PDA

View Full Version : What are the most exciting playoffs?

John la Rock
12-10-2004, 11:41 PM
I'd say Stanley Cup. Especially if the Leafs are in it. So intense.

I miss the NHL :(

The Answer
12-10-2004, 11:46 PM
Hockey at least for the hardcore fans I am always pure nervous watching Leaf playoff games.And when a goal is scored I jump and cheer especially against the Senators

John la Rock
12-10-2004, 11:53 PM
Ya I miss booing the hell out of that clown Alfredson

BCWWF
12-11-2004, 12:53 AM
Hockey is by far the most exciting playoffs in US sports. Everything is balls to the wall 110%. The guys seem like they want it a lot more than in the other sports.

World Series is ok, but I mean in a series like this year it wasn't exciting at all. Baseball doesn't have the same kind of intensity that other sports have.

The Super Bowl is fun to watch, but nobody really cares. It seems like there is more emphasis on the halftime show than the winner. As for the game itself I don't really think it is more exciting then most other games.

NBA Finals is probably the worst, and it hasn't been good since the Bulls last beat the Jazz. Its not exciting anymore. Last year was the best since 98, but the Spurs-Nets in 03 was awful, and all of the Lakers three-peat were too. The NBA finds a way to ruin their playoffs. Last season I remember having to wait until like 10:30 to watch the Wolves play a HOME GAME! In the NBA the best series is never in the Finals.

The World Cup is really exciting if you ask me, but since most people here are Americans they probably wouldn't agree.

road doggy dogg
12-11-2004, 02:26 AM
NHL by far

Zen v.W.o.
12-11-2004, 03:47 AM
I also voted for the NHl..to watch the playoffs in Hockey..the game is already amped up as it is, but to watch in the playoffs, my god..speed, intensity, grit, blood, every save making your heart stop, every shot making you jump up when you think your team has a damn good shot at scoring..with hockey it's all anticipation and you just dont get that with other sports as much.
To watch them skate up and down, full tilt..hardly any whisteles..damn I want some hockey now.

Prime example of playof hockey. Last year, Darcy Tucker levels a full speed sami kapanen into the boards..sami has lost all awareness of where he is, he was basically smoked(have that hit on my pc saved baby) he does not give up and lay down..he tries to find a way back to the bench but is falling all over the place, he looked like he was doing a break dance..his teammates finally pull him over the bench and they go on to score in OT man!! Eliminating the leafs. If sami does not get up, whistle blows, play stops. The hit was brutal and amazing but the courage and drive of sami was even more so. That is the NHL and that is playoff hockey.

Vince Carter whines when he stubs his finger. It just isnt the same in other sports..alot of football games are blowouts, especially the super bowl..world series and playoff games take forever and plod along slowly..basketball is just crap.

DaveWadding
12-11-2004, 03:49 AM
NHL out of those choices.

but the NFL PLAYOFFS themselves are better than the NHL Playoffs. One and Done.

asphyXy
12-11-2004, 03:56 AM
Hockey is the only sport worth a damn.

:(

Triple A
12-11-2004, 06:01 AM
Football, easy, unless you are a piece of shit Canadian. Get out of my fucking face. Best of 7 is more exciting than one major game? Right.

Paranoid Rattlesnake
12-11-2004, 06:26 AM
Either the NRL in australia or the Super League here in England

Mike the Metal Ed
12-11-2004, 06:48 AM
Division 1 Playoffs...

or the NHL.

Cactus Sid
12-11-2004, 07:44 AM
Playoff Semi Finals in Div 1, 2 and 3 are guaranteed to have a classic and Charlton/Sheffield United was one of the best games of all time, definetly the most exciting playoffs.

Paranoid Rattlesnake
12-11-2004, 07:48 AM
Playoff Semi Finals in Div 1, 2 and 3 are guaranteed to have a classic and Charlton/Sheffield United was one of the best games of all time, definetly the most exciting playoffs.
Charlton and Sunderland I think you'll find.

Funky Fly
12-11-2004, 07:50 AM
NHL > NBA > CFL > NFL

Baseball can lick my nuts

Mike the Metal Ed
12-11-2004, 07:57 AM

I really wish I'd have seen Leicester vs Swindon in 1993, that would have been both great and heartbreaking at the same time.

Cactus Sid
12-11-2004, 08:39 AM
Charlton and Sunderland I think you'll find.

Your right, I don't know why I put Sheffield United :-\

Paranoid Rattlesnake
12-11-2004, 08:43 AM
Your right, I don't know why I put Sheffield United :-\
Red and white stripes probably

El Vaquero de Infierno
12-11-2004, 11:22 AM
NHL, baby

Gertner
12-11-2004, 11:37 AM
even though hockey's my fav sport, there's nothing like seeing the Pats stomp everybody, so the NFL. One game for all the marbles.

road doggy dogg
12-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Football, easy, unless you are a piece of shit Canadian. Get out of my fucking face. Best of 7 is more exciting than one major game? Right.

Have you even watched a hockey playoff game?

Cactus Sid
12-11-2004, 12:53 PM
Red and white stripes probably

I know why now

I was thinking Sunderland/Palace, but on Sky Sports News they were talking about Sheff Utd/Rotherham

Mike the Metal Ed
12-11-2004, 01:04 PM

Yes, unforunately it was Senators-Leafs game 7. :(

Jesus Shuttlesworth
12-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Superbowl because I don't like hockey

Zen v.W.o.
12-11-2004, 01:52 PM
The Superbowl has gone way too corporate now. It's devoid of much excitement..the fact it is only one game helps it's cause, but most of the time the games are total blowouts. You know the victor by half time..no great excitement there. Too many play stoppages, too much emphasis on marketing products, not enough emphasis on the actual game anymore. People actually dont watch for the game, they watch to see what new and funny commercials they may get to see...YAAAAY!!! Or the usually overhyped half time shows that feature such credible "artists" as britney spears and janet jackson and timberlake..yippee!

YOUR Hero
12-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Hockey and there is no comparisson.

BCWWF
12-11-2004, 02:52 PM
Anybody who says the Super Bowl is exciting hasn't watched too many Super Bowls. There have been maybe two that weren't decided at half in the past 10 years

The Answer
12-11-2004, 03:14 PM

:rant:

Triple A
12-11-2004, 04:45 PM

Yes, but I do not like hockey. Perhaps if I liked it, I would enjoy it more?

mitch_h
12-11-2004, 04:54 PM
I'm Canadian and I must say the Hockey playoffs aren't all that great. The season and playoffs is so long... and who wants to watch Hockey in June? I find it enjoyable following the Leafs, but once they are gone I totally stop caring. I find Baseball the most exciting, mainly because I am always wanting the Yankees to lose.

Triple A
12-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Yeah, touching on what mitch said, in every other sport (besides basketball somewhat), if the team I like is out, there is no point in giving a shit anymore. In football, you care about every single game. Every game is important and exciting to wtach. Fuck you about hockey. It is not even close.

Head
12-11-2004, 04:59 PM
Baseball, cause that's really the only sport I watch.

BCWWF
12-11-2004, 04:59 PM
I agree with Mitch H about the length of the season. The Stanley Cup finals are in like June, which is way too late. If my team is still in it I would care a lot, but if not by that time its hard to stay focused on the league.

mitch_h
12-11-2004, 05:07 PM
I agree with Mitch H about the length of the season. The Stanley Cup finals are in like June, which is way too late. If my team is still in it I would care a lot, but if not by that time its hard to stay focused on the league.

Yea, that is really my main complaint about the NHL playoffs. I mean it feels like it's been years since I actually watched the Stanley Cup Finals.

Zen v.W.o.
12-11-2004, 05:21 PM
Sorry but if The Gmen are out, which they are soon to be, who cares about teams like the steelers and pats? It's like that for every sport. Except for the hardcore fans who love the sport no matter what.
For me that is Hockey..I go nuts not having hockey after june, and immediately want it back after a month..I could take a 10 month hockey season with minimal time for resting.
Baseball is too long due to it's plodding nature. Basketball is a girly sport so I wont mention it. Football while exciting..the big game is just nothing but hoopla now, and that's unfortunate.

The Naitch
12-11-2004, 05:23 PM
1994 Stanley Cup playoffs

The Naitch
12-11-2004, 05:23 PM
^^^ i was at the robson street riot. Good times. I was like 12 years old or something at the time

BCWWF
12-11-2004, 05:34 PM
Was that Vancouver, right?

Rain Man
12-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Hockey in the poll. But I love watching March Madness for NCAA Basketball.

Triple A
12-11-2004, 06:05 PM
Sorry but if The Gmen are out, which they are soon to be, who cares about teams like the steelers and pats?
Every football game is great to watch, regardless of who's in it. I would love to watch the Steelers vs. the Pats. Football is the GOAT.

BCWWF
12-11-2004, 06:15 PM
Yeah I w as going to ask why March Madness wasn't included, because that is probably more exciting as a whole then the NBA Playoffs

Zen v.W.o.
12-11-2004, 06:21 PM
Every football game is great to watch, regardless of who's in it. I would love to watch the Steelers vs. the Pats. Football is the GOAT.

Even Arizona vs Miami?

VonErich Lives
12-11-2004, 06:26 PM
NFL playoffs, for the reason stated 1 and done.

March Maddness is also great, just because of so many teams.

NBA, NHL and MLB really depends on the teams in, and if it can go 7games.

While the ALCS was great this year, the WS wasn't as exciting (except for the story of the Sox).

If a series is 3-1 or 3-0, it's kinda ho-hum, but if it's a game 7, it's a different story.

VonErich Lives
12-11-2004, 06:27 PM
Even Arizona vs Miami?

Funny you picked that, Arizona won by 1 point because miami missed the XP.

Triple A
12-11-2004, 06:37 PM
Even Arizona vs Miami?
Yes.

When the Bears played the 49ers on Sunday night, I still watched it because football rules, regardless.

The Naitch
12-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Was that Vancouver, right?

yes

Vancouver vs New York Rangers

It went all the way to game 7. The Canucks were so close. Like an inch away, literally, from making it a game 7 overtime Stanley Cup Finals match

AareDub
12-11-2004, 08:47 PM
Hockey is better SOMETIMES. When you have two teams giving it their all through 7 games and it still comes down to the wire, it's fucking sweet. However, that is not always the case. I've seen my fair share of boring series.

In the NFL playoffs all you get is one game, win or go home. This creates a higher percentage of intense and exciting games.

So, when hockey is good, it is the best. However, football has a higher percentage of awesomeness due to the system and therefore got my pick in the poll.

BCWWF
12-11-2004, 09:08 PM
This was probably the best two/three weeks in my life:

Wild down 3-1 against Avalanch first round of playoffs, win 4-3
Wild down 3-1 against Canucks second round of playoffs, win 4-3
Wild down 3-0 against Mighty Ducks third round of playoffs, lose 4-0

Even so, that was one helluva run. We were all going CRAZY!

The Outlaw
12-11-2004, 10:43 PM
Other: March Madness

John la Rock
12-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Well March Madness isn't one of the big 4. That's why there's an "other" option

The Outlaw
12-11-2004, 10:57 PM
And that is why I picked the other option...:)

MVP
12-12-2004, 12:31 AM
NH fucking L.

John la Rock
12-12-2004, 01:11 AM

Hockey, easy unless you are a piece of shit American red-neck :shifty:

VonErich Lives
12-12-2004, 02:39 AM
the issue is blow-outs.

Superbowl that looks like the 85 bears vs. the Pats at half time is boring.

But a 3-0 game 4 in hockey, baseball, basketball is also a yawn.

Now, look at 80's basketball. Philly, Lakers, Celts... those were fun to watch, but so was basketball back then!

The Miz
12-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Yeah, touching on what mitch said, in every other sport (besides basketball somewhat), if the team I like is out, there is no point in giving a shit anymore. In football, you care about every single game. Every game is important and exciting to wtach. Fuck you about hockey. It is not even close.
Name 3 good Superbowls.

The Miz
12-12-2004, 10:25 AM
MLB by the way

Nervous Ferret
12-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Superbowl- 3
Superbowl- 36
Superbowl 38

3 because the Jets won it, and forever completed the AFL/NFL merge.
36 and 38 were especially good, because there the most recent, and they were great games. 38 was probably the best superbowl ever.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
12-12-2004, 01:04 PM
Name 3 good Superbowls.
lol there has been 3 recently...Rams/Titans, Rams/Pats, Panthers/Pats

And I always like the Superbowl, even that year when the Bucs were laying it on Oakland I still thought it was a great game to watch. Its so hyped up and I look foward to it for so long it makes it sick.

Nervous Ferret
12-12-2004, 01:05 PM
lolz. Stims is right. Besides the giants/ravens one the've all been good lately.

The CyNick
12-12-2004, 01:09 PM
I would say March Madness is the best tournament in sports.

I say this as a guy who has hockey running through his blood.

But of the big 4, I would say NHL playoffs are #1. Nothing beats a long overtime game, every trip up and down the ice can be heart attack inducing (if your team is in it).

The Miz
12-12-2004, 02:13 PM
lol there has been 3 recently...Rams/Titans, Rams/Pats, Panthers/Pats

And I always like the Superbowl, even that year when the Bucs were laying it on Oakland I still thought it was a great game to watch. Its so hyped up and I look foward to it for so long it makes it sick.
I only enjoyed one of those games... regardless, the Superbowl is almost always boring as shit. There are like 800x more commercial breaks for ads so it is impossible for either team to get a good rhythm going. No SuperBowl moment will ever be nearly as exciting as Gibson's HR in 88, Carter's HR in 93, Smoltz vs. Morris in 91, Gonzo's blooper in 01, etc.

The Outlaw
12-12-2004, 03:56 PM
I only enjoyed one of those games... regardless, the Superbowl is almost always boring as shit. There are like 800x more commercial breaks for ads so it is impossible for either team to get a good rhythm going. No SuperBowl moment will ever be nearly as exciting as Gibson's HR in 88, Carter's HR in 93, Smoltz vs. Morris in 91, Gonzo's blooper in 01, etc.
:love:

Jesus Shuttlesworth
12-12-2004, 03:58 PM
How do you figure a bloop single is anymore exciting then a game winning field goal? Its just like anything else, there has been plenty of boring World Series aswell.

John la Rock
12-12-2004, 03:59 PM

:y:

not too mention any time New York plays Boston in the ALCS

BCWWF
12-12-2004, 04:26 PM
I don't know, I just don't think baseball is exciting really. Like calling the World Series exciting is not the right way to describe it. Don't get me wrong, I love baseball, and the World Series is cool/fun to watch, but it doesn't have enough action for me to say its more exciting then NHL or NFL.

The Miz
12-12-2004, 05:24 PM
How do you figure a bloop single is anymore exciting then a game winning field goal? Its just like anything else, there has been plenty of boring World Series aswell.
Ok, forget the bloop single. Compare Vinatieris field goals to any of the other events I mentioned. Maybe they were more exciting for you because you're a Pats fan, but for everybody else, no.