifying the two titles, And having them defended on both shows like the undisputed title was. This could solve the tag problem, but it may make interpromotional matches a little less special when they happen. Discuss.

jerichoholic169
12-08-2004, 06:28 PM
i think the Raw vs Smackdown PS2 game summed it up for me: they aren't any tag team titles.

they screwed it up with the random lottery when they split a few tag teams up - cade & jindrak, WGTT, gave bradshaw a push, kicked rikishi out etc.

RVD & rey probably will stay as a tag team as i remember it was said somewhere on this forum that rey was done with the CW scene and RVD ain't EVER gonna get pushed for the WWE title with the amount of face challengers there is at the moment. i think they do pretty well as a tag team as they actaully bother to have some decent tag-team moves rather than just kicks in the corner. kenzo and rene are making looking at a split after this weeks smackdown which leaves the bashams as the only tag team until the dudleys return.

i wont even start on the raw scene.

WWE doesnt seem to give a damn about the tag titles anymore but i really cant see them having an undisputed tag title. they've tried to get two different products so that when there's a big event, SS, RR, WM & summerslam, there can be two completely different rosters that only get to interact at these times. that makes it that much more special and better.

tag titles defended on both shows would lead to problems when there are two different PPVs a month, i.e. in october when there was taboo tuesday and no mercy in quick succession. that would lead them cack all time to build up to the PPV. not that WWE seem to care about that when they give RVD & rey the titles a few days before armageddon.

thats my thoughts anyway if you can understand them.

Mr. JL
12-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Meh... the Tag team Division is fucked..

I believe the Triple X V. America's Most Wanted Cage Matches can be compared to the Dudleys, Hardys & Christian/Edge Tables, Ladders & Chairs matches.

The CyNick
12-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Well TNA will be out of business soon, so maybe WWE will sign Triple X and AMW.

Yes, they should have unified tag champs, just like they should have a unified Heavyweight champion. At least if they unified the tag titles, there would be a grand total of 5 teams fighting for one set of titles, instead of 3 teams fighting for one set of titles and 2 teams fighting over another set.

I would assume the Bashams will get the tag titles now that they have been put with JBL.

mike627
12-08-2004, 09:09 PM
Well TNA will be out of business soon, so maybe WWE will sign Triple X and AMW.

Yes, they should have unified tag champs, just like they should have a unified Heavyweight champion. At least if they unified the tag titles, there would be a grand total of 5 teams fighting for one set of titles, instead of 3 teams fighting for one set of titles and 2 teams fighting over another set.

I would assume the Bashams will get the tag titles now that they have been put with JBL. I wolud much rather have XXX and AMW in ROH than WWE becuase in the WWE their moveset will be screwed and eventually the creative team will split them up.

Savio
12-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Yeah just have 1 (2?) belts and pass emm around at the PPVs

Eunos
12-08-2004, 09:34 PM
I wouldnt be suprised if in the near future they just scrapped them.

It would be a shame but these days it's nothing more then just 2 guys thrown together.

I miss the days of teams with names who wore the same Outfit's etc.

Mr. Nerfect
12-09-2004, 02:55 AM
Here are some little comments I'd like to make about the current tag scene:

-I'd like to see the titles stay seperate. The WWE needs to MAKE the scenes work, though. Fans aren't going to buy that two guys working together one night are as good as Edge & Christian.

-Bring up some guys from OVW. Johnny Nitro & Danny Inferno would make a great team on RAW. Have them beat up Eric Bischoff when he tries to hit on Melina. Actually give them matching themed attire, the same entrance music, a valet, and some good tag team moves. Have Nitro & Inferno start off strong so they look too good to be released by Eric Bischoff. So instead he gives them lots of shit. Sort of like Austin vs. McMahon, but with a tag team instead of one man. Have Nitro & Inferno play the wrestling prodigees, but have them the dislikable smart-asses prodigees.

-Have Muhammad Hassan & Khasrow Daivari team. I don't know why they are limiting Shawn Daivari, but he can work, and with the lack of tag teams it would have made sense to put these guys on SmackDown!. I would love to see Muhammad Hassan play a "Hulk Hogan" type character, where "U-S-A" chants really get him going. I think Hassan/Daivari could work really well as faces on RAW.

-Keep Eugene & Regal together as champs. Have them wear matching attire, and give Regal a ring-jacket. Have them pull finishing moves out of thin air for quick wins. Have them defend the titles on both RAW and Heat (even against jobbers). This goes with Regal's statements of "bringing prestige back to these titles." and Eric Bischoff's natural hate for William & Eugene.

-La Resistance should be kept strong. Either keep them on RAW, or move them to SmackDown!. Either way we should be seeing many more victories for Rob Conway & Sylvain Grenier.

-Rene Dupree & Kenzo Suzuki make a good tag team, IMO. My dad watched SmackDown! when he was over one night, and he actually found these guys the most entertaining and intrigueing guys on the show. Kepe them as the La Resistance of SmackDown!. If the titles don't fit anyone else, give them to Dupree & Suzuki.

-The Dudleys can make great heels if given the chance. Let them cut savage promos and don't censor the heat.

-I think Paul London & Billy Kidman should get back together as the ultimate heel team on SmackDown!. Evil Rockers, if you will.

-Los Guerreros could play the babyfaces to counteract them.

-Back on RAW, I think Rosey & Hurricane should really fly around together. But given the amount of face teams RAW can already has (Rhyno/Tajiri, Eugene/Regal), these guys could be better on SmackDown!. Seriosuly, who wouldn't be marking out if Rosey hit a Splash from the top rope on some poor cruiserweight.

-I still have high hopes of Garrison Cade and Shawn Michaels going to SmackDown!, and Cade rejoining Mark Jindrak as the fourth member of "Team Angle", by betraying his mentor.

-A Japanese tag team that actually wins matches could be good together. I'm thinking Funaki (as the Cruiserweight Champ), Ultimo Dragon & Akio as a stable would be entertaining to watch. Maybe add Suzuki as an enforcer when it is time for Dupree & Suzuki to be split. Tajiri & Hiroko could be added at later dates, as well. Maybe even Rhyno (like what Owen Hart was to the Nation of Domination).

There are many more options, but these are just some things that I believe could make tag team wrestling a bit better in the WWE.

Dorkchop
12-09-2004, 01:12 PM
The tag division will never be how it was a few years ago. I miss it greatly. I mean WWF's tag teams were so huge they were getting main event matches against HHH, Stone Cold, Undertaker, Rock and more.

Hardy Boyz vs Stone Cold and HHH (and winning)
E and C vs Undertaker and Rock (and actually beating them for the belts)
Jericho and the Dudleyz vs Angle and E and C

asiofhasuios. Now I'm sad :(

Savio
12-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Funaki is buried.

Mr. Nerfect
12-10-2004, 01:52 AM
Funaki is buried.

Hopefully he wins the WWE Cruiserweight Championship soon. That could give him a slight boost.

Kane Knight
12-10-2004, 02:06 AM
Reality check: are there really enough people in either locker room right now to support the number of blets? I mean, when you saw the "entire locker room" of Raw in a battle royal, didn't it seem like there were too few people to support it?

Will splitting a tag team belt between shows help or hurt the situation of brand time? Won't it lead to more crosspromotion time, and defeat the purpose of separate shows in the first place?

Mr. Nerfect
12-10-2004, 05:47 PM
The best option for the tag division is to bring in more teams, IMO. Bring in some guys from the independant scene, and promote a few OVW guys. Stcikg usty with no singles direction together, and maybe force a few major guys together. Maven & Shelton Benjamin as a face & heel tag team? I can see Eric Bischiff sticking them together as a way to get the World Tag Team Championship away from Euegen & William Regal, and if Maven & Benjamin don't beat Eugene & Regal then Maven is the IC Champion.

It saddens me to see the WWE Tag Team Championship change hands less than one week before the PPV. The only way I can see myself liking this idea is if they change the PPV match to Rey Mysterio & Rob Van Dam vs. The Basham Brothers, and have the titles change hands. I seriosuly can't remember the time the titles changed hands on PPV. I would have been happy to see RVD-619 take the belts at the PPV, but why do it on a SmackDown!? A PPV change would have really boosted the division, IMO.

Looking back, R-V-D & R-E-Y won the titles from Suzuki & Dupree on SmackDown!, Dupree & Suzuki won the belts from Kidman & London on SmackDown!, who won the titles from The Dudleys on an edition of SmackDown!. I'm not sure if The Dudleys won the titles on SmackDown! from Haas & Rico, or on PPV. I have a feeling it was SmackDown!. Haas & Rico won the belts from Scotty 2 Hotty & Rikishi on SmackDown!. They may have even won the titles from The Bashams on SmackDown! as well. I think I remember the Bashams taking the titles on SmackDown!, too.

It's alright to have the titles change hands on SmackDown!, but why only on SmackDown!? I hope we see the titles change hands at Armageddon. Or the Royal Rumble. Hopefully 2005 will be the turn-around for the WWE Tag Team Championship. I can barely remember the titles being contested on PPV, let alone changing hands there.

Kane Knight
12-10-2004, 11:55 PM
I barely remember the tag titles in general.

It's sad, because it's got so much storytelling potential. You CAN have uneasy allies, which doesn't work as well with singles belts.

The problem is, you can't just throw in OVW stars. People care little enough with established stars. They need a couple of teams to really heat things up, not developmental talent...

...at least, not until some interest has been returned.

XL
12-11-2004, 04:14 PM
An alternative to having one set of titles over two shows is to have one tag titles on one of the shows and move all the tag teams there.

Remember after the roster split where th etitles were distributed between the shows?? SD! got the cruiserweights so all the cruiserweights went to SD! (Hurricane, chavo et al) the women's title went to RAW so all the decent female wrestlers went to RAW (Trish, Lita et al). It kinda happened with the 2nd tier title and tag titles until Stephanie created the WWE Tag Team Titles and the IC title was reinstated by Austin.

It could work either way, move the tag teams on RAW to smackdown to bolster the brands roster or move the SD! tag teams over to RAW and send some upper tier wrestlers to SD! to compensate!

Just an idea, there's no need to go into great detail about moving specific wrestlers due to storyline consequences! (thinking about Eugene mainly)

Mr. Nerfect
12-11-2004, 06:58 PM
I barely remember the tag titles in general.

It's sad, because it's got so much storytelling potential. You CAN have uneasy allies, which doesn't work as well with singles belts.

The problem is, you can't just throw in OVW stars. People care little enough with established stars. They need a couple of teams to really heat things up, not developmental talent...

...at least, not until some interest has been returned.

Yeah. Garrison Cade & Mark Jindrak would have been much more over if they'd debuted during the Edge & Christian tag team era. I still think E&C should be together, because they're presence alone (and The Dudleys) could really boost the division.

juanker
12-12-2004, 10:03 AM
Does anybody remember the lightheavyweight Title Tournament?? How many of the people in the tournament were "known"??

I think they should just bring in some random OVW or indy tag teams, give the whole tournament A LOT of hype and do some profiles on the teams. Sort of like the America's X Cup in TNA. I think that could create some intrest in the tag titles.

Anybody Thrilla
12-12-2004, 02:17 PM
I still don't understand why they broke up Cade & Jindrak. I thought they had a good look together, and I used to mark out for them. It seemed like they were about to get a push when they feuded with the Dudleyz, but Jindrak went to Smackdown and they were no more.

I really miss a good tag division.

Mr. Nerfect
12-12-2004, 05:27 PM
I still have hopes Garrison Cade will show up at WrestleMania, and cost Kurt Angle a singles match against Shawn Michaels. Garrison Cade then becomes partners with Mark Jindrak, while Luther Reigns moves up to singles wrestling, after defeating Undertaker clean at WrestleMania.

It won't happen, but I can dream.

I think signing Elix Skipper & Christopher Daniels would be a good move, as well as putting Kidman & London back together as heels. I'd try and get Team Canada under contract as well. For the good of the division, they may as well put Edge & Christian back together. Have Christian cut a promo on Edge about how RAW is against Edge, but SmackDown! & Christian aren't. We then see E&C arrive on SmackDown! as a credible heel tag team.

Just team Funaki & Akio together under Ultimo Dragon, then have Scotty 2 Hott y & Shannon Moore team as sort of a modern day punk and a out-of-date freak tag team. Maybe have them use spiked brass knuckles to beat their opponents down. I wouldn't break up Rene Dupree & Kenzo Suzuki just yet either. I'd have Rene Dupree get attire that matches Kenzo Suzuki in a way as well.

Kane Knight
12-13-2004, 01:00 AM
Part of the problem is the total obssession with team splits and singles pushes.

The roster split cut in half pretty much every established tag team the WWE had. Some of the teams have since been reformed, but let's face it. That was the death of the tag team scene. Much as I try, I can't get behind Renée and Kenzo. I think RVD and RMJ would be a good tag team, but right now it still feels like they're singles guys competing together...Sad, since they've held the farkin' belts...

Who else?

Regal and Eugene. It's a novelty, and it's nice ot see Regal with a title, but it took me forever just to remember who the Tag Champs on Raw were. The Raw title scene has bored me to the point I practically snooze out on the matches. The most excitement came from the Edge/Benoit bit, and the titles were used for a SINGLES prop, not even as a prop to the tag team division. what's left?

Very little. Even when tag teams are impressive, there's not enough interest to reward them.

Mr. Nerfect
12-13-2004, 04:41 AM
Part of the problem is the total obssession with team splits and singles pushes.

The roster split cut in half pretty much every established tag team the WWE had. Some of the teams have since been reformed, but let's face it. That was the death of the tag team scene. Much as I try, I can't get behind Renée and Kenzo. I think RVD and RMJ would be a good tag team, but right now it still feels like they're singles guys competing together...Sad, since they've held the farkin' belts...

Who else?

Regal and Eugene. It's a novelty, and it's nice ot see Regal with a title, but it took me forever just to remember who the Tag Champs on Raw were. The Raw title scene has bored me to the point I practically snooze out on the matches. The most excitement came from the Edge/Benoit bit, and the titles were used for a SINGLES prop, not even as a prop to the tag team division. what's left?

Very little. Even when tag teams are impressive, there's not enough interest to reward them.

I agree completely. I remember the days when the World Tag Team Championship had about as much worth as the Heavyweight Title, you just had to share it with someone. People like The Rock wouldn't mind challenging for the titles (storyline-wise), because they meant something at the time. Now it seems the World Tag Team Championship belongs to two singles guys who can't get any other gold.

Let more tag team promos and more unity between the teams, don't have them play two seperate people. I don't see why RVD & Rey Mysterio don't have their own entrance theme and T-Shirt right now. There are lots of little steps to take to repairing the division, and without the WWE showing too much interest in that (at this time), it makes sense for us to assume the division is just going to be kept around to allow some guys TV time and just to keep the titles alive.