PDA

View Full Version : WWE to have an ECW reunion PPV?

KingofOldSchool
12-12-2004, 11:10 AM
WWE To Have An ECW Reunion PPV!
Apparently, WWE is planning on doing a one night ECW reunion PPV.

A couple of months ago Rob Van Dam pushed the idea to McMahon. Also around this time was when Van Dam publicly made minor knocks against the company, in as far as saying ECW used him better and that ECW was the best period of his career. It also makes sense of the recent Byte This show where Heyman, Van Dam, Tommy Dreamer and Rey Mysterio were less than complimentary to aspects of WWE booking and pushing that ECW made better use of their talents, make a lot more sense. Dreamer even knocked David Lagana, the head writer of Smackdown, noting that he was a big ECW fan, yet couldn’t find anything to keep him (Dreamer), one of ECW’s biggest stars, on the active roster. Since Dreamer's role is in John Laurinaitis' new talent relations departments, if s almost impossible to believe he'd speak out against the company, considering his role, if it wasn’t for pushing of an angle. In fact, if not for the leaving of Chhibber, one could be easily think it possible Heyman's demotion could be an angle to set up him rebelliously starting ECW. That is almost assuredly not true, being that WWE, with hours of television, is not about to shoot a major angle like this, particularly working their own front office to the point where Stephanie was very upset the word about Heyman being off became internet knowledge. Wrestlers normally are strongly discouraged from saying anything against the company mindset in public, let alone comparing the company unfavorably to a different modern company.

Van Dam reportedly told McMahon about all the talent under contract that had worked for ECW, with the idea of reviving it for one night. McMahon and others thought at first that it was Heyman's idea, but Heyman was using Van Dam as the messenger. In meetings, Heyman always denied it being his idea, even though others on the inside termed it "Heyman's crusade." Vince was positive about the idea as well as Jim Ross and the Dudleyz. Stephanie kept avoiding putting the idea on her to be discussed docket, so nothing had been done on it. When the DVD did so well, Heyman brought it up again, in front of Vince, forcing Stephanie to deal with it. Stephanie was said to be against it, and nobody knows if it will be done at this point or not. Another source said Stephanie had never publicly said anything against it, but when she privately asked the writing staff their opinions, she implied that she was against as should they be. When word of that got to the wrestlers, there were ex-ECW wrestlers who were led to believe she was the hold-up.

One of the big questions originally was whether the show would be handled like a normal WWE show with the agent involvement, the same type of production, as opposed to a different feel, and really be Heyman's own man creative show. But if it is done, at this point, Heyman will have very little if anything to do with the creative end, as it would be put together by the WWE creative team and the WWE agents, just using former ECW talent currently on the active roster and probably Tommy Dreamer, since he works for the company, and possibly one or two outsiders. The idea was just to do one show, but as is natural once the door is opened, several former ECW types, many of whom were frustrated with their lack of push, were hoping it could become an annual thing where they could play a major role on a big show.

Below is the list of all EX-ECW talent wrestling with WWE right now:
Rob Van Dam
Chris Jericho
Chris Benoit
Eddie Guerrero
Rey Mysterio
Bubba Ray Dudley
D-Von Dudley
Spike Dudley
Rhyno
Tajiri
Tazz
Lita
Simon Dean
Nunzio
Chilly Willy
Dawn Marie
Mick Foley
Stevie Richards
Al Snow

That list alone could make an excellent PPV.

More on this breaking news as it comes.

- WrestlingObserver Newsletter

Fignuts
12-12-2004, 11:14 AM
They'll fuck it up somehow.

Innovator
12-12-2004, 11:31 AM
just the idea of McMahon listening to RVD makes me a skeptic

Dave Youell
12-12-2004, 11:57 AM
This would all make sense since Heyman was on radio this week slagging off Vince again, I mean that would be careerer suicide

loopydate
12-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Adding to the list, Danny Doring and C.W. Anderson have both appeared on Velocity in the last couple of months.

The CyNick
12-12-2004, 01:02 PM
I dont think they understand the appeal of ECW.

ECW's main appeal was that it wasn't WCW or WWE, and it didn't look or feel like either of those promtoions. If the WWE booked this show, they'd likely do it in a normal WWE venue (instead of say ECW Arena or the Manhattan Center), hell I could even see a WWE ring (with an ECW apron....feel the excitement) and a huge WWE style set. Thats not ECW, thats just another WWE show.

The other problem is that most of what made ECW unique either wont be allowed on a WWE promoted show, or has been done a thousand times since it was introduced in ECW.

IF they were to do such a show, it might do a decent number on PPV, and it might even be a decent show, but they'll never be able to recapture ECW.

Volchok
12-12-2004, 02:43 PM
to me when i think of ECW i think of Hardcore Wrestling... no rules who gives a shit if i break my neck or not wrestling... not WWE wrestling were you cant do a school boy pin.. i mean common if WWE did have a ECW ppv it wouldnt be the ECW wrestling everyone grew to love.. it would be WWE style, no going all out just for cheers..

