PDA

View Full Version : Michael Vick Resigns with Falcons

Rain Man
12-23-2004, 04:42 PM
Michael Vick resigns with the Falcons for 100 million with a 37 million dollar signing bonus. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1952621)

He is has a bigger contract than Peyton Manning which I think is ridiculous. He is too much of a liability to give him such a fucking huge contract. Yes he is the most excitng player, yes he puts people in the stands, and yes he is the whole Falcons franchise. But his numbers are pretty bad, and everytime he runs the ball you have no idea what may happen.

MoRcHeEbA
12-23-2004, 04:54 PM
huge liability :wtf: one freak injury and he's a liabilty... You make no sesne... I suppose T.O should have a huge contract cause he's a liability to run down field and break his ankle :roll:

MoRcHeEbA
12-23-2004, 04:55 PM
not to mention he's led his team to the playoffs both years he's been healthy... and not to mention he buts fans in any stadium he's in. Well it is a huge contract I've heard people saying Brady is going to get a contract bigger then mannings aswell.

Rain Man
12-23-2004, 05:07 PM
huge liability :wtf: one freak injury and he's a liabilty... You make no sesne... I suppose T.O should have a huge contract cause he's a liability to run down field and break his ankle :roll:
Funny how you edited that T.O. thing in... Funny how everyone gets pissed at me for talking about the Eagles but I think everyone else talks baout the Eagles more than I do.. :lol: Anyway...

So your saying when he runs down the field and gets flipped, and dives for touchdowns the Falcons aren't holding their breath making sure he gets up?

MoRcHeEbA
12-23-2004, 05:08 PM
I just didn't want to make a new post for the TO thing... :o anyway I'm sure they do hold their breath, but it's the same thing now when TO runs over the middle of the field and someone grabs him it makes no difference :p

MoRcHeEbA
12-23-2004, 05:09 PM
I still don't see how you feel he's a liability when he's been injured for a few games one year but led his team to the playoffs twice when he's been healthy for the season.

Supreme Olajuwon
12-23-2004, 05:09 PM
Look at last year and look at this year for the Falcons

Vick is the only person in the NFL who can single handedly win a game

Jesus Shuttlesworth
12-23-2004, 05:12 PM
Yeah, even thoug he's an Eagles fan he made a good point about the injuries. His style of play will have him getting banged up all the time. You never know though, he could just be like Farve and play through the pain.

Manning set the bar for everyone else in the NFL though..wait and see a bunch of huge contracts now

Rain Man
12-23-2004, 05:17 PM
I'm just saying lets say another thing like what happened last year to Vick happens in the future. We all know what happens then the Falcons suck. In the NFL injuries make or break a team we have seen that with the Falcons last year, the Panthers this year, in a way the Vikings, the Patriots defense is still hurt they aren't as dominate as they were last year. And maybe this year with T.O. I'm just saying if Vick gets injured that money is gona all to waste.

Innovator
12-23-2004, 05:18 PM
His contract also expires in like 2012 or something. With his way of playing I don't think he'll be healthy for the most part.

MoRcHeEbA
12-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Meh I don't really see why you're all on his nuts after one injury when he's a proven winner... :-\ sure maybe he's got a dangerous style of play, but what's to say manning doesn't get creamed breaks his shoulder and is out for the year.

Supreme Olajuwon
12-23-2004, 05:28 PM
Even if Vick does get banged up he still has the arm to be a pocket passer

The Snake
12-23-2004, 05:28 PM
The contract amount is deserved, no question the guy is a whole other level of player. I can't imagine penalizing someone for doing everything within them to win, since that's basically the stuff highlight reels are made of. Maybe for the Falcons to protect themselves they should have thrown in a games played clause or something.

The Snake
12-23-2004, 05:30 PM

I was going to say the same thing. Same critisisms were made that Randal Cunningham couldn't be a pocket passer, and then he showed off his arm durring his stint with the Vikings and his later Eagles years.

Rain Man
12-23-2004, 05:32 PM
Snake--- What are you talking about penalizing someone? What?

MoRcHeEbA
12-23-2004, 05:34 PM
I think he meant not giving him as much money :o also have you thought that there's a good chance he's not gonna be there at the end of his contract and that it's probably built so like in his 8-10th years are probably like 20 mill those seasons even though he might not be playing anymore and he wont' be getting the money anyway :o.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
12-23-2004, 05:38 PM
I don't know, I think he is much better when he is throwing on the run personally.

He isn't that tall, so having the huge D-Line in his grill when he is trying to pass from the pocket makes a difference. I am not questioning his arm though, he has a gun.

He isn't the best player in the NFL, but he is the most exciting. Hes also putting a shitload of people in the seats, and the Falcons win with him and lose without him. The 10 years/100 million isnt that big a thing though. It's the money he got upfront is what kind of surprised me. More then Manning? I don't know, I guess the Falcons feel he is earning that by putting asses in the seats and picking up W's.

Another thing people forget is that hes young, and probably still learning the game. Hes def still learing the offense, but I think the coach they have now is a perfect fit for Vick.

Boomer
12-23-2004, 05:52 PM
They gave him such a long term contract because of salary cap concerns....and wouldn't you want a guy that good for that long?

VonErich Lives
12-23-2004, 06:14 PM
umm, hello.

NFL contracts, they're not gauranteed.

The reason for the length is they get to spread out the signing bonus over the length of the contract and puts less hit on the cap.

Now, say after 6yrs he gets injured and is done, then they take the hit for the remaining cap money that year.

Smart contract on the Falcons part as for as managing the signing bonus and as Cheebs said, the guy puts butts in the seats.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
12-23-2004, 06:28 PM
the money isn't gauranteed but I think everyone is more shocked over him getting more money up front then Payton. He got the largest signing bonus in the NFL.

MoRcHeEbA
12-23-2004, 06:31 PM
by 3.5 mill :-\ I dunno but I bet Vick brings in more people then manning so it's not the end of the world..

Jesus Shuttlesworth
12-23-2004, 06:37 PM
Yea I don't know. I'm not saying its the biggest deal of all time or anything but I was kinda surprised. The Falcons will figure it out so they take the littlest cap hit possible. These guys know what they are doing when it comes to that shit.

The Outlaw
12-23-2004, 09:03 PM
I dunno, did you see Indy vs. Baltimore @ Indy? Guarantee you the place is packed again this week. They both bring fans...but yeah Vick might bring more, doesnt mean hes a better player, just more exciting.

I'm not that surprised really :-\

MoRcHeEbA
12-23-2004, 09:07 PM
yeah it's not like he's getting A-rod money :p