PDA

View Full Version : "Best Match"

The One
12-13-2004, 06:47 PM
A friend of mine and I got into a little discussion/argument on ehat the best match ever was. I think our key difference was one simple thing. What is a match? The way I have always defined a match in my mind is a confrontation between A and B. I my eyes a match begins and ends with the sound of the bell. My friend took a difference and very valid approach in saying that since Pro Wrestling is not just about wrestling, it is about storylines, "matches" can be decades in the making. I give you a perfect example. WrestleMania XX was headlined by Benoit, Michaels and Hunter. It was a great match, but honestly in the history of this industry, did those three bodies put on the best 20 minutes of wrestling moves ever? I would bet most everyone would say no. However the point could be made that it may be considered the best match ever if you have fallowed Benoit's (and hell Hunter and Michael's) career. In that case Chris Benoit finally getting his reward for 20 years of work has the emotional aspect which might sway some to say it's the best match ever.

My question to you is this, when considering what the "Best Match" of the year, month, ever, etc....do you look at a match as the emotional build-up (storyline or real life) or do you look at it purly as if there was no future and no past, just move for move?

Mr. Nerfect
12-13-2004, 07:11 PM
Wow, good question. I am not an expert on anything from Ric Flair, Bret Hart, Ricky Steamboat or anyone pretty much before the late 90's.

But honestly, if someone has the time and knowledge to compile a list of top notch mathches that are all "the best" because of seperate qualities they possess over the others, than I be thankful.

Rock vs. Hogan (WrestleMania X8) and Hogan vs. Andre (WrestleMania III) could be up their for fan participation and "epicness".

Gouda
12-13-2004, 07:39 PM
It think it is very much possible to have an amazing match with no buildup whatsoever.

However, matches are made all the much more epic if they have a large buildup and the fans are really going crazy for it.

So I think the "best macthes" have a combination of good wrestling as well as having the fans emtionally invested in the match.

On their own, they can still be memorable, sure, but together they are most effective.

McLegend
12-13-2004, 08:39 PM
I can just look at the match for the wrestling and not the storyline. Like the Bret Hart Vs. Mr. perfect match. I know they had a feud, but I don't remember it. I do know that match was one of the best matches I have ever seen.

Yeah though when you add the stroyline to match it adds to the excitment, and sometimes the storyline leading up to a match is much better then the actual match. Like the Y2J and HHH match at Wrestlemania for the undisputed title. Great storyline, but the match was disappointing.

SuperSlim
12-14-2004, 05:06 PM
can't really pick just one thing. I mean for build up I would go with Jericho vs. Shawn at WM XIX.

I mean the actual feud started back in Dec. but they didn't actually have their match until Mania and it was a good one.

for fan participation you have to go with Hogan vs. Rock or Hogan vs. Andre. They both have it unbelievably well.

For ya know real life following history you would have to say the WM XX main event with Benoit finally winning it.

I mean the list can go on and on and on.

So I really can't answer that question.

Champion of Europa
12-14-2004, 07:13 PM
For buildup and such, I'd go with either Cactus vs. HHH in a Street Fight. Phenomenal match with fantastic buildup.

Also, Jericho vs. HHH in the Last Man Standing Match. The buildup was great: HHH's thing against Jericho cause of Stephanie, HHH abusing Hebner, Hebner fast counting Jericho's phantom title win, Jericho getting the Brooklyn Brawler a win over HHH, and finally HHH destroying Jericho's ribs with the sledgehammer. It just escalated so brilliantly.

John la Rock
12-14-2004, 10:02 PM
In my opinion, a build-up is a MUST for a good wrestling match

TheBest example I can think of is Rock vs Austin from Wrestlemania XV which I regard as the best build up ever.

Vince and his Corporation's goal was for Austin to never regain the WWF belt. Vince put Austin through many obstacles, Stone Cold had to beat the Undertaker in a Burried Alive match to have a spot in the Royal Rumble Match, he was forced to be # 1 in the Rumble (altho Austin lost), He found a loop whole and had to beat Vince in a Cage Match to go to Mania, and he finally beat Rock (Vince's Corporate Champ) at Wrestlemania to become champ.

BRILLIANT STORYTELLING is the first incredient to a great match.

Too bad WWE can't come up with them these days :(

Mr. Nerfect
12-14-2004, 10:21 PM
In my opinion, a build-up is a MUST for a good wrestling match

TheBest example I can think of is Rock vs Austin from Wrestlemania XV which I regard as the best build up ever.

Vince and his Corporation's goal was for Austin to never regain the WWF belt. Vince put Austin through many obstacles, Stone Cold had to beat the Undertaker in a Burried Alive match to have a spot in the Royal Rumble Match, he was forced to be # 1 in the Rumble (altho Austin lost), He found a loop whole and had to beat Vince in a Cage Match to go to Mania, and he finally beat Rock (Vince's Corporate Champ) at Wrestlemania to become champ.

BRILLIANT STORYTELLING is the first incredient to a great match.

Too bad WWE can't come up with them these days :(

Whole I'm not disagree with you, I think brilliant storytelling is important for a great blow-off match and build-up is important for a great blow-ff match.

A match like Eddie Guerrero vs. Funaki can be a great to an excellent match just with ring skills alone. Whether or not this turns into a feud, and continues to draw depends on the storytelling (in-ring as well as outside of the ring).

Bret Hart vs. Kurt Angle would be great nowadays because both have been dominant for an era, both are great wrestlers, and both are worshipped as wrestling gods by some. This can make a great feud, because their is a similiar story to both these men (build-up for a match doesn't need ot be directly between the two participating men).

Angle vs. Guerrero, although some may disagree with me, had fairly poor storytelling, with the matches being good, they weren't great (at least, IMO) for these men. Both are future legends, and can have ***** matches, but I have to say without the build-up, these matches did suffer.

I don't know what I'm trying to prove, but I guess matches can be great, but as without build-up, and brilliant storytelling, the feud and interest itself can suffer.

John la Rock
12-14-2004, 10:57 PM
I see where your coming from and that's cool

But I'd rather watch Hogan vs Andre with months of build-up rather than have Paul London and AJ Styles just thrown together in a match

that's just me

FakeLaser
12-14-2004, 11:08 PM
Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart, Wrestlemania X. Emotional buildup, incredible match. Best match ever.

mitch_h
12-14-2004, 11:51 PM
Yea, I was actually thinking about this a couple days ago. I was watching Aries vs American Dragon from testing the limits. The match is 75 minutes of just great wrestling... but during the match I was like... there was little build up, no titles on the line, no #1 contendership on the line. It was just two guys wrestling for 75 minutes. While it was an absolutely fantastic match and a MOTYC, I just had no emotional attatchment to it, so it wasn't really one of my favourite matches ever.

Shaggy
12-15-2004, 12:08 AM
The build up to a match is definently something that is important and shouldnt be over looked. Many fans just cant wait for something like that to happen. HHH vs Shawn Michaels Hell in a Cell has great build up but the match just didnt jump off right. Because think about it....HBK and HHH in a Cage....definently a great match thing if you were a wrestling fan and watched them in the late 90s.

As for what I look for I would have to go with the match alone. I look at all the moves in the match and watch for the crowd. Usually the crowd will know if its a good match or not. And when I look at that match I think of all the stuff they could do and what they did. Jericho Vs HBK at Mania was definently a great match in my eyes. Benjamin's first time against HHH on Raw was also a great match and that had little build up.

Another example of a great build up but a crappy match as the outcome was Undertaker vs Stone Cold at Summerslam (The Highway to Hell one)

John la Rock
12-15-2004, 12:51 AM
isn't that the same match which Taker did a top rope leg drop through Austin, through the Announce table?

Fignuts
12-15-2004, 01:00 AM
Benoit v.s. angle
Rumble 03'

nWo 4 Life
12-15-2004, 06:02 AM
With me, I just look at the actual match.

I mean, when you're watching wrestling week after week, you get to know the storyline.

But if you tape/buy a PPV, and you watch it a few years later, you have either forgot most of the feud/build up or completely forgotten it.

I was watching KOTR 2000 a couple days ago, and had completely forgotten about the Benoit/Rikishi feud, but it didn't matter because their KOTR match was (although short) was great (but then again, Benoit makes any match look great).

Point is, although it was one of those revolutionary storylines, you forget the build-up over time. People remember Rock/Hogan at Mania because:
a. it was an epic encouter, a dream match in some ways.
b. it was recent
c. because the build-up was kinda revolutionary (the nWo invasion, Hogan smashing Rock's ambulance etc.)

Someone mentioned Bret/Henning. I can imagine this being a ***** match, but because it was so long ago, if you watch it now you won't remember most of the feud (if any). But it doesn't matter because the match in itself tells a story.

Anyway, I'm rambling. So I'll leave you with that to quote from and put me down with.

Yashamaga
12-15-2004, 03:28 PM
One of my favorite matches of all time is Austin/Rock at WMX7

The video montages for that match with the recap of the feud and w/ 'My Way' playing in the background. It was the best build up for a match besides maybe Sting/Hogan

And the match itself was just amazing. The fans were into it 110%

Loose Cannon
12-15-2004, 03:59 PM
Buildup and story definately make the match for me. I don't know how you can care about the guys in the ring or why they are fighting if there is no story behind it.

LK
12-15-2004, 04:10 PM
Build up is certainly an important factor in a match. Like LC said people will care more about a match between guys who have been feuding for a while than just two guys put together for a one night match. Another important thing is the guys invovled obviously. When the two guys have great chemistry and everything just clicks. Example being Angle/Benoit.