The Naitch
12-12-2004, 02:55 PM
yeah RVD was high.

Lara Emily
12-12-2004, 04:21 PM
SO it would be ECW without Heyman in creative control, that just screams crap.

Gertner
12-12-2004, 05:02 PM
no no no! Don't they see what ECW stood for? Having an ECW ppv presented by the WWE is totally against everything ECW stood for. I was a HUGE ECW fan and even though i wish it were back, not like this.

HeartBreakMan2k
12-12-2004, 05:31 PM
It will not be Paul E. in charge and it will be a WWE style event, thus it will not be ECW. It will be WWE ECW which won't even come close to being as great as ECW once was. That being said, I'd still cum on myself for an ECW alumn PPV.

Xero
12-12-2004, 05:43 PM
Like everyone is saying, it would be WWE style. I could see WWE renting out the ECW arena or the Manhattan Center, but that's about it. If WWE brought back some major former players just for this, like Raven or Sabu, then it could be great even under WWE rule.

I would imagine, however, that only the main event would be an "ECW Rules" match, which would suck. If the entire event was under ECW rules, even a bit watered down, it would be a huge success IMO.

John la Rock
12-12-2004, 05:49 PM
Ya ECW run by Vince McMahon would sink faster than the XFL

Mr. Nerfect
12-12-2004, 06:18 PM
I think if they let Paul Heyman do it, fine. If Heyman could prove that using little money, a bit of talent and a just his creative ability, that he can produce a PPV that draws better that Summerslam, he wold get back in the WWE's good books, IMO.

I have nothing against the PPV being a WWE ring, with a WWE intro at the start (just the little intro with all the shows flashing up on it), but I'd hope they'd let the guys do whatever they want. If they all put their heads together and worked their asses off, we could even see a successful brand in the future. Have them call it by a classic ECW name. I'm not sure if they had annual PPVs or not (since I never really followed it), but just give it a name so that it would be more likely to appear in ECW's history than ECW's.

Image the card, though:

Fatal Fourway
Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho vs. Eddie Guerrero vs. Dean Malenko (bring him out of retirement for one night, maybe Lance Storm as well, but I don't know how a five-way would work)

Triple Threat Tag Team Match
Rey Mysterio & Rob Van Dam vs. Rhyno & Tajiri vs. The Dudleys

Submission Match
Tazz vs. Al Snow

Cruiserweight-Style Match
Nunzio vs. Simon Dean (maybe call him Nova just for a night)

Singles Match
Spike Dudley vs. Chilly Willy (I haven't seen Chilly Willy wrestle, so I don't know his style that well)

Singles Match
Dawn Marie vs. Lita

Singles Match
Mick Foley vs. Steven Richards (they don't have much history together, but I think Foley would be willing to give it a go, and a high-profile match like this would do Richards the world of good).

Maybe have Mick Foley, Lance Storm, Dean Malenko and/or Tommy Dreamer serve as referee(s) for the night. Have Paul Heyman and Al Snow or Tommy Dreamer on commentary.

Or basically just let Heyman run it all. They probably won't but it would be nice if they did.

Innovator
12-12-2004, 06:22 PM
Considering Sabu is in no shape to compete after his hospital stay, I don't think he'd make it.

Everyone knows how I'd feel about seeing Raven do something worthwhile instead of jobbing to the shoulder block of death.

Innovator
12-12-2004, 06:25 PM
I'd go to the show to start a WE WANT PAUL E. chant...all throughout the night

The One
12-13-2004, 04:24 PM
No...No...NO!

As everyone before me has mentioned it would be a complete fuck up...Plus in order to do it right Vince would ned to hire on a bunch of old ECW stars for one night performances...

If he could get Raven (doubtful), Sandman, both Saturn and Kronus, as well as Lynn, Credible and Dreamer...then maybe...but it won't happen.

Plus I don't know how much I actually buy this anyway. It isn't in Vince's nature...though it would bring in money...but still. And if they did do it, where would they hold it? If I had one wish it would be to hold it at MSG...no big set, just sell out the entire fucking arena...having 20,000 chanting "ECW! ECW!" would be fun...but again this is all so out there it is hardly worth mentioning...still to dream of one big send off done right....ahhhhh....

Dave Youell
12-13-2004, 04:39 PM
Do you really think that it would draw as huge as everyone thinks? I mean really?

The casual WWE fan may be put off as they don't understand the ECW thang and ECW in it's prime couldn't draw a 1.0, honestly this would be a watered down shitfest. Not to say that I wouldn't buy it, because I would in a second as would many people that I know, but the mass population I feel, wouldn't

Splaya
12-13-2004, 05:01 PM
Anyone notice how Stephanie was against it. And why would that be

Oh that's right the GAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA was never in ECW

Stupid bitch :rant